Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

I would've thought you would've learnt long ago... :rolleyes:

:giggle:

Oi! :lol:

Steve, Top Chef? FedEx me some culinary accomplishments, please, am hungry!

I'll send one of my curries - that'll teach you :lol:

BTW, I actually have an on-topic question! Have you given any more consideration to your choice on the book? And I was thinking, do you have to rule out series? What if they are series whose first book can be read as a standalone. I mean, that one doesn't have to continue with it to get everything out of it. Just a thought, it would give you more choices.

But no hurry, I still have no clue about which book to choose for you :D But I realised I do have sci-fi and fantasy books of my own, waiting to be read. Some Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, one Wyndham book, The Time Machine (which I'm sure I've already read but that was years ago and need to re-read. And the Trudi Canavan trilogy. Hm. And a Robert Heinlein.

You've got some pretty good books there already! Do Androids and The Time Machine are both fantastic. Which Wyndham do you have?

Actually, I have given it some thought. I'd like to offer you a choice of 4 or 5 books so you can have a look and choose the one you like the sound of the most :smile:

Now, finalising that list is another matter :lol: So far I've come up with:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (time travel, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Egyptian gods on the loose in 19th century London)

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (kind of the sf equivalent to The Canterbury Tales, but this one does have sequels)

Replay by Ken Grimwood (43 year old man dies and wakes up back in the 60s in his 18 year old body, with all his memories of the next 25 years intact)

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay (historical fantasy based on the troubadour culture of Middle Age Provence)

Roman Blood by Steven Saylor (this one is neither sf nor fantasy, it's history!)

I think I've written reviews of most of these, so I'll try and find them and post links :smile:

I get what you're saying about series, but I'd rather not do that to you unless you really want to!

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm about time you took the plunge Frankie. I know what book I would send you but this is Steve's challenge so I cannot interfere...I wait with interest to see what he will ask you to read.

Well, you and I can still have our own, separate challenge! I invite you to visit my reading log and we'll set up our own thing :D You can't just say you know which book you'd choose for me and then just leave it at that!

PS sorry about the nurses Steve we went from fantasy over the border into horror there for a while :giggle2:

One man's fantasy is another man's horror... :D

I'll send one of my curries - that'll teach you

Excellent choice! I've never had curry, I think. That probably made your jaw drop. We aren't as curry crazed as you Brits seem to be.

You've got some pretty good books there already! Do Androids and The Time Machine are both fantastic. Which Wyndham do you have?

I'm just way too lazy to get up and go to the bedroom to check out the Wyndham title. I'll just sit here and stare at your reading log til it comes to me. Not the book, but the title. To my mind, that is. It's not the Midwhich Cuckoos or what was it. It's the other, really famous one. It had a somewhat silly title. I know you know it, everyone does. Jänet liked it. Kylie has it. It's on the Rory list. ... wait... hm... Okay, I had to search it on my goodreads account. The Day of the Triffids!

Actually, I have given it some thought. I'd like to offer you a choice of 4 or 5 books so you can have a look and choose the one you like the sound of the most :smile:

Ooooh, I like it that you've given me 5 books to choose from, that's very generous of you :smile2:

Now, finalising that list is another matter :lol: So far I've come up with:

The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers (time travel, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and Egyptian gods on the loose in 19th century London)

Hyperion by Dan Simmons (kind of the sf equivalent to The Canterbury Tales, but this one does have sequels)

Replay by Ken Grimwood (43 year old man dies and wakes up back in the 60s in his 18 year old body, with all his memories of the next 25 years intact)

A Song for Arbonne by Guy Gavriel Kay (historical fantasy based on the troubadour culture of Middle Age Provence)

Roman Blood by Steven Saylor (this one is neither sf nor fantasy, it's history!)

I'm most interested in the first three novels, going by your short descriptions, but I'd rather not have Hyperion on it because ex has recommended it to me and I kind of want to keep that as a 'separate challenge'. I'll give it some more thought. Oh, and of course wait til you have finalised your list :D

I get what you're saying about series, but I'd rather not do that to you unless you really want to!

