What's up in November?

Lilywhite

Blow out the candles in your pumpkins and finish off those sweets left over from the trick or treaters, for November is here!

For those of us in the UK, the nights have well and truly drawn in, thanks to the alteration of the clocks and I, for one, have felt the temperatures dropping recently. This is the time of year that I love. There is nothing better than snuggling up under a blanket, with the rain beating at the windows and immersing yourself in a good book. This is what I plan to do over the coming weeks, although just how much time I will actually get to do this, we will have to see.

What are your plans for the coming weeks? What are you up to at the moment?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In two weeks I will go from full time employment (40 hrs/week) to only working 2 days a week (18 hrs). I am looking forward to it, no matter what some think. :) And then at the end of the year, I retire completely.

Edited by muggle not

Congrats, Muggle! I'd be looking forward it too :D Hey, how'd you guys come out with Sandy? Okay I hope.

I think the snuggling up bit is the only part I enjoy about this time of year, Kat. We turn our clocks back this coming Sunday, which means it'll be getting dark really early. For now the weather is still pleasant and sunny, but once the snow sets in I get grumpy fast. What bugs me most is waking up and driving to work in the dark, then driving home in the dark at the end of the day. I need light! :cool:

Busy weekend for me, as per usual. Dropping mom off at the airport on Saturday, checking out a dog kennel for Emma the Beagle, packing boxes, waiting for the satellite TV guy to come by, getting the phone/internet installed, etc... Sigh.

Hope everyone has a great November!

We've had some beautiful weather here the last couple of days. Hot and sunny, and no wind. :P Hopefully that means we'll get the summer we missed out on last year.

I babysat my gorgeous 2 1/2 year old nephew this afternoon. He's so adorable. Had great fun with him playing trains, cars and balls. He rung me up before hand to ask me to get the train set out. Amazing he remembered it when he was last hear in Jan or Feb and that was the first time he'd seen it.

Week off starts in just over 5½ hours and I think part of it is going to be spent sorting through my book collection and having a good clear out of books I've picked up over the years but am never going to read.

I also need to have a run through my DVD collection as well.

I've had a really busy week - I started as a volunteer classroom assistant with the primary 1 classes at Xan's school (he's in nursery class). I'm doing three mornings a week - Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So this was my first week and it was fantastic! I'm really enjoying working with the kids - they really are a lovely bunch. You can read what we got up to HERE. :)

Good for you Muggle - I too have made a decision regarding my work this week - namely that it is time for me to move on. The news that our Manager has yet again resigned has precipitated it - this will be our third Manager now in 18 months. The fact that the Director has still not replied to my letter asking for a pay rise (after 6 weeks) is also a factor, as is the fact that one of the carers has twice this week had a go at me for what she terms "getting in her way", when all I was trying to do was my own job. In short, I have had enough of it, and so when I got home on Wednesday after having made the decision I got straight online to see what was out there. I found a housekeeping job in another home the closing date for which was that very day, so I sent my application off and while I was at work today they rang me to arrange an interview! With a bit of luck, I will soon then be telling my bully boss where he can stick it !

Edited by Talisman

Good for you June, I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are successful.

I've enjoyed working 4 days a week since the beginning of the year now. My company are making up to 1,800 people redundant over Europe but my boss has just told me that my job is safe. So I'm very pleased to hear that. I could retire but I don't want to just yet - especially as my daughter is getting married next year and we all know how much a wedding costs!! :blush2:

Edited by SueK

Congrats, Muggle! I'd be looking forward it too :D Hey, how'd you guys come out with Sandy? Okay I hope.

Hope everyone has a great November!

Thanks, peacefield......I finally lost most of my interest in work, although the last 4+ years have been very interesting and I had a lot of fun.

We were ok here in North Carolina, however, my GD in NYC had a tough time.

Do you live far enough north to miss most of the storm?

now that Halloween is over, the Thanksgiving planning starts!

Yeah, one of my favorite holidays. Son and wife are driving up from florida, GD is flying in from NYC, other GD is flying in from California (Hollywood :) ). I told my wife that I would order a Honey Baked ham and order a turkey already cooked from a top notch local hotel. We will only have to prepare the side dishes.....LOL, we are going to have our big dinner the day-after Thanksgiving since the GD from California will be arriving late on Thanksgiving day.

Edited by muggle not

Wow Laura, a real life changing time then? All I can add is "You go for it!" :D

A busy old time of things lately. From morning to night I am rushing in and out, only have five minutes here and there to actually chill or do things like eat! Another week or so or manic and life should settle down to it's usual pace. Tonight is a quiet one though, and I am looking forward to the chinese takeaway that husband has promised later. :D

Good for you Muggle - I too have made a decision regarding my work this week - namely that it is time for me to move on. The news that our Manager has yet again resigned has precipitated it - this will be our third Manager now in 18 months. The fact that the Director has still not replied to my letter asking for a pay rise (after 6 weeks) is also a factor, as is the fact that one of the carers has twice this week had a go at me for what she terms "getting in her way", when all I was trying to do was my own job. In short, I have had enough of it, and so when I got home on Wednesday after having made the decision I got straight online to see what was out there. I found a housekeeping job in another home the closing date for which was that very day, so I sent my application off and while I was at work today they rang me to arrange an interview! With a bit of luck, I will soon then be telling my bully boss where he can stick it !

