What's up in November?

Lilywhite

My interview is at 9.30 this morning - I am up early and have prepared a long list of questions. Having read their latest inspection report and spoken to at least one person who used to work there, it all looks and sounds good, so fingers crossed ! I don't expect to be offered it on the spot, as I know there are other candidates, but I should be able to get at least some idea.

Good luck! Really hope you get it so you can leave your dumb boss behind. :D

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You and me both - the home looks great with no nasty smells, and I could tell straight away when I walked through the door that it is a lot more relaxed.

I had a long chat with both the Manager and Administrator and was then shown around the home. There were some interesting questions about coping with negativity and so on though that did make me wonder, but I don't think if there is any it can possinly be worse than where I already am ! The fact that this is a charity and non profit making tells me pretty much everything that I need to know, as the focus will be on the welfare of the staff and residents as opposed to the Directors bank balance ...

The housekeepers I am told have just had a 4 percent pay rise, which is more than I have had for 3 1/2 years, and there are all sorts of bonusses and other things that bring the pay up to more than I am getting here. It is not of course all about money, but this will compensate for the fact that it is slightly less hours. The fact that it is a later start at 8.30 rather than 7am will make a huge difference also, and no doubt my levels of knackeredness - I will be able to start going out in the evenings again as I won't have to get up at 6am every day.

All in all, no matter which way I look at if I am offered this I will be so much better off in every way. They said I should know either tomorrow or Monday, so all I can do I guess is wait.

Xan is finally feeling a lot better and is eating again - hurrah! It's not a lot, but it's a damned sight more than he's eaten the whole rst of the week combined, which is great! He's busy munching on some mozzarella sticks just now and has just informed me that not only am I the best Mummy ni the world, but I'm the "best cooker" too. :) Working tonight so an early dinner for me, but a late night...

I got the job ! :jump: :jump: :jump:

I was at work about 1pm today having just finished the laundry when one of the nurses came and found me and told me that Coran had rung and to ring her back. When I did, she told me that a letter had arrived offering me the job. I am absolutely ecstatic and over the moon ! I didn't realise in fact how much I wanted this and how important it was to me, and had to go and sit down for a few minutes to compose myself !

I have to then ring them on Monday to accept the offer (the administrator isn't there today) and to arrange a time to come in and fill in all the various forms - CRB, bank details and so on. I also need to check whether they want me to wait until the new CRB comes through before handing in my notice, or if they are happy for me to start using the one I already have. If so, then I might be handing in my notice on Monday ! The other housekeepers are not going to be happy, but I know I am !

:D:exc::doowapstart:

Edited by Talisman

Thanks everyone - I didn't realise how many friends I had on here, or on facebook for that matter.

Tomorrow then is the big day when I have to let them all know at work. I have been walking around there all day today with an insane grin on my face - I am sure they were all wondering what I was on and wishing they could have some ! I will have to though let my Manager know in the morning and ring the new job during my tea break to make arrangements to go down there and fill in all the forms, and ask them about the CRB, whether they want me to give my notice in now or wait for the new one to come through. I am easy either way, although it would be nice in some ways to wait so that I can start after Christmas. I will have to though see what they say.

I am celebrating two things tonight then - the new job and the jackets I have just bought on ebay - a top quality waterproof with matching zip in fleece for £49 - normally they are worth mroe than £300. God has certainly smiled on me these past few days - and if I might say so it's about time too !

I have spoken to the new job and accepted the offer. The Manager where I am then also knows, as do the other Housekeepers - our Handyman wanted to know if there might be a job for him as he is as fed up with being there as I am, and I said I would put in a good work. I have to go there then tomorrow to fill in all the forms and get the ball rolling for my CRB. Once that comes through I cam give them a months notice. It's just a matter of waiting then now.

ok so I'm a bit late, but CONGRATULATIONS on your new job :)

In my news i havent been around all that much this last week, ive been so busy with life :( I had the remembrance parade yesterday that we took part in with the band and its such an amazing and overwhelming experience. Next year will be ten years for me taking part in the parade and every year its more emotional and overwhelming.

As I start to relax more at work knowing that the end is now near the doubts are starting to creep in. I have had several really moving moments with various residents as well today that have tugged at the heartstrings - one of the residents went home today after having been with us for a few months. He was and is such a lovely man who has been through such a lot in his life - fighting in the war and losing his son in a car accident, where he and his wife had to make the heartbreaking decision to switch off the life support.

I had an interesting conversation too with one of the other younger male residents who has cerebral palsy. Yesterday we were talking about Remembrance Day and I commented to him that I didn't suppose he had been allowed to join the Army and fight - it was a simple off the cuff remark that I didn't really think that much of. He said to me today though that had upset him a little, but he was glad that I said it all the same, as all of his life he has fought against his disablity and my stating that has made him reassess aand realise that he has to count his blessings and be grateful for all that he has had and learnt. We shared a little hug and both of us had damp eyes !

All this has though understandably made me wonder whether it is the right thing to leave. I have to though realise that this is all part of the letting go, and remember that the reason I am feeling happier is because I know that I am going. It doesn't then change my decision and there will be no going back. The attitude and behaviour of the Director cannot and should not be tolerated, and if I stay it is sending a signal to him and everyone else there that this is acceptable when it is clearly not. A line has to be drawn.

I have then this afternoon been over to the new home to fill in all the forms, CRB, bank details, uniform and so on as the quicker I do that the quicker the CRB will come through and the quicker I can give my notice. It will be sad leaving all those lovely residents behind but none of them are really a reason to stay, as everything changes, and a year from now some of them may not even be alive. I know that I have done good work and changed lives by being there and that will continue with a new set of people in a new environment. They are though losing a very good person even if I do say so myself, and it isn't just me either, but Coran as well, for she has often volunteered there helping at the parties and so on, and the staff all know her as a friend as they do me. His loss though is someone else's gain, and I guess that in time he will realise that. I am not the first person to leave there, and the way things are, I certainly won't be the last !

Edited by Talisman

Hey, who left those cookies on the table........me thinks that Abby delicious has been about............yippee! :flowers2: Hello there girly girl! How's things?

A good day today for me. Husband has been very unwell this week and has grumily been snoozing and mooching at home.He doesn't do 'ill', and it's been 5 years since he last took sick leave, and that was for a blood clot! He is feeling much better now , and is much better company to be in, bless him. ;)

There is ironing and vacuuming to be done, but I may leave that until Monday when he has headed back to work. :D