Your book activity in 2012

Kell

I'm about to start The kingdom by Clive Cussler with Grant Blackwood

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recognise myself completely in this post. I didn't know why Waterstone's (I'm still using the apostrophe!) decided to do away with the correct grammar!! I felt the same about The Sisters Brothers as well - I assumed it was about some sisters and their brothers, and immediately thought that there was an apostrophe missing!

Funnily enough, Ruth, I went past the one at Trafalgar Square earlier today, and I noticed they've still got the apostrophe. Whether they've just not got round to it, I don't know - maybe I've stumbled across a rebel branch of refusenik grammarians, or something!

Finished The Hunger Trace by Edward Hogan last night. 2nd book I've read by Hogan,in which he excels at exploring relationships laced with some stunning descriptive imagery. Started The Pale Horseman by Bernard Cornwell. It's the 2nd of his historical saxon series tracing Alfred the Great's reign.

For some reason 2012 for me has awoken an Anne Rice obsession. I have reread the entire Vampire chronicles this year and have absolutely loved them. Lestat is such an interesting charachter and I just love her style of writing.

Finished The Art of Racing in the Rain (Garth Stein). I really enjoyed it, I want an Enzo!!! :-)

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, chaliepud!! It was such a great story, wasn't it?

I'm now getting into the full swing of Gone With The Wind. It took me about 3 weeks to read 20% of it, due to things going on at home, but now I'm really hooked on it. I'm so surprised at the story so far. It's nothing like I expected. And I'm now starting to warm to Scarlett. I thought she was devious little so-and-so at the beginning, but now she's quite an interesting character!

I finished The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough it was a fantastic read I couldn't put it down. I'm going to start one of my Mother's Day pressies next Replay by Ken Grimwood

What did you think of 'Room' by Emma Donoghue? I read this novel and loved it.

Even though I was hoping for a little more from the second half, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Are you liking it....?

I am loving The Book Thief!

I'm now getting into the full swing of Gone With The Wind. It took me about 3 weeks to read 20% of it, due to things going on at home, but now I'm really hooked on it. I'm so surprised at the story so far. It's nothing like I expected. And I'm now starting to warm to Scarlett. I thought she was devious little so-and-so at the beginning, but now she's quite an interesting character!

Yay! I'm so happy you're enjoying it!

I finished The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough it was a fantastic read I couldn't put it down. I'm going to start one of my Mother's Day pressies next Replay by Ken Grimwood

Happy to see you enjoyed The Thorn Birds. Its been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile now. Hoping to read it this summer.

Still reading The Book Thief. Wish I could find more time to sit and read it because I'm absolutely loving it!

Even though I was hoping for a little more from the second half, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Maybe the second half of the book isn't quite as dramatic as the first half, I still love this book.

Anyway, I finished reading 'The Lake of Dreams' by Kim Edwards last night. It was generally a good read, but a little slow. Now I'm about to start reading 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte. I'm rather ashamed with myself that I haven't read many classics lately, so I'm making up for that.

Oh I'm so glad you enjoyed this book, chaliepud!! It was such a great story, wasn't it?

I found myself veering between annoyance and grudging respect for Scarlett :) She's certainly an interesting character! Hope you enjoy the rest of the book. But if you're enjoying it so far, I think you'll like the rest of it too. Actually I feel like reading it again now :)

Kenny gave me a book for mother's day.....he had asked if I had any ideas, gave him a list of four and he chose Rescue by Anita Shreve, it was the first one he found in Waterstone's.

I'm still reading Buddha Da, not making much progress with all the other life stuff that has been going on at the mo.

Ooo I remember mum and I read that years ago after the series on the telly....great read as I remember.

I'm now getting into the full swing of Gone With The Wind.

One I have on my to buy and read list I think too....big read though!

I'm feeling a bit cheated

Have been really enjoying The True History of the Kelly Gang (but not getting very far due to not much reading time of late) and I have been telling everyone how good it is and that its notes that Ned Kelly himself wrote to his daughter but I am currently at work with not much to do other than wish I could get my kindle out and read it I decided to look at some reviews for it on Amazon only to find that Ned Kelly didn't write it at all :o its only written as if he wrote it

little bit red faced :blush2: especially as I even told a friend that had NK been better educated he could have been a brilliant novelist :banghead:

I'm feeling a bit cheated

Have been really enjoying The True History of the Kelly Gang (but not getting very far due to not much reading time of late) and I have been telling everyone how good it is and that its notes that Ned Kelly himself wrote to his daughter but I am currently at work with not much to do other than wish I could get my kindle out and read it I decided to look at some reviews for it on Amazon only to find that Ned Kelly didn't write it at all :o its only written as if he wrote it

little bit red faced :blush2: especially as I even told a friend that had NK been better educated he could have been a brilliant novelist :banghead:

Well, let's consider that a tribute to the quality of Peter Carey's writing, then :smile:

Lots of reading being done by me, but nothing is really grabbing me, I seem to be reading purely to alleviate boredom, thank god for the free and cheap books on the kindle. I need a new series to sink my teeth into, just not sure what genre. I did download one that Abby recommended on Fb as it looked good. The name of the Star hope its good.

I'm going to start one of my Mother's Day pressies next Replay by Ken Grimwood

Ooh, hope you enjoy it! I'll go and hide in the corner in case you don't :hide::giggle2:

I've got about 80 pages left of David Gemmell's Knights of Dark Renown.

Funnily enough, Ruth, I went past the one at Trafalgar Square earlier today, and I noticed they've still got the apostrophe. Whether they've just not got round to it, I don't know - maybe I've stumbled across a rebel branch of refusenik grammarians, or something!

:D this made me laugh. I can just imagine them inside, arms crossed - "NO! We will NOT remove the apostrophe!"

I recently discovered and have read a couple of books by Eric Ambler. Wow what a writer. He wrote espionage thrillers in the late 30s. His wasn't the James Bond type of hero - more the niaive, vulnerable sort who unwittingly found himself tied up in espionage. Both Fleming and Le Carre were inspired by his writing. I picked them up easily in the library but have one or two more on order. Anyway, I'm giving him a rest today to start on Josephine Tey. I've never read her books before and so far I'm quite enjoying the experience.

Edited by SueK

Having to read quite a lot of sporting stuff for work at the moment so alongside stuff on derbies in Colombia I've picked up One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest alongside.

Everyone's told me it's wonderful, so hope my expectations are not too high...