What's up in August?

Kell

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to hear of your recent split, Laura. I can definitely relate :empathy:

Sounds like an excellent vacation, Sofia! I take off for sunny southern California in 20 days and I'm super excited! Can't wait to see all my sibs, 2 of the 3 of them I've not seen for 2 years. I'll get to see all but one of my nieces and nephews too, so that'll be great, plus it's just a lot of fun being in that area of the country. I'd never want to live there myself, but man it's great to visit!

Tomorrow is my last day at my 2nd job, and wow, what a relief. I need to find something better, so hopefully I'll get into something that's just the right fit. Sunday I'm driving south and over to Wisconsin for a wee sight-seeing trip.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend! :D

Hope everyone has a good weekend. Mine started at 2pm when I finished work. I had to go into Dorking afterwards though for a routine doctors appointment, followed by the obligatory cup of tea at Denbies. :smile:

I was though so glad to finish work. The fact that it has been my long week (7 days in a row) is bad enough, but yesterday we had Engineers turn up the fix the washing machines, so they couldn't be used all day. I expected all the laundry to have been done by the time I got there this morning, but found that it hadn't been as the machines were still not working ! The result by the time I left was 8 bin bags full of dirty laundry, including one full of red bags (infectious stuff) which was really starting to stink (poo - quite literally) :doh: and some very irate carers who were running out of clean towels to wash the residents with. I hope its fixed by tomorrow as otherwise the other housekeeper who is on duty is going to do her nut and I can't say I blame her !

Edited by Talisman

Thank you everyone, all your lovely comments have made me cry hehe. I am feeling a little better today ive eaten a couple of tubs of Ben and Jerrys so maybe thats helping. I am feeling a little lost though as i always spent the weekends with him and i think i need to find something to do this weekend to keep my mind of things.

Thank you all again :D

I took a couple photos of our Crape Myrtle Shrubs at the side of our house today. They are loaded with blooms this year. The shrubs are only 6 years old and will grow much more.

Edited by muggle not

I am feeling a little lost though as i always spent the weekends with him and i think i need to find something to do this weekend to keep my mind of things.

Thank you all again :D

Hi Laura you could book up for one of Karl Lee's flintknapping workshops!! You learn how to make stone age tools just as they were made by cavemen. http://www.primitive-technology.co.uk/

me and my boyfriend split up yesterday. He has decided that he would rather be with somone else rather than me, someone he has been seeing behind my back. Not too sure if im angry or sad or what at the minute :(

So sorry to hear this Laura :(:hug::empathy:

Devi, don't think we've met before but I just had to post and say congrats on getting the grant! Things like that are few and far between in life so it's very nice to hear about! :smile:

Devi, belated congrats on getting the grant, I can imagine how well happy you are, and excited as well! :D Wohoo!

Thanks guys! I still can't believe I got it. :giggle: it's almost like winning the lotto.

I'll have to look into this, its looks really interesting smile.png

I have been on a mini-course by him at our local library. He is a really nice guy and it was amazing. I will probably book up for one of his courses again soon.

me and my boyfriend split up yesterday. He has decided that he would rather be with somone else rather than me, someone he has been seeing behind my back. Not too sure if im angry or sad or what at the minute :(

I'm so sorry Laura .. what a prize pig :angry:

Indulge and pamper yourself this weekend and do all the things you like (especially all the things he didn't like :D) .. you've made an excellent start with the Ben & Jerry's (hope you ate it straight from the tub .. leaning against the fridge :D) so carry on in the same vein.

He's a super rat, so you're better off without him (which I know doesn't help much now) just look on him as practice .. you know what NOT to look for next time. He'd better not come anywhere near me .. I'll give him beans :badmood:

Sending :friends0:

We went to the Portlethen Gala this afternoon, It was a bit of a bust, but Xan had a good time trying out some trikes and I bumped into some old school friends I haven't seen in years, so it was lovely to have a little catch-up, even if it was very brief. Left just in time to miss the downpour! ;)

I'm so sorry Laura .. what a prize pig :angry:

Indulge and pamper yourself this weekend and do all the things you like (especially all the things he didn't like :D) .. you've made an excellent start with the Ben & Jerry's (hope you ate it straight from the tub .. leaning against the fridge :D) so carry on in the same vein.

He's a super rat, so you're better off without him (which I know doesn't help much now) just look on him as practice .. you know what NOT to look for next time. He'd better not come anywhere near me .. I'll give him beans :badmood:

Sending :friends0:

Thank you :) I'm going to dye my hair this week as it was something he really didnt like me doing! I've been out racing today so thats taken my mind off it a bit today!

I'll bear that in mind if he gives me anymore bother ill send you round :)

Coran and I had a nice day today - we went to see Corans Mum and sister, whom we haven't seen for a while. It was good to catch up with them both, and my sister in laws family.

Thank you, I'm doing lots of bits and bobs that i havent been able to do recently :)

For a minute there I thought you said bits and boobs !

I have had the usual day at work - bank holidays are just another day for me. I don't mind anyway, as it means I get to take my holiday when I want, and earn extra money to boot. I stopped off at Headley on the way home for a cup of tea and flapjack and sat in the car for an hour reading and listening to the rain.

