Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

Two hours in Starbucks today and only 50 pages of Rebecca read. The language and style is quite dense and it needs time to absorb all the words, so I think this one's going to be a slow read for me. Loving it so far though :D

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I approve of 2 hours in Starbucks, Chesil! Wtg! :D Is this the first time you've read Rebecca? I felt the same way about it, but enjoyed it very much. :lol:

Started a new book today, Rebecca's Tale which is a follow on to Rebecca by Daphne Du Marrier.

If you enjoyed Rebecca I think you'd love this. I intended to sit down for 30 minutes until the washing machine finished and realised that 3 hours later I hadn't moved :D

Two hours in Starbucks today and only 50 pages of Rebecca read. The language and style is quite dense and it needs time to absorb all the words, so I think this one's going to be a slow read for me. Loving it so far though :D

That must be heaven, I can manage 20 minutes with my little boys, Rebecca is such a wonderful book, I must re read it

So glad you liked it, Coffin Nail! Didn't you find the stuff about the resurrectionists intriguing? I loved reading about that and flashing back and forth between the centuries :D.

Yes I did Peace, and I found it's medical content really interesting but not so technical that I was bemused. The history of medicine is not something I'd ever given much thought to, not only was it dramatic and exciting I felt like I'd learned something. The past and present storylines tied together really well and gave some relief from all the tension on some occasions, but added to it on others.

I approve of 2 hours in Starbucks, Chesil! Wtg! :D Is this the first time you've read Rebecca? I felt the same way about it, but enjoyed it very much. :D

It is the first time I've read it, after a few recommendations on here earlier in the year. Glad you approve of the Starbucks time, although it was an enforced visit after giving a lift to OH and waiting to collect him. Bliss all the same, though ;)

That must be heaven

It was, Joe, it was. :D

Yes I did Peace, and I found it's medical content really interesting but not so technical that I was bemused. The history of medicine is not something I'd ever given much thought to, not only was it dramatic and exciting I felt like I'd learned something. The past and present storylines tied together really well and gave some relief from all the tension on some occasions, but added to it on others.

I agree completely, Coffin! It wasn't overwhelming and was easy to understand. If you like the medical aspect, you might want to check out Iain Pears' book 'The Instance of the Fingerpost.' It's one of my all-time favorites and deals somewhat with the time period where they were just discovering different medical procedures.

Any Starbucks time is good time, right Chesil?! :D I'm heading over to my mom's later and of course I volunteered to pick up a Starbucks for her on my way there! Plus something for myself :D.

I popped into 1/2 Price Books today and picked up the next Kelley Armstrong book, Haunted, and also got The House at Midnight by Lucie Whitehouse which looks really creepy and good! It's got praise listed on it from John Connolly and Lee Child, so I thought it couldn't be half bad, and it was only $2! :D

My reading was woeful on the weekend. :D I'm hoping it will pick up again this week as I get into Much Obliged, Jeeves a bit more. I love what little I've read of it so far.

I'm also hoping for lots of booty in the mail this week because I have about 12 books on order. :D

My reading was woeful on the weekend. :( I'm hoping it will pick up again this week as I get into Much Obliged, Jeeves a bit more. I love what little I've read of it so far.

I'm also hoping for lots of booty in the mail this week because I have about 12 books on order. :D

Too bad about the not-so-successful weekend reading, Kylie :( I'm sure Jeeves will help you with your mojo though ;)

:D I'm sorry, but did you place a booty call? :D Oh the joys of different dialects. What is your understanding of the word booty?

I read about 100 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White yesterday and I'm expecting to get quite a lot of reading done today as well.

I got some more of The Crimson Petal and the White read yesterday too.

I've just finished John Piper's 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die

Finished The Declaration by Gemma Malley last night and started The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick early this morning.

I'm sure Jeeves will help you with your mojo though :D

:D I'm sorry, but did you place a booty call? ;) Oh the joys of different dialects. What is your understanding of the word booty?

I read about 100 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White yesterday and I'm expecting to get quite a lot of reading done today as well.

:D Well, we use booty call in the same way that you are thinking. :( But also booty can mean presents or something similar. :(

How are you enjoying TCPatW, Kate and Frankie?

Wodehouse books often seem to take me ages to read for some reason, despite how light and very entertaining they are. I still feel like I've barely started this one, but I love it already!

:D Well, we use booty call in the same way that you are thinking. ;) But also booty can mean presents or something similar. :(

How are you enjoying TCPatW, Kate and Frankie?

Wodehouse books often seem to take me ages to read for some reason, despite how light and very entertaining they are. I still feel like I've barely started this one, but I love it already!

You use booty call except that booty doesn't always mean booty? Hihiii I'm giggling! Naughty frankie! Nice to have learnt something new about the Aussie English :D

TCPatW is progressing really slowly. I like the detailed characters but I wish the actual plot would pick up soon. I'm on page 170 or so and so far nothing has really happened. :D

While I've been in Kerry, I bought and read quite a bit.

I finished reading:

The Good Man Jesus & The Scoundrel Christ - Phillip Pullman

I bought and read:

Coffee With Oscar Wilde - Merlin Holland

The Complete Short Stories Of Oscar Wilde

I also bought, and am reading:

Possession - A. S. Byatt

I also bought, and have yet to read:

The Shadow Of The Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zaf

So my local book shop has a weekend sale on. We happen to pop in;

'Zen & The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert M Pirsig.

'Nineteen Eighty-Four' by George Orwell

'The New York Trilogy' by Paul Auster

These three are replacements for long lost copies.

'Eleven Kinds Of Loneliness' by Richard Yates

'The Worst Witch' by Jill Murphy, for my niece.

'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens, although this is a Disney illustrated adaptation for my great-nephew.

'Secret Wisdom ~ Occult societies & arcane knowledge through the ages' by Ruth Clydesdale.

'Consider The Birds' by Colin Tudge

Total cost?

Been out visiting and whatnot this Bank Holiday weekend so haven't done a lot of reading but have nearly finished Brideshead Revisited.

Went to a library sale on Saturday and bought

The Gathering - Anne Enright

Past Imperfect - Julian Fellowes

Guernica - Dave Boling

The Snow Garden - Christopher Rice

The Cellist of Sarajevo - Steven Galloway

The Piano Teacher - Janice Y.K. Lee

The Atlas of Impossible Longing - Anuradha Roy

Ragtime in Simla - Barbara Cleverly

Mudbound - Hillary Jordan

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Long Spoon Lane - Anne Perry