Your book activity in 2012

Kell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently discovered and have read a couple of books by Eric Ambler. Wow what a writer. He wrote espionage thrillers in the late 30s. His wasn't the James Bond type of hero - more the niaive, vulnerable sort who unwittingly found himself tied up in espionage. Both Fleming and Le Carre were inspired by his writing. I picked them up easily in the library but have one or two more on order. Anyway, I'm giving him a rest today to start on Josephine Tey. I've never read her books before and so far I'm quite enjoying the experience.

Eric Ambler is great, isn't he, Sue? It's just a shame that the Penguin Classics series is so over-priced. From memory his books run out at around £8.99 or £9.99, which may be a deterrent for some readers for what are fairly slim books. But as you say, he's one of this country's most influential thrilller writers.

Funnily enough, Ruth, I went past the one at Trafalgar Square earlier today, and I noticed they've still got the apostrophe. Whether they've just not got round to it, I don't know - maybe I've stumbled across a rebel branch of refusenik grammarians, or something!

I think I read somewhere that they're phasing it out .. in other words they're not going to spend good money on sending men out to remove the apostrophe or put up a new sign but they won't be using it in the future.

............I feel like I'm having to retrain myself with the way I say the title in my mind. I have to change the inflection slightly: it's not 'The Sisters Brothers' anymore - it's 'The Sisters Brothers'. :D

:P rotfaloltic! Hafta love it. I had the same "problem" with the title.

I did love it though, enough to reread I am sure.

I'm presently reading Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell. So far so good, 75 pages in. The language is a bit much sometimes, but fits with the wise guy persona, and I appreciate the humor.

AIE: thought I'd lost the post, found it, deleted the repetition..... :D

Edited by pontalba

I think I read somewhere that they're phasing it out .. in other words they're not going to spend good money on sending men out to remove the apostrophe or put up a new sign but they won't be using it in the future.

That's the worst of all possible worlds, then - some with, some without apostrophes. Talk about sending out mixe'd message's!

:P rotfaloltic! Hafta love it. I had the same "problem" with the title.

I did love it though, enough to reread I am sure.

I think I should send the author a (jokingly) stern letter. ;) He must surely have done it on purpose!

That's the worst of all possible worlds, then - some with, some without apostrophes. Talk about sending out mixe'd message's!

Definitely the worst. If you're going to be wrong, you should at least be consistent about it!

So far this year I have read Sex on the Moon by Ben Mezrich - not bad, but not as good as his previous books. And I am nearly finished with The Book With No Name trilogy. This is probably not everyone's cup of tea, but if you are a fan of Quentin Tarantino films, then you will love this book!

Eric Ambler is great, isn't he, Sue? It's just a shame that the Penguin Classics series is so over-priced. From memory his books run out at around £8.99 or £9.99, which may be a deterrent for some readers for what are fairly slim books. But as you say, he's one of this country's most influential thrilller writers.

Oh I'm glad you like him too Mr Butter. :smile: Yes the books are expensive, but luckily there doesn't seem to be a shortage in the local libraries. I ordered "Journey into Fear" from Amazon marketplace for 2.81 (inc. delivery) so that wasn't too bad.

The jury is out on Josephine Tey. I find her writing very dated but I'm plodding away at "The Man in the Queue" for now.

I am about two thirds through an Algerian book at the moment - What the Day Owes the Night by Yasmina Khadra. I wasn't sure from the description as to whether I would like it, but actually it has turned out to be one of the best books (so far) that I have read this year. The year is though young ...

Edited by Talisman

I went to two branches of Waterstones yesterday, looking for two particular David Gemmell books, and they didn't have them in either shop :cry:

I shall take my business elsewhere, then! <<snooty look, flounces out>>

Went to a local coffee morning and on the book stall saw this book - TheTenth Chamber by Glenn Cooper - never heard of the author or the book, but the synopsis on the back just sounds like my type of book :)

I went to two branches of Waterstones yesterday, looking for two particular David Gemmell books, and they didn't have them in either shop :cry:

I shall take my business elsewhere, then! <<snooty look, flounces out>>

Never mind about the books! You left out the most important information: were the apostrophes present or not?

I read a chapter of Catch-22 yesterday and one or two essays in Coffee at Luke's.

A postie just pulled up outside my front door and literally threw a parcel onto my doormat from a couple of metres away. Grr! It's China Mieville's King Rat, which doesn't seem to have been damaged (this is why I fork out money for a PO box!)

I know a few people with PO boxes, but it's reasonably rare. It just gives me peace of mind about receiving my post in good condition. My postie used to jam my books in the small slot of my letterbox and ruined a few that way, so my BF at the time bought me a PO box for Christmas one year - one of the best and most thoughtful gifts I've ever received. :) I buy so many books online that it's worth the cost.

I went shopping this afternoon and spent my birthday voucher on Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking trilogy, which I've wanted for ages. I rarely buy full-priced brand-new books from actual shops - it feels quite decadent!

Never mind about the books! You left out the most important information: were the apostrophes present or not?

Did you just say ... hang on, I don't know if I can bring myself to type it ... ... ... "never mind about the books"??? :o There should be a board rule that says those five words can't be used together in that way :giggle2:

And no, there were no apostrophes that I noticed - and I did look :lol:

Did you just say ... hang on, I don't know if I can bring myself to type it ... ... ... "never mind about the books"??? :o There should be a board rule that says those five words can't be used together in that way :giggle2:

And no, there were no apostrophes that I noticed - and I did look :lol:

I didn't mean it, I swear! I just got excited thinking about the apostrophe!

I hope the rule wouldn't be applied retroactively. :o

I love that you checked for apostrophes. :friends3:

I love that you checked for apostrophes. :friends3:

Apostrophe Update: just went to the branch in Harrow and the sign said "Waterstone's" :doh::banghead:

At least they get it right on their website, I suppose :rolleyes:

Edit: oh, and they still didn't have the books I wanted. Amazon here I come, I suppose.

Edited by Karsa Orlong