Steve's Bookshelf 2012

Karsa Orlong

One would think so, but one never knows with Karsa Orlong... :rolleyes:

Hey pass me some snacks, Sofia, dear? :alc: I got us some beverages :cool:

Awesome...I've got chocolate too....we may be waiting awhile!

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is The Book Thief about? Should I read it too? Could it fit into my genre challenge, if so as what?

To put it short, it's about a little girl in Germany, during WWII. There is so much more to it than that, but I don't want to say more, I'll just say you should definitely, definitely read it! :)

To put it short, it's about a little girl in Germany, during WWII. There is so much more to it than that, but I don't want to say more, I'll just say you should definitely, definitely read it! :)

:I-Agree: Definitely a must read for everyone, I think it falls into the YA genre but could equally be an adult read, think on the same lines as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas or To Kill A Mockingbird for difficulty level.

What is The Book Thief about? Should I read it too? Could it fit into my genre challenge, if so as what?

you haven't read it??? You must find it asap! or get karsa to swap! Either way, read it!!

I've got about 100 pages to go. My mojo has deserted me over the last couple of days (or been stolen, like Austin Powers).

Oh noes! :o Why is that? :empathy: Universe please, bring Karsa's mojo back, and please also return poppyshake and mine, too!

Oh noes! :o Why is that? :empathy:

Nothing to do with the book. I've had other stuff to sort out over the last couple of days and every time I've tried to read (which has mainly been on trains) I've been a bit distracted.

Oh noes! :o Why is that? :empathy: Universe please, bring Karsa's mojo back, and please also return poppyshake and mine, too!

This could be a storyline, all the BCF mojo's being picked off one by one.... :o :o :o

Hope you all get them back asap!

Maybe there will be a ransom? Maybe we all need to get up to date with book reviews...... :giggle2:

Nothing to do with the book. I've had other stuff to sort out over the last couple of days and every time I've tried to read (which has mainly been on trains) I've been a bit distracted.

Ah, okay. Well, carry on then! :giggle:

This could be a storyline, all the BCF mojo's being picked off one by one.... :o :o :o

What a great idea. When you said that, I immediately thought of John Howard from Pied Piper by Nevil Shute, picking up our mojos one by one and delivering them safely home :D

Maybe there will be a ransom? Maybe we all need to get up to date with book reviews...... :giggle2:

Hm, I'm not sure if I'm reading to much into this, but because I've been writing reviews like maniac this morning and because one of the reviews included a story about a kidnap and ransom, I'm thinking you might have actually read the review and are referring to it :D

I have all your mojos. Your energies have been diverted to me. I have almost finished my sixth book so far this month and we are only 12 days in. MWAhahahaha

Sir, yes SIR! :P

Okay soldier boy, at ease! It's officially weekend now!

I have all your mojos. Your energies have been diverted to me. I have almost finished my sixth book so far this month and we are only 12 days in. MWAhahahaha

You evil mojo messing monster :D Give 'em back!!

Sent you email btw, if you haven't noticed already!

I got The Book Thief the other from Amazon, you enjoying it so far Steve?

I really enjoyed the Grail series as well, some great historical fiction. The Warlord Chronicles is still in my TBR pile and I'm only half way through his Sharpe novels, have you read any of those? think you would like them!

Winter Warriors looks really good. I would buy from the front cover alone, can the Drenai series be read in any order?

Sent you email btw, if you haven't noticed already!

High time you replied to PMs, missy! :P

Winter Warriors looks really good. I would buy from the front cover alone, can the Drenai series be read in any order?

Pretty much, yeah. Winter Warriors can be read on its own, and it's probably a good one with which to dip your toe into Gemmell's writing. You might want to consider Legend, as well, as it was his first book and a real classic of the genre. It's just been re-issued with a rather snazzy new cover, too.

I haven't read any of Cornwell's Sharpe books yet, no - but I will get to them sooner or later. Going to read his Saxon books next, I think, as I've already got The Last Kingdom.

I've just finished The Book Thief, so I'll review it soon.

Btw, the cover of Winter Warriors shown up-thread and on Amazon is not the one you're likely to get now. This is the new one:

WInterwarriorsnew.jpg

High time you replied to PMs, missy! :P

:blush::D I know, I know! I've been swamped with unreplied PMs, emails, unwritten reviews, and I've had like 20 reading blogs with new posts to read and go through and comment on! And I've been so good these last few days, getting updated on stuff. You'll get yours tomorrow, at the latest ;):giggle:

Edit: Okay, I'll take a wee break from review writing and will now reply. But hey Steve? When are you going to write a review on a book that I can actually comment on??! You've been reading sci-fi only for months on end! :P

Pretty much, yeah. Winter Warriors can be read on its own, and it's probably a good one with which to dip your toe into Gemmell's writing. You might want to consider Legend, as well, as it was his first book and a real classic of the genre. It's just been re-issued with a rather snazzy new cover, too.