I suppose I had one particular series in mind that I would be willing to give a go, had it been on your list of choices, but I didn't want to say what it was because I didn't want to influence your thoughts and choices, they should come from you :)

I'm most interested in the first three novels, going by your short descriptions, but I'd rather not have Hyperion on it because ex has recommended it to me and I kind of want to keep that as a 'separate challenge'. I'll give it some more thought. Oh, and of course wait til you have finalised your list :D

Righto, I'll remove that one and think of another one :smile:

I suppose I had one particular series in mind that I would be willing to give a go, had it been on your list of choices, but I didn't want to say what it was because I didn't want to influence your thoughts and choices, they should come from you :)

Go on, tell me, I'll see what I think :smile:

Excellent choice! I've never had curry, I think. That probably made your jaw drop. We aren't as curry crazed as you Brits seem to be.

:o

Well, if you had one of my curries ... you'd still never have had a real curry :lol: But mine aren't bad :smile:

The Day of the Triffids!

An absolute classic :D

Righto, I'll remove that one and think of another one :smile:

Excellent. I also have to ask. Why is Roman Blood on the list? Because I thought you were going to get me into fantasy/sci-fi, and that's history. Or is it there because I said something about the gladiators and me wanting my history to happen somewhere outside the Rome? :giggle: Oh, and are you proud that I've read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and even enjoyed it?

Go on, tell me, I'll see what I think :smile:

Well okay. A Game of Thrones. I'm very curious about it and I think I'd like to read it at some point. But is this now too mainstream? Everybody's watching the show and getting into the books. Or is that a factor that should not be taken into account when choosing the books?

Well, if you had one of my curries ... you'd still never have had a real curry :lol: But mine aren't bad.

So, your curry is actually... shepherd's pie? :D

An absolute classic :D

A very pleasant reaction. I feel like my rep is getting better on this thread! *smug*

Excellent. I also have to ask. Why is Roman Blood on the list? Because I thought you were going to get me into fantasy/sci-fi, and that's history. Or is it there because I said something about the gladiators and me wanting my history to happen somewhere outside the Rome? :giggle:

It's just a terrific read, and it's another genre I like. Timstar got me thinking about it yesterday when he mentioned that he thinks historical fiction is a little overlooked on here.

But actually, you're right, the idea was to get you into fantasy and sf, so I'll strike that one off the list ... for now :lol:

Oh, and are you proud that I've read A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, and even enjoyed it?

Yes - especially as I haven't read it myself!

Well okay. A Game of Thrones. I'm very curious about it and I think I'd like to read it at some point. But is this now too mainstream? Everybody's watching the show and getting into the books. Or is that a factor that should not be taken into account when choosing the books?

It's kind of like what Tim said upthread about LoTR. Now people are reading A Game of Thrones and probably not delving into the genre any further. It's the 'in thing' because of the tv series, rather than because it's a fantastic book. And it is a fantastic book.

I'd say that if you want to read it anyway, let's leave it off the list and have some different types of fantasy on there. I mean, looking at the books I've chosen so far, none of them are what you'd probably consider traditional fantasy. Not one of them.

So, your curry is actually... shepherd's pie? :D

:lol:

No, it's definitely a curry ... but I never seem to have all the ingredients I need so I 'make do' with what I've got :lol:

I feel like my rep is getting better on this thread! *smug*

As Han Solo would say:

:lol:

It's just a terrific read, and it's another genre I like. Timstar got me thinking about it yesterday when he mentioned that he thinks historical fiction is a little overlooked on here.

I admit that I didn't actually read the posts between you and Timstar last night, I only read the goofy ones. I think I should go back and read them now. There's a historical fiction section but yes, I think it's not being dipped into nearly as much as some other sections.

Yes - especially as I haven't read it myself!

I have a darling tattered copy I could send you if you like :smile2: I don't know if it's on your TBR, though, or if you are even considering reading it.

It's kind of like what Tim said upthread about LoTR. Now people are reading A Game of Thrones and probably not delving into the genre any further. It's the 'in thing' because of the tv series, rather than because it's a fantastic book. And it is a fantastic book.

I hear you and get what you are saying, but in my defense, I read a raving review or two about it and added it on my wishlist as something to read to broaden my horizons before I knew about the TV series. And I haven't even watched the show, because I wanted to read the first book in the series first to see if I like it. And, I haven't even watched the three LotR movies, even though I've felt the peer pressure. I'd rather read the book.

I'd say that if you want to read it anyway, let's leave it off the list and have some different types of fantasy on there. I mean, looking at the books I've chosen so far, none of them are what you'd probably consider traditional fantasy. Not one of them.

Fair deal, and done!

As Han Solo would say:

:D Oh Steve. You're funny.

I have a darling tattered copy I could send you if you like :smile2: I don't know if it's on your TBR, though, or if you are even considering reading it.

That's very generous of you, Frankie, thank you. I hadn't even thought of it, tbh. Don't you want it anymore?

I hear you and get what you are saying, but in my defense, I read a raving review or two about it and added it on my wishlist as something to read to broaden my horizons before I knew about the TV series. And I haven't even watched the show, because I wanted to read the first book in the series first to see if I like it.

Cool. Well I reviewed it when I re-read it last year, see what you think: http://www.bookclubf...post__p__254757

Bear in mind that he's nowhere near finished writing the series yet so, if you did get into it, you'd probably end up as frustrated with the waiting as the rest of us.

I have a similarly battered copy of it that I can send to you, if you like :smile:

:D Oh Steve. You're funny.

I'm learning :lol:

That's very generous of you, Frankie, thank you. I hadn't even thought of it, tbh. Don't you want it anymore?

I've read it maybe three times and eventhough I really like it, I think it's time to give the book a new home :) But if you hadn't even considered it, I don't know... I mean, if you'd like it, it's yours, but you don't need to accept the offer just out of politeness :)

Cool. Well I reviewed it when I re-read it last year, see what you think: http://www.bookclubf...post__p__254757

I've read the review and I still think I'd like to read it some day. You didn't manage to turn me off with the 9/10 rating :D

Bear in mind that he's nowhere near finished writing the series yet so, if you did get into it, you'd probably end up as frustrated with the waiting as the rest of us.

How many is he planning on writing, then? How long do you think I ought to wait with starting the book?

I have a similarly battered copy of it that I can send to you, if you like

Aww, that's generous of you :) But I thought you liked the book(s) and wanted to keep them?

I've read it maybe three times and eventhough I really like it, I think it's time to give the book a new home :) But if you hadn't even considered it, I don't know... I mean, if you'd like it, it's yours, but you don't need to accept the offer just out of politeness :)

Fair enough, then. Probably best if it goes to someone who really wants it, I'd say, but thank you for the offer :D

I've read the review and I still think I'd like to read it some day. You didn't manage to turn me off with the 9/10 rating :D

How many is he planning on writing, then? How long do you think I ought to wait with starting the book?

Well, it was supposed to be a trilogy originally, then it expanded to seven books, so there's two more to go based on that. It took him six years to write the last book, and now there's a rumour that it may go beyond seven books, so who knows? If you want to read it, go ahead. Just be prepared to have forgotten lots by the time the last book comes out! :D

One thing I found, from re-reading AGoT, was that it didn't vastly improve. It was as good as it was on my initial read, but I wasn't spotting stuff in it that I missed first time around - unlike with Steven Erikson. I discovered so much in his books when I re-read them that it was a revelation, and I can't wait to read them again.

Aww, that's generous of you :) But I thought you liked the book(s) and wanted to keep them?

I have two paperback copies and a Kindle version :lol:

Really interested to see what you are going to pick for each other now.

Me too! :lol:

Oh blimey. I wonder if that's the start of another trilogy, then. For some reason I've got images of Thomas shooting arrows at an army of Sydney Poitier clones :lol:

Thanks for the info, Timstar :smile:

I'm still planning to read his Saxon series next, although I've got some other historical novels I want to fit in first. I've got another Rory Clements one (Prince), and I've Robert Harris's Imperium and Pompeii, and I've also got the first two of Jack Whyte's Arthurian 'Camulod Chronicles', too. Plus I want to read some more Steven Saylor and Steven Pressfield. And I've got Karen Maitland's The Owl Killers on my Kindle.

