bree's book log : 2012

bree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I mentioned on the other thread, if it's not too much trouble poppy, please keep a little log - you have much to share.

seconded :)

To quote Swiper the Fox from Dora the Explorer (one of my daughter's favourites) 'Oh man!!!' :doh:

The reason I've never kept a log is that I suck at giving book reviews and my reading rate has been pretty slow. I also have a tendency to drop books partly read because either I lose interest or something else comes along. Once upon a time, I stoically finished any book I started, no matter how much I disliked it. But now, due partly to deciding that life's too short to waste on books I don't like and partly because I have declining self-discipline, I'm a bit like a ditsy butterfly (Oh look, there's a prettier flower over there!!)

But if you're happy with a very basic list, I'll start one for the books I've read this year. Thank you both, it's really nice that you would be interested in what I've read :friends3:

• 3 weeks later...

103829.jpg

The Black Pearl

Scott O'Deal

First published :1967

Awards :

Newbury Honor - 1967

Author - Hans Christian Anderson winner

Synopsis:

This YA book is a coming-of-age tale of Ramon Salazar, the sixteen-year old son of a pearl dealer in Baja, California-Mexico.

Ramon discovers the 'Pearl of Heaven' - a huge, magnificent, black pearl - and the town is in awe and celebration. Except for two men.

The first is Soto Luzon, an old fisherman who believes that the pearl belongs to the Manta Diablo, the lord and monster of the seas - who will wreck havoc till the pearl is returned.

And the second is the unscrupulous Gaspar Ruiz - who wants the pearl for himself.

Caught between two forces - the wrath of the manta and the greed of Ruiz - Ramon realises that he is the only one who can undo the evil that the pearl has unleashed.

Thoughts:

A splendid tale of sea, superstition, storm and monster. It's a tiny book - just 96 pages - and it successfully sweeps you into intriguing world. It had me hooked right from the front cover. It was a wonderful read for a rainy afternoon (the monsoons are here) - one can almost feel the sea, and see the shadow of the giant manta ray looming over.

9346558.jpg

Morning Girl

Micheal Dorris

First published:1992

Award: Scott O'Dell award for Historical Fiction

Synopsis:

Set in 1492, in the Bahamas, this Native American tale describes the life of a Taino girl - Morning Girl - and her brother - Star Boy. In alternating chapters each of them describes his/her thoughts on the world inside and around.

A tale of family, sibling rivalry, self-discovery and the beauty of living in harmony with nature - a tale from a world which was yet to be discovered by Columbus.

Thoughts:

Pure poetry. Every page is a joy - full of beauty and wisdom and simplicity and truth. The family of four - the father, mother and the two children - are very real, very likable and wonderfully inspiring in their interactions with each other. Their relationship with Nature is almost spiritual, divine even.

A beautiful beautiful book - and without doubt one I will go back to many times.

Quotes/Excerpts:

"I don't tell this to anyone because they might misunderstand, but I like the aloneness of the early morning. I try to step gently on the path so that the sounds I make will blend into the rustle of the world. Father taught me how to swim on land, careful as a turtle. You'll see more if you're quiet, he told me. Things don't hide or wait for you to pass. And, it's more polite.

Another thing: if the day starts before you do, you never catch up. You spend all your time running after what you should have already done, and no matter how much you hurry, you never finish the race in a tie. The day wins."

"I don't need sleep anymore" I said.

"That's too bad." My mother shook her head and smoothed my hair flat. "How will you dream if you don't sleep? How will you hear yourself?"

Names are strange and special gifts. There are names you give to yourself and names to show the world, names that stay for a short while and names that remain forever, names that come from things you do and names that you receive as presents from other people.

If your name is true, it is who you are

I must have slept, because I woke up, and three things were different. The biting bugs had returned, the morning star had appeared in the eastern sky, and my mother had come to sit beside me. She was quiet, waiting, her body a dim shape settled so naturally into itself that until she spoke I couldn't be sure that she was not just my wish.

"Tell me what you've learned," she asked, her voice low and like a dream.

"At night," I answered in that same whispering tone, "you must be your own friend."

My mother took a short breath, and I knew she understood me.