Yeah I remember looking up that before and being interested. Far too many books I wanna read, Bought the Forever War trilogy the other day as well. Aiming to expand my Sci-fi and fantasy collection. Will be getting Gemmell and/or Erikson soon.

I haven't read any of Cornwell's Sharpe books yet, no - but I will get to them sooner or later. Going to read his Saxon books next, I think, as I've already got The Last Kingdom.

That's his one series I haven't got any of yet, it is supposed to very good but not sure how many books he is planning to do. Still have the 4 Starbuck novels, 3 Warlord, and 12 Sharpe books in my TBR pile for Cornwell.

But hey Steve? When are you going to write a review on a book that I can actually comment on??! You've been reading sci-fi only for months on end! :P

Shows how much you know - I've hardly read any sf recently (none since March in fact!) :lol:

Bought the Forever War trilogy the other day as well.

Ooh, be interesting to know what you make of that. The Forever War is one of my favourite books, but I've not yet read the sequels. :smile:

Ooh, be interesting to know what you make of that. The Forever War is one of my favourite books, but I've not yet read the sequels. :smile:

I'll let you know soon! Have you ever read any Chris Wooding? He has done a couple of fantasy series, The Braided Path and Ketty Jay, that are supposed to very good. I added them to my wish list. They look like your sort of thing.

Shows how much you know - I've hardly read any sf recently (none since March in fact!) :lol:

What, are you serious? Because they all look like and sound like sci-fis. Maybe I need to take a closer look.

This was a very humbling, bad experience for frankie.

Edit: Oh and just to be clear, by sci-fi I mean sci-fi + fantasy that looks too difficult a read for frankie and will make frankie brain hurt.

Edit: Oh and just to be clear, by sci-fi I mean sci-fi + fantasy that looks too difficult a read for frankie and will make frankie brain hurt.

Oh don't be silly :lol:

Let's examine this. My last science fiction book was Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns. Since then I've read:

23. Vagabond - historical fiction

24. Midwinter of the Spirit - supernatural mystery/thriller

25. Winter Warriors - heroic fantasy

26. Gates of Fire - historical fiction

27. Hannibal: Enemy of Rome - historical fiction

28. The Alchemist's Secret - thriller

29. Sword in the Storm - heroic fantasy

30. Death Masks - contemporary fantasy

31. Heretic - historical fiction

32. Remote Control - thriller

33. Midnight Falcon - heroic fantasy

34. The Book Thief - historical fiction (I guess, although it defies those boundaries)

So 12 books, out of which only 4 were fantasy ;)

I'll let you know soon! Have you ever read any Chris Wooding? He has done a couple of fantasy series, The Braided Path and Ketty Jay, that are supposed to very good. I added them to my wish list. They look like your sort of thing.

Yeah, I've read the first Ketty Jay book. It was pretty good - very much like Firefly, but with a plane instead of a spacecraft - but I haven't been back to read the others as yet.

Yeah, I've read the first Ketty Jay book. It was pretty good - very much like Firefly, but with a plane instead of a spacecraft - but I haven't been back to read the others as yet.

Cool, well I love Firefly obviously, sounded like it would be good fun. Do you reckon you'll read the others?

Oh don't be silly :lol:

I suppose if I tried them I might do okay, but the idea of having to put my brain on working mode is vexing!

Let's examine this.

Oh yes, let's!! I'm sure I will come up with great reasons and excuses for every single title. :giggle:

Vagabond - historical fiction

Well okay.. but who wrote it? I'm sure it was a scary sounding author.

Midwinter of the Spirit - supernatural mystery/thriller

There you go! Supernatural implies sci-fi and/or fantasy!

Winter Warriors - heroic fantasy

'Heroic' is a word that makes my brain shut down. Swords and dragons? No thank you!

Gates of Fire - historical fiction

I'm not keen on gates that have been lit up by some delinquent.

Hannibal: Enemy of Rome - historical fiction

I prefer my historical fiction somewhere else than Rome. To me it shouts bull fights, gladiators and all that sort.

The Alchemist's Secret - thriller

Reminds me too much of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho!

Sword in the Storm - heroic fantasy

See what I wrote above about swords.

Death Masks - contemporary fantasy

This sounds like a spin-off from Harry Potter.

Heretic - historical fiction

This sounds okay. I can't think of any excuses with this one...

Remote Control - thriller

This sounds okay, too...

Midnight Falcon - heroic fantasy

Maltese Falcon was bleh, how's Midnight Falcon to be any better? And see what I wrote about heroics.

The Book Thief - historical fiction

Well you haven't exactly finished this!!!

See?

:giggle2: