Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Oh god that takes me back I remember my mum and dad not letting me watch it because it was too racy :smile: Richard Chamberlaine played the priest!!! I did sneak a peek at it at a friends house though

My hubby watched it as well but I've banned him from telling me anything about it :D

I loved watching The Thorn Birds, my Mum and I used to watch it together, I've never thought to pick up the book though...

I can definitely recommend it I'm only a 100 pages in & it's got me hooked :smile:

What a coinkydinky, I started reading Colleen McCullough's The Ladies of Missalonghi the day before yesterday. I continued reading it yesterday and there were a few choice of words that would've got me killed if I'd been drinking something: I would've definitely choke on the liquid! I'm really looking forward to reading The Thorn Birds now :)

I look forward to hearing what you think of them both Frankie :smile:

It's my aunt's favourite book and she has told me to read it goodness knows how many times. I do have a copy, and hope to get to it at some point in the not-too-distant future!

Your Aunt has got good taste Ruth , it's been a great antidote to the so so book I read before it :D

Thorn Birds was such a wonderful book. I read it a LONG time ago, probably the year it came out. Never saw the movie,so can't comment on it .

From all the comments it's obviously a very popular book & TV series but I'm glad I didn't know anything about the storyline when I started it as it makes it all the more enjoyable coming to it fresh :smile:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the home stretch with Pied Piper - only 100 or so pages left to read.

Someone better come and take my wallet away from me, I went into an op shop today and bought two more books!

I blame my mother for wanting to stop and look at the wool :hide::lol:

Edited by Devi

I finished A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness last night. Great book; I bawled. :(

Ooh that's a good sign .. well, it's not :friends0: but you know what I mean :D

Had to laugh about your concern over the presumed missing apostrophe in The Sisters Brothers .. I'm guessing I know what side you'd be on in the great Waterstone's (?!) debate .. they've decided to do away with it.

I'm on the home stretch with Pied Piper - only 100 or so pages left to read.

Someone better come and take my wallet away from me, I went into an op shop today and bought two more books!

I blame my mother for wanting to stop and look at the wool :hide::lol:

I forgot to mention what books I bought!

I got Demon of the Air by Simon Levak and Ratcatcher by Jmaes McGee

Edited by Devi

Ooh that's a good sign .. well, it's not :friends0: but you know what I mean :D

I read the end when I was feeling a bit down, so I kind of hated it for making me feel worse. But I still liked it.

Had to laugh about your concern over the presumed missing apostrophe in The Sisters Brothers .. I'm guessing I know what side you'd be on in the great Waterstone's (?!) debate .. they've decided to do away with it.

I, for one, would never shop at W again (oh, who am I kidding? :rolleyes:) Waterstone was a person, right? As far as I'm concerned, the shop is now named after, well, stones that are found in the water, I guess.

I'm glad my frustration over The Sisters Brothers title amused you! :P I feel like I'm having to retrain myself with the way I say the title in my mind. I have to change the inflection slightly: it's not 'The Sisters Brothers' anymore - it's 'The Sisters Brothers'. :D

I finished Witchfinder: Dawn of the Demontide by William Hussey last night. Wow what I book, I really can't wait to read more of the trilogy! I have started One Child by Torey Hayden now, think this one is going to be a shocking and emotional book.

I finished Witchfinder: Dawn of the Demontide by William Hussey last night. Wow what I book, I really can't wait to read more of the trilogy! I have started One Child by Torey Hayden now, think this one is going to be a shocking and emotional book.

I have One Child on my list too. Sounds a very moving book.

I'm glad my frustration over The Sisters Brothers title amused you! :P I feel like I'm having to retrain myself with the way I say the title in my mind. I have to change the inflection slightly: it's not 'The Sisters Brothers' anymore - it's 'The Sisters Brothers'. :D

The 'missing' apostrophe was bugging me too - I was glad to read there was a reason! But I'm exactly the same, I change inflection for sister's and sisters and now it feels wrong to say it Sisters!

I'm still trundling along with Things I want my Daughters to Know. Not getting much done recently but I had an interview yesterday about an hour away (including faffing around changing trains) so I knocked out 100 pages there and back. I'm enjoying it, but want to shake a few people.

I have One Child on my list too. Sounds a very moving book.

I'm only about three chapters in, but so far its quite shocking. Its not really gone into all that much detail yet, just a lot of introduction. I do think this one will make me cry though!

Have started reading The True History of the Kelly Gang

so far I am gripped - having a little trouble with realising what he is actually talking about some of the time and it seems to be a bit out of order on the time line but I am hoping the more I get into it the more I will settle down with the style.

The Kelly Gang is a tremendous read, but you're right - the attempt to represent the dialect of a semi-literate Irish-Australian takes a bit of getting used to. Persevere, though, because it does get easier, and I'm sure you'll find it was worth it. It's one of my favourite books of the last ten years or so.

The Kelly Gang is a tremendous read, but you're right - the attempt to represent the dialect of a semi-literate Irish-Australian takes a bit of getting used to. Persevere, though, because it does get easier, and I'm sure you'll find it was worth it. It's one of my favourite books of the last ten years or so.

I am even more keen to read it now.

I, for one, would never shop at W again (oh, who am I kidding? :rolleyes:) Waterstone was a person, right? As far as I'm concerned, the shop is now named after, well, stones that are found in the water, I guess.

I recognise myself completely in this post. I didn't know why Waterstone's (I'm still using the apostrophe!) decided to do away with the correct grammar!! I felt the same about The Sisters Brothers as well - I assumed it was about some sisters and their brothers, and immediately thought that there was an apostrophe missing!

It's supposed to be a brilliant book - I've heard so many good things about it, and am sorely tempted to get it, but I am really really really trying not to buy any too many books at the moment!

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one having trouble with the title!

Wow, great to see a few people here reading books by Aussie authors lately. :) I'm reading four books at the moment, but none by Australians; I suddenly feel very unpatriotic. :giggle2: I had a rare day off from editing today, so I spent some day rearranging my bookshelves. I've decided to get rid of some books (well, give them to my Mum), so my TBR pile is actually going to drop a bit. Woohoo! I also went to a local bookshop but didn't find enough there to interest me, so I might go further afield tomorrow. :)

I'm currently focusing on re-reading The Phantom Tollbooth. :)