Have you read a book in one sitting?

Pet Semetary by Stephen King (on a lonley day at RAF Innsworth)

a Louis L'amour book on a train journey (the only book I bought at the station and left on a train after finishing it,wished I had'nt because I cant remember the title,it was 23 years ago though)

Stiff little fingers, song by song by Jake Burns and Alan Parker(I'm pretty sure it was a oner but I was at work at the time!)

a few others would have been done in one sitting if work had'nt got in the way!I think its a really good way to read a book and hope to do it again this year,but with 4 kids running about it may prove difficult.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pet Semetary by Stephen King (on a lonley day at RAF Innsworth)

I remember reading this and it scaring the c*** outta me! Fantastic! Just what you want a good horror to do :lol: But if I remember correctly that was a doorstop of a book, (or else my hands were smaller when I read it at that young age :D) so you must read really fast to do it in one sitting!

I remember reading this and it scaring the c*** outta me! Fantastic! Just what you want a good horror to do :lol: But if I remember correctly that was a doorstop of a book, (or else my hands were smaller when I read it at that young age :D) so you must read really fast to do it in one sitting!

Its a class book,I dont think I'm a particularly fast reader but I did'nt know anyone at Innsworth I was stuck in a tiny little room on my own no tv nowt. so I bought the book opened it and closed when I was finished.It helps that it was a very fast paced book. I must read it again some time

I don't often read books in one sitting, but I can easily finish a book in a day. Particularly if I've got a day off and go to one of my favourite places on the train - 2-3 hours on the train, plus coffee shop and lunchtime cafe reading sessions can easily give me enough time to finish a medium length book if it's captivating enough (around 250-350 pages).

Some memorable ones recently were Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones and Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day by Winifred Watson.

Plus, if I read any children's or YA books, they tend to be quick reads - I got through the entire Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz in a long weekend.

I read "The Beach House" by Jane Green in one sitting.. Fabulous book and just too hard to put down!

I have 'Life Swap' by Jane Green on my TBR list. Do you know if its any good? I've never heard of her before ... a friend offered it to me as she was finished with it and said it was good, and well, you know me .. I'm not one to refuse a book! :)

I have 'Life Swap' by Jane Green on my TBR list. Do you know if its any good? I've never heard of her before ... a friend offered it to me as she was finished with it and said it was good, and well, you know me .. I'm not one to refuse a book! :)

I do like some Jane Green books, but Life Swap was not one of my favourites, I have to admit. I loved her early books up to Bookends, but after that, they are a bit hit and miss for me (I couldn't even finish Babyville). However, Life Swap felt like she was coming back on form, so not one of her worst, but not her best, but it did entertain me enough to read The Beach House which I thought was great.

It's happened a few times to me, I tend to find brilliant books that make me unable to put them down. Fear by Jeff Abbot, I read in one sitting. And also the last harry potter book, Deathly Hallows. I'd slept in the day before getting my copy at midnight, so I could read it all without stopping, other than for coffee. :lol:

Would reading anything by Roger Hargreaves count though ? :D

:lol: Maybe!

I read 410/450 pages of a book on Monday (so it would have been one book in a sitting if it was a smaller book ( :D ) but usually it's only children's books - I read Peter Pan and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland in one sitting - or those with fewer than 250 pages that I can manage in a day.

I do like some Jane Green books, but Life Swap was not one of my favourites, I have to admit. I loved her early books up to Bookends, but after that, they are a bit hit and miss for me (I couldn't even finish Babyville). However, Life Swap felt like she was coming back on form, so not one of her worst, but not her best, but it did entertain me enough to read The Beach House which I thought was great.

Hmm .. I'll maybe put this in the 'books to be read, but not just yet' section of my TBR pile. :D

:lol:

And also the last harry potter book, Deathly Hallows. I'd slept in the day before getting my copy at midnight, so I could read it all without stopping, other than for coffee. :lol:

Wow, hats off to you! I would've loved to have read it in one sitting, it was so good, but it was just way too long for me to read just like that :D I still can't believe anyone could manage it. That's commitment if anything!

Wow, hats off to you! I would've loved to have read it in one sitting, it was so good, but it was just way too long for me to read just like that :lol: I still can't believe anyone could manage it. That's commitment if anything!

Thank you, I just wanted to get to the end of the series I guess. Well, in the same way I didn't want to get there because of the sadness I felt that the wonderful Harry Potter books were finally at an end. 7-8years of growing up and hoping for the next instalment.

By the time I was thirteen most books would be finished in one sitting. Those mystery books, Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew would only take an hour each. Novels as thick as those books the same, thicker would be two to three hours. These days finding the time to finish a nice thick book (over an inch thick with in small print) is tricky.

• 1 month later...
I wasn't feeling very well yesterday, so I stayed in bed and read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas in one sitting; such a powerful and thought provoking little book, I even shed a few tears which is very unusual for me.

Me too! It's the only book i have read in one sitting,I find I just hae too much to do as much as It would be my idea of heaven to read and read!!:lol: