I got a Kindle

HoneyGirl

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Laura

I'm anxiously watching for the mailman tomorrow. Not sure if it will be here that soon,since today was MLK day,no mail,so we will see if it arrives tomorrow. I pity our poor mailman. He reminds me of PeeWee Herman ,so if I go out there charging him like a bull this week waiting for a package, he may just RUN through the yard and TOSS the package on his way through . :D

I will definitely give you a good report on it and how all the gadgets work. I may need my husband to teach me how to do some of the stuff. The Kindle I have now is really easy to use, but this one has lots more bells and whistles,so it may be a little more challenging to learn.

Can't wait to find out !

Thanks Laura

I'm anxiously watching for the mailman tomorrow. Not sure if it will be here that soon,since today was MLK day,no mail,so we will see if it arrives tomorrow. I pity our poor mailman. He reminds me of PeeWee Herman ,so if I go out there charging him like a bull this week waiting for a package, he may just RUN through the yard and TOSS the package on his way through . :D

I will definitely give you a good report on it and how all the gadgets work. I may need my husband to teach me how to do some of the stuff. The Kindle I have now is really easy to use, but this one has lots more bells and whistles,so it may be a little more challenging to learn.

Can't wait to find out !

hehe your poor postman, I've litrally opened the door to my postman and suprised him as hes been posting something that I have really been waiting. I hope your postman doesnt toss your kindle across your yard, he might break it or something hehe :P

have fun with your new gadget anyway :)

I have written a biography and self published it on Amazon for the Kindle for £3.99, and another shorter fictional story for £2.99, however, as a new author I would love to get feedback as to what price points people are really buying books for on the Kindle.

I get the feeling that most people are looking for freebies or books around the 99p mark!

I'd love to hear from Kindle book readers to see what makes them buy/download a book - is it the cover, content, price and it which order?

Regards,

David J Tye

Hi David

In regards to your Kindle books price question : In my opinion, I rarely care what the price is. If it's a book I really want to read, I'll pay whatever price they ask . I know there are many people on the Kindle message boards who say they won't pay over a certain amount fora book,but if it's a book I want, another dollar or two is no big deal to me .

I have to admit, I would much rather pay a lower price ,and I also like finding the free ones ,especially ones that have been out of print a long time, or sometimes they call them "lost works of " ..whatever . Many of the free ones I choose are really old stories that someone wrote long ago about life in their times,so it's neat to read what it was like back then .

I haven't had much luck with the new writers so far. I haven't read any that I thought were so terrific that I wanted to read another of theirs . So,for the most part, the newer ones have been duds, the older ones treasures.

Good luck in your writing. I wish you success :)

Edited by julie

I don't have a Kindle yet so which is the best one.

I know there is a colour version but apart from being relatively expensive it is also a lot heavier than the others so does this spoilt it?

The latest one for £89 seems like a good option as it is very light weight but still with a decent size screen but has anyone got one and if so how do they get on with it?

Finally, I love reading before I go to sleep so do these Kindles have a backlight or can you only read them during the day?

David J Tye

Hi David

In answer to your Kindle questions :

I have had 3- I had the Kindle 2 (white ,a keyboard at the bottom and a little larger than their newer ones which are a charcoal grey color. )

It worked really well and I liked it, but my pre-teen granddaughter wanted one really bad,so I gave mine to her .

My husband bought me the Kindle 3 (grey,keyboard on bottom) which I have owned maybe a year or so. I like it a lot, very lightweight .No backscreen lightup .The screen size is nice and the page behind the print looks like a piece of paper in a way. They are really nice ,thin,easy to carry ,and have had no problems at all with it .

I also recently got the Kindle Fire. I like it the best,because it does have the backlit screen,like a computer screen. It also has several settings for print size, and 3 settings for the background color of your reading screen.

On top of that, it has many other things .It plays videos, connects to the internet, plays music ,games, etc.

The pictures in books are VERY clear and pretty . Love the colors that show up so nicely . The sound is good .

