Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

Book # 34: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

TheBookThief.jpg

Synopsis:

Nine-year-old Liesel lives with her foster family on Himmel Street during the dark days of the Third Reich. Her Communist parents have been transported to a concentration camp, and during the funeral for her brother, she manages to steal a macabre book: it is, in fact, a gravediggers’ instruction manual. This is the first of many books which will pass through her hands as the carnage of the Second World War begins to hungrily claim lives. Both Liesel and her fellow inhabitants of Himmel Street will find themselves changed by both words on the printed page and the horrendous events happening around them.

Thoughts:

Hmm, where to start? Is this really classed as a YA novel? On the Amazon page it says it's Zusak's first novel for adults. I can see how both would apply. Quite frankly, if this is a YA novel then it's a benchmark to which all should aspire. It puts drivel like The Hunger Games (spit) so far in the shade that anyone trying to read that book should be thankful that there won't be enough light by which to see it. But I won't start ranting about that again :lol::blush2:

In some ways this book reminded me of Guillermo del Toro's masterpiece Pan's Labyrinth. Both tales are about little girls coming to live with new parents during a war, and finding escape in books. The Book Thief doesn't quite go as far as PL in having its heroine step literally into a fantasy world, but it does have a certain magical quality amongst all the horrors of war. It's a book about ordinary people trying to get by in a world gone mad, living under a regime of fear. Whilst it's never directly about the war, it is always a shadow hanging over every page. Some of Zusak's descriptions are quite wonderful. In a book where words become so important to its leading characters he fires off sentences that really shouldn't make any sense and yet, within context, get their point across with marvellous assurance and brevity.

In a story narrated by Death himself, I found there was a wonderful sense of life. Liesel's story is one of those life-affirming ones, as you grow into the story as she grows, too, and her relationships with those around her develop in unexpected, organic ways - starting with her foster father, Hans, who sits beside her as she endures sleepless, nightmare-ridden nights and gradually teaches her to read and write. Then there's Rudy, the boy next door with the Aryan blond hair and the Jesse Owens fixation, who always seems to be on the wrong side of a beating. And Max - who I don't really want to say anything about for fear of spoilers. My favourite, though, was probably Liesel's foster mother, Rosa, who at first seems such a hard person, but as you get to know her you find there's a huge, unquestioning heart buried somewhere in there.

Then there's the books within the book. Liesel steals books, yes (and her relationship with Ilsa Hermann and her library is both sad and charming), but it is the ones that are written for her, and their presentation within the book, that surprised me. Again, they are all about words, and they are very clever and very touching.

So, in short, I loved it. I thought maybe it was a little too long - but that could just be down to other things I had going on while I was trying to read it. I'd recommend, to anyone who liked this, to also read Hans Fallada's Alone In Berlin.

9/10 (1 point deducted due to lack of swords and splatty bits) :D

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just when I'd said in my previous post that you can't count The Book Thief on your list because you haven't reviewed the book... :lol:

What a great review, you really made me want to re-read the novel! It had even more to offer than I remembered, there were some bits in your review that I'd quite forgotten about, shame on me. I'm so very happy that you loved the book. Shows you how much the members who pressured you into reading the book know about great literature ;)

In some ways this book reminded me of Guillermo del Toro's masterpiece Pan's Labyrinth.

I haven't even heard of the book but it's going straight to my wishlist, thanks!

I'd recommend, to anyone who liked this, to also read Hans Fallada's Alone In Berlin.

Adding that to wishlist as well. Okay, I suppose you've just written a review I can comment on :P

I haven't even heard of the book but it's going straight to my wishlist, thanks!

It's a film: http://www.amazon.co...36905207&sr=8-1

You wouldn't like it, it's got fantasy stuff in it :giggle2:

Okay, I suppose you've just written a review I can comment on :P

Damn, I'll have to put that right :lol:;)

:lol:

I've never read such a pathetic bunch of lame excuses in my life! Nice to know you keep an open mind, though. Oh, wait ... no you don't :doh::giggle2:

:lol: I know, I'm horrid!! Especially when I do consider myself to have an open mind. But I guess I've found a limit to that now :blush: One of these days I'm secretly going to read a book off your list and surprise myself, you and everyone! Ha! We'll see who'll be laughing then.

It's a film: http://www.amazon.co...36905207&sr=8-1

You wouldn't like it, it's got fantasy stuff in it :giggle2:

I knew it's a film, but I thought you were talking about a book the movie was based on. So there's no book then? :( I've heard it's a great one, I've been meaning to watch it. I'm easier with fantasy in movies, I'll have you know!!

Damn, I'll have to put that right :lol:;)

And how are you going to do that? ... By deleting the review post? :D

:lol: I know, I'm horrid!! Especially when I do consider myself to have an open mind. But I guess I've found a limit to that now :blush: One of these days I'm secretly going to read a book off your list and surprise myself, you and everyone! Ha! We'll see who'll be laughing then.

Me, I expect :lol:

Tell you what - I'll read a book of your choosing if you read a book of mine - but you have to go into it with an open mind ;)

I knew it's a film, but I thought you were talking about a book the movie was based on. So there's no book then? :( I've heard it's a great one, I've been meaning to watch it. I'm easier with fantasy in movies, I'll have you know!!

I think there's a novelisation of the film, but it wasn't actually based on a book. Now, why are you okay with films and not with books? Did you read a particular fantasy book that you didn't like, or are you going on preconceptions?

And how are you going to do that? ... By deleting the review post? :D

Suffering succotash, you've got me there! :doh::lol:

Me, I expect :lol:

Yes, I suppose my review on a fantasy / sci-fi book would be quite laughable. You'd be like 'she didn't get that point, nor that, what's she on about? The gal's tripping!' :D

Tell you what - I'll read a book of your choosing if you read a book of mine - but you have to go into it with an open mind

You will not believe me but I was actually thinking about this last night after all the posts on your reading blog. Two questions:

a) Your book choice will be from a genre I don't normally read and find difficult to approach. So, in order for this to be fair, I ought to choose a book from a genre you find difficult or for some other reason wouldn't choose to read yourself (I'm going to be fair and exclude Mills & Boons type books. Because 1) I'm a fair girl, and 2) I just realised that it's not something I would read either, so it would defeat the purpose, LOL!). So, what's your problem area? Or .. (this is going to be very HC banter!) is it just 'normal' books in general? :giggle:

b) If we were to do this, would you be kind and give me a great recommendation which you think would be easy for me to approach, or would you just go for the book that you find by far the best? And hmm, I'm not sure if I should make you choose an 'easy' one. That would also kind of defeat the purpose.

But I'm definitely game if you are! And of course I would go into it with an open mind, there would be no sense in doing this if I'd decide to hate it no matter what :D

I think there's a novelisation of the film, but it wasn't actually based on a book. Now, why are you okay with films and not with books? Did you read a particular fantasy book that you didn't like, or are you going on preconceptions?

I don't know why. I know I'm not a regular movie watcher. But this is a movie everybody keeps raving about and I really want to watch it. I liked Inception and some people compared these two movies. Or hm, was it some other movie. I would have to ask a friend, he would know.

And no, I've never had a bad experience with a fantasy book. Everytime I've picked up a fantasy novel (which is rather rare for me), I've liked it. I loved The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (that might not be the type of fantasy you'd think of at first). So there's really no real reason behind my avoiding the genre. I guess it's like, my friend who never watches Finnish movies. I always ask her why. She doesn't know how to explain it. And when we discuss the matter in detail, she says that she's actually liked the ones she's seen, but she just doesn't choose to watch them, she just goes for foreign movies by default.

