What's up in August?

Kell

Was a bit excited by the news that a lion was loose in Essex :o ...

Whoa! If true, poor lion! Having to deal with nutty humans on the loose......./hee hee/

Sounds like you're all prepared, Pont. Stay safe you two and hope it's not as bad as they predict. :friends0:

Thanks, will do. :friends0:

Yeah, the fun hasn't quite started yet, Some wind, some rain, nothing much till midnight I believe.

I second this! Be safe. :smile:

Thanks! :friends3:

Sounds pretty scary Pont - the highest winds I have ever experienced were about 60mph (in the Bristol Channel) and that was pretty scary in such an exposed place - I was picked right up in the air and thrown back on the grass, and the only way I got back inside was crawling on my hands and knees ! It was scary but exhilerating at the same time, but nothing compared to what you must be experiencing. It sounds like you are as prepared as you can be though - stay safe. :friends0:

After having worked a 12 hour day (with another 10 hours tomorrow) I am off to bed ! :sleeping-smiley-009

Thanks! :D

Wow, that was an experience! We are constantly warned not to go out in the storm, partly because of what happened to you, and partly on account of flying debris. Some of that stuff could kill you.

Yes Good luck Pontalba stay safe keep you hatches battened down and your heads down too!

Absolutely! Thanks :D

Edited by pontalba

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope all still safe with you Pontalba! Crossing my fingers for you.

hope all is ok down there! xxx

Thanks y'all! We are doing pretty well here. We bought one of those battery/surge protectors, so when the power has flickered, at least the computers didn't go out.

Amazingly enough the power has not gone out up here. Even though I believe at least 75-95% of the region is out. We are far enough to the north east of the storm center that we are only getting the intermittently heavy rain and wind. Bad enough, but when I think of those communities down on the coast....Grand Isle, Braithwaite, Port Fouchon....it's awful. Ten feet of water, and although it was a mandatory evacuation in their area, some didn't leave. Not always because they didn't want to, but for example one families truck broke down at the last minute. One woman's mother is on dialysis...stories like that. These people are now up in the attic, or on the second floor of their homes waiting till the National Guard can get out there to rescue them. For those folks, this storm is worse than Katrina. :negative:

Hair dyed (nice and bright auburn again - hurrah!), mini lemon cupcakes with tangy lemon icing, and extra cheesy cheese scones baked. Id' say that's a productive afternoon! Hope hubby appreciates the effort - it's his birthday tomorrow, but as I'm working tomorrow night, I thought I'd let him have his yummies a day early - LOL! ;)

A shorter working day for me today - thank goodness, mainly as we have such a long day tomorrow. Coran and I are going to the O2 for the Wheelchair Basketball so have to be even earlier than normal to leave by 6.30am and get the 7.02am train from Dorking. The first game isn't until 10.45am but we have to be there 2 hours before for all the security checks. With the last game due to finish at 4.45pm it's going to a long day - we are not expecting to be home before 7.30 or 8pm - it will be worth it though. I have arranged to start and finish work an hour later than normal on Saturday as I am going to need that lie in !

All the girls at work are supremely jealous though and can't wait to see my pictures and hear all about it.

Keep safe!! :intherain:

Thanks! The storm is past now, finally! Hung on all day here, raining, but oddly enough, no wind since early morning.

We finally lost power last night around midnight. Not bad so far, but I dread no air conditioning tomorrow. The heat will return big time. the crews are working overtime, but they can only do so much at the time.

We had no damage, not even a fallen tree. So we're verra thankful for that! I'm logging in here with our myfi, not the regular computer. We were able to drive into town this afternoon, lots of trees down, and there was some serious flooding, even here on the northshore, down near the lake. I heard about 8 - 12 feet of water in one area by the river that feeds into the lake up here. We re way far away from that thankfully.

A shorter working day for me today - thank goodness, mainly as we have such a long day tomorrow. Coran and I are going to the O2 for the Wheelchair Basketball so have to be even earlier than normal to leave by 6.30am and get the 7.02am train from Dorking. The first game isn't until 10.45am but we have to be there 2 hours before for all the security checks. With the last game due to finish at 4.45pm it's going to a long day - we are not expecting to be home before 7.30 or 8pm - it will be worth it though. I have arranged to start and finish work an hour later than normal on Saturday as I am going to need that lie in !

All the girls at work are supremely jealous though and can't wait to see my pictures and hear all about it.

Sounds like a fun day for y'all! :D

and here I thought that no one worked on Saturdays in the U.K. :)

This is a Holiday weekend in the U.S. and most people have Monday off from work. Wife and I are taking a 3 day holiday and driving up to Pennsylvania (430 mile trip each way) to visit my two nieces and there family. My sister-in-law will fly up from Florida. We enjoy the vist very much and we always have a big cookout at their outside "firepit". They live in Indiana, Pennsylvania (birthplace of Jimmy Stewart) :)

Edited by muggle not

Hope you have a lovely time Muggle and a safe journey. Looks a beautiful place your niece has and what a great way to relax. Funny that there's two Indiana's :blush2:

Thanks, the drive isn't too bad. I hope to make it in 7 hours or less. The photos were from last year when we were visiting my nieces.

Had an interview just after my wedding over a month ago now, I didn't get that job but they said I was perfect except lacking one bit of experience handling DNA that another candidate had, then they told me that there is another vacancy coming soon and I would be perfect for it as it is exactly the same but without handling DNA. But because it is a government funded research facility they have to go through the bureaucracy of posting the vacancy and interviewing any suitable candidates.

So after an agonisingly long wait I was finally offered the job today :) It is in Cambridge were I really want to be, not quite the dream job but not a bad start straight out of uni in this economy. Really pleased! now I can support of wife and everything... she is also happy :D.

I don't know about other people of course, but I work in a 365 day a year business which includes even Christmas Day ! I wouldn't want a 'normal' job now though to be honest, as it wouldn't offer the same opportunities to make a difference and to be honest, sitting at a desk all day would bore me to tears.

Wheelchair basketball today was though brilliant, even though team GB didn't win. It was though very noisy, too noisy for Coran, so we left before the start of the last match (Spain versus South Africa) and went for a stroll along the river instead. I am really glad that I went and had the opportunity, as I know a lot of people who tried and couldn't get tickets.

.. where did you hear that? :o Sundays used to be mainly 'at rest' days but that's changed now too .. especially for shop workers and shift workers.

Sorry to hear about the hurricane Pont :friends0: .. glad you're safe and sound and that your property escaped unharmed.

Good luck in your new job Timstar :) what a great start to married life.