Edited by bree

All the books you post have the most incredible cover art.

I like them too - I guess its because I usually buy old copies of old books.

Wonderful quotes again Bree :smile:

They are, aren't they? I think you'd enjoy Morning Girl, poppy - don't pass it if it comes your way.

They are, aren't they? I think you'd enjoy Morning Girl, poppy - don't pass it if it comes your way.

It doesn't appear to be in our library but a couple of his others are. I'll write it down to look out for Bree, it looks very good.

Some great reviews here Bree and some books I have never heard of too. Loved the kiddies books...Hairy Mclairy is one of our favourites. Have you heard of Katie Morag by Mairi Hedderwick...great stories for kids.

Some great reviews here Bree and some books I have never heard of too. Loved the kiddies books...Hairy Mclairy is one of our favourites. Have you heard of Katie Morag by Mairi Hedderwick...great stories for kids.

Hairy Maclary are some of my favourite preschool books too and Katie Morag is a delight. I fell in love with the Hebrides after reading Lillian Beckwith books as a teen and it was lovely to find children's books about this area.

My name is Diane, what's yours?

Hello Diane, my name is Divya :)

Your signature always makes me smile - it is as sweet as it is simple.

I've been looking out for Hairy McLairy ever since poppy mentioned it.

But haven't found it yet! Hopefully I will soon.

I haven't heard of Katie Morag but will look out for this as well.

• 2 months later...

I've neglected this thread too long - and in the meanwhile have read so many interesting books.

Have also acquired some amazing picture books for Aly.

I hope to update this thread with all of them over the next few days.

32929.jpg

Goodnight Moon

Words: Margaret Wise Brown

Pictures : Clement Hurd

First published:1947

About:

This classic bed-time story is about a little bunny-rabbit saying goodnight to everything he can see in his room, as he lies in his bed, ready to turn in for the night.

In alternating, colour and black-and-white pages, a slow darkness steals over the pages, and the time on the clock in each picture gradually moves from 7 to 8 and finally all is still, and dark, and the little bunny is asleep.

Thoughts:

It's a magical, almost hypnotic, book - and no wonder much-loved by generations of children in so many countries. It's Alya's last read before she turns off the lights and finally allows herself to go to bed. It's my favourite bed-time read too - for her, I mean :) - and there are so many little details to observe and absorb.

I introduced this to Alya when she was around 15 months - she's almost two years now - and it is still a firm favourite.

Inside the book:

3526463891_2d5b094f6d.jpg?v=0

3527274420_04d41995d9.jpg?v=0

201126.jpg

We're Going on a Bear Hunt

Words: Micheal Rosen

Pictures : Helen Oxenbury

First published:1989

About:

A father, with his four children, set out on bear-hunt - going through "long wavy grass", a "deep cold river", "thick oozy mud", a "big dark forest", a "swirling-whirling snow-storm", and a "narrow gloomy cave". And they finally meet the bear - and find-out perhaps it's not quite what they wanted to do!

Thoughts:

It such a fun book. Lots of drama, rhyme, song, sounds, and actions, that you can't just sit and read this book. However after "performing" the book more than three times a day, I'm quite happy, to hide it, and give Alya a quieter one.

The pictures by Helen Oxenbury, are wonderfully created and make this a master-piece.

From inside:

WGOBH+crossing+the+river.jpg

WGOBH+resting.jpg

I also found this YouTube video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-nTnriTP8

The-Little-Mouse-the-Red-Ripe-Strawberry-and-the-Big-Hungry-Bear-9780859536592.jpg

The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear

Words: Don and Audrey Wood

Pictures : Don Wood

First published:1996

About:

A "little mouse" discovers a luscious "red ripe strawberry" and is ready to pick it for himself, when the narrator has a conversation with him, about the "big hungry bear" who loves strawberries and can smell them "a mile away". The dear mouse then does all he can to safeguard his treasure, but the narrator continues to show the flaws in his plans. There's really only one way in whole wide world to really save it from the bear - the book invites you join the mouse and help him solve his large problem.

Thoughts:

Delicious. Luscious. Gorgeous. The large pages. The over-sized straw-berry. The sparse words. And the gentle humour.

Toddlers will love the darling mouse and his expressive face and the giant strawberry. The adults will love narrating it and manage to get chuckle out of it too.

From inside:

22072b.jpg

mouse_1.jpg

Hi Divya always nice to see what you and Aly are reading. We're going on a bear hunt was always a favourite book of my kids too, especially if I did it with all the sound effects.

Thank you James. You are kind.

I found a video on YouTube which has Rosen narrating it, I'm afraid my narration isn't a patch on his! :D

ntafuri-340-Seenmyduckling.jpg

Have You Seen My Duckling?

Words & Pictures: Nancy Tafuri

First published:1991

Awards:

1985 Caldecott Honor, ALA Notable Children's Book

About:

A book with few words. And beautiful illustrations.

Early one morning, a little duckling leaves behind his seven siblings and follows a butterfly, all my himself. The rest of the book is about Mother Duck (with the seven ducklings) going around the pond, looking for him, asking the other pond inhabitants - "Have You Seen My Duckling?".

Thoughts:

One of Alya's early books, she's delighted to find and point out the lost duckling on each page - hiding behind a tree, a rock, or tufts of grass. She's also learnt to say "fish", "beaver", "turtle" because of this book.

This book introduced me to the Caldecott Medal - and I've been trying to find more of them.

From inside:

ntafuri-340-Greb_ducks-filtered.jpg

Duckling%2012.jpg

Edited by bree

How great to see all the books you've been reading with your little one Bree, I used to love reading picture books with my children, sadly they're all past that stage now :( Have you discovered any Julia Donaldson books yet? My son used to love The Gruffalo and Stick Man, I've kept them for grandchildren! :)

How great to see all the books you've been reading with your little one Bree, I used to love reading picture books with my children, sadly they're all past that stage now :( Have you discovered any Julia Donaldson books yet? My son used to love The Gruffalo and Stick Man, I've kept them for grandchildren! :)

I was just thinking today, about what I'd do with the picture books, when she grows older, chaliepud - I feel a bit weepy just thinking of it.

No Gruffalo yet, or Stick Man, it is very tricky finding good picture books here - and importing them is too expensive an option.

But will look out for them - thank you for the recommendations. :)

Edited by bree

I have a large box in the attic that I keep adding to, there's been a few books I've loved that they haven't cared for, so I've kept them too in the hope my grandchildren will like them more - of course my eldest is only 13 so I've a fair few years to wait - hopefully!! :o

Edited by chaliepud

Lovely books Bree. We are particular fans of 'We're Going On a Bear Hunt,' and have a well thumbed/loved copy of Micheal Rosen and Helen Oxenbury's version (Just showed B the videos ...she loved them. We get a lot more frantic and out of breath on the homeward journey though :D)

Edited by poppy

So do I poppy :) (Get out of breath, I mean!)

The videos are good, aren't they?

I put them on when I need to finish the cooking, and she jumps around splashing-and-sploshing and squelching-and-squerching, watching them.

I have a large box in the attic that I keep adding to, there's been a few books I've loved that they haven't cared for, so I've kept them too in the hope my grandchildren will like them more - of course my eldest is only 13 so I've a fair few years to wait - hopefully!! :o

Given our nomadic life, I think all our possessions would fit in a large box :giggle:

I'll probably end up giving away the books to the next children in the family.

008424.jpg

I Am Eyes ~ Ni Macho

Words : Leila Ward

Pictures : Nonny Hogrogian

First published:1987

About:

A young Kenyan girl wakes up and looks around the world - in wonder, joy and belonging.

Illustrated beautifully by two-time Caldecott-medallist, Nonny Hogrogian, the pictures are as poetic as the sparse, lyrical words.

Thoughts:

This book has a special place in my heart. I can't read it without my voice dropping to a hush, and my hands gently caressing each page before turning it.

I'm not sure what it is about the book, but it makes me want to breathe slowly and take my time with it.

The vast, open spaces of a world, which has, the sun and the moon, the flowers and the fruits, the birds and the beasts, and yes, this child, thriving and belonging, is brought to life, beautifully.

Alya likes it too - not as much as I do, though :)

From inside:

1pgphk.jpg