Thickness wise,it is thicker than the Kindle, a little heavier,but still very lightweight for all the stuff it does. I REALLY like mine a lot .

So if you are purchasing a Kindle, it depends on what all you plan on using it for . If I were recommending one to someone who only wants it for reading books, I'd go with the newest generation with no keyboard . The keyboard to me is pointless, unless you want to shop for books while on it,and need to type in a search word for a book .

Hope this helps you decide .

Bear in mind that you can't get the Kindle Fire in the UK at the moment. The Kindle Keyboard is a better bet than the new £89 version, I think, but that's purely because I'd rather have the physical keyboard than a virtual on-screen one.

I don't have a Kindle yet so which is the best one.

I know there is a colour version but apart from being relatively expensive it is also a lot heavier than the others so does this spoilt it?

The latest one for £89 seems like a good option as it is very light weight but still with a decent size screen but has anyone got one and if so how do they get on with it?

Finally, I love reading before I go to sleep so do these Kindles have a backlight or can you only read them during the day?

David J Tye

I have the new £89 version of Kindle (got it for Xmas) and can vouch for how excellent it is. :)

It's not backlit (none of the Kindles are - it's e-ink technology) but if you have a clip-on book light or a bedside lamp, you'll be fine for bedtime reading too (I have both and it's fine with either one).

I have the keyboard (non 3G) version, while Coran has the non keyboard one. Although hers is lighter and smaller, the keyboard is for me essential, as I use it quite a lot for searching online, using the dictionary etc. The non keyboard version would for me be very frustrating. Coran wishes now that she had bought the same version, but by the time she got hers, the keyboard was only available with 3G, which cost just a little too much.

Once the Kindle Fire is released in the UK I may well decide to trade up, as being able to watch movies and listen to music as well as read books would be great for me when travelling. It depends of course though on the price.

Edited by Talisman

I'd largely echo Talisman's thoughts on the Kindle Keyboard - I use the keyboard a fair bit and think I would find the non-keyboard version frustrating. The smaller size is an attractive idea, but I've not found the current size any issue at all, especially as, in extremis, I can use the phone instead (not half as comfortable to read though!). I also love having the 3G - definitely worth the difference for me.

Where we differ is on the Fire - I don't regard that as trading up as I really like the e-ink technology and have no desire whatsoever to read off a backlit screen, colour or no. It might be good for the other stuff, but it won't replace either Kindle e-readers or books on the reading front, for me at least.

For me the Kindle has reignited my desire to read, since getting a kindle the number of books I have read has rocketed. It is so handy having a library to hand in a small device you can carry around with you. An added bonus is I don't have to think 'Now where did I put that book?' No more searching through shelves and cupboards just push a button and there it is.

Where we differ is on the Fire - I don't regard that as trading up as I really like the e-ink technology and have no desire whatsoever to read off a backlit screen, colour or no. It might be good for the other stuff, but it won't replace either Kindle e-readers or books on the reading front, for me at least.

This is what I think as well. I'm quite interested in the Fire but, if and when I get one, I doubt I'd use it for reading - my eyes are bad enough as it is!

Thank you Super Bookworm for your replies

I very much appreciate your help and comments on both the ebook pricing and my Kindle questions!

:smile:

Thank you Kell for your answer about the new Kindle.

Thinking about Super Bookworms comments and experience with the different Kindles and your own experience with the latest £89 one I'll opt for this one as I only need it to read books and not do anything else.

I guess the next step will be buying an iPad and dump the laptop!

