Ben's Books, '09

Ben

Well, I doubt I'll be reading as many books upto late May/June, unless that includes revision books! However, I've still decided to create a topic which I will keep updated with books I've read so far in this year. :D

Books read so far in 2009. - 48. :lol:

January.

1) Ravens Gate. - Anthony Horowitz.

2) Evil Star. - Anthony Horowitz.

3) Nightrise. - Anthony Horowitz.

4) Necropolis. - Anthony Horowitz.

5) First test. - Tamora Pierce.

6) Treasure Island. - Robert Louis Stevenson.

7) The Magicians Guild. - Trudi Canavan.

8) The Novice. - Trudi Canavan.

9) Inkheart. - Cornelia Funke.

10) The Book Thief. - Markus Zusak.

11) The Tales Of Beedle The Bard. - JK Rowling.

February.

12) The Amulet Of Samarkand.- Jonathan Stroud.

13) The Golem's Eye. - Jonathan Stroud.

14) Ptolemy's Gate. - Jonathan Stroud.

15) The High Lord. - Trudi Canavan.

16) The Colour of Magic. - Terry Pratchett.

17) Ice Palace. - Robert Swindells.

18) Noughts and Crosses. - Malorie Blackman.

19) Private Peaceful. - Michael Morpurgo.

20) Cell. - Stephen King.

March.

21) The Alchemist. - Paulo Coelho.

22) The Host. - Stephenie Meyer.

23) The Gaudi Key. - Esteban Martin & Andreu Carranza.

24) The Hobbit. - J.R.R Tolkien.

25) Witches Abroad. - Terry Pratchett.

26) Swallows and Amazons. - Arthur Ransome.

27) The Magician's Nephew. - C.S. Lewis.

28) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. - C.S. Lewis.

29) The Horse and His Boy. - C.S. Lewis.

April.

30) Prince Caspian. - C.S. Lewis.

31) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. - C.S. Lewis.

32) The Silver Chair. - C.S. Lewis.

33) The Last Battle. - C.S. Lewis.

May.

34) The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher. - Kate Summerscale.

June.

35) Inkspell. - Cornelia Funke.

36) The Hundredth Man. - Jack Kerley.

July.

37) The Savage Garden. - Mark Mills.

38) Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince. - JK Rowling.

August.

39) Marked. - P.C. & Kristin Cast.

40) Betrayed. - P.C. & Kristin Cast.

41) Chosen. - P.C. & Kristin Cast.

42) The Death List. - Paul Johnston.

43) The Skin Gods. - Richard Montanari.

44) 9987. - Nik Jones.

45) Inkdeath. - Cornelia Funke.

September.

46) The Great Gatsby. - F. Scott Fitzgerald.

October.

47) The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time. - Mark Haddon.

November.

48) Scorpia. - Anthony Horowitz.

Bold = Current read.

Hoping for some new and interesting reads this year! Hopefully will be reading a lot as well. :D

Edited by Ben

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading First Test by Tamora Pierce.

Just getting into it really, but it sounds good so far.

Sypnosis from the back.

In the medieval and fantastic realm of Tortall, Keladry of Mindelan (Known as Kel) is the first girl to take advantage of the decree that permits females to train for knighthood. Up against the traditional hazing of pages and a grueling scedule, Kel faces only one real roadblock: Lord Wyldon, the training master of pages and squires. He is absolutely against girls becoming knights. So while he is forced to train her, Wyldon puts her on probation for a year. It's a trial period that no male page has ever had to endure and one that separates the good-natured Kel even more from her fellow trainees during the tough first year. But Kel is not a girl to underestimate, as everyone is about to find out...

Finished First Test. I was very impressed actually, had not really heard of Tamora Pierce, but this left me wanting more. I would recommend. Kel really stands up for who she is and what she believes in, I love her 'Never give in' attitude, and how she sticks up for herself despite all the odds. I bought this book over a year ago and could never get into it, but this time I found it thoroughly enjoyable. (Maybe I was having an off day.) I will certainly see if I can get the sequel asap.

My rating. 7/10.

I can honestly not believe I've never read this book. I'm certainly starting Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, as soon as possible.

Sypnosis from back.

Following the demise of a thirsty buccaneer Captain Flint, young Jim Hawkins finds himself with the key to a fortune. For he has discovered a map that will lead him to the fabled Treasure Island. But a host of villains, wild beasts and deadly savages stand between him and the stash of gold. Not to mention the most infamous pirates to ever sail the high seas...

I can honestly not believe I've never read this book. I'm certainly starting Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, as soon as possible.

I've never read it either. I got it free when I pre-ordered J K Rowling's latest offering (which I haven't read yet!) so I'm intending to read it this year.

We'll be able to compare notes! :lol:

I've never read it either. I got it free when I pre-ordered J K Rowling's latest offering (which I haven't read yet!) so I'm intending to read it this year.

We'll be able to compare notes! :D

Me too, haha. I assume your talking about The Tales Of Beedle The Bard? :D Awesome, I haven't got around to reading that either, I think it's next after reading Treasure Island. I'll be happy to discuss both with you. :lol:

Good luck with your revision! What subjects will you be revising for?

Well I'm in year 11, so my normal subjects, Maths and English. (Don't have an exam in Science.) Then the subjects I picked for GCSE; Religious Education, History, Spanish, and Music. :lol:

Well I'm in year 11, so my normal subjects, Maths and English. (Don't have an exam in Science.) Then the subjects I picked for GCSE; Religious Education, History, Spanish, and Music. :D

You're lucky, back in my day (how old do I sound :D) we had to do an exam in Science :lol:.

Good Luck with your exams and stuff :D.

You're lucky, back in my day (how old do I sound :D) we had to do an exam in Science :lol:.

Good Luck with your exams and stuff :D.

Haha, well I took the 100% coursework, we still end up getting the same qualifications, we just do applied science, and not the different types of science; chemistry, physics, etc. And thanks for the good luck, I'll need it all. :D ~ Ben.

I finished Treasure Island just over 30min ago, so I thought I'd right a little review. Bare in mind its my first, and I'm not to sure if it's ok..

Treasure_Island_Jkt.jpg

Treasure Island. - Robert Louis Stevenson.

Synopsis.

Following the demise of a thirsty buccaneer Captain Flint, young Jim Hawkins finds himself with the key to a fortune. For he has discovered a map that will lead him to the fabled Treasure Island. But a host of villains, wild beasts and deadly savages stand between him and the stash of gold. Not to mention the most infamous pirates to ever sail the high seas...

Review.

I for one thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a real turn-paging classic, that excites the reader from start to finish. At a mere 302 pages, Stevenson manages to fit in more entertaining scenes, and more interesting, cunning characters, than most authors would manage to fit into a trilogy. Robert Louis Stevenson just gets that balance between characters and action, perfect. From the tap-tap-tapping of blind man Pew's stick as he reaches closer to where young Jack Hawkins hides, to the commanding voice of Captain Smollett as he shouts orders at the crew. Packed through with action and sword-swishing buccaneers, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fast-paced book, that is rich with twists and turns throughout.

9/10.

Edited by Ben
Updated review.

The Magicians Guild by Trudi Canavan. - I've decided to read the first in The Black Magician Trilogy, after hearing some good things about it. (I do think we have a thread on here, although I can't seem to find it :lol:) Anyway, I'm getting that under way now, it's the week-end so should be getting very stuck into it.

The brief synopsis from back.

After five hundred years of order, the magicians' guild's worst fear had been released - An untrained magician is lose on the streets..

Looking forward to this one, let me know what you guys thought! :D I'll write a brief review when I've finished.

The Magicians Guild by Trudi Canavan. - I've decided to read the first in The Black Magician Trilogy, after hearing some good things about it. (I do think we have a thread on here, although I can't seem to find it :D) Anyway, I'm getting that under way now, it's the week-end so should be getting very stuck into it.

