bree's book log : 2012

bree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wonderful review, I simply must add this to my wishlist! :smile2: This must be the same Jean Webster that wrote Just Patty, I book I loved as a teenager. I love YA novels set in schools, especially boarding schools (maybe because we don't have those over here so to me they are so exotic!). I expect I shall like this very much. Thanks for the review!

I haven't read any of her other books - but will look out for Just Patty!

And I know what you mean about your love for boarding schools - I'm the same. :)

Daddy Long Legs sounds fantastic, bree - I love the film version with Fred Astaire and Leslie Caron. :smile2:

Just had a look on Amazon, and the Kindle version is free, so have added to my wishlist for future reading :)

I love that movie too! The book is so much more, though. I'm quite sure you'll love it!

3228thebesthenry.jpg

17. The Best of O'Henry

Collection of short-stories by O'Henry

Synopsis:

A compilation of 37 of O'Henry's (William Sydney Porter) best short-stories.

It has ~

1. A Bird of Bagdad
  2. A Little Local Color
  3. A Newspaper Story
  4. A Technical Error
  5. After Twenty Years
  6. An Unfinished Story
  7. Bestseller
  8. Blind Man's Holiday
  9. Calloway's Code
  10. Cupid A La Carte
  11. Girl
  12. Memoirs Of A Yellow Dog
  13. Nemesis And The Candyman
  14. No Story
  15. Psyche And The Pskyscraper
  16. Schools And Schools
  17. The Adventures Of Shamrock Jolnes
  18. The Cop And The Anthem
  19. The Detective Detector
  20. The Diamond Of Kali
  21. The Duel
  22. The Furnished Room
  23. The Gift Of The Magi
  24. The Handbook Of Hymen
  25. The Hypothesis Of failure
  26. The Last Leaf
  27. The Marry Month Of May
  28. The Poet And The Peasant
  29. The Moment Of Victory
  30. The Princess And The Puma
  31. The Skylight Room
  32. The Sleuths
  33. The Snow Man
  34. The Sparrows In Madison Square
  35. The Whirligig Of Life
  36. Tictocq: The Great French Detective, In Austin
  37. To Him Who Waits

Thoughts:

O'Henry is my favourite short-story teller. His clever language, witty plots, and splendid twists-in-the-tale come alive in this collection.

The Last Leaf and The Gift Of The Magi are the two I love best. Sublime and just perfect. Both of them.

I also enjoyed The Cop And The Anthem, The Furnished Room, The Marry Month Of May, and Girl.

(And I didn't "get" The Diamond Of Kali at all )

All-in-all a pretty good collection of his works - though on hind-sight I shouldn't have read the stories back-to-back, just picked a single one at a time - I think it would help me appreciate some of the other ones better.

Edited by bree

490853.jpg

18. A Tale of Two Cities

Charles Dickens

★★★★★

Synopsis:

A sweeping story set in the period of the French revolution, it traces the lives and destinies of a group of people, through the cities of London and Paris. Themes of tyranny, suffering, revenge, justice, duty, loyalty, love, sacrifice and redemption, come alive in this book, and always with the shadow of the ruthless guillotine hanging heavy on it. Dickens himself considered it to be his best work.

Thoughts:

I picked this up with a lot of hesitation, and quite a bit of fear. (It had been sitting on my book-shelf for six years, and stoically looking at me, every time I passed it over to pick another.)

I started it, and the first twenty pages took me two days to get through. I was ready to give up when frankie's words gave me a boost.

And wow!

The story slowly unravelled, built beautifully, and I met some of the most intense characters (Carton and Madame Defarge), lived through some unforgettable scenes (the wine-on-the-street scene, the wild savage dance towards the end) and reached a most poignant yet exalted closure at the end.

This was my first unabridged Dickens' and I've surprised myself by finding it so compelling. I will be reading more of his work very soon. And I hope to read this one again when I find it fading from my mind.

And till then, I find myself pondering on Madame Defarge's mind, on Carton's raw emotions and what his past might have been, on the golden Lucie and her rather privileged and secluded world - till she was thrown right into the middle to everything and then implored for compassion...

Quotes:

A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.

The men were terrible, in the bloody-minded anger with which they looked from windows, caught up what arms they had, and came pouring down into the streets; but, the women were a sight to chill the boldest. From such household occupations as their bare poverty yielded, from their children, from their aged and their sick crouching on the bare ground famished and naked, they ran out with streaming hair, urging one another, and themselves, to madness with the wildest cries and actions.

Liberty, equality, fraternity, or death; — the last, much the easiest to bestow, O Guillotine!

No fight could have been half so terrible as this dance. It was so emphatically a fallen sport—a something, once innocent, delivered over to all devilry—a healthy pastime changed into a means of angering the blood, bewildering the senses, and steeling the heart. Such grace as was visible in it, made it the uglier, showing how warped and perverted all things good by nature were become.

"Tell the Wind and the Fire where to stop; not me!"

The two stand in the fast-thinning throng of victims, but they speak as if they were alone. Eye to eye, voice to voice, hand to hand, heart to heart, these two children of the Universal Mother, else so wide apart and differing, have come together on the dark highway, to repair home together, and to rest in her bosom.

The heart-breaking-ly beautiful

"I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul. In my degradation I have not been so degraded but that the sight of you with your father, and of this home made such a home by you, has stirred old shadows that I thought had died out of me. Since I knew you, I have been troubled by a remorse that I thought would never reproach me again, and have heard whispers from old voices impelling me upward, that I thought were silent for ever. I have had unformed ideas of striving afresh, beginning anew, shaking off sloth and sensuality, and fighting out the abandoned fight. A dream, all a dream, that ends in nothing, and leaves the sleeper where he lay down, but I wish you to know that you inspired it."

"For you, and for any dear to you, I would do anything. If my career were of that better kind that there was any opportunity or capacity of sacrifice in it, I would embrace any sacrifice for you and for those dear to you. Try to hold me in your mind, at some quiet times, as ardent and sincere in this one thing. The time will come, the time will not be long in coming, when new ties will be formed about you—ties that will bind you yet more tenderly and strongly to the home you so adorn—the dearest ties that will ever grace and gladden you. O Miss Manette, when the little picture of a happy father’s face looks up in yours, when you see your own bright beauty springing up anew at your feet, think now and then that there is a man who would give his life, to keep a life you love beside you!"

The last line, which I love more than the famous first line-

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.

And my absolute favourite:

But, I am sure that he is capable of good things, gentle things, even magnanimous things.

Edited by bree

A wonderful review, bree! :flowers2: And thank you for all the quotes, especially the long one in the spoiler. Is it not one of the most touching things you've ever read in your life?

I cried buckets when I read the ending, I admired Carton so incredibly much for what he did for Lucie, and yet I was selfishly crying out 'misjustice!!' at the same time and I was hoping someone would find out Carton was not the right man to be executed, so he would be saved. Carton is a true hero.

And I believe you know now exactly why he is one of my most favorite characters ever :wub:

frankie,

...and I was hoping someone would find out Carton was not the right man to be executed, so he would be saved. Carton is a true hero.

I thought about that too, and I realised that they'd kill him anyway for daring to double-cross them and getting Darnay to escape...so he'd die anyway, but maybe not as peacefully, for he'd fear for the lives of Lucie and Darnay and think his sacrifice was in vain...

I thought about that too, and I realised that they'd kill him anyway for daring to double-cross them and getting Darnay to escape...so he'd die anyway, but maybe not as peacefully, for he'd fear for the lives of Lucie and Darnay and think his sacrifice was in vain...

Oh wow, my thought process never went that far :o You are absolutely right. It's definitely better the way it was. I'll have to remember that in the future when I re-read the novel. Thanks! :friends3:

And you know what,

they might have even tortured him for knowledge on Darnay's whereabouts and then they might've gone and hunted Darney down anyways. It might've ended in so many deaths.

1413334.jpg

19. What Katy Did

Susan Coolidge

Published: 1872

Synopsis:

12-year old Katy Carr is the oldest of the six motherless Carr siblings. She is spunky, confident, and spirited. She's full of lofty dreams on becoming "beautiful and beloved, and amiable as an angel" when she grows up. An accident renders her invalid - and she's suddenly in bed seeing her future crash down around her. What will Katy now do? That is the question the book aims to explore in this 19th-century coming-of-age story.

Thoughts:

This book had many things going for it. The six children, each with a defined, and endearing, personality. Adventures and picnics. Life lessons. Some mischief and mayhem. A few fun rhymes. It was pleasant read.

However, it didn't capture me or entertain me, as I'd expect as children's book to. I also thought the humour was a bit forced and the morals a bit too much.

Quotes:

"There is a saving grace in truth which helps truth-tellers through the worst of their troubles..."

"I think we are scarcely ever so grateful to people as when they help us to get back our own esteem."

"I know the tree those vases grow upon, and you shall have another"

"For you know we never do people good by lecturing; only by living their lives with them, and helping a little here and a little there, to make the better."

Dedication:

This book has one of the dearest dedications I've read:

TO FIVE.

SIX of us once, my darlings, played together

Beneath green boughs, which faded long ago,

Made merry in the golden summer weather,

Pelted each other with new-fallen snow.

Did the sun always shine? I can't remember

A single cloud that dimmed the happy blue,–

A single lightning-bolt or peal of thunder,

To daunt our bright unfearing lives: can you?

We quarrelled often, but made peace as quickly,

Shed many tears, but laughed the while they fell,

Had our small woes, our childish bumps and bruises,

But Mother always "kissed and made them well."

Is it long since? – It seems a moment only;

Yet here we are in bonnets and tail-coats,

Grave men of business, members of committees,

Our play-time ended: even Baby votes!