:smile:

I haven't got a Kindle, but I've just bought myself a tablet. Including within it are Kindle books and Aldiko. I have been looking at the free books and have been busy downloading the following:

Have downloaded:

'Pride and Prejudice'- Jane Austen

'Treasure Island' -Robert Louis Stevernson

'Aesop's Fables'- Translated by George Fyler Townsend

'Les Miserables'- Victor Hugo

'Dracula'- Bram Stoker

'Frankenstein' -Mary Shelley

'Great Expectations'- Charles Dickens

'Romeo and Juliet'-William Shakespeare

'Sense and Sensibility'- Jane Austen

'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde'- R.L Stevenson

' The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn'-Mark Twain

' The Adventures Sherlock Holmes'- Arthur Conan Doyle

' The Count of Monte Cristo'- Alexandre Dumas

'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button'- Francis Scott Fitzgerald

'The Divine Comedy'- Dante Alighieri

'The Hound of the Baskervilles'- Arthur Conan Doyle

'The Iliad and the Odyssey'- Homer

'The Time Machine'- H.G Wells

'The War of the Worlds'- H.G Wells

'White Fang'- Jack London

I've only read 2 chapters of 'The Hound of Baskervilles' by Arthur Conan Doyle and although it's never going to replace 'real' books for me, the reading experience on a e-reader, isn't as bad as I had anticipated.

Edited by karen.d

• 3 months later...

I'm planning on getting a kindle soon and also just downloaded the kindle app for android on my phone, If I buy a book and download it on my phone using my amazon account will it be free to download again on my kindle?

It will indeed, Amazon saves all the books you've purchased or downloaded on any device, and makes it available across all the Kindle application options.

It will indeed, Amazon saves all the books you've purchased or downloaded on any device, and makes it available across all the Kindle application options.

And when you drop your phone in seawater and kill it you don't lose all the books on it! Just got my replacement phone and was worrying re the books I'd purchased that were on the old one but they quickly downloaded from archive and I can now enjoy them again!

Ok great, therefore it also makes sense that me and my partner use the same amazon account right? So whatever I pay for she wouldn't have to.

Makes perfect sense. :D

I've got a Kindle Touch for my birthday. I tried the reading of eBooks on my notebook before and built up a great account there.

I had no problems to get all the books on my Kindle now but I can't get it to synchronize the last page I read on the notebook. I've tried everything, but it still doesn't work.

It works the other way round, though.

• 1 year later...

Hi Folks

I  thought I'd drop in here to say I got a Kindle Paper White last week . I'm really enjoying it . It is shorter lengthwise because the keyboard isn't attached on the bottom like my other one. You can bring up the keyboard on the screen if you need to type something in or do a search .

It's a touch screen which is nice ,rather than my keyboard one which you have to click the edges to change the page .

It also has a few differences . In the bottom left hand corner, it will tell you 3 things as you are reading -- what location you are in the book, how many minutes left in the chapter ( it times your reading speed I guess ,then computes how long til you reach the next chapter ,then also tells you how long til you will reach the end of the book .

The right hand corner tells you the percentage of the book you have completed .

It has some of the same capabilities as the previous one -- changing the Font and size ( I think there are more choices on this one ) , a go to area to choose an exact place in the book, an area to type in and share your thoughts on the book , a thing called Xray ,which sorta breaks down the book logistics ,telling you about the locations and people mentioned in the book . Not sure how often I'd use that feature .

You can also click a place that tells you about the author  ,so that is kinda nifty too .

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I mentioned all the bells and whistles of it , but that will give you some basics if anyone is considering buying one .

The light is really neat .Not even sure how to describe it . It's not like using a book light , it doesn't only light up a part of the page. The light seems to be behind the print somehow . Towards the bottom, you can see 3 small shadowy type spaces. I'm not very technological about gadgets, so I'll just guess that maybe that is the area where the light in coming from ? But not sure -- it's not bothersome or distractive in any way .

Anyhow, just a bit of a product review on the Paperwhite if anyone is trying to decide whether to purchase one . 

Really useful Julie, thank you.  I've got a Kindle Keyboard and have been thinking of changing for a paper-white sometime soon.  This suggests to me that I should give it a go.

A silly question about the Kindle White.  Is it lit up all the time, or can you switch it on and off?   I really like reading on my Kindle and whilst I like the idea of it being lit up at times, I wouldn't want it on all the time. :)