Read-a-thon - (2013-2015)

Athena

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Book No.1 Cross Country - James Patterson, 406 pages - 85 3 hrs 45 mins.

Well I've started from P.85 of Cross Country and I've read to page 162 in 32 mins. I'm keeping track of time spent reading aswell. I've got to page 203 lunchtime friday, after reading on the bus 15 mins and breaktimes 45 mins. Then at home I got to page 262 after 50 mins.

Saturday, I read from 262 to 403 in 1 hr 25 mins.

So Cross Country took 3 hrs 45 mins. 1 down ;-) 08:53

Edited by dex

Sorry to hear that, Janet :(.

@ dex

Nice progress!

I'm only half participating and not recording any time or anything, but so far I've read:

Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (last ~40 pages or something?)

Maureen Lee - Amy's Diary (~119 pages)

Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany's (not finished yet)

I loved The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and liked Amy's Diary. So far Breakfast at Tiffany's is allright but I'm confused as to what's going on. There are a lot of references and metaphors I don't understand. I do love the descriptions (when they don't contain things I don't understand). I haven't seen the film yet though I did buy it so maybe that'll help me understand it better. Maybe it'll get better as the book progresses but so far it's confusing me. I feel like I'm getting the general gist of it but I'm missing some of what's happening.

To be fair, Amy's Diary has a big font, but maybe I have, I'm not sure. I'll have to see how much reading I get done in total, hopefully I should be able to read a bit tomorrow and Sunday too. I do enjoy it a lot. Have fun with your book :)!

Edited by Athena

Day one of the read-a-thon and as predicted, I haven't been able to read much due to studying and general life stuff. In fact, I've only managed 47 pages of '44 Scotland Street' by Alexander McCall Smith :blush2: Having said that though, I'm really enjoying it, I love the humour so far.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to to make up for my lousy page count!

Edited by karen.d

Sorry to hear you couldn't read much. I'm glad to hear though you're enjoying 44 Scotland Street :), I own a few books that are part of that series (books 3, 4 and 6). I aim to buy all of them before I start reading the series.

I have read Of Mice and Men today despite the fact that I am at work. It's a great book and I wish I had been given the option of reading it when I was at school. The only other book I have brought with me is The Handmaids Tale so i might get to that later.

It's 10:00 a.m. here in Canada (PT), and I'm ready to begin reading after taking care of a few chores. 

My goals:  finish The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry this morning (120 pages to go)

Then I had in mind to read two or three shorter novels - Parnassus on Wheels, Freya of the Seven Isles, The Overcoat.

Good Luck to everyone and Happy Reading!

I was doing my festival area guarding duty today and was exhausted when I got home (not that it was physically or mentally demanding, I just didn't sleep very well last night), and a nap wasn't really a cure for that this time, I've been feeling groggy ever since I woke up. So not much progress! Only 50 pages or so of Pig Island. Hoping to do a lot better tomorrow :D

OK, so I'm going to whisper this so my fragile mojo doesn't hear.....I am 41 % through 'Clockwork Princess' The third book in Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices series. :D

I thought a read-a-thon might be a great jump start to my reading, and despite having had a busy day in many regards I have been diving back into my kindle at every opportunity.

I have read Of Mice and Men today despite the fact that I am at work. It's a great book and I wish I had been given the option of reading it when I was at school. The only other book I have brought with me is The Handmaids Tale so i might get to that later.

I read it today too Brian and thought it was great :)

The tennis (and the heat) affected my reading time a bit but I've not done too badly all things considered.

Altogether I've managed approx five and a half hours.

finished off Saraswati Park by Anjali Joseph (85 pages)

Read Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (123 pages inc intro)

Started reading The Journal of Dora Damage by Belinda Starling (102 pages read so far and can possibly read a bit more later)

I noticed when timing myself this morning that I was reading approx a page a minute .. this afternoon though when I was more distracted it was taking a little longer. 

Book No.2 , I, Alex Cross James Patterson 456 pages 3/5 Just under 4 hrs of reading.

09:00 10:00, Managed to read 100 pages, it does have bigger text and 4 lines less. 25 compared to 29 in cross country. Between 10.15 and 11.05, I managed to read another 100 pages. The book is flowing quite well, 256 to go. Between 11.30 and 12.30, I managed to read 117 pages. I'm liking this one a bit more than Cross Country. Between 13.00 and 14.04 I Finished.

Edited by dex

Great progress for most people :)! I haven't read a lot yet today because I worked on uni stuff and we did some food shopping. Once I'm done browsing the forums though I plan to read some more.

Book No. 3, James Patterson - Cross Fire 452 Pages. 4 3/4 hrs 2.5/5

Chapter 5
'Denny led the way, and Mitch followed like the man child in that old Steinbeck book Of Mice and Men.'
I managed 52 pages before I went to bed, Chapter 11. 24 pages at 07.00 . 106 pages between 11.00 and 12.30. I read 102 pages between 15.40 and 14.40 and am now at Page 285. Another hour and 99 pages read. Page 385 Chapter 99. Just over 30 mins to finish.
This one's been slightly slower.

Edited by dex

Today I've read:

Truman Capote - Breakfast at Tiffany's (second half, total 158 pages)

Roald Dahl - The Twits (87 pages)

Not nearly as much as with the last read-a-thon so far, but I'm having fun reading, though. I'm only half participating anyway XD.

I've only managed about 50 pages of The Handmaid's Tale today, I've been looking after apprentices so I've been busier than normal. I don't have any plans for this evening though so I will be relaxing and reading some more.