A new first line of current book

Nici

;) Just as many times. I believe you!

Edit 13:01 -

"In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part.." - The Colour of Magic.

I'm hooked already. :blush:

Edited by Ben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how many times have you read

"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much."

Believe it or not, that was from memory :lol:

;) strangely I would be able to quote that off by heart even though I usually skip the first few chapters, but I couldn't do that with chamber of secrets which is my favourite.

:lol: strangely I would be able to quote that off by heart even though I usually skip the first few chapters, but I couldn't do that with chamber of secrets which is my favourite.

I can't remember the chamber of secrets first line either! I think it is probably something to do with Harry being in his room. Perhaps doing homework. ;) I only remember it because I had to read it so many times to my brothers. They forgot what happened so I started again :17:

"Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son." 'Salem's Lot, Stephen King.

I can't remember the chamber of secrets first line either! I think it is probably something to do with Harry being in his room. Perhaps doing homework. :lol: I only remember it because I had to read it so many times to my brothers. They forgot what happened so I started again ;)

"Almost everyone thought the man and the boy were father and son." 'Salem's Lot, Stephen King.

Oh it's something about he was an unusual boy in many ways, firstly he was a wizard, secondly he actually wanted to do his homework but had to study it at night...no that's Prisoner of Azkaban isn't it? Because he was writing his history of magic essay about witch burning and he finished it in diagon alley outside floren's ice-cream parlour...

The Zone. That's what the compound was called. A double barrier of dense barbed wire encircled it, back by a high fence and watchtowers that never slept.

Under a Blood Red Sky by Kate Furnivall.

OK that's three lines but one line wouldn't have meant anything;)

'Oh for a muse of fire, that would ascend

The brightest heaven of invention'

Henry V - William Shakespeare

Well you can't make someone do anything, unless through bribery or torture, but I'd try my best to make them read. :)

Yes, but how succesful do you think you'd be if you tried to force them? How succesful are all the teachers who spring a classic on their class and just tell them to get on with it? That's what the author is getting at.

Though obviously we all try to share our love of reading, and that's great! :D

There was Eru, the One, who in Arda is called Iluvatar; and he made first the Ainur, the Holy Ones, that were the offspring of his thought, and they were with him before aught else was made.

The Silmarillion - J R R Tolkien