It's never-ending :D

Frankie, I've just realised - now that we've removed Hyperion from my suggestions - there's no science fiction there! :o

So I'll have a think of a couple to replace Hyperion and Roman Blood :smile:

Fair enough, then. Probably best if it goes to someone who really wants it, I'd say, but thank you for the offer.

Alright :) But if you at some point decide you would actually like to read the book, it's there! The poor book's been on my swap list for months now.

Well, it was supposed to be a trilogy originally, then it expanded to seven books, so there's two more to go based on that. It took him six years to write the last book, and now there's a rumour that it may go beyond seven books, so who knows? If you want to read it, go ahead. Just be prepared to have forgotten lots by the time the last book comes out!

It's getting all Marcel Proust and Remembrance of Things Past :D (which, coincidentally has seven volumes). So, I should go ahead and read the book when I like, but just not get super excited about it but try and wait patiently. And what did I tell you about me and patience today? Not a good combo :giggle2:

One thing I found, from re-reading AGoT, was that it didn't vastly improve. It was as good as it was on my initial read, but I wasn't spotting stuff in it that I missed first time around - unlike with Steven Erikson. I discovered so much in his books when I re-read them that it was a revelation, and I can't wait to read them again.

This is beginning to be very dangeous. I've already scribbled down all your five recommendations, and now that I've mentioned I want to read A Game of Thrones, you go out and mention this Steven Erikson who improves with every reading...

I have two paperback copies and a Kindle version :lol:

Haha, of course you do! :D

Frankie, I've just realised - now that we've removed Hyperion from my suggestions - there's no science fiction there!

So I'll have a think of a couple to replace Hyperion and Roman Blood :smile:

Uh oh! Well we can't have fantasy only, so bring on sci-fi brain and come up with titles. Hm. I wonder why you haven't chosen any Iain M. Banks. We discussed it on some other thread and you did a bit of raving. If one can do raving in a sentence or two.

Alright :) But if you at some point decide you would actually like to read the book, it's there! The poor book's been on my swap list for months now.

This is beginning to be very dangeous. I've already scribbled down all your five recommendations, and now that I've mentioned I want to read A Game of Thrones, you go out and mention this Steven Erikson who improves with every reading...

Given how much Poppy hated what she read of Gardens of the Moon I'm not sure I'd recommend it as an introduction to the genre. Oh, I was tempted, though :lol:

Uh oh! Well we can't have fantasy only, so bring on sci-fi brain and come up with titles. Hm. I wonder why you haven't chosen any Iain M. Banks. We discussed it on some other thread and you did a bit of raving. If one can do raving in a sentence or two.

I did think about Iain M. Banks, yeah. But he's not my favourite, much as I like his books, and Peter F. Hamilton might be a bit too hefty. Hmmm. I'm almost tempted to recommend The Day of the Triffids :lol:

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Given how much Poppy hated what she read of Gardens of the Moon I'm not sure I'd recommend it as an introduction to the genre. Oh, I was tempted, though :lol:

Uh oh :D I'm glad you were only tempted, and not convinced :D

I did think about Iain M. Banks, yeah. But he's not my favourite, much as I like his books, and Peter F. Hamilton might be a bit too hefty. Hmmm. I'm almost tempted to recommend The Day of the Triffids :lol:

But you do realise, that I will be reading The Day of the Triffids anyway, at some point, and it would serve your purpose not to choose that one now, so I would have to read more sci-fi/fantasy? I'm surprised if you did not think of that!

Uh oh :D I'm glad you were only tempted, and not convinced :D

I was naturally tempted, cos they're my favourite fantasy books of all, but it is safe to say that Gardens of the Moon is probably the weakest book in the series. Lots of reasons for that, but it's mainly because it was written a long time (10 years, I think) before the rest of the series. I still think it's an awesome book, though - I loved it from the very first page.

