Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 14

Chrissy

My daughter just came home from school and happily opened one of the books that arrived this morning and guess what? There is a small dead fly on the third page of this new unused book! She's removing it now and it doesn't seem to leave any mark on the page, but wow. :o Oh well, I guess now I can say something other than notes and pictures when we discuss the things we found in books. :giggle2:

Edited by sadya

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished the Complete Short Fiction of Oscar Wilde and I adored it! :)

Just started Black Sun Rising, the first in the Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman.

Started and finished Across The Universe by Beth Revis.

Considering the overwhelmingly positive response to it by... virtually the entire world, from what I gather in online reviews, I'm considerably underwhelmed. Granted I love adult sci-fi/fantasy and am not a massive fan of YA at the best of times, unless it's done REALLY well, but.... meh. Good book, worth a read. Nothing new or particularly original that I picked up on, extraordinarily annoying in parts, extremely predictible in others - but a good introduction to the world of dystopian sci-fi. I guess. Meh.

I have just finished the Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett mainly because I found them all in the library at the same time and couldn't face my classics and needed something to read. Although I haven't read the new last one which I will find asap.

I finished The Novel in the Viola yesterday and it's one of those books that needs mulling over before picking up the next one. So, I shall start a new one later on: probably Eagle (the first in a Trilogy about Saladin) - although I am also about halfway through Of Human Bondage by Somerset Maugham on my Kindle too. :unsure:

Mojo came back! I'm about 150 pages into Glass Houses by Rachel Cain. :D *does Snoopy dance*

Great little series to bring back your mojo, the books get better and better as they go along ;)

I finally finished The Witches of Eastwick and think I need a little Larissa Ione to pick up my mojo. I'll be reading 'Sin Undone' next :)

Got my hands on a collection of books I read as a child.

Reading the whole series of Enid Blyton's Famous Five again. Currently reading Five Go To Mystery Moor. Can't remember the page number but George, Anne and Timmy the dog have just been caught by the travellers and Julian and Dick are lost in mists.

Simple but brilliant!

100 posts for me finally!

I bought a few books today. Details in my reading list.

I didn't get much reading done though. :(

Do you think you could you be putting too much pressure on yourself because of the size of your expanding library? (serious question, for once!).

Just started Black Sun Rising, the first in the Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman.

You have my sympathy!

I finally managed to finish The Legacy by Katherine Webb whilst away, even though my mojo has abandoned me I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would.

I'm currently over half way through Rachel Hore's A place of Secrets on my kindle and loving it :)

Do you think you could you be putting too much pressure on yourself because of the size of your expanding library? (serious question, for once!).

A serious question? From Raven? Are you feeling OK? tongue.gif

I often wonder about it. I certainly have placed a lot of pressure on myself to read all these books, but I'm not sure how much of an effect it has on my mojo. As excited as I am by all the great books I have to read, it's also quite intimidating.

If I was a uni student, I'd do a PhD on the relationship between book buying/hoarding and the psyche.

I'm getting into Of Human Bondage (Maugham) now (free on Kindle :D ). Somerset Maugham is such a good writer; he has that ability (like a lot of his age and time) to write of very little but make it sound so compelling.

I ordered Slaves of Solitude by Patrick Hamilton as well. Has anyone here read any Patrick Hamilton? I had thought of reading Hangover Square but it looks quite a dark novel.

You have my sympathy!

:lol:

I see what you mean.

I am almost half way through. The book seemed interesting at first and a part of me finds the plot intriguing, but the cardboard characters are putting me to sleep. I may give up on it soon.