The last film you saw - 2014

Michelle

[Rant Mode on] Man, I can't bring myself to watch any of those comic book films anymore, Iron Man, SpiderMan, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Thor, The Avengers- it's all Hollywood seems to churn out over and over and all originally just comic books written for children. The few I have ended up seeing I have regretted afterwards as wasted hours. Where has all the originality and imagination gone?   [Rant off]

Hah!  :D  I couldn't agree more.  I have liked the Superman films, but that's it.  And I know it isn't everyone's cuppa. 

We haven't been to see a film out in.......I'm not sure when!  It's been quite a while at any rate.  Nothing has come up.  They're either kid's movies, or some sort of horror/paranormal/supernatural stuff  that wasn't worth picking up with tongs. IMO. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have always liked independent British films and I find myself turning to them more and more. We do have our rubbish too of course we just can't afford to throw as much money at it.... 

Part of the problem is that many of the independent films simply are not shown down here.  There used to be several good theatres in downtown New Orleans, but they are long gone.  The single screen independent theatre, The Prytania, is having to show a lot of dross to keep in business.  They do have some good stuff, but many times that is shown late at night, when I don't really care to be in the Uptown section of N.O. 

Over here, on the North Shore, there is nothing.  Only the types I've mentioned above.  If we do see something playing there, we'd better get there quickly, as it won't last long. 

Divergent ,I didn't like it, it was no different to any usual formulaic movie.

The Hunger Games was just in another class.

Edited by dex

I'm without a TV at the moment so after finding myself at a bit of a loose end I decided to check out BBC iPlayer for something to watch and came across Gnomeo & Juliet which I had never seen before.  Cute movie, which not only made me smile but also brought a tear to my eye!

The Pink Panther with Steve Martin. I am a Peter Sellers fan, so I will never see anyone but him as the real inspector. But if you try thinking of the movie as a whole other movie than one in the series, it's not bad at all. But they did delete some of the best scenes which is so strange. 

I have just finished watching the Desolation of Smaug and I loved it! I thought that it followed a lot closer to the original story and I can see why he added some extra scenes in the few places that he did deviate from the story. I am also enjoying seeing the other side of Gandalf that was hinted at in LOTR but never quiet seen. So all in all I enjoyed it and there is only one thing I have to say about the movie that is anything but good, one is that they ought to have made the jewels and gold on Smaugs underside more visible, after all he did have about a kings ransom stuck into his tummy scales after sleeping on all that gold for so many years!

I just watched Frozen on DVD with my daughter. A bit too much singing for my liking, but the animation is fantastically rendered, and it is, as you expect for a Disney film, a feel good film. It was nice to cosy up with Amy on the sofa and watch it

I just watched Frozen on DVD with my daughter. A bit too much singing for my liking, but the animation is fantastically rendered, and it is, as you expect for a Disney film, a feel good film. It was nice to cosy up with Amy on the sofa and watch it

I have had to watch Frozen three times now. The kids seem to really like it. I prefer Brave though

Transcendence - which I found very thought provoking.

I just saw that advertised on the side of a bus. I saw it had Paul Bettany in it who is a great actor. I will watch him in anything. I bet he brings passion and drama to doing his laundry or making an omelette 

The Amazing Spider-Man

This was actually better than I was expecting.  Not great - it's not a patch on the first two Rami films - but it was certainly better than the third. 

Generally I think it was too close a re-tread of Spider-man for it's own good and I think it could have been a lot better had it had a better score (James Horner's music is distinctly underwhelming, it's no where near as good as Elfman's score).

On the plus side Andrew Garfield was likeable as Peter Parker and he had good chemistry with Emma Stone.  Special kudos to Martin Sheen as Uncle Jed Ben!

Iron Man 2

Not as good as one or three, and Black Widow was oddly passive compared to her turns in The Avengers and the latest Captain America.

Tony Stark was also a jerk (well, a bigger jerk than usual . . .).