What's up in August?

Kell

Well, I'll have royalty "right round the corner" from me for the next few days! Prince Phillip was checked into ARI yesterday with a recurrence of the bladder ouchies he had back in June this year, and it's about a 5 minute walk from our flat. And this weekend, Xan and I will be staying at my Dad's in Braemar, which is a stone's trow from Balmoral where the Royals are currently staying (I think they must have come up for the shooting as it was the Glorious 12th on Sunday). Feels kind of weird knowing the Queen and/or Prince Phillip are practically around the corner!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coran and I have had a brilliant day today, where we seemed to just keep bumping into old friends - first a cycling journalist that we know who helped us with the Box Hill News (great to catch up with him) and then another friend from the meditation group we used to go. The 2 interviews both went really well, especially the first one, and we even managed not to overspend at Sainsbury's which is a first.

We are both really pleased with those interviews though - our cycling friend has agreed to help write the narration, so by the time the video is finished and edited, it is going to look really good - much better than an Olympic special would have been - and much better than the National Trust ones too !

Edited by Talisman

Well last month, I applied for an ms grant. The ms society give people with ms a one off grant to follow a dream they no longer can achieve due to their illness.

Well I got the call to say I was picked as one of the lucky ones to receive one! There is a lunch to attend to receive our grant, I'm currently awaiting on details to come in the mail.

I've already started looking into prices for everything I said I would do if I received a grant. :giggle::D

Fantastic news! I'm so happy for you. :D

It's been a busy month for us. We've taken two mini-vacations down in New Orleans, over two weekends in a row. Checked out some music venues we'd been wanting to, and ate wonderful meals. The Hotel Monteleone has an amazing restaurant, and a white chocolate creme brulee that is to die for.

We're taking dance lessons, husband knows how to dance, but hasn't in a long time, and I am a novice. It's lots of fun, I must say!! Lots of giggling. :D

We're planning a trip to Washington D.C. later in the year, ironing out all the details, and thinking about another possible road trip.

I've bought some fabulous shoes.......the 6 inch platform/spikes. /sigh/ :D

We are holding our own on the diet.....gained a few pounds last weekend, but I am happy to report.......they're GONE again. :D

I'm back from my hols, it was our first time on a cruise and it was fantastic, so much to do although I have to admit that we were a bit lazy and probably didn't take as much advantage of the facilities as we could have done but it was lovely being full board and not cooking or cleaning for 9 days! Now it's home to the washing!! :D

Only 3 more weeks before my granddaughter visits us on her way back to school. Can't wait to hear the stories she has to tell from her summer job and the people she met. :)

LOL, I can now reveal that my granddaughter actually met Michelle Obama in July. I was told by my GD to keep it a secret, at the time, as the Secret Service was trying to keep the whereabouts of Sasha and Malia a secret. My GD was a camp counselor where the Obama girls spent 4 weeks this summer. Of course I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told Poppy about it when michelle and the girls first arrived at camp.

Today president Obama revealed the girls stay at the camp. Read on:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/18/obama-reveals-sasha-malia-summer-camp_n_1804436.html

My GD will be visiting us on Aug. 31 on her way back to college at NYU and we can't wait to hear her stories about camp.

That must have been cool muggle not. :smile: I can understand why you were busting to tell! :giggle2:

A quiet day where I took the advice of inver and didn't do my ironing. :giggle: We did however take garden rubbish to the tip and washed the car (well, more accurately we took the car to be washed!). Very hot and sticky, so the rest of the day has been spent quietly and coolly.

LOL, I can now reveal that my granddaughter actually met Michelle Obama in July. I was told by my GD to keep it a secret, at the time, as the Secret Service was trying to keep the whereabouts of Sasha and Malia a secret. My GD was a camp counselor where the Obama girls spent 4 weeks this summer. Of course I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told Poppy about it when michelle and the girls first arrived at camp.

Today president Obama revealed the girls stay at the camp. Read on:

http://www.huffingto..._n_1804436.html

My GD will be visiting us on Aug. 31 on her way back to college at NYU and we can't wait to hear her stories about camp.

SO exciting Muggles. Glad it all went smoothly with no dramas. You'll have to tell us some of the tales after your grand-daughter visits.

I was just looking at some of the photos of the Obama's dog Bo, he's absolutely gorgeous :wub:

Edited by poppy

That must have been cool muggle not. :smile: I can understand why you were busting to tell! :giggle2:

SO exciting Muggles. Glad it all went smoothly with no dramas. You'll have to tell us some of the tales after your grand-daughter visits.

I was just looking at some of the photos of the Obama's dog Bo, he's absolutely gorgeous :wub:

It is something that my GD can remember her whole life and tell her children about. We are happy for her.

Yes, certainly something to remember Muggle.

I have had a very hot and sticky weekend at work - it is not the most pleasant place to be in the heat. Thankfully today was cooler, along with the tempers - they too have been fraying in the heat.

I have got home to find no sign of Coran anywhere, so I am going out to enjoy the sunshine and have a deliciously wicked cake - while the cat's away this mouse it going to go out and play !

Sorry to hear about your doggy Noll :(:hug:

I have been around, just haven't really posted.

I have been busy making good use of the weather down here by taking photographs. It's meant to be winter but it felt like spring on some of the days, we actually hit 21 degrees the other day. Some flowers are blooming so a lot are of them.

I got a close friends wedding invite in the mail today, it's not till October, but I am super excited - its my first wedding! She has asked me to bring my camera along and take some extra photos.

It's my bf's birthday next month, and I have a big surprise planned for him, it's also my birthday too! We are two days apart - what are the chances.

Edited by Devi

So sorry to hear that Laura - I know it probably doesn't seem like it at the moment, but you really are well shot of him. If he can do that, then he can't be trusted, and if you can't trust him, it's not a relationship. :friends0:

Edited by Talisman

Devi, don't think we've met before but I just had to post and say congrats on getting the grant! Things like that are few and far between in life so it's very nice to hear about! :smile:

Talisman, hope it was a good cake! Sounds like you really needed it...saw your post about working to 2:00 a.m. that one day. :o (Can't remember exactly which one. Was fishing through posts still playing catch up.)

And to everyone else, hello and wishes for a great day! Hope everyone's reading for month is going well. :readingtwo: (Really love this little dude!)

me and my boyfriend split up yesterday. He has decided that he would rather be with somone else rather than me, someone he has been seeing behind my back. Not too sure if im angry or sad or what at the minute :(

Oh Laura, I'm sorry :empathy:

me and my boyfriend split up yesterday. He has decided that he would rather be with somone else rather than me, someone he has been seeing behind my back. Not too sure if im angry or sad or what at the minute :(

Lots and lots of hugs to you Laura. We know how wonderful you are my lovely, and despite the fact it hurts right now, you will be fine. :empathy:

Edited by Chrissy

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry to hear your news, there is no right or wrong way to feel right now so just give yourself all the time and care you need to move forward... You know you have lots of friends here... Sending you lots of hugs.. :friends0:

Talisman, hope it was a good cake! Sounds like you really needed it...saw your post about working to 2:00 a.m. that one day. :o (Can't remember exactly which one. Was fishing through posts still playing catch up.)

Sorry but you've lost me Wordsmith - my boss may be a taskmaster, but I have never worked until 2am - my normal finish time is 2pm after a 7am start, so we are probably getting our wires crossed ! Whatever cake you are referring to though (there have been a few this week, naughty me), I am sure it was nice !

I'm very sorry that has happened to you Laura, it's a tough experience to go through. What everyone has said is true though, even if you can't clearly see it now. You will, in time, see that you are in fact better off without a cad that would cheat on you and act in that manner. Sending :friends0: :friends0: and :JC_cookies: . I find carbohydrates always help. :empathy:

It's probably me wrong here. I am soooo tired. I have this cat, who for no discernible reason goes through these "must scream every tens minutes for hours on end" sprees, and this last week she's been on a particularly chatty streak. She's done this all her life and even though I know her kidneys are going, she is not in any distress. She just likes to be demanding, and she's a siamese so she's got that nails on the chalk board screech thing going on. I saw something that said 2:00 and probably just connected your name with the post (for not good reason), and interpreted it as AM instead of PM! Wanna a cat?

p.s. It's Wordsgood. ;)

Sorry but you've lost me Wordsmith - my boss may be a taskmaster, but I have never worked until 2am - my normal finish time is 2pm after a 7am start, so we are probably getting our wires crossed ! Whatever cake you are referring to though (there have been a few this week, naughty me), I am sure it was nice !

Sorry, I don't know why I put Wordsmith - sadly I don't have a cat I can blame, but I still enjoyed that cake ! Know what you mean about being tired though. On that note, I am off to bed :sleeping-smiley-009

Devi, belated congrats on getting the grant, I can imagine how well happy you are, and excited as well! :D Wohoo!

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear that :(:empathy: Many huggles! I know it might not feel like it right not, but you are better off without him. :empathy: