Your book activity in 2012

Kell

Finished Around the World in Eighty Days by Jules Verne... A nice easy read, quite enjoyable.

A bought a load of Cormac McCarthy books brand new for £2 each a while back and started reading my 2nd one called Blood Meridian.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read The Sign of Four by Arthur Conan Doyle...actually listened to about half of it at the gym and read the rest at home. I'm also making my way through A Storm of Swords (second part) which I'm enjoying so much!

I'm also making my way through A Storm of Swords (second part) which I'm enjoying so much!

Hold on tight! That's one of the best fantasy novels ever written, imo :smile:

I'm currently 125 pages into David Gemmell's Winter Warriors, and enjoying it immensely :smile:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I finished The Fifth Child in one sitting last night, and am about to start The Reapers by John Connolly

Edited by Devi

Hold on tight! That's one of the best fantasy novels ever written, imo :smile:

I definitely plan on finishing it, it's amazing. I'm always impressed how all the details come together in these books.

I finished reading Death Comes to Pemberley last night, and now I need something completely light and highly entertaining. Have no idea what that might be. :(

Sorry to hear of your bad experience frankie. :( How about The Secret Life of Bees next, I noticed you have it on your TBR list? I wouldn't call it a light topic matter but it is a very easy read and so lovely too.. Memoirs of A Geisha is another fabulous read that you will be so glad you have read once you finish it. :smile:

I started Dorothy - A darker side of Oz - Scot Stanford This morning so far so macabre I got this synopsis from the authors web page as its far better than anything I could write.

As Dorothy awakes in Oz there's no sunshine in Munchkin country, just a twisted race enslaved by the Eastern witch, and a crooked path of yellow bricks she has to take to the mysterious Emerald City, a place ridden with sinister secrets. To get home the orphan girl treks the magical land, sometimes beautiful though often deadly, seeking help from the great wizard of Oz.

The young girl struggles through a vast land of new sights, unfamiliar villages, and endures the dark forest, finding strange friends along her way. Cautiously trusting a peculiar scarecrow, he accompanies Dorothy through Oz, finding a tragic tin-man on their travels, and the cowardly lion; a victim to Mr Jack's infernal carnival. The animal's only hope is to be saved by Dorothy and her friends, but the ringleader and his obscure show have other plans for them.

Dorothy's enchanting journey takes her through new, peculiar and amazing countries as Oz unveils itself. The strange friends must fight to overcome the rivers of mist, the deadly poppy fields, and beyond; whilst Kalidahs, Hammerheads and other macabre creatures stand in their way... and if they reach the Emerald City, they my find more than they bargained for.

Wierd but I a good way

To get back to Kansas the young girl must survive the dangers of Oz, find the mysterious great wizard, and most of all, avoid the dead-lands of the West, where the evil witch Outika breeds her carnivorous pets, and watches the strange friends' every move.

Edited by pickle

Sorry to hear of your bad experience frankie. :( How about The Secret Life of Bees next, I noticed you have it on your TBR list? I wouldn't call it a light topic matter but it is a very easy read and so lovely too.. Memoirs of A Geisha is another fabulous read that you will be so glad you have read once you finish it. :smile:

Thanks Chalie :friends3: I guess a bad book makes one appreciate the good ones even more, so there's no real harm done :) And thanks for those ideas, but they don't tickle my fancy at the moment. And I think I should read one of my many library loans ... :blush:

No probs, just don't want you getting in a reading rut!! You've reminded me actually, I have a couple of books to collect from our village library, they're only open 3 mornings though so `I have to time it right! :smile:

No probs, just don't want you getting in a reading rut!! You've reminded me actually, I have a couple of books to collect from our village library, they're only open 3 mornings though so `I have to time it right! :smile:

Hehee, glad to be of service :D You've also given me an idea. If I don't fancy any of my library loans, I should take a look at my TBR. I have so many books that I can't remember them all and I might find something interesting to read which I wouldn't think of otherwise. :smile2:

Hehee, glad to be of service :D You've also given me an idea. If I don't fancy any of my library loans, I should take a look at my TBR. I have so many books that I can't remember them all and I might find something interesting to read which I wouldn't think of otherwise. :smile2:

That's so funny that it hadn't occurred to you to look at your TBR books!! :giggle:

That's so funny that it hadn't occurred to you to look at your TBR books!! :giggle:

I know :D But it's too much of a hassle! It feels easier to just look at my bookcases. Although that cuts back on the choices by 40% as I have books stacked in two rows per shelf :blush:

Edited by frankie

Mentioning John Banville on another thread made me take a look at the ones I have on the shelf, unread. I pulled Eclipse from said shelf, and it was like coming home. :D The beautiful prose just blows me away.

Hee hee! You need more bookcases, or you need to swap them round every 6 months!! :giggle2:

On one hand that is a great idea. The hidden gems will be exposed thus! On the other hand, though, I have a hard enough time as it is, trying to remember which book is where, since my latest rearranging of bookshelves :lol:

Haha, last night I had a dream where I got two more bookcases and I was going to spend a day rearranging my books and it was blissful! I totally blame you for the dream :lol:

Good news, I have a copy of The Last Family in England winging it's way to me via Readit Swapit!!! :smile:

Awesome! I hope it arrives soon and you enjoy it. Can't wait what you think of it! :smile2:

I picked up Marathon Man by William Goldman last night and read about 30 pages. So far so good, I'm enjoying it, although I hope that it is soon revealed to the reader aka me how all the various characters are connected.

I finished Dorothy - A darker side of Oz - Scot Stanford last night very macabre and twisted but hugely enjoyable hoping he is going to write a next one.

The lo and behold this morning I had forgotten that I bought Kelley Armstrong's The Calling the second part of her Gathering trilogy....happy days now I just want work to be over so I can get back to it.

I finally managed to read a bit of Ben Hur. I'm listening to the audiobook while I run, I honestly don't think I can finish it otherwise. Last time I tried reading it I didn't get too far, it's just not a book I enjoy. But I'm determined to get to the end this time...if only to be able to finally say I've read it and to tick it on the 1001 books to read list.

Still working my way through A Week In December. About three quarters of the way through now, and feel like the end is in sight at last.

The lo and behold this morning I had forgotten that I bought Kelley Armstrong's The Calling the second part of her Gathering trilogy....happy days now I just want work to be over so I can get back to it.

Oh, I'm so jealous! I'm not buying any books at the moment, and this is the first time in ages I haven't bought the latest Kelley Armstrong the first day, or at least week, it's come out. Determined to get that TBR down first though.

Finished Rivers of London .. great book .. I loved everything about it. Also finishing off Un Lun Dun and enjoying that also. Somehow have also got halfway through Shiver .. I like it but I feel like I am so not it's intended audience.

Yippee! I finished A Week In December last night. :yahoo:

Looking forward to something different and some good reading over the long weekend, but not sure what it will be yet.

Finished Rivers of London .. great book .. I loved everything about it. Also finishing off Un Lun Dun and enjoying that also. Somehow have also got halfway through Shiver .. I like it but I feel like I am so not it's intended audience.

Pleased to hear you loved Rivers of London! It's on my wishlist for when I start buying books again :D