• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a couple of books in the mail today:

Haruki Murakami What I Talk about When I Talk About Running

Sarah Winman When God Was a Rabbit

Have no idea what these are about but I just like the titles :D

You might like the Murakami, James. He runs a lot of marathons (in addition to being a fabulous author) and this an autobiographical book. I don't think/know if you run much, but you've got the fitness thing in common with him. :)

You might like the Murakami, James. He runs a lot of marathons (in addition to being a fabulous author) and this an autobiographical book. I don't think/know if you run much, but you've got the fitness thing in common with him. smile.png

I used to run maybe will again some day. Is he the guy who wrote Never Let Me Go?

:blush2: Um, actually I've only read South of the Border, West of the Sun so far, which is probably one of his shortest books. :blush2: I liked it enough, though, that I'm confident I'll enjoy his other books. Weave and others are better placed to help you with reading order. The ones I listed above are those that I believe are his best-known books, so you could probably start with any of them. I think that The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle may be a bit more 'out there' than the others, so maybe you could try Norwegian Wood.

I just really enjoyed his style of writing. He writes really well about relationships and people's thoughts and feelings, and I felt like I connected with him, I guess.

I just really enjoyed his style of writing. He writes really well about relationships and people's thoughts and feelings, and I felt like I connected with him, I guess.

Murakami is someone I really feel I should read one day. Those last sentences make me want to read him all the more. Oh why are there so many books and so little time.

I know just how you feel, Andrea. I feel as though I'll never have enough time to read all the books I want. :(

I received An Arsène Lupin Omnibus by Maurice Leblanc in the mail yesterday. I wasn't sure what stories would be in it, but I was pretty sure it would include Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Thief, which I already own. I figured doubling up on one story wouldn't be too bad, but happily, things went my way for once, and there are four different books in the omnibus. :D I started reading the first one yesterday (Arsène Lupin vs Holmlock Shears :)) and was getting absorbed by the second page, but I had to put it down because I already have a few books on the go.

I have received a few books in the mail this week—all hand delivered to my door by my posties. Aw, I'm a lucky gal.

Jennifer Byrne A Book to Love (guests from ABC's First Tuesday Book Club discuss their favourite books)

Carolyn Cassady Off the Road: Twenty Years with Cassady, Kerouac and Ginsberg

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Tales of Unease

:D

I received The Letters of Vincent van Gogh in the mail yesterday.

That will be fascinating, Kylie. I've been trying to track down a biography about Van Gogh from our local libraries, but art books and biographies about artists all come under the same Dewey numbers, so it's hard sorting out one from the other. After talking to a librarian last week, we ordered what looked like a likely contender, only to discover when it arrived, that it was a tiny little book with only rudimentary information. :negative:

No he's not! He's immortal!

( :giggle2:)

Poppy, that's a shame about the bio. I hope you can find a better one. I have a biography-type book on van Gogh, but I'm not sure that it would be what you want because it's a fictionalised account of his life. It's called A Lust for Life by Irving Stone. It's supposed to be pretty good.

An improved opinion, I hope? :o

Well not exactly :D more of a changed one. I think he formerly thought that Vincent was a bit vulnerable and quite sensitive and indeed he was in a lot of ways but he was also quite bold not to say outrageously cheeky when it came to asking his brother Theo for money and materials (I haven't read it so I can't say but from what Al said he used to write asking for this and that .. money, paper, paint and whatnot .. and it's like don't send me any rubbish like you did last time .. I want this brush or that paper .. and of course poor Theo didn't have an awful lot of money.)

Alan said 'goodness .. he was a bit of a scrounger' :D However, it didn't change his opinion one bit .. I think he saw it that Vincent had one focus only and that was his art .. he lived and breathed it .. so to him it was vital to get the means to paint and he wasn't above demanding and being slightly unreasonable if need be. To Alan he's still the greatest artist ever and there's a lot of info in the letters about his influences and inspirations etc so it's well worth reading.

Poppy, that's a shame about the bio. I hope you can find a better one. I have a biography-type book on van Gogh, but I'm not sure that it would be what you want because it's a fictionalised account of his life. It's called A Lust for Life by Irving Stone. It's supposed to be pretty good.

That's so funny Kylie, because last night I was searching for a book about him and discovered exactly this one. Of course, my library doesn't have it :roll: , but they may be able to track it down for me. But I would definitely be interested in reading it. Even if it's fiction, I imagine it would be loosely based on truth and even biographical works never get it completely right, I'm sure.

The BD has been sending me loads of emails lately telling me that they've further discounted books on my wish list, so now I have a stack of books on order. :) Instead of posting them as they arrive, I'll just make one list here and edit it when I receive the books (I usually need to know the exact date I receive them for one reason or another).

Lester Bangs Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung (17/8)

Craig Brown One on One: 101 True Encounters (14/8)

Italo Calvino The Literature Machine (9/8)

Roger-Pol Droit Astonish Yourself! 101 Experiments in the Philosophy of Everyday Life (7/8)

Sumner Locke Elliott Careful, He Might Hear You (14/8)

Angelica Garnett Deceived with Kindness (17/8)

Morris Gleitzman After (14/8)

Don Marquis The Annotated Archy and Mehitabel (20/8)

Terry Pratchett Discworld #14: Lords and Ladies

Terry Pratchett Discworld #36: Making Money (9/8)

Terry Pratchett Discworld #37: Unseen Academicals (10/8)

Norah Vincent Self-Made Man (10/8)

Thanks James. I read most of the thread when you were all doing the group read and my interest was piqued. :) I also want to read the book she wrote about being in the mental hospital: Voluntary Madness.

Alan said 'goodness .. he was a bit of a scrounger' :D

Hehehe. Well, if that's the worst I learn about van Gogh, then I'll be happy. :)

That's so funny Kylie, because last night I was searching for a book about him and discovered exactly this one. Of course, my library doesn't have it :roll: , but they may be able to track it down for me. But I would definitely be interested in reading it. Even if it's fiction, I imagine it would be loosely based on truth and even biographical works never get it completely right, I'm sure.

I hope your library can get a hold of it for you. I hadn't heard of it until my therapist recommended it as a book that helped her in some way. Maybe I'll get something out of it too. :)

I do try, Raven. :D I fear I'm fighting a losing battle against ebooks, but I'll never give up!

I think I'm doing more for your economy than my own, because nearly all of the books I buy are from the Book Depository. So...you're welcome, England. :giggle: