Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I loved C J Sansom's Dissolution so much I may just have bought the other books in the series ... Dark Fire, Sovereign and Revelation - so that's now 13 books I've added to my TBR pile in the past few days :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to read just a few pages of The Lost Continent today. I'm hoping to slip in a few pages of Anne of Avonlea before I go to bed.

I had some other, unexpected, book activity today. My friend wanted to go to Borders to get a magazine and I thought I'd be good and get nothing (Borders is pretty dear here). But there was a display set up inside the door for Justin Cronin's The Passage, which I hadn't been able to find in the same shop a few weeks earlier. It was on sale for $21.99 so I picked up a copy. As I was walking around I came across more copies of the book and one of them was marked $19.99. I guess it was an error but I thought I'd try my luck so I swapped the books and I ended up getting it for the cheaper price. Yay! biggrin.gif

Then we passed Dymocks and they had a sale on so I thought I'd go in there just for a look. On the way back out I found The Big Book of Pulps edited by Otto Penzler. It's made up of three smaller books: The Crimefighters, The Villains and The Dames. I already have the first two but hadn't found the third for a reasonable price. I found this book (over 1100 pages!) for only $8 which is an absolute bargain! I think I bought The Crimefighters for $20-$30 alone!

And my friend bought me a book about cats because I'll probably be getting one soon. It's a kind of diary where you can keep track of certain things, smile.gif

Kylie, what an excellent shopping tour! I remember this one time when I got lucky getting a really great book really cheap, you said you never get lucky that way. Well now you got a 2-dollar discount by chance AND that massive book for only 8 dollars, now how cheap is that?? And such a nice gift from your friend :)

I sort of did....

Went to Waterstones and picked up

The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky

The Swan Thieves- Elizabeth Kostova

The Elegance of the Hedgehog- Murial Barbery

Too bad you haven't found a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. How's that even possible? But great job finding The Perks of Being a Wallflower :) And The Elegance of the Hedgehog is supposed to be really great, can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I ordered these last week ~

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood) by J.R. Ward

Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward

Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood Series) by J.R. Ward

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell (which sounds awesome!) (Pre~order)

And today ~

Adrian Mole ~ The Prostate Years by Sue Townsend

Blood and Ice by Robert Masello

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games III) by Suzanne Collins (Pre~order) :D

Ooooh, The Prostate Years is out?? Must order that one asap :D I guess you're enjoying the Black Dagger Brotherhood series because you've ordered more of them? I really need to get my hands on those me thinks. Happy reading Paula!

As for me, I finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Started reading Dexter by Design (#4), I'm loving Lindsay's witty writing!

Edited by frankie

I loved C J Sansom's Dissolution so much I may just have bought the other books in the series ... Dark Fire, Sovereign and Revelation

Same here !!! I read The Gargoyle while waiting for the other books were shipped to me. Already half-way through Dark Fire I might just read the whole series one after the other to see how characterisation evolves.

It was quite difficult to get into another book after The Gargoyle though.

Too bad you haven't found a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird. How's that even possible? But great job finding The Perks of Being a Wallflower:) And The Elegance of the Hedgehog is supposed to be really great, can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I could have bought another copy but I know I have a copy somewhere, I'm just having trouble finding it. I'm sure it will turn up.

Am already over halfway through The Perks of Being a Wall Flower

I finished The Earth Hums in B Flat when I got in from work todayand it was lovely so sad but touching too, it was written beautifully imaginately if you know what I mean :)

Edited by pickle

Today I went into Waterstones and very naughtily came out with three books (buy two, get one free).

I bought:

The Room by Emma Donoghue (the one I went in for)

The Crimson Petal & The White by Michael Faber (the one I randomly spotted)

Gallileo's Dream by Kim Stanley Robinson (the one I got for free).

I'm quite happy with my haul!

Pipread, you are in for a treat! I loved The Big Over Easy and I'm so glad you are starting your adventure with Jasper Fforde!! There's one other book that follows TBOE, called The Fourth Bear, and is equally hilarious :D.

I read another 100 pages of The Ruins yesterday and am thinking I might finish today! It's so disturbing, yet I can't stop reading. I'm also finding myself a little annoyed (but in a good way) and can't wait to post my thoughts.

Thanks Peacefield, I'm glad I found him as well, and an extra bonus, my son has ordered The Eyre Affair, so I'll be borrowing that as well! :)

I'm intrigued about The Ruins! I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am still reading 'The Passage' by Justin Cronin :)

How are you finding this Weave?

The Crimson Petal & The White by Michael Faber (the one I randomly spotted)

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

I finished Anne of Avonlea, which was lovely. I've read a good chunk of The Lost Continent as well, and will hopefully finish tomorrow.

I'll also be anxiously checking the mail box every day this week because I'm expecting loads of books soon! :D

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

I have no doubt I will! I'd forgotten about it again even after reading the thread about it on here and really wanting it. It'll probably be a while before I get to it though, it's pretty hefty!

I'm on page 60 of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and I'm really loving it (I know I'm not far in, but I can't see any good reason for that to change!). I don't know why I didn't pick it up years ago!

I have no doubt I will! I'd forgotten about it again even after reading the thread about it on here and really wanting it. It'll probably be a while before I get to it though, it's pretty hefty!

Noll, I've noticed that you can get completely absorbed in books that you love, and fly through hundreds of pages in a day, so I think you'd get through this one quite quickly! I got through it more quickly than I usually would because I just couldn't put it down. I think it's about the heaviest book I own (I like the paper too :blush: ).

Started reading Jeffery Deaver's A Maiden's Grave last night. It's the first book of his that I have read. After the first few pages I was a bit unimpressed. A hundred and fifty pages later I had to force myself to put it down and go to bed :lol:

I finished Broken - Karin Slaughter last night. I loved it!!!! It's a book that you can't read first you have to read the previous ones. I can't wait for the next one, I was left frustrated!

I then read the first chapter of Burned - P.C & Kirstin cast. I hope it keeps my mmojo zooming along.

I'm on page 60 of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë and I'm really loving it (I know I'm not far in, but I can't see any good reason for that to change!). I don't know why I didn't pick it up years ago!

I am so glad you are loving it, it is one of my favourite books ever I have read and re-read it so many times, Mr Rochester is always one of my dream men.

I decided to start Linda Farstein - Cold Hit this morning as I wanted something easy to read before I start A company of Liars

I am so glad you are loving it, it is one of my favourite books ever I have read and re-read it so many times, Mr Rochester is always one of my dream men.

It's on your recommendation that I bought it as we had a discussion about it in the "Top 5 Children's books" thread. :) I can't wait to get stuck in again now I'm home from work! :D