I got a Kindle

HoneyGirl

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, poor ickle Kindle! :(:lol:

Trust me, when you're reading The Stand, 1,300 pages, where the paperback edition is the size of a small house, you'll adore it :lol:

Hah, too true. I put several thousand pagers on mine. Well Worth It!!

It'll be interesting to hear what people make of the Kindle Fire as a reading device, given that it doesn't use an e-ink screen. Personally, I spend enough time staring at LCD/LED screens, so the thought of doing that with my reading as well doesn't really appeal.

Hi Karsa

I just got the chance to see a Kindle Fire yesterday in the store .I myself have always wanted one with the back-lit screen,mainly because I think it'd be more like a computer screen and would be great to read at night when you don't want to leave the lights on .

May I just say that it was the coolest gadget I have ever seen. It is a little thicker than the Kindle, but not a lot. It has a very plain black edging ,a black shiny-type edge, and no visible buttons on it anywhere . There is one switch,a wee little push button on the bottom to turn it on . The screen does everything by touch,which would take some getting used to since I've never had a touch screen for anything .

It has the clearest,brightest colors and does so many neat things. It plays movies,and the picture is so clear ,it is amazing that something that small would have a picture that nice. Then you can play music,which is also so nice, set up in a list form of what music you have on it, touch the screen,choose the song,and Aretha Franklin is singing her heart out .

Then go to the book section,and all your books show up in a colored bookshelf so you can see all the covers. The backlight is bright .I'm wondering how it'd look outside of a store,in your home under less bright lighting . I also don't know if there might be a switch somwhere in it to change the brightness if you want .

Anyhow, my birthday is in 2 weeks and I'd LOVE to get one of these as a gift. Ordinarily, I could probably get one ,because I'm lucky that my husband usually ASKS me if I want certain items, and he has asked me if I want one of these. I have told him no at the present time, mainly because we are facing some serious medical expenses in the next few months ,with no sure answers as to how long it may drag out,what all it may involve, etc.

Id love to be able to get the "Fire",but until we get these other matters taken care of ,I need to be the voice of reason and put it on hold.

Maybe someday if I am able to get one, I can give you guys a better tour of it from an owner's prospective .

Hi Julie, very interesting post, thanks!

The backlight is bright .I'm wondering how it'd look outside of a store,in your home under less bright lighting . I also don't know if there might be a switch somwhere in it to change the brightness if you want

I'd imagine there must be. I always find it curious when people say they want the Kindle backlit, when we've spent all this time reading books without one, lol. I did notice, in the first review on the Amazon page, that the guy said he'd got both a Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire, because the Fire hurt his eyes when reading. Each to their own, though :smile:

As a tablet, from what you say, it sounds great, and I'd definitely consider getting one for other uses :smile:

Hi Guys

You are not going to believe it ,but guess what my husband just did ? He went over to the hospital this AM to get bloodwork done,and on the way home, he bought amazon gift cards, then came home, clicked on the Amazon page and bought me a KINDLE FIRE !!!

Wow, I am so excited ! I told him he shouldn't have done it right now when we have other more important things that need paid for , but he said he had some money saved up and knew I wanted one,so he bought it .

While he was gone today, I did the Live Chat thing in the amazon help section and asked them about the screen brightness and they said it is adjustable ,like on your computer version of it, You can have white, beige ,or black background behind the words when you read on it,so that will answer the question about the brightness issues.

WOW, am I lucky or what ?

Edited by julie

Will do Pontalba -

He came home from the hospital and went upstairs ,came back down and handed me a piece of paper he had printed off from an amazon order . He handed it to me and said Happy birthday 2 weeks early !

He surprised me the same way when he got me my mini-laptop or whatever you call these small laptops. I kept seeing them on tv and saying how cute they were and he came home one night,handed me a bag,and there was my new laptop !

He is pretty good about getting my things without me even asking .

I'll sure give you a shout when it arrives here. Maybe you will be able to hear me yelling from down there!

Hi Karsa

You are so funny ! I could try to hook you up ,but you might have to share . I have been really lucky I must say .Probably more than I deserve .

He's very quiet and not a big conversationalist ,but that could be because he can't get a word in edgewise most of the time. :D

Lucky you Julie, what a great guy you have :wub:

Thanks Chalie I agree .

That's a great present. He probably likes to see you happy.

VF

You are right on target with that comment. Life has been challenging lately,so I think he is doing all he can to help me .I always tell him he reminds me of one of those big ice-cracking ships that go straight through any type water without anything stopping them. Very solid and nothing seems to shake him . I'm just the opposite ,like a little "DINGY" (this word can be taken in more than ONE way for me . ) :D

Everything seems to rock my boat,but as long as I am tied to his ship, I can stay afloat.

Make sense, or do I sound a little DINGY ???? :dunno:

julie thats brilliant congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of kindle books :smile:

Thanks Pickle

I already have a Kindle .The keyboard 3, I guess they call it . I had Kindle 2 and sent it to my granddaughters in Korea because they wanted one so bad,so my husband turned right around and bought me the newer one last year . I'll have to admit, I haven't used it as much as regular books,but I am trying to get more used to it and possibly removing some of my book clutter that way.

Now I can clutter my Kindle with free books.

Edited by julie

All my kindles books have been cheapies or free too HoneyGirl. I feel the same way you do about the costs, and the fact that paper books cost to be produced, whereas once the book has been 'uploaded' it costs very little, so why the expense?

I still buy proper books as much as I used to, so despite my husband hoping that the kindle would help ease the book shelves, but that hasn't happened just yet. :giggle2:

I am still buying proper bookks as much as I used to as well, my bedroom is only small and I need a new bookcase - space is definitely going to be an issue very soon! :giggle2:

I got a Kindle for my birthday last year and although I was a little sceptical about it at first I have to admit that I love it now. I have about 120 books on it so far, most of which were either free or less than £3.00. I still buy just as many books as before and if I'm honest still prefer them, but the Kindle is great and convenient when it comes to storage etc.

Looks interesting. Where did you get it from (or did you make it)?

No, I didn't make it. It's from DaWanda, a German internet market place where everyone can sell things he made. I was really happy to find these covers because they are beautiful and much cheaper than the ones you get on amazon.de. I didn't want to pay 60 € or more for a cover...

Here is the link to the shop selling these covers: http://de.dawanda.com/shop/mosus?noc=2909047

No, I didn't make it. It's from DaWanda, a German internet market place where everyone can sell things he made. I was really happy to find these covers because they are beautiful and much cheaper than the ones you get on amazon.de. I didn't want to pay 60 € or more for a cover...

Here is the link to the shop selling these covers: http://de.dawanda.co...sus?noc=2909047

Thanks, I'll take a look. They certainly seem a nice alternative to the mass produced fake leather ones.