Hardback vs paperback

Maureen

I love the look and feel of hardbacks and I prefer the way they look on my bookshelves but I prefer reading paperbacks. I hate falling asleep in bed while I'm reading (which I eventually do :)) and getting hit in the face by a hardback book! Paperbacks are much kinder to the face :D

If I'm reading a hardback book I always take the dustcover off and never use it as a bookmark, I like to keep it looking good :)

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the time I'll get the paperback version of a book because they're much easier to carry around and are cheaper but if I absolutely love it and love the artwork I'll buy the hardback. I'm like this with my cd's if I absolutely love it I'll get the vinyl I don't really know why, it's just nicer to have.:D

Generally speaking cost is a factor. Before the availability of low cost books I would wait for the paperback or borrow from the library and if I still wanted a copy get it when the paperback came out. With the likes of amazon and asda selling the top 20 or so books at half price it makes the decision less difficult and if it is something I want I just get it. If I don't want to keep it I resell or bookcross or swap depending on what I think at the time.

If I don't want to keep it I resell or bookcross or swap depending on what I think at the time.

Generally, I'll only get a hardback if I want the book permanently on my shelf, otherwise I'd opt for the paperback, which I'll try to handle very carefully, read quickly, and resell or give away. I prefer to read hardbacks because they're of better build, and use better quality paper. As far as paper quality goes, nothing beats an Everyman's Library hardback.

I'm of two minds about this. I like paperbacks because they're small and easy to read no matter where you are (bed, public transportation, under a tree, lol), plus the fact that they are easier on the wallet. However some hardcovers have such nicely designed dust jackets and look much better on a book shelf. Plus, if there is a book out there that I loved and really treasure, I want to spend the money and have something more substantial to show my appreciation.

it seems to me that i agree with most of you here:

paperbacks are more convenient but it's also nice to have your favs as a more good-looking and presentable version.

and when you have a look at your bookcollection it's pretty satisfying.

i, personally have way more paperbacks because for me they're sufficient. :lol:

I love hardbacks more than paperbacks!

I have to agree that paperbacks are easier to hold, easier to travel with but hardback books keep better and I like to look at my books and when they are bent too much and scuffed it saddens me. I do have more paperbacks than hardbacks because they are cheaper, but if I'm waiting for a book to be released I will buy the hardback so most hardbacks I own are because of my impatience.

I feel regal when I read a hardbacked books :)

Like most of you I prefer Hardbacks for looks and feel, but I mainly read paperbacks for convenience.

Some of the problems I find with thicker paperbacks are trying to keep the pages open especially when you get half way through. Some bigger paperbacks I