bree's book log : 2012

bree

So do I poppy :) (Get out of breath, I mean!)

The videos are good, aren't they?

I put them on when I need to finish the cooking, and she jumps around splashing-and-sploshing and squelching-and-squerching, watching them.

This made me smile, I can just imagine Alya doing this .....give her a big hug from me :friends0:

Thoughts:

This book has a special place in my heart. I can't read it without my voice dropping to a hush, and my hands gently caressing each page before turning it.

I'm not sure what it is about the book, but it makes me want to breathe slowly and take my time with it.

The vast, open spaces of a world, which has, the sun and the moon, the flowers and the fruits, the birds and the beasts, and yes, this child, thriving and belonging, is brought to life, beautifully.

Alya likes it too - not as much as I do, though :)

From inside:

1pgphk.jpg

So beautifully put ....this is exactly what I was talking about Missy Bree!! :flowers2:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magnolias+Tulika+cover.jpg

Magnolias

Words : Malati Shah

Pictures : Amrita Kanther

First published: 2012

About:

Gulab is gardener in a house on top of a hill. One evening, on his way back from work, he gathers a bunch of magnolias to take home to his wife.

On the way he meets Raju Ghodawala, Tsering and her baby who have come from Tibet, Lacchami going back to her cows - they are all dear friends of his, and he finds himself giving away a flower to each one. He even leaves one on the grave of Coonah, a dear dog.

Will he have anything left for his wife?

Thoughts:

Tulika Books are a newish Indian publishing company which brings out some wonderful books for children growing here. This is one of them.

The art-work is done in the style of the Paharis - the people who live on the foothills of the Himalayas.

The gently-told story, with its vividly-different pictures is a quiet treasure.

And I love the word "magnolias" :)

lai-lai-the-baby-elephant.jpg

Lai-Lai The Baby Elephant

Words and Photographs: Shekar Dattatri

First published: 2006

About:

A bi-lingual book, about a baby elephant called "Lai-Lai". The brilliant photographs of Dattatri, and the simple text, make it an engrossing book on learning about elephants in the wild.

Thoughts:

Another gem from Tulika Publishers.

Lai-Lai is a beautiful baby elephant and it is fascinating to learn about her through the photographs.

My copy is a bi-lingual one, in English and my native tongue - Kannada - and it is pleasure to read it out to Alya in both.

She of course, loves Lai-Lai to bits.

From inside:

(These images are from an English-Hindi copy)

126_page1.png

126_page3.png

Edited by bree

This made me smile, I can just imagine Alya doing this .....give her a big hug from me :friends0:

So beautifully put ....this is exactly what I was talking about Missy Bree!! :flowers2:

:friends0:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bree, how are you liking Angela's Ashes? Have you seen the film?

Didn't know there was a film vodkafan! Will look out for it.

I like what I've read - haven't completed it yet...

Hello Divya (what a beautiful name!) :)

I just wanted to say that I'm loving how you are incorporating pictures to your reviews: it makes the books come to life more :smile2:

Thank you sweet frankie :friends3:

I love your real name too :)

• 3 weeks later...