What have you been watching at the cinema? (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DH and I went to see Sherlock Holmes last night and it was really good. Downey and Law were very good in the parts I thought.

Going to see 'It's Complicated' this week with a couple of friends.

What a hoot. A couple of friends and I went to see 'It's Complicated' yesterday....it was a lot of fun. Meryl Streep was great as always. Us an about another 20 wifies with our snacks and chuckling away at the movie. Was fine way to spend a wet afternoon.

Difficult time at the movies this afternoon :lol:.....had to watch about 2 hours of George Clooney :roll::lol: It's those eyes and that voice ;)

Up in the Air.....was enjoyable...he was very good in it.

Saw Avatar a couple of weeks ago, and it was exactly as I expected it to be. Paint-by-numbers, cliche-ridden predictability.

Don't get me wrong, it was stirring in places, but overall it was very black and white (goodies and badies), with two-dimensional characters (tribal natives, a hero who switches sides when he realises the error of his ways, a military villain, immediate love interest), unimaginative creatures (horses with extra legs, dragons - how original, a beast fashioned from a rhino and a hammerhead shark, etc)and a message that simply replays the plight of the native American indians after the invasion of the Europeans. Also, isn't it a coincidence that these Navi evolved into humanoids?

I hate being treated like a drooling child by movie directors/producers, but I especially dislike being sold the idea of such drivel being 'revolutionary.' In what way, exactly? We've already seen CGI and 3D, and although Avatar is the best in both categories, I'd take stop-motion with a plot over it any day that ends in a Y.

If you like bright images and explosions go and see it.

The last movie I saw in cinema was Sherlock Holmes.

I feel that if Avatar is still showing in cinema at weekend I should really go to see what all the fuss is about and so that I can make up my own mind about it. Length of movie kinda puts me off though.

Went to see Avatar yesterday afternoon and what can I say I loved it!

It was amazing and I did not see the time go in at all. I have heard people say that it did not need to be that long but I honestly don't see what they could have left out. 10/10 for me. Pure escapism.

I've just come back from seeing Nowhere Boy with a friend who's a Beatlemaniac to my same degree; we're both in several minds about it, having loved certain bits and having being extremely disappointed with other bits.

I saw The Road last night. It was quite faithful to the book, and I only picked up on one added scene and a few other minor differences. Overall, a very good adaptation and a good movie in its own right. Very depressing though.

Giulia, would you recommend that I see Nowhere Boy then?

At the end of the day I would recommend it because I'm still glad I saw it Kylie; it's just that I'm also miffed because it had to be the potential to be so much better than it was.

Bits I liked

- The music, obviously. Overall well played and sung, too, which might not necessarily have been the case. Look out for a heartbreaking rendition of In Spite of All the Danger towards the end.

- The feel of the film. Period, location... all there, all real, very beautifully shot and put together. Somehow they managed to convey the whole class thing without making the film all grey and bleak, which I found refreshing. The scenery, the accents etc. all made me very homesick for Liverpool, I must say.

- The grown Love Actually kid is young Paul. The likeness is incredible, and he's a very good little actor too. John wasn't too bad, particularly seen from the side, although giving him contact lenses of the right colour couldn't have been that hard. I mean, the actor's eyes are blue?!

- They managed to avoid the trap of making Mimi two-dimensional; stern yes, but her love for John and even Julia ultimately came across.

Bits I didn't like

- Stu does not exist. Nor does Pete, but then Pete wasn't John's (or anybody's, for that matter) best mate; however, leaving Stu out of a film about John's late teens seems preposterous to me.

- I look more like George than the guy they picked to play him.

- They made poor Julia look like a mad nymphomaniac woman.

- I know John was no saint but there was one moment of quite random explicitness which jarred with the rest of the film.

- Stu does not exist. Nor does Pete, but then Pete wasn't John's (or anybody's, for that matter) best mate; however, leaving Stu out of a film about John's late teens seems preposterous to me.

Wow, that is a huge oversight. :readingtwo: Stu was so very important in John's life! I'm shocked that they would leave him out.

Thanks for the in-depth review. I'll definitely have to check it out. :D