The Big Bang Theory

Dimitra

I'm sure one can find sources to support all kinds of viewpoints, especially online, but the impression that the American news media is hounding the issue of this girl's body size is a false one. As the comments circled around what was being said in the U.S. media, I had only thought it might be relevant to give the perspective of someone who lives in the country.  I'm not at all questioning what you've seen, but is it possible that it's only one side of things? 

At any rate, regardless of shape or size, I think it's a great ensemble cast. Jim Parsons is my absolute favorite, though, and I couldn't help thinking of his character as I read The Rosie Project.

I mostly only go to US & People online. They sometimes do "then & now" pictures where they show a terrific picture of (usually a female) celeb looking terrific in the "then" photo, and a not very flattering photo for the "now" photo. 

And there are always comments fields to all articles. That is the most horrible reading ever. So many people comment with such hateful things. And the celeb in question only has to have made one stupid thing in their life to be judged forever. 

Miley Cyrus and Kim Kardashian are probably the 2 most hated celebs right now. Talked about, yes. But mostly horrible things are said of what I can see. 

When Mindy Lahiri was on the cover of a magazine recently, she was the only one featured who wasn't in full body. Some fans were outraged, saying that "just because she's heavy doesn't mean her body should be hidden". So the fans were actually adding so much more to the insult by calling her fat. Of course Mindy herself was proud of her cover and thought it was an insult that her fans came to her defence by saying fat women should also be on covers. 

I am not saying this is an American thing only. It's a problem all over the world really. Next to anorectic women are considered "normal" while women with normal weights for their height are called fat. 

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Virginia and I am a Big Bang Theory addict. I am also responsible for my husband's addiction. I am a user and and enabler. Please do not attempt to help me.

Its so bad that my husband's ringtone is "Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty...." there is no 12-step program, no magic pill, no therapy for me. I am doomed, lost, LOST I SAY, lost.

Its so bad that my husband's ringtone is "Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty...."

If he starts taking an active interest in soft furnishings as well, get worried.

If I'd had to pick anything from TBBT, I think I'd have to go with Sheldon singing "Nobody know the trouble I've seen. . ."

That's good. Spread the passion for TBBT! :) 
Everyone should have someone sing Soft kitty to them when they are ill. 

I am up to date with TBBT. I am only doing that with TBBT, Revenge and Dallas. All other shows I watch when I feel like it, sometime. 

Just want to say, I'm a huge Big Bang Theory fan and live in the United States.  I haven't heard anything on the news or seen anything in tabloids at the check out lanes that even mentions Kaley Cuoco and her weight at anytime in the past few months, so I was really surprised to read your posts.  I'm not saying that I couldn't find someone who said something if I went digging for it, but I really don't think it's at the forefront of our news coverage. 

I agree with your post.

Fact is, there "is" no U.S. media blitz of kaley and a weight gain. If you notice there was no credible source listed for the info. Obviously, it was just several posts "bashing" the U.S.

Also, it is absurd to think that gaining weight is healthy, only in very rare circumstances would that be the case.

btw, my GD met Kaley when GD was working on a movie starring Kaley and the late Dennis Farino. GD said that Kaley was a very nice person.

Edited by muggle not

I agree with your post.

Fact is, there "is" no U.S. media blitz of kaley and a weight gain. If you notice there was no credible source listed for the info. Obviously, it was just several posts "bashing" the U.S.

Also, it is absurd to think that gaining weight is healthy, only in very rare circumstances would that be the case.

btw, my GD met Kaley when GD was working on a movie starring Kaley and the late Dennis Farino. GD said that Kaley was a very nice person.

I was the one who originally brought up the weight gain thing. I was not trying to bash the US. At the time I wrote the post there was a multitude of internet articles  (I read at least four) about Kaley's weight gain all originating from the US. And one of an interview of her saying that she had got back to fitness through spinning classes. That's why I remarked on it and wrote the post. I did not make anything up.

If you will notice I was totally on Kaley's side in all my posts. I am sure she is a vey nice person. Who has said she isn't?  

http://www.skinnygossip.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1542

http://celebsweightgain.com/kaley-cuoco-weight-gain/

http://www.shape.com/celebrities/saddle-kaley-cuoco

http://celebweightgain.com/kaley-cuoco-weight-gain/

Some of the sources and a quote from one of them.  Just to show that I didn't invent  the whole thing. Personally I don't care how big anyone is as long as they are healthy and happy. But I resent the implication that I made it up. Emphasis in bold is mine.

"her body started to change. Around 2010, when CBS started airing the fourth season of Big Bang Theory, the media started buzzing about Kaley Cuoco weight gain.
For most of her admirers, who were used to see Kaley’s slim figure in such movies as Debating Robert Lee, Crimes of Fashion, Cougar Club, Killer Movie and The Penthouse, the changes in her body come as a shock. However, for the ones who have followed her professional career more closely, Kaley Cuoco weight gain is not a surprise. The young actress has publicly admitted that she has always had problems watching her weight. While giving an interview in early 2010s Cuoco revealed that she has recently gained additional pounds. "

Edited by vodkafan

Why on earth would we have a need to bash the US? Aside from some political hypocrisy going on, but that's not bashing the entire country and its inhabitants. 

Vodkafan posted a few links, so I can do the same. One from the UK too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2306018/Kaley-Cuoco-heads-gym-wearing-makeup-exposes-mysterious-large-shadows-eyes.html

http://www.examiner.com/article/want-to-know-how-kaley-couco-stays-shape

Forum link to comments that are so typical:
http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-7818.html

http://dlisted.com/2013/09/26/kaley-cuoco-is-the-new-jennifer-love-hewitt/

http://www.tmz.com/category/weight-loss-and-weight-gain/

http://galleryhip.com/kaley-cuoco-weight-gain.html

http://funtrest.net/kaley-cuoco-weight-gain/

And scroll down to the comments people make on articles that are about her boyfriend/husband NOT weight:
http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/kaley-cuoco-ryan-sweeting-make-first-red-carpet-couple-appearance-picture-2013229

Always such hateful comments. Not just about Kaley of course. Take almost any celeb. US Weekly allows these comments on their website. And I would estimate that around 75% of all comments made on that site are negative. 

• 1 year later...

Anyone feel that for much of the time, Raj gets poor quality lines? I mean, for ages he could only mumble, or gasp ineffectually, when a woman was about.

I only discovered last night that he now has a girlfriend in the show.

I always get the feeling that the writers don't know quite what to do with Raj a lot of the time. It almost feels that they have story arcs on the go for the other characters, but that Raj is a bit of an add-on, with an occasional story line for himself, but usually just a scene here and there. In recent episodes it looks as though he has become just a bit bigger than Stuart, but not quite as big as the others. 

It is a real shame, because not only do I think that the actor has good comedic skills, but I think his character has a lot to offer, especially now he can talk to women! 

Very good points Chrissy. Hes seen as an optional add on I feel, and some of his comments could be interpreted as condescending, patronising or similar, to Indian people. I saw at least one reference to all those starving Indians and here am I , hungry too...which I thought ill judged , and a very poor joke.

Initially, I think the writers wittily use to make the viewer look at their own potential prejudices through Raj, but now I often wince at 'jokes' that have become lazy and lack wit. 

To go off at a tangent a little, I used to occasionally watch How I Met Your Mother. I loathed the behaviour of the character Barney, who treated women appallingly. The big joke of it was that Neil Patrick Harris who played Barney is gay in real life, and therefore I reckon they thought that all the misogyny in the script were OK.

It looks like the makers of TBBT have headed down a similar path with Raj, so that a racist joke or jibe is rendered acceptable because the character is from India. 

In both cases I think they are not only wrong in their thinking, but offensive to the discerning viewer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, poor Raj seems to be more of a secondary character these days. And it seems that the writers got stuck with where to take his storyline, so it's as though they've just given up. It should have been a big thing for Raj to get a girlfriend, but it just kind of happened and then she disappeared, only to make the occasional very brief appearance. It's hard to get a feel for their chemistry when she's hardly ever around...I just don't think it's working with that particular character. They should probably get rid of his girlfriend and introduce a new one who is going to become a regular like Amy and Bernadette.

The season finale was quite good. Has anyone else seen it?

I like Raj's girlfriend Emily. I hope they keep her. It's funny how Raj is at times a little scared of her interests. He's all metrosexual and she's into gore. 

I have slipped behind a few episodes. Gathering up for a little marathon with TBBT, Family guy and Modern family, after finishing my university essay. 

Yes, poor Raj seems to be more of a secondary character these days. And it seems that the writers got stuck with where to take his storyline, so it's as though they've just given up. It should have been a big thing for Raj to get a girlfriend, but it just kind of happened and then she disappeared, only to make the occasional very brief appearance. It's hard to get a feel for their chemistry when she's hardly ever around...I just don't think it's working with that particular character. They should probably get rid of his girlfriend and introduce a new one who is going to become a regular like Amy and Bernadette.

The season finale was quite good. Has anyone else seen it?

Yes, it was sure a heartbreaker. :) I felt sorry for Sheldon. The final episode sure left us "hanging". :)

• 5 months later...