For How Long Do You Read?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I do a lot of reading. Monday to Friday I read during my 20 minutes coffee break and my lunch hour. I also read for about an hour in the bath every night and sometimes for about another hour in the evenings, depending on how busy I am. I read less on the weekends, but always have my bath-reading time, no matter what...

I also listen to an audio book on my iPod whenever I'm walking about outside, so I get about 30 mins each way walking to and from work through the week, and also about the same amount walking in and out of town on weekends if I go. And if I'm going round the shops myself, I continue listening.

I think it depends on a number of things.

The closer my AS Level exam gets, the less I'm reading for pleasure.

Also, it very much depends on the book. I read 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas' in one sitting (about two hours), because a) it was compelling and B) it was an easy read, being aimed at children.

However, Little Women is taking me longer to read because of the exam, but also because I don't feel the same compulsion to pick it up.

That said, in normal circumstances, I probably average about 20/30 pages in one sitting.

Depends how sleepy I feel:blush: I usually take half to three quarters of an hour mid-afternoon just to sit and read and then I read for half an hour or so at night in bed. If a book is keeping me interested I can read quite quickly but if it is hard going I find I can read the same sentence two or three times and sometimes I fall asleep over it. The last book I read and the one I'm reading now are keeping me awake and interested:lol:

It depends on a number of things. I nearly always read for half an hour in the car outside the school in the afternoon, I try (but don't always suceed) to read for a couple of hours during the evening. I read in bed but it is becoming more and more common these days that I start to fall asleep B)

However If the weather is nice at the weekend I can spend a good 2/3 hours reading in the garden.

It depends on the book and the mood I'm in. Also it depends on how many other things I have to get done. :roll:

I usually read for about 20-30 minutes at a time, but if it's a really good book I can literally read for hours (that's a rare thing). B)

I could just read all day.. in an ideal world.

I usually read for a couple of hours in the evening and if I cannot sleep I will get out of bed and read in the living room for a while. I have noticed though, that I always read to the end of a chapter, put the book down for five or ten minuites then start reading again. I dont know why. Maybe I am just taking the time out to absorb what I have read, or it could just be a strange habbit.

I could just read all day.. in an ideal world.

I usually read for a couple of hours in the evening and if I cannot sleep I will get out of bed and read in the living room for a while. I have noticed though, that I always read to the end of a chapter, put the book down for five or ten minuites then start reading again. I dont know why. Maybe I am just taking the time out to absorb what I have read, or it could just be a strange habbit.

I do that too, but often it is when my mind starts to wander which I can't really seem to help so I just stop reading until my thoughts fade. I hate it when I continue to read but am not taking it in because my thoughts have trailed off for no good reason.

Also it depends often how long I read for. Usually it is measured in chapters and pages not time though. Can do 2-3 hours in the morning other than that it's usually around an hour or so.

I read for any amount of time, really.

I tend to read for about half an hour in the morning - if I don't watch a video or DVD (there's never anything on in the morning)

then I sometimes read for my 15 min break

and I sometimes read at lunch, but there's always so much going on around me I sometimes get distracted!

I usually go on the internet when I get home, but sometimes I read

and I usually read before I go to bed as well. However, if it's a really good book I will sometimes stay up for ages!!

I quite often steal a few sneaky sentances during lesson time as well! B)

Edited by BookJumper
Removed full-text colour

I read at night before sleep sometimes quite late if not sleepy or book is good. I fall asleep holding the book regularly!! B) Also wake with scary palpitations quite often so I put the light on, take a pill and carry on reading to take my mind off it.

Read loads and loads on holiday.

I've stopped reading at home so much, which is going to be a bit of a problem actually... I normally read for half an hour-one hour depending over a latte and my lunch. I've gotten into a nicely expensive habit of going out for lunch and reading in the library coffee shop. (Unfortunately I buy books - stupidly don't use the library!)

Won't do that when I go home from uni. I'll probably just read at odd times then depending very much on the book. I like reading on buses, or waiting for the ferry so it's rather spasmodic my reading sometimes.