I got a Kindle

HoneyGirl

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can adjust the contrast up or down to suit the light conditions, just like a computer screen. I don't have one (a Paperwhite that is), but have played about with them in various shops. :smile:    

Edited by Talisman

Hi Willoyd. Janet & Bobbly

As for being in the market to purchase a new one , I'd definitely go with the Paperwhite one . We can no longer get the Kindle Touch(without the light) here unless you buy a reconditioned one that a previous owner returned for a malfunction .

I think you'd be pleased with the light. To turn it on and off or adjust the strength, there's a small light bulb picture at the top that you can tap -

The light settings go from 1- 24 .I think 1 would be Off, or as low as possible, while 24 shows up bright . It says to use the 1-6 for dark rooms and the top level for bright rooms .

It's neat ,too ,because I can use it in the sunlight ,where using the Fire in the sun is pert near impossible, too much glare on the shiny screen .

I'd definitely choose the paperwhite . It's got the small size, the touch screen and the cool light doohickey ,so if you wanna read in any level of darkness, you can .  The light is the coolest thing . Hard to even describe . Kinda like a computer screen is lit up from behind, without the glare or brightness so it doesn't bother your eyes . I had a killer headache this morning ,and was still able to read on it with the light on a low setting .Usually, light bothers my eyes when my head is pounding ,but this one doesn't .

Hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, I'll answer any of them I can .   :)

Was having a debate with myself over getting the Kindle paperwhite for the past couple of days because my old one broke. :( Heading to Amazon to order now - think I've heard enough to suggest it'd be a good purchase.

Thanks, Julie.  :)  I like that you can turn the light off.

x

I generally have the light turned off (lowest setting) unless it's a bit dark in which case I turn it up a bit. It's like having a normal Kindle and a Kindle with a light in one. I'm quite pleased with it.

@ julie

Glad to hear you like your new Kindle! :)

Athena

Yep, you're right ,if you have the light turned down to the bottom level then it's about like a Kindle Touch . I like the smaller size without the keyboard and also the touch thing . Much faster to turn pages . It seems to use a lot less battery power up than the Fire does-- that thing eats up my battery power pretty often .

I love my Paperwhite Kindle and pretty much treat it like my baby.

It's actually my third Kindle  :blush2:  the first one (keyboard) I slept on under a pillow and the screen went all liney.

My second replacement I accidentally stepped on and again went liney.

I took it back to the stop (Dick Smith for those in Aus) and claimed it under the extra warranty I had because I couldn't afford to get another one out of my pocket again hehe!

When I went to get the replacement I was told they no longer made the keyboard ones anymore so I had to go with the Paperwhite - I actually got some cash back too as it was cheaper than a keyboard one would have been if they still sold them.

Paperplane

It sounds as if you've had some bad luck with your Kindles so far . I'm glad they were able to replace your last one ,and getting the PW in place of a keyboard one sounds like a good deal to me . I like the smaller ones without the keyboard best .

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...