I have just finished the last in the series about 5 mins ago! Its a FANTASTIC series! Enjoy

Edited by Kell
fixed quote code

Well into Magicians Guild now (pg330 or thereabouts.) Was hoping to have finished it by now, but not been having the best of days so haven't had much chance. Enjoying it a lot though, got me turning the pages! ;) I will right a review when I've finished.

I certainly did. Still new to reviews, this is only me second, bare with me guys! Comments on it would be appreciated.

p3788.jpg

The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan.

ISBN: 978-1-905654-10-9.

The brief synopsis from back.

After five hundred years of order, the magicians' guild's worst fear has been realised - An untrained magician is lose on the streets..

Review

Well, after hearing good things about this book, I was very eager to give it a go. I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint!

The story is centred around a young slum girl, Sonea who is hunted by the magicians guild, for her rogue magic. What makes this book stand out is that it is packed with action. You feel like you are on your own journey with Sonea, and you will her on in her race through the slums away from the magicians that hunt her. The characters and plot are very well written; from the myseterious group that call themselves the Thieves, that know everything and anything that is happening, to Harrin and Cery and the gang of youths that make it there business to stand up and make themselves noticed. Twist and turns are ripe through this book, and this what makes you keep turning the pages to the very end. Be prepared from some very interesting shocks and surprises.

I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers out there, that maybe take an interest in magic and deception. I will be looking forward to reading the sequel, entitled The Novice as soon as I can get hold of it.

10/10 from me, a thrilling read!

Edited by Ben

Stumbled onto Inkheart and I've heard some good things and some bad. I'll give it a read and see what I think. ;) Anyone else read it that wants to comment?

ME OH MY GOD ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING NICI SAYS! LISTEN TO ME AND MICHELLE!!!!

Sorry. That series is one of my all time favourite series EVAR, and I haven't even read the third one yet.

Focus on Dustfinger!!! Focus on him, and you'll HAVE to love it. For me, the story is really all about him.

Its a bit tedious in parts, and theres a bit of repition, but give it a fair chance, its so much better than half the rubbish out there!!

I wrote a review on my blog, here

Its detailed, but not spoilerish. You can always just read the general ramble, thats how my blogs are designed, for a general review, read the general ramble. For my humble opinions, read the in-depth one. ;)

ME OH MY GOD ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DON'T LISTEN TO ANYTHING NICI SAYS! LISTEN TO ME AND MICHELLE!!!!

Sorry. That series is one of my all time favourite series EVAR, and I haven't even read the third one yet.

Focus on Dustfinger!!! Focus on him, and you'll HAVE to love it. For me, the story is really all about him.

Its a bit tedious in parts, and theres a bit of repition, but give it a fair chance, its so much better than half the rubbish out there!!

I wrote a review on my blog, here

Its detailed, but not spoilerish. You can always just read the general ramble, thats how my blogs are designed, for a general review, read the general ramble. For my humble opinions, read the in-depth one. ;)

Ha, I've read Nic's review, and I read your general one in the early hours of this morning. Mixed opinions, but I'll be certainly seeing how it goes. As for that repetition comment, I've heard a lot about that. Is it a major flaw to the story-line?

Ahaha you read my ramble already ;) Makes me happy that people read my blog.

And yes, Nellie, I do like these books rather a lot. Its because I read them when I was 15 and I was just the right age then!!

And the repetition - it didn't bother me at all. It was a case of 'yay we got out, oh we forgot something, and oh no they're coming after us, we have to go back/get dragged back/whatever.' Something like that. I thought it was quite funny really, especially Eleanor in those situations. It depends how much you love the book up to that point.

Ahaha you read my ramble already :) Makes me happy that people read my blog.

And yes, Nellie, I do like these books rather a lot. Its because I read them when I was 15 and I was just the right age then!!

And the repetition - it didn't bother me at all. It was a case of 'yay we got out, oh we forgot something, and oh no they're coming after us, we have to go back/get dragged back/whatever.' Something like that. I thought it was quite funny really, especially Eleanor in those situations. It depends how much you love the book up to that point.

I always dip into peoples blogs, I find other peoples opinions of books interesting. I'm 15, so maybe I'm just the right age! ;)