Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! :D

So nice to see another thread on here with some sf and fantasy!

I'm sure there's a personal dig in there somewhere :D ... I have got 'some' fantasy and sci-fi in my thread but no, you've overlooked it .. you're never satisfied! :giggle2:

I'm sure there's a personal dig in there somewhere :D ...

Don't be daft :lol: Paranoid much? And I know you have tried, which is more than a lot of people do! ;)

I think it's safe to say that, on this board, there aren't that many fans of sf and fantasy, unless it's [swear mode on]Twilight or The Hunger Games[/swear mode off] :(

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yet so many people love things like LOTR and King books (which often have fantasy-sci-fi elements) and won't bother delving deeper into the genres. I think historical fiction is under-rated here as well. So many people just stick to the popular books. (I find the same with music, the stuff everyone likes is awful)

I think a lot of it's due to perception. There is a certain stigma attached to sf and fantasy. Maybe people think they'll lose their street cred if they're seen reading it, or that it'll turn them into the type of person who dresses up in a Star Trek uniform and spends all their time at conventions talking in Klingon. I'm joking, but you can see how that sort of image gets attached to the genres.

Me, I didn't have any street cred to begin with, so it's never bothered me :lol:

I really do like sci-fi and fantasy, Steve! :) I have a good selection of Arthur Clarke, Harry Harrison, John Brunner and others. I've bought quite a few from the SF Masterworks series because I figure they'll give me a good spread of authors to try (one of them is Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which I noticed you recommending recently :)). It's just a matter of finding time to read them. :(

Good on ya, Kylie :D And I haven't even read any Harry Harrison or John Brunner myself, so I'm not exactly one to talk! Any recommendations?

Interesting what you say about historical fiction, Timstar, it's another one of my favourite genres. I'm noticing a pattern here ... :lol:

Thanks Steve. I've posted in my thread requesting help to choose my next sci-fi read. I'd value your opinion. :)

I haven't actually read any John Brunner yet, but I've enjoyed Harry Harrison's Deathworld trilogy and the one Stainless Steel Rat book I've rerad. The Deathworld books were a little strange, but reasonably good, and I remember the SSR book had a bit of humour in it.

Thanks Steve. I've posted in my thread requesting help to choose my next sci-fi read. I'd value your opinion. :)

You'll have to wait till I've stopped whinging :lol:

Right, I'm back, and have given forth with opinion :lol:

I think a lot of it's due to perception. There is a certain stigma attached to sf and fantasy. Maybe people think they'll lose their street cred if they're seen reading it, or that it'll turn them into the type of person who dresses up in a Star Trek uniform and spends all their time at conventions talking in Klingon. I'm joking, but you can see how that sort of image gets attached to the genres.

Me, I didn't have any street cred to begin with, so it's never bothered me :lol:

What's wrong with dressing up? I would love to go to one of these conventions. Geeks and nerds unite I say! :bye2:

(I dress in a uniform every day and pretend I am a postman. They keep paying me so I keep doing it)

What's wrong with dressing up? I would love to go to one of these conventions. Geeks and nerds unite I say! :bye2:

Oh gawd, just when I thought it was over :lol:

Go and sit on the naughty step, VF.

Oh gawd, just when I thought it was over :lol:

Go and sit on the naughty step, VF.

I am sure these people all have fulfilling lives :D

3906715736_254b0fd91a_b.jpg

4436982217_011e3ae84c_b.jpg

Edited by vodkafan

Now, if the women had been wearing nurses uniforms ...

Well I managed to find a sort of Pokemon nurse.....don't fancy yours much Steve !

<div>3865621893_93c58bf9e9_b.jpg</div>

<div> </div>

<div>458829997_188c768d17_o.jpg</div>

Edited by vodkafan

I think you asked for the nurses yourself ;)

Yeah, that'll teach me to try and be funny :lol:

But if you'd like, we could return to the original subject, I.e. Steve's books. :giggle:

As in 'Steve's Bookshelf', not 'Steve's Top Shelf' :lol:

Yeah, that'll teach me to try and be funny :lol:

I would've thought you would've learnt long ago... :rolleyes:

:giggle:

As in 'Steve's Bookshelf', not 'Steve's Top Shelf' :lol:

Steve, Top Chef? FedEx me some culinary accomplishments, please, am hungry!

BTW, I actually have an on-topic question! Have you given any more consideration to your choice on the book? And I was thinking, do you have to rule out series? What if they are series whose first book can be read as a standalone. I mean, that one doesn't have to continue with it to get everything out of it. Just a thought, it would give you more choices.

But no hurry, I still have no clue about which book to choose for you :D But I realised I do have sci-fi and fantasy books of my own, waiting to be read. Some Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, one Wyndham book, The Time Machine (which I'm sure I've already read but that was years ago and need to re-read. And the Trudi Canavan trilogy. Hm. And a Robert Heinlein.

But no hurry, I still have no clue about which book to choose for you :D But I realised I do have sci-fi and fantasy books of my own, waiting to be read. Some Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, one Wyndham book, The Time Machine (which I'm sure I've already read but that was years ago and need to re-read. And the Trudi Canavan trilogy. Hm. And a Robert Heinlein.

Hmm about time you took the plunge Frankie. I know what book I would send you but this is Steve's challenge so I cannot interfere...I wait with interest to see what he will ask you to read.

PS sorry about the nurses Steve we went from fantasy over the border into horror there for a while :giggle2: