I got a Kindle

HoneyGirl

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My case arrived yesterday, it is hard backed for protection and Red and it has got a cool light attached, very pleased with it, I got mine for ebay for only £19.95, which I thought was good, some of them on amazon were about £50, and had no light.

I made my own out of some greeny velvety material, some padding and the backboard of the box my kindle came in. It works well, doesn't look like a kindle case, and never gets lost in the depths of any of my big bags.

I've had my Kindle for almost a year now, and love it to pieces. It currenly holds about 250 books, although I haven't spent more than around £40 on them.

Chrissy, your cover sounds so pretty! :)

I had a purple cover which had a wee light with it :)

I have a green hemp case which I got from Amazon for about £20. I liked the idea of hemp as it is bit more hard wearing than neoprene or some of the artificial fibres that you get, and as a vegetarian I knew that I didn't want leather. They come in a few other colours as well - light and dark brown, but I liked the green. I also got a cheap reading lght from Robert Dyas, which was about £5.

Edited by Talisman

Interesting thread this has turned into with everyone's different opinions etc. I am not too fussed about the backlight either, as I will be using the Kindle mainly through the day and in the garden in the summer. If I need to read on it at night I will just leave my lamp on like I obviously do for regular books.

As for a case, I am undecided on one for me as I am not taking the Kindle out of the house at the moment and am only reading with it on the sofa or in bed. But I will be wanting a case for when I am in the garden with it, as my garden is paved and if I drop the Kindle out there it will be a goner. I don't want to be spending a fortune on one though, so your hints about where to get one are handy.

I only have 4 books on it at present, all were bargains I grabbed in the sale on Amazon with their daily Kindle offers etc, I'm afraid that I'm still going to be someone who uses the Kindle for cheap books, if they cost the same price as the hardback or paperback would then I will just buy the real book, as I'd rather. I've been picking up some bargains in charity shops lately too, got quite a few good condition hardback books for under £2 so its a real deal for me, especially since I am running out of funds with being a job hunter on no benefits :D

All my kindles books have been cheapies or free too HoneyGirl. I feel the same way you do about the costs, and the fact that paper books cost to be produced, whereas once the book has been 'uploaded' it costs very little, so why the expense?

I still buy proper books as much as I used to, so despite my husband hoping that the kindle would help ease the book shelves, but that hasn't happened just yet. :giggle2:

Ok, when I don't want to hear something I can stick my fingers in my ears and sing "La, la, la, la!". What the heck to I do when my fingers automatically click a link and I see all the goodies? What's the vision equivalent of "La, la, la, la" ? :giggle2:

Ok, when I don't want to hear something I can stick my fingers in my ears and sing "La, la, la, la!". What the heck to I do when my fingers automatically click a link and I see all the goodies? What's the vision equivalent of "La, la, la, la" ? :giggle2:

:lol:

I tried turning my monitor off. It's made replying to your post very problematic ...

I got a Kindle 4th Gen (the one without a keyboard) for Christmas. I absolutely love it to bits, even though I swore that I would always prefer reading an actual book. Its the convenience that does it for me. Being able to keep the thing on me nearly everywhere I go and it's just so comfortable to hold. Plus, I see the progress bar at the bottom of the page a challenge so I'm actually reading quicker.

I also got the leather hard cover as another pressie.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Kindle-Leather-Cover-Black/dp/B004SD1XB0/ref=bt_atcg_mine_img_0?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=1EHE0P7JYP8G8C9766PD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=270298167&pf_rd_i=426479031

It adds nothing in terms of weight or size and the inside of the cover is svelte so I can put it on my knee and not have to hold it when I've got my feet up. :D

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to change the % bar to page numbers?

I don't think it's possible. As you're able t ochange the size of font, that would then alter the "page number" but doesn't affect the percentage.

Incidentally, if anyone is intrested in finding FREE e-books, I've started a thread for people to recommend the freebies they've read. Kindle Klub.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to change the % bar to page numbers?

Hi Janet - you can see the page number at the bottom of the screen when you press the 'menu' button, but you can't get it to display all the time, from what I understand. I'm on page 570 of 1,320 of The Stand, apparently :lol:

For more info you can have a read here: http://www.amazon.co...200504440#pages

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I love my kindle, I only got the one with wifi and I loooooooooooveeeee it. Because I get to read books right away in one hand. I don't have to carry bulky and heavy books and I don't need bookshelves. And most of all, I don't have to use eyeglasses I could make the words bigger. Ever since I had my kindle I could read more books at a time. Thanks kindle.

I still haven't fallen in love with it yet though...

Awww, poor ickle Kindle! :(:lol:

Trust me, when you're reading The Stand, 1,300 pages, where the paperback edition is the size of a small house, you'll adore it :lol:

:lol:

I did comment last year when reading a 500+ page book that I could see where a Kindle would come in handy. I love the device itself, but I don't seem to be reading more like other people - I actually seem to be reading less, but I have been busy so maybe it would be the same if I didn't have one?

I've downloaded some more freebies today though! :)