Our Kitchen Assistant was supposed to be on holiday next week, but yesterday he broke his foot tripping over the back step, so I expect I will be busy for the next few weeks. I will certainly be busy this week - I think I am doing almost 48 hours, with an 11 1/2 hour shift tomorrow, 10 hours on Wednesday and 5 hours on Thursday which was supposed to be my day off. On Friday, which is my day off Coran and I are going to see the Paralympic Basketball, and have to leave home at 6.30am to get to the O2 2 hours before the first game and get through all the security. It won't seem like a day off then in some ways, but I am sure it will be worth it. After that I have 7 days in a row, so by this time next week I will be seriously knackered.

Edited by Talisman

Beautiful flowering shrubs, Muggle! I would love to look out my window at those every day :D

I had a nice weekend and a fun day yesterday in Pepin, Wisconsin. We visited the homestead of Charles and Caroline Ingalls and where Laura Ingalls was born. They had a replica log cabin on the spot and even though a lot of the trees were cleared out (she was born in 'the big woods'), it was still very lovely to stand on the actual spot that she and her family lived. All in all a nice prelude to my road trip next month :D.

I have an appt with an ortho doctor on Wed to check on my left hand/wrist. I'm having carpal tunnel surgery on it later this year but in the meantime I'm considering getting an injection to help ease the discomfort. Hopefully the needle won't be too big! :hide:

I hope everyone has a great rest of their week!

As of about 1 p.m. today Isaac became a hurricane, graduated up from tropical storm. The barrier is 74 miles per hour. By the time it hits the Louisiana coast it will be around 90 mph. All in all not a terrible storm, and not in the class of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. Oddly enough Isaac is supposed to hit on the 7th anniversary of Katrina. Wind will pick up and rain tomorrow morning I believe, at least according to the present schedule.

We are on the wet side of the hurricane, and will undoubetedly lose electric power for a couple of days at the least.

Communites up river from New Orleans are evacuating because of their low-lying land, and lack of levees in their area. Of course way to the south of us theyare evacuating as well.

Up here, about 50 miles northeast of N.O., we will get lots of wind, and lots of rain, but my area does not flood fortunately. Part of the original reason we moved up here from N.O. to begin with back in 1995.

So, we've been clearing up any loose objects that could fly in the yard, Securing same this morning.

Filling water bottles and buckets, as we have well water, and when the electric power is out, we have no water either. The well pump runs on electricity. We stocked up yesterday on canned goods and the like, and filled the Jeep's gas tank. /phew/ :D

AIE

: Now they say it's not a hurricane, yet. Will be shortly, maybe on the next broadcast in a little while.

The frustrating thing is all the computer generated models are different enough to not know which way the storm will hit us from. It'll hit here, but it makes all the difference as to which angle it hits.

Edited by pontalba

Thank you, I'm doing lots of bits and bobs that i havent been able to do recently :)

Good girl :)

Was a bit excited by the news that a lion was loose in Essex :o ... it turns out now that it was probably a figment of somebody's imagination :( .. shame really .. as far as news went it had a certain romance to it ... the poor thing would've probably been shot so it's just as well it's imaginary and of course I wouldn't really want it to start eating people .. even the cast of Towie .. but I preferred seeing that all over the front pages than Prince Harry's naughty bits or that worthless scumbag Ian Brady .. why do they report his ramblings? They should starve him of all publicity.

Rainy bank holiday, didn't do anything but eat, read a bit and watch costume drama .. there are worse ways to spend the day :smile:

As of about 1 p.m. today Isaac became a hurricane, graduated up from tropical storm. The barrier is 74 miles per hour. By the time it hits the Louisiana coast it will be around 90 mph. All in all not a terrible storm, and not in the class of Hurricane Katrina back in 2005. Oddly enough Isaac is supposed to hit on the 7th anniversary of Katrina. Wind will pick up and rain tomorrow morning I believe, at least according to the present schedule.

We are on the wet side of the hurricane, and will undoubetedly lose electric power for a couple of days at the least.

Communites up river from New Orleans are evacuating because of their low-lying land, and lack of levees in their area. Of course way to the south of us theyare evacuating as well.

Up here, about 50 miles northeast of N.O., we will get lots of wind, and lots of rain, but my area does not flood fortunately. Part of the original reason we moved up here from N.O. to begin with back in 1995.

So, we've been clearing up any loose objects that could fly in the yard, Securing same this morning.

Filling water bottles and buckets, as we have well water, and when the electric power is out, we have no water either. The well pump runs on electricity. We stocked up yesterday on canned goods and the like, and filled the Jeep's gas tank. /phew/ :D

AIE

: Now they say it's not a hurricane, yet. Will be shortly, maybe on the next broadcast in a little while.

The frustrating thing is all the computer generated models are different enough to not know which way the storm will hit us from. It'll hit here, but it makes all the difference as to which angle it hits.

Sounds like you're all prepared, Pont. Stay safe you two and hope it's not as bad as they predict. :friends0:

Sounds pretty scary Pont - the highest winds I have ever experienced were about 60mph (in the Bristol Channel) and that was pretty scary in such an exposed place - I was picked right up in the air and thrown back on the grass, and the only way I got back inside was crawling on my hands and knees ! It was scary but exhilerating at the same time, but nothing compared to what you must be experiencing. It sounds like you are as prepared as you can be though - stay safe. :friends0:

After having worked a 12 hour day (with another 10 hours tomorrow) I am off to bed ! :sleeping-smiley-009