Suffering succotash, you've got me there! :doh::lol:

Wohoo! Finally I have the upper hand :D

Or .. (this is going to be very HC banter!) is it just 'normal' books in general? :giggle:

How rude. So no preconceptions then, eh?? :rolleyes::lol:

You will not believe me but I was actually thinking about this last night after all the posts on your reading blog. Two questions:

a) Your book choice will be from a genre I don't normally read and find difficult to approach. So, in order for this to be fair, I ought to choose a book from a genre you find difficult or for some other reason wouldn't choose to read yourself (I'm going to be fair and exclude Mills & Boons type books. Because 1) I'm a fair girl, and 2) I just realised that it's not something I would read either, so it would defeat the purpose, LOL!). So, what's your problem area? Or .. (this is going to be very HC banter!) is it just 'normal' books in general? :giggle:

b) If we were to do this, would you be kind and give me a great recommendation which you think would be easy for me to approach, or would you just go for the book that you find by far the best? And hmm, I'm not sure if I should make you choose an 'easy' one. That would also kind of defeat the purpose.

But I'm definitely game if you are! And of course I would go into it with an open mind, there would be no sense in doing this if I'd decide to hate it no matter what :D

Well I wasn't thinking about it quite like that. I wasn't looking to challenge or trip you up, so I wouldn't choose hard sf or anything like that, I was just thinking of books that are well written, with great characters and a good plot, and hopefully one that you might like. The fact is, I couldn't ask you to read my favourite book(s) because - almost without fail - they are part of a series. So the challenge for me (not you!) would be to find one that stands alone and is still well written (with great characters and a good plot, and hopefully one that you might like!).

I'm open to most genres, although chick lit might be a step too far for me :lol:

Have a think about it, no rush. :smile:

Glad you liked The Book Thief

Thanks - hope you enjoy it, too! :smile:

Cool, well I love Firefly obviously, sounded like it would be good fun. Do you reckon you'll read the others?

Yes, I undoubtedly will.

You know I'm only kidding, right? :) The joke is really on me, for being such a stubborn person with certain things.

And of course I know that the point would be for you to find a book that I might like. You are after all trying to introduce me to the genre, not make me avoid it all the more eagerly :)

I'm game, let's take some time to think about possible novels. It might be a while, at the moment I don't have any idea where to even begin!

So is it really classed as a YA novel, then?

Do you know, I'm not really sure, I just googled it and apparently it was marketed as his first book for adults yet other people have said they have studied it age 13. I think it can safely be said that it crosses genres and is suitable for young adults yet will appeal to adults too. I know I will be encouraging my children to read it in the not too distant future.

I think it can safely be said that it crosses genres and is suitable for young adults yet will appeal to adults too.

Yes, spot on I reckon. Be interesting to hear what your kids make of it when the time comes :smile:

Ooh, be interesting to know what you make of that. The Forever War is one of my favourite books, but I've not yet read the sequels. :smile:

I really enjoyed it! I have not had loads of experience in Sci-Fi so far so this was certainly something different for me. I left a short review in the book activities topic.

I really enjoyed it! I have not had loads of experience in Sci-Fi so far so this was certainly something different for me. I left a short review in the book activities topic.

Cool. It's a great book, one of my faves. That's why I can't quite bring myself to read the sequels, as I've heard they're not so good.

What you need now is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Stars-Destination-S-F-Masterworks/dp/0575094192/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337165007&sr=8-1 :D

Cool. It's a great book, one of my faves. That's why I can't quite bring myself to read the sequels, as I've heard they're not so good.

What you need now is this: http://www.amazon.co...37165007&sr=8-1 :D

That's a shame, I hope they're not but I'll let you know when I get round to them.

Bester is already on my wishlist :) next Sci-Fi on my list will Vance's The Blue World.

I've got The Blue World on my radar, although I'm waiting to see how I get on with the Vances I've already got before buying any more. I'm struggling with his Tales of the Dying Earth books but I liked Emphyrio, and I'm hoping I'll like the Lyonesse books more.

I've read Bester's two novels - The Demolished Man wasn't so good, but I loved The Stars My Destination. It's a bit dated maybe but, for sheer inventiveness and Gully Foyle being a brilliant anti-hero, it's great.

What is your favourite sf out of what you've read so far Timstar?

Definitely Arthur C. Clarke, but I have only read the Odyssey series so far, I love his style of writing and scientific accuracy. I have bought the first in the Rama series as my next read of his and just ordered his complete collection of short stories, over 1100 pages :D

I am gonna make a topic about my fantasy and sci-fi reads soon. Can't wait to read more, will be a lot easier after these pesky exams.