bree's book log : 2012

bree

I haven't rated or reviewed books before, and not being much of a reader, or writer, feel a bit silly thinking that I can.

My thoughts on the books are more, I think, an indication of me, at this moment in life, rather than of the books themselves.

I would, though, like to put to words my thoughts and reactions to the books I read - which is what this book log is about.

Stars and what they mean~

- didn't appeal to me at all

- passable - didn't make me want to stop reading, but then it wasn't too enjoyable either

- good

- really good

- a book for life - will re-read again for sure

(and this a half star : : for the in-betweens)

I have no lists of what I want to read. And what I want to do with this years reading is~

• try and read something everyday
  • read all the Children Classics that I've missed (lovely list here)
  • attempt at reading the grown-up classics - I've only read the ones that were done at school - and am rather scared of reading them by myself
  • read anything else that captures my interest, and registers in my head. I don't want to make a list or note down titles - if a review appeals to me, or I see a book mentioned several times, then the title usually sticks in my head and I'll buy it (if it's available where I live) - so will just go with the flow (I'm a rather simple reader and lists/shelves of unread books makes me feel pressurised. I'm happy just knowing my one next read)

And oh yes, berried between all the books, will be a few baby/toddler reads - as I love reading to my little girl (her name is Alya). And she, happily, loves pouring over them too. :)

Edited by bree

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Where's Spot?

Eric Hill

★★★★ My thoughts

2. Where's Baby's Belly Button?

Karen Katz

★★★★★ My thoughts

3. Guess How Much I Love You

Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram

★★ My thoughts

4. Winnie The Pooh : A Real Fishy Story

Walt Disney

★★★★★ My thoughts

5. Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes

Alex Publishing

My thoughts

6. The Secret Adversary

Agatha Christie

My thoughts

7. Pied Piper

Nevil Shute

My thoughts

8. James and the Giant Peach

Roald Dahl

My thoughts

9. The Magic Finger

Roald Dahl

My thoughts

10. Partners In Crime

Agatha Christie

My thoughts

11. Matilda

Roald Dahl

My thoughts

12. Mister God, This is Anna

Fynn

My thoughts

13. Charlotte's Web

E. B. White

My thoughts

14. The Secret Garden

Frances Hodgson Burnett

My thoughts

15. Journey To The Centre of the Earth

Jules Verne

My thoughts

16. Daddy-Long-Legs

Jean Webster

My thoughts

17. Best of O'Henry

Collection of short-stories by O'Henry

My thoughts

18. A Tale of Two Cities

Charles Dickens

My thoughts

19. What Katy Did

Susan Coolidge

My thoughts

20. Sounder

William H Armstrong

My thoughts

Edited by bree

wheres-spot.jpg

Where's Spot?

by Eric Hill

Synopsis:

Spot, the puppy hasn't eaten his supper and is no where to be found. His mum, Sally, goes about looking for him.

Thoughts:

This delightful lift-the-flap book is the first of the Spot books. Each page springs a surprise animal and makes my little one squeal and giggle.

I love reading this with her - and she's learnt to slowly say the names and sounds of the animals.

I only wish the flaps were of a sturdier material - as they rip off easily (or maybe I have more-rough-than-usual toddler!)

Edited by bree

where-is-babys-belly-button-a-lift-the-flap-book.jpg

Where's Baby's Belly Button?

Karen Katz

Synopsis:

Each page of this lift-the-flap board book conatins a flap concelaing a body part.

Thoughts:

Loved this book. The large size, the beautiful colourful babies, the quality of the flaps and body-part theme running through it. The different coloured babies. It's very well made.

Aly loves discovering each body part in the book, then on her, and finally me. :) Fantastic book for toddlers!

Edited by bree

AAAADOEi480AAAAAAD1fHw.jpg

Guess How Much I Love You

Sam McBratney and Anita Jeram

Synopsis:

This little book is about a conversation between a little hare and his father. The little one keeps trying to tell his father, though various measurements (stretching his hands out, jumping high...) how much he loves him. And daddy keeps managing to show he loves baby a bit more than that (as his hands are longer, he can jump higher...)

My thoughts:

I wanted to like it more than I did, but just couldn't.

The story isn't really endearing to me, and the illustrations aren't captivating.

Maybe I should re-visit this a few years later and I'll then be able to see why it's so popular. Or maybe I'm just not sentimental enough.

Alya likes it though - not as much as the others - but she likes copying the actions from each page.

Edited by bree

2wh3ywg.jpg

Winnie The Pooh : A Real Fishy Story

Walt Disney

Synopsis:

Pooh wants to go fishing. Piglet wants to go swimming.

But Pooh has a reputation of never catching any fish. Will it be different this time?

Thoughts:

I found this in a second-hand book-store and picked it up as I do love Winnie-The-Pooh.

Alya loves this one and has me read it to her every night at bedtime. She also loves flipping through the pages on her own and jabbering and pointing to various things in the book, and finally showering it with kisses.

Definitely a hit. (And I can probably recite the story in my sleep)

Edited by bree

Hi Bree great idea. Don't think anybody has ever reviewed baby books before. Has your little one done The Hungry Caterpiller ?

Not yet. Have just ordered it along with Goodnight Moon :smile:

Lovely Bree, have you tried any of the Rod Campbell books for your little one, they were definite lift the flap favourites with my three, along with the Spot books...Dear Zoo was a particular favourite! :smile: :smile:

Ooh. So many lovely suggestions - will look them up. Thank you chaliepud

Bree, have you come across Lynley Dodd's Hairy Maclary books?

This is Hairy Maclary From Donaldson's Dairy, a bit difficult to understand the child reading it, but it will give you an idea.

Delightful illustrations and rhyme :smile:

It does look delightful Poppy - thank you for the video!

Edited by bree

51si9Wy7B7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mother Goose Rhymes

Alex Publishing

Synopsis:

This large board-book is a collection of nursery rhymes:

• Mary Has A Little Lamb
  • Pop Goes The Weasel
  • Little Miss Muffet
  • Hey-Diddle-Diddle
  • Hickory Dickory Dock
  • Humpty-Dumpty

Thoughts:

Good, colourful illustrations. Four finger-puppets to dance while you sing the rhymes. And a well-made sturdy book.

Alya loves the rhymes and can't get enough of Mary and her wee lamb. She also loves Miss Muffet's spider and goes around looking for them in our house!

Edited by bree

11932173.jpg

The Secret Adversary

Agatha Christie

Synopsis:

This is the first of the series of Christie's novels which feature the amateurs-turned-pro detective-duo of Tommy and Tuppence. And is a detour from her usual slow-paced murder mysteries, these books are full of espionage, action, and thrills.

The book begins with the young out-of-work and out-of-money duo, getting together to start a company called 'Young Adventurers' - who'll do anything for money and a bit of travel. Very soon they find them selves embroiled in a net of mystery, secret papers, government agendas, kidnappings,international spies, and an omniscient, unknown adversary : Mr. Brown.

What happens to our favourite couple? Will they manage to unmask the mysterious Mr. Brown? How far will their luck and pluck see them? And who is Jane Finn?

Thoughts:

Spies. Plots. International villains. Hidden documents. An omnipotent unknown criminal mastermind. Kidnap. Amnesia. Secret agents. Red herrings. Romance.

The Secret Adversary has it all. Maybe a too much, in fact! But somehow it all comes together and you'll end up rooting for the darling couple : Tommy and Tuppence.

Worth a read.

Edited by bree

1313359.jpg

Pied Piper

Nevil Shute

Synopsis:

John Howard, an elderly Englishman is on a quiet fishing holiday, in France, while the Second World War, unfolds around him. He attempts to get back to England, and along the way is entrusted with care of various children, in the hope that he can get them to safety. Children of various nationalities, languages, and pasts, all follow this gentle man, as he does all he can to fulfill his responsibilities.

Thoughts:

I picked up this book, as part of the March reading circle read. It is a gently-paced novel, and in its slow meanderings through France it beautifully showcases various themes. Themes of duty, childhood, war, the effect it has on people, the fear, and through it all the quiet determination of a not-so-young human who goes beyond the call of duty to ensure that innocent children are spared of a war that they didn't ask for.

I liked reading this book, and John Howard is a special man whom I'll think of fondly, and with much respect, and will someday visit again.

Edited by bree

31647.jpg

James and the Giant Peach

Roald Dahl

Synopsis:

At the age of four, happy, much-loved James Henry Trotter, loses his parents, and is sent to live with his nasty Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. Neglected, beaten and forced to live in captive, James is a very unhappy little boy. And then something happens that will change his life forever. A bit of Magic, a huge Peach, a menagerie of new friends, and a whole new world open up to him.

Thoughts:

Janet's fun Roald Dahl challenge got me wanting to read this one. I have only previously read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - and even that one as an adult.

This book was a good read, and has a streak of twisted-ness and matter-of-fact ruthlessness that I've now come to accept in Roald Dahl's writing. It leaves me strangely uneasy. (I dare say children reading it will glean over it, and just enjoy the adventures of James and his friends in the peach)

It's also an excellent write to introduce children to the world of insects and their wondrous natural features, habits and characteristics.

And the illustrations are perfect - a little spiky - a little caricature-esque - much like the words themselves.

Edited by bree

6670.jpg

The Magic Finger

Roald Dahl

Synopsis:

A young girl sees red when her neighbours shoot down ducks. And can't help but unleash her Magic Finger on them. What happens next, and do they learn their lesson, is what this little book is about.

Thoughts:

Such a tiny book. And it packs a punch. A simple story - but one which makes you think about your actions, their consequences, and what it is to be at the receiving end. A great read for children (and adults too!) about the importance of putting yourself in another's shoes. I liked this book!

Edited by bree

16325.jpg

Partners In Crime

Agatha Christie

Synopsis:

Tommy and Tuppence

-now married-

are set up as a front in a detective agency, by Mr.Carter (their old friend in secret government services). They are to look out for anyone who comes and mentions certain code-words. In the meanwhile, they manage to solve many petty, and some not-so-petty cases.

Thoughts:

This is a collection of short-stories - linked together and building to a climax. It the second of the five Tommy and Tuppence books.

In each of the stories, Tommy and Tuppence do a tongue-in-cheek imitation of detectives from old classics.

The stories themselves are rather weak - but the characters, the conversations and word play, are delightful.

This has made me curious enough to read the original detective stories (who are parodied here) and I've started a Crime Classics Challenge.

I'd like to re-visit Partners In Crime after I'm through with that, so that I can enjoy it better.

All-in-all, I don't think Christie shines with short stories - she needs more pages and chapters to flesh out her villains and red herrings.

Edited by bree

39988.jpg

Matilda

Roald Dahl

Synopsis:

Matilda, is a young girl, who has an extraordinary mind. It is capable of grasping grown-up literature, solving mind-boggling arithmetic problems, and coming up with ingenious ways to get even with her parents. Her parents aren't exactly lovely, for at best they neglect her, and at worst they put her down any which way they can.

Soon Matilda begins school and meets her lovely teacher Miss Honey and the terrifying, cruel headmistress : Miss Trunchbull.

As Matilda's genius flowers under Miss Honey's love and attention, she finds out that her sweet teacher has a sad secret past.

What does Matilda do to set things right for Miss Honey, and what eventually becomes of her, is what the rest of the story is about.

Thoughts:

Splendid book! Clever little plot. And the characters, though a bit caricature-esque (in Dahl's signature style), are completely entertaining. I sometimes wonder if Dahl's books aren't more black-humour, than children literature - because while you're chuckling at something funny - the literal fact that you're laughing over isn't funny at all.

But an enjoyable and thoroughly happy read. I can well imagine children rooting for her as she plots and plans and thwarts her parents first, and then the tyrannical Miss. Trunchbull.

Also, throughout the book are references to real life books that Matilda prodigiously devours, and this list inspired me to trigger off the

Matilda Wormwood Challenge)

And this quote - from the book - it will serve me well to remember it:

It's a funny thing about mothers and fathers. Even when their own child is the most disgusting little blister you could ever imagine, they still think that he or she is wonderful.

Some parents go further.

They become so blinded by adoration they manage to convince themselves their child has qualities of genius.

Well, there is nothing very wrong with all this. It's the way of the world.

It is only when the parents begin telling us about the brilliance of their own revolting offspring, that we start shouting, "Bring us a basin! We're going to be sick!"

Edited by bree

• 2 months later...

205077.jpg

12. Mister God, This is Anna

Fynn

Synopsis:

This book is a true-story which unfolds when the author - Fynn - encounters five-year old Anna, on the streets, one night. An almost instant beautiful bond begins between the nineteen year-old author and the homeless waif, and he takes her to his home and life. The book then describes the bewitching thoughts, discoveries, analysis, and poetry of little Anna's beautiful mind. This darling girl, all of five, and wise beyond her years, has special connection and relationship with her dear "Mister God" and his bewitching world, and she happily leads the author through a whirlwind of wonder and wisdom, and you can't help but follow along, a little bit dazed, and completely enchanted.

Thoughts:

How does one begin to describe a book like this? It completely took my breath away. My mind on a whirlwind of discovery, and my soul a little closer to seeing light. I remember vaguely hearing of this book, a long time ago, and when I read poppy'spost in her 30-day challenge, something connected, and I ended up buying it.

I spent a lot of time (more than usual) reading this. There was just so much to understand, absorb and just wonder about.

I'm not religious, nor am I an atheist - I just live by my own sense of what I consider divine, and this book illuminated many questions I've pondered on, and answered so many more that I hadn't yet thought of.

And it's not just Anna. I found myself respecting and admiring deeply the character of Fynn. He is such a beautiful being. Simple, honest, sincere, and his brightness shines through in his writing.

Such a beautiful book! And, as I told poppy, I'm just surprised it isn't spoken about more. Because at its very core it is about celebrating existence, creation and free thought.

And a word about the illustrations. They are by William Papas. And they are as delicious as the words themselves.

Quotes:

I started jotting down some of the words that thrilled me, and I realised I was quoting something from almost every other page.

A few of them~

"The difference between a person and an angel is easy. Most of an angel is in the inside and most of a person is on the outside."

"Humanity in general has an infinite number of points of view, whereas Mister God has an infinite number of viewing points."

“In the dark you have to describe yourself. In the daylight other people describe you.”

and-

When I Shall Die

by

Anna

---------------------

When I shall die,

I shall do it myself.

Nobody shall do it for me.

When I am redy,

I shall say,

‘Fin, stand me up,’

and I shall look

and lagh merry.

If I fall down,

I shall be dead.

205077.jpg

What a wonderful review, thanks! :smile2: I've had this on my wishlist for some time and I didn't even remember what it was about and why I had added it on the list. This week I've been going through my wishlist to do a bit of sorting out and seeing which books could be found in the library, this being one of them, and I think that's why the title stuck in my mind. And now I read your review and am freshly reminded of what the story is about, what a happy coincidence! So as poppy made it connect in your head, you have now done so in mine, and I have to read this in the near future. Thanks :smile2:

1922731.jpg

13. Charlotte's Web

E. B. White

Synopsis:

A little girl, called Fern, saves a little runty pig called Wilbur, from her father's axe. She mothers him and nurtures him till he's sent of to the neaighbour's farm.

Wilbur is now a sad, lonely pig as none of the other farm animals want to be his friend. And then he meets Charlotte. A beautiful grey spider who promises to be his friend. And she does more than that. She devises ingenious, yet simple ways to prevent Wilbur from becoming Christmas dinner. What is Charlotte's plan, and will it work?

Thoughts:

This deceptively simple tale of friendship is both wise, as it is sweet. I hadn't read it as a child, hadn't even heard of it - and having read it now, can see the appeal it has for young eyes - the farm, the animals, the sounds and smells, and that glorious, joyous swing!

I love so many things about this book. The little girl's name : Fern. Choosing a pig and a spider as unlikely heroes. The words and the language. And theme of friendship and reality.

I also thought the author dealt with the theme of death, the inevitability of Fern growing up - growing more interested in boys, and less in the farm animals, in a very gentle, wise and real way.

I love the contrast between the young, yet-to-mature and slightly-self-centered pig, and the graceful, wise, and gentle older Charlotte. The web of friendship between them is a beautiful one indeed, and you can't help but fall prey to the charm of this dear book.

Quotes:

The book opens with an ace:

"Where's Papa going with that axe?"

"An hour of freedom is worth a barrel of slops"

"Children almost always hang onto things tighter than their parents think they will."

“Well, they've got to grow up some time,” said Mr. Arable. “And a fair is a good place to start, I guess.”

and the splendid-

"By helping you, perhaps I was trying to lift my life a trifle. Heaven knows anyone's life can stand a little of that"

So as poppy made it connect in your head, you have now done so in mine, and I have to read this in the near future. Thanks :smile2:

And I hope you love it too :)

Edited by bree

8829010.jpg

14. The Secret Garden

Frances Hodgson Burnett

Synopsis:

Ten-year old Mary Lennox, plain-faced and sour-tempered, is orphaned overnight. She is sent to live with a loner of an uncle in the Yorkshire moors. She discovers a secret garden in the grounds of the large lonely house and is in intrigued by it. How the garden transforms her, and how in turn she helps revive another, forms the rest of this beautiful story.

Thoughts:

This book was a title from the Matilda Wormwood Challenge, and I've put down my thoughts there.

Quotes:

"If 'tha was a missel trush an' showed me where thy nest was, does 'tha think I'd tell anyone?Not me", he said. "Tha' art as safe as a missel trush"

"Might I", quavered Mary, "might I have a bit of earth?"

It made her think that it was curious how much nicer a person looked when he smiled.

You can lose a friend in springtime easier than any other season if you're too curious.

"Tha' knew how to build tha' nest before tha' came out o' th' egg"

"...the immense, tender, terrible, heart-breaking beauty abd solemnity of Eggs"

And-

One of the strangest things about living in the world is that it is only now and then one is quite sure one is going to live forever and ever and ever.

623395.jpg

15. Journey To The Centre of the Earth

Jules Verne

Synopsis:

​Eminent geologist Professor Lindenbrock finds an ancient coded parchment which has directions to the centre of the earth. His nephew, and assistant (also the narrator) - Axel- helps him decode it, and reluctantly accompanies him on the journey. The book goes on to describe the actual journey and their discoveries and experiences along the way.

Thoughts:

Old-school science fiction. A classic. Originally written in French in 1864.

I feel quite mean giving it two-stars.

But I just couldn't get into the book. Or the characters. Or even the journey itself.

It was rather flat and uninteresting and I only just managed to complete the book.

I had quite decided not to pick up another Jules Verne for a long time, as I just don't seem to have the mind to enjoy them, but the June's reading circle choice seems to be telling me otherwise. Maybe I'll just give it a go!

1713278.jpg

16. Daddy-Long-Legs

Jean Webster

Synopsis:

Seventeen year old, Jerusha "Judy" Abbot, is the oldest orphan at the dreary John Grier Home. The future looks even more dreary, till suddenly she's told that one of the Trustees of the home, has taken on himself to sponsor a college education for her. Nick-named as "Daddy-Long-Legs" by his fiesty, fun-loving ward, the man insists on keeping his identity a secret and only asks that Judy sends him a letter (address to Mr. John Smith) every month.

The book unfolds as a series of letters that Judy writes to her mysterious guardian in the four years of college. As she experiences the beauty of the new world, of college, of literature, of creating an identity and yes, of love, she wonders if she'll ever know the true identity of her dear "Daddy-Long-Legs".

Thoughts:

This is one of my absolute favourite books. I first met Judy when I was fifteen. I used to haunt closed-down libraries in those days, hoping to pick up books for cheap, and not knowing anything about this one, I bought it for almost nothing. The book is delightfully written, full of spirit, humour and charm. It also has the most endearing illustrations peppered through-out (which are Judy's little sketches in her letters)

I can't say enough nice things about this book - I've read it so many times over the years, and never fails to make me chuckle and warm my heart.

Quotes (snippets from the letters):

“This is the first chance I've ever had to get acquainted with Jerusha Abbot. I think I'm going to like her.

Do you think you are?"

“Thank heaven I don't inherit God from anybody! I am free to make mine up as I wish Him. He's kind and sympathetic and imaginative and forgiving and understanding - and He has a sense of humor.”

"Oh, I'm developing a beautiful character! It droops a bit under cold and frost, but it does grow fast when the sun shines."

“Dear Daddy-Long-Legs,

You never answered my question and it was very important.

ARE YOU BALD?”

“I went to bed last night utterly dejected; I thought I was never going to amount to anything, and that you had thrown away your money for nothing. But what do you think? I woke up this morning with a beautiful new plot in my head, and I've been going about all day planning my characters, just as happy as I could be. No one can ever accuse me of being a pessimist! If I had a husband and twelve children swallowed by an earthquake one day, I'd bob up smilingly the next morning and commence to look for another set. "

And here's one of those sketches I mentioned -

cimg2896g.jpg

1713278.jpg

A wonderful review, I simply must add this to my wishlist! :smile2: This must be the same Jean Webster that wrote Just Patty, I book I loved as a teenager. I love YA novels set in schools, especially boarding schools (maybe because we don't have those over here so to me they are so exotic!). I expect I shall like this very much. Thanks for the review!