But you do realise, that I will be reading The Day of the Triffids anyway, at some point, and it would serve your purpose not to choose that one now, so I would have to read more sci-fi/fantasy? I'm surprised if you did not think of that!

That's why I was only tempted :lol: I have come up with two, though: Dune and Ender's Game. Hmmm. I shall dwell on those for a bit.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

That's why I was only tempted :lol: I have come up with two, though: Dune and Ender's Game. Hmmm. I shall dwell on those for a bit.

I'll end the dwelling on the other title by saying that Dune, also, is a book recommended to me by ex :) So let's not have that on the list, please :D

Edit: And I'd better tell you now that there is one more title he's recommended to me and which you shouldn't add to the list, and it's Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep.

Edit: And I'd better tell you now that there is one more title he's recommended to me and which you shouldn't add to the list, and it's Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep.

Dammit! :lol:

I'm LOLling over here :D But wasn't it thoughtful of me that for once I warned you about it beforehand, and didn't just tell you it was out of the question after you'd suggested it?

What fun luck that you should think of the same titles as ex. Ha!

What are you trying to say? :lol:

I read A Fire Upon the Deep many, many years ago and it seriously fecked with my brain :wacko::lol: I've got it sitting on my Kindle waiting to be re-read, must get around to it one day.

Ender's Game I read a long, long time ago, as well - must re-read that, too.

<<puts thinking cap back on>>

What are you trying to say? :lol:

I'm not trying to say anything, I'm just saying it's too funny a coincidence :D

I read A Fire Upon the Deep many, many years ago and it seriously fecked with my brain :wacko::lol: I've got it sitting on my Kindle waiting to be re-read, must get around to it one day.

Hm. Is it a good or a bad thing? It can't be all bad because you want to read it. But I fear I should not attempt to read it anytime soon...

Ender's Game I read a long, long time ago, as well - must re-read that, too.

Ender's Game is a familiar title, but I don't remember where from and why.

On another note: I haven't yet started to actively think which books to choose for you, but three titles have already emerged as quite possible and great contenders for the list of five. I'll have to first look at your reading logs, to see that you haven't read them. (I mean, in case you have somewhere recorded a list where you've written down the titles read. I'm not going to go through every page of your reading logs so far! :D)

I'm not trying to say anything, I'm just saying it's too funny a coincidence :D

Hm. Is it a good or a bad thing? It can't be all bad because you want to read it. But I fear I should not attempt to read it anytime soon...

Well both Dune and A Fire Upon the Deep (and Ender's Game, for that matter) are classics of the genre, so I'm not surprised. I'd imagine they'd make most sf fans' top 10s :smile:

I'll have to find some a bit more obscure :lol:

On another note: I haven't yet started to actively think which books to choose for you, but three titles have already emerged as quite possible and great contenders for the list of five. I'll have to first look at your reading logs, to see that you haven't read them. (I mean, in case you have somewhere recorded a list where you've written down the titles read. I'm not going to go through every page of your reading logs so far! :D)

I think I've only done lists for the past three years ...

2010: http://www.bookclubf...post__p__231754

2011: http://www.bookclubf...post__p__242642

2012: um, start of this thread :lol:

:smile:

Well both Dune and A Fire Upon the Deep (and Ender's Game, for that matter) are classics of the genre, so I'm not surprised. I'd imagine they'd make most sf fans' top 10s :smile:

Yes, I suppose they would :) We've actually just had a convo with ex, I needed to talk to him about The Hippopotamus I'm reading, and I mentioned our challenge to him, and he said that, going by the books you've suggested so far, you might next suggest The Algebraist (which I think you've just read :D) and/or Player of Games. The latter is a Banks book, though, so I know you're not going to go with it.

I'll have to find some a bit more obscure :lol:

Ah, thanks for the log links. I shall think you are trying to be helpful, rather than that you don't trust my search skills :D

Edit: Oh, and I'm not sure it's very good for me that you'll now go for more obscure ... *scared*