And star-eyed children, in whose innocent faces

Kindles the gladness which was once our own,

Crowd round our knees, with sweet and coaxing voices,

Asking for stories of that old-time home.

"Were you once little too?" they say, astonished;

"Did you too play? How funny! tell us how."

Almost we start, forgetful for a moment;

Almost we answer, "We are little now! "

Dear friend and lover, whom To-day we christen,

Forgive such brief bewilderment, – thy true

And kindly hand we hold; we own thee fairest.

But ah! our yesterday was precious too.

So, darlings, take this little childish story,

In which some gleams of the old sunshine play,

And, as with careless hands you turn the pages,

Look back and smile, as here I smile to-day.

Edited by bree

Nice review, Bree. I could have sworn I had this on my TBR pile, but apparently I don't. Well, I'd still like to read it one day. I think the positive points you made outweigh the bad for me. :)

Ah, I was wondering about the date after reading the bits you quoted, but I didn't want to ask in case you had to look it up (which I could have done myself anyway). Thanks for answering my unasked question! :D

I loved What Katy Did when I was younger, I read it over and over!

Me too, and What Katy Did Next! :)

How lovely! I'm curious about which bits you loved, and did you ever feel the messages of Pain and Patience were a bit too heavy?

I liked it immensely reading it now, at thirty, and thought the lessons were something to learn from now, but I wasn't sure how I'd react to them, if I'd read the book as a child.

Also chaliepud, did you enjoy the sequels as much? : What Katy Did Next and What Katy Did At School - I've been wondering if I should pick them up too...

2544977.jpg

20. Sounder

William H Armstrong

Published: 1969

Awards: 1970 Newbery Medal winner

Synopsis:

The story is about an African-American boy, the oldest of four children, of a sharecropper family. Sounder is their coon dog, a mongrel, which followed his father home when he was a pup, and who's a definite member of the family.

One morning the sheriff arrests the father and chains him and drags him off to prison, while Sounder is shot for trying to protect his master. Sounder's body is not found, and the mother tells the boy that the dog has gone away to die alone.

This starkly-written novel is about the boy's journey in coming to terms with losing his father and his dog, and yet not giving up his quest and wait for them.

Thoughts:

It's a litle book - just around a hundred pages, but oh, how beautifully written. The trials of the little Black family, the relationships of man and animal, the silences of long suffering and centuries of wisdom, the anger, the hope, and the sheer wretchedness...

It's written in a matter-of-fact manner - no names mentioned - sparse and stark - simple and sincere - and thus incredibly powerful.

This novelette is a gem - poignant and wise and oh so quiet.

Quotes:

But there was no price that could be put on Sounder's voice...It was not an ordinary bark. It filled up the night and made music as though the branches of all the tress were being pulled across silver strings."

"He didn't want to be shot down like a dog in the road. Some creatures are like people."

The boy was crying now. Not that there was any new or sudden sorrow. There just seemed to be nothing else to fill up the vast lostness of the moment.

"Sounder might come home again. But you must learn to lose, child.

The Lord teaches the old to lose. The young don't know how to learn it.

Some people is born to keep. Some is born to lose. We was born to lose, I reckon…"

The boy did not remember his age. He knew he had lived a long, long time.

'Everything don't change much', the boy thought. 'There's eatin' and sleepin' and talkin' and settin' that goes on. One day might be different from another, but there ain't much difference when they're put together'.

Bree, can I just say you have a way of finding the most marvelous quotes in books. They are usually very poignant and deep. Every review of yours makes me want to read the book (if I haven't already done so. We have an uncanny similarity in the books we love.)

We have an uncanny similarity in the books we love.

:friends0:

I felt that too when I read your 30-day challenge thread - which incidentally is the only log/list I've come across of the books you like.

As I mentioned on the other thread, if it's not too much trouble poppy, please keep a little log - you have much to share.

How lovely! I'm curious about which bits you loved, and did you ever feel the messages of Pain and Patience were a bit too heavy?

I liked it immensely reading it now, at thirty, and thought the lessons were something to learn from now, but I wasn't sure how I'd react to them, if I'd read the book as a child.

Also chaliepud, did you enjoy the sequels as much? : What Katy Did Next and What Katy Did At School - I've been wondering if I should pick them up too...

I'm sorry Bree I can't remember much about it (it was a very long time ago.. ;) ) I just remember reading it over and over and the copy I had, all the stories were in one book) was very dogeared! :smile:

I'm glad you enjoyed Mister God This is Anna. It's a wonderful little book.

ah... funny you should mention that book. I dusted my copy off the other day. I might well give Anna another read one of these days. Wonderful stuff indeed.

More friends of Anna. Lovely!

:)

I just remember reading it over and over and the copy I had, all the stories were in one book) was very dogeared! :smile:

I guess that says it all !

:)

Sounder sounds like a great read, but I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to read it. I bet it's a real tear-jerker. :o

But it all ties up in a sublime and beautiful way and leaves you quite at peace in the end. Don't miss it bobblybear, if it comes your way.