Good luck June!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

University live is driving me crazy mostly because it eats away all my precious time and 90% is just plain boring. They tell me these courses are useful later on. They said the same thing 5 years ago and I still have had no use of my extended knowledge on the french revolution. We will finally begin with the programming courses next week though. Things might finally get interesting.

My humble home next to the railway still has no central heating or warm running water but I raised and isolated the bedroom floor and wallpapered it too while I was at it. Now my bedroom is reasonably warm and not drafty anymore ^.^. Getting central heating next :D I cant live trough the winter if my nose freezes off because i let the fire go out by accident. ^.^

Desperately looking for Blood Of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski after a very exceptionally trippy dream where i was doing the same thing. I found The Last Wish of the same author and read it a few days ago. Finding second hand versions of some unknown polish writer in Sweden is proving the be rather hard.

I have the day from absolute hell and an absolute gutful of work - to be honest, if I didn't need the money I would have just walked out today and left them too it, I really did feel that fed up.

I got to work today to be told that both of the other housekeepers who were to be on duty (one in the kitchen and one housekeeping) were sick. That left me to do the whole bloody lot - cleaning the rooms and the rest of the house, doing all the laundry and all the kitchen work all on my own. I know that it was bad luck that 2 people were both sick at the same time, but to my mind this situation it not due to that, it is due to the fact that they do not have enough staff in the first place - if they had 2 kitchen assistants, instead of relying on us housekeepers on the Kitchen Assistants days off, then this sort of thing would not happen.

It makes me so mad as carers would never be expected to work in this way, they would get agency staff in to help, but not with us. We are not important enough for that, but we are important enough to moan at when there are a few specks of dust. All of this has just reinforced the fact that I have made absolutely the right choice to get out of there. As far as I am concerned, it can't come a day too soon.

I have the day from absolute hell and an absolute gutful of work - to be honest, if I didn't need the money I would have just walked out today and left them too it, I really did feel that fed up.

I got to work today to be told that both of the other housekeepers who were to be on duty (one in the kitchen and one housekeeping) were sick. That left me to do the whole bloody lot - cleaning the rooms and the rest of the house, doing all the laundry and all the kitchen work all on my own. I know that it was bad luck that 2 people were both sick at the same time, but to my mind this situation it not due to that, it is due to the fact that they do not have enough staff in the first place - if they had 2 kitchen assistants, instead of relying on us housekeepers on the Kitchen Assistants days off, then this sort of thing would not happen.

It makes me so mad as carers would never be expected to work in this way, they would get agency staff in to help, but not with us. We are not important enough for that, but we are important enough to moan at when there are a few specks of dust. All of this has just reinforced the fact that I have made absolutely the right choice to get out of there. As far as I am concerned, it can't come a day too soon.

When is the interview for the new job. Wish you luck.

Glad to hear you guys made out okay, Muggle, but I'll send all good vibes to your GD! I wish I lived closer so I could volunteer and help those poor folks in the NE. I've gladly donated to the Red Cross though so hopefully it'll help.

Happy election day to my fellow members in the US! Remember to vote! :D I stopped at the polls bright and early this morning to do my part and am happily wearing my 'I voted' sticker for the rest of the day. Now to be worried and on pins and needles the rest of the day/night! Yahoo! :P:lol:

I dropped Emma off at the kennel this morning and won't see her again until the 18th. There's just so much going on this week and my mom's already out in CA so Emma wouldn't have had anyone at home with her during the day since I'm at work. I leave on Friday and am so looking forward to it. My mom said it was 90 there yesterday! I'll take it :D.

I hope everyone has a lovely rest of their week.

When is the interview for the new job. Wish you luck.

9.30 on Thursday morning.

I asked the Director today when I am going to get a reply to my letter which I handed in 6 weeks ago asking for a rise. His response was that his wife deals with this sort of thing, and that we shall have to arrange a meeting. He doesn't know about my meeting with the other home on Thursday, so I am looking forward to his response if I do get it ... I know that he does have the money as our soon to be ex Manager informed me that she when told him about her own resignation he offered to meet her new employers offer - he is then one seriously sad and desperate man ! He no doubt realises that the CQC do not like too many changes of Management in too short a time, and he doesn't want them sniffing round, as the staff might just tell them what he gets up to ...

Next week was supposed to be my last week working 40 hours a week and then I would go on a 2 day/week schedule until the end of the year and then retire again. Today I got some overtures that they would like me to continue on a 40/hour week schedule until the end of the year. I kinda hate to say no as I am aware of the 'technical review" work that they need me to perform. Undecided!!!

poppy, don't you dare say I told you so. :)

Next week was supposed to be my last week working 40 hours a week and then I would go on a 2 day/week schedule until the end of the year and then retire again. Today I got some overtures that they would like me to continue on a 40/hour week schedule until the end of the year. I kinda hate to say no as I am aware of the 'technical review" work that they need me to perform. Undecided!!!

poppy, don't you dare say I told you so. :)

Oh Muggles, you are incorrigible :giggle2:

My interview is at 9.30 this morning - I am up early and have prepared a long list of questions. Having read their latest inspection report and spoken to at least one person who used to work there, it all looks and sounds good, so fingers crossed ! I don't expect to be offered it on the spot, as I know there are other candidates, but I should be able to get at least some idea.