TWILIGHT Saga by Stephenie Meyer

KW

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe how awful she is! Maybe thats why she insisted on the cameo in Twilight she's paranoid the spotlight will be off her for a second.

I had no idea she had a cameo in the movie! What was her little role??

Are you kidding? You can't miss her.

It's when Bella and Charlie go into the diner the second time,and the shot opens behind the bar/counter, facing the table in the corner where Bella and Charlie are, but sitting at the counter in the foreground is Stephanie playing with a laptop.

And just in case you didn't realise it was her, the waitress hands her a drink and says, 'here you go Stephie' and Stephanie smiles and says thanks, and then it cuts to Bella and Charlie.

Well, Twilight has been my guilty pleasure/secret for the last week (I really am too old for this!). I enjoyed the story, and remembering first love - oh if only that feeling lasted!

Meyer's writing does leave a lot to be desired, though - all that staring and glaring, and lets not get to the repetitive descriptions of Edward's beauty (surely once or twice was enough?)

But I am hooked! Read New Moon in 2 days, and oh joy Amazon's just delievered Eclipse & Breaking Dawn! Might not come up for air for a while....

Are you kidding? You can't miss her.

It's when Bella and Charlie go into the diner the second time,and the shot opens behind the bar/counter, facing the table in the corner where Bella and Charlie are, but sitting at the counter in the foreground is Stephanie playing with a laptop.

And just in case you didn't realise it was her, the waitress hands her a drink and says, 'here you go Stephie' and Stephanie smiles and says thanks, and then it cuts to Bella and Charlie.

I don't even know what the woman looks like, so probably pretty easy to miss for me! :) And I have even less interest in learning more about her or seeing how she looks after your post, Roxi. "Here you go, Stephie." REAAAAAAALLLYY?! What is WRONG w/this woman?

I'm a bit bothered that this thread seems to have more to do with the writer's personal life and character than the actual books, at least as of late. I'm not a fan of Stephenie Meyer but some of the comments made here about her have been quite harsh. And yes, everybody's entitled to their opinions and have a right to voice them, but I just can't see the point in this bashing.

Well theres already a good 17 or 18 pages about Twilight, have you anything to add? The main reason I don't think Twilight is any good is because of the way it's written, i.e by Stephanie Meyer, although I like some of the concepts. We also talk about the movie in this thread because it'd be a waste of space to make a thread for each book and the movie. And the recent comments about stephanie are in relation to her putting herself in the foreground of a shot and specifically having her name mentioned in the script (just in case you didn't know who she was) IN the movie.

I still like the movie though.

I appreciate the fact that there's already so many pages of discussing the actual book and yes, if you've already gone to detail in talking about it, the discussion will come to an end eventually. There are however people who have just read the book and might have something to say about it. For example I haven't commented on the book so far on this thread so yes I might have something to add to the discussion.

I'm just saying that I don't personally appreciate some of the comments made here and don't see much that would be constructive, but well, that's just me.

Edit: And I'm not saying that everything in this forum should be constructive either. Wow, I'm a great debater with the skills to make clear points...

Edited by frankie

Well 'Twilight' in and of itself isn't very constructive to the literary world either :)

I quite agree with you there. :D

Well, now that I've had my say and it didn't even have anything to do with the book itself I might as well have a go at posting my thoughts on the actual novel. And there might be nothing new about my sentiments to you, I'm sure other people have experienced the same things.

About Twilight. For the first half of the book I was thinking that I'll never read another hyped book again. I didn't like any of the characters and certainly couldn't relate to them. And I really didn't see why Bella was so infatuated with Edward, but I thought that maybe it's one of those love-at-first-sight -things and there's no sense in them to others but those who experience it.

My main "issue" with the novel was the dialogue between the characters, especially between Bella and Edward. It was so bad, so awkward. Nobody talks like that! I was really uncomfortable every time they were left alone and I knew another dialogue between them was about to commence.

However, the plot itself was quite gripping when things got started. I didn't want to put the book down. And as soon as I was finished (well, even before that) I knew I had to get the second book as soon as possible. I've read New Moon but for some reason don't remember so much about it so won't get into that. I wasn't able to get Eclipse and Breaking Dawn very quickly so I had to take a break reading the saga and I still haven't picked up Eclipse. I'm waiting for the right mood, I suppose.

I finally succumbed to the hype about this series of teen-vampire books. So, does it live up to the hype? To be honest, I didn't think it anything all that special - it's basically a teen romance with vampires and the story could have been almost identical even without the bloodsucking element.

That's not to say it doesn't have its merits. It's incredibly easy to read and a lot of fun to boot. The characters are quirky, although, I'll admit I found Bella rather nauseating with her constant declarations of love for Edward and her near-terminal clumsiness - it just got a bit too much at times. I also couldn't understand why all the boys in town were falling over themselves to go out with her. Are they so devoid of female company in Forks? Edward, too, didn't actually strike me as anything all that hot. Yes, he's beautiful to look at, he's mysterious and brooding, but then, aren't almost all novel vampires? He just lacked that bit of "oomph" for me.

That said, there was enough there to keep me entertained and just enough to keep me interested enough to try at least one of the sequels - we'll see where I go from there...

Unless, of course, you have a large bank balance, and will help me out! :tong:

Ahahahaha! A student with a large bank balance? Oxymoron, if ever I heard one :D

I have to admit, I'm not really entitled to a say about any of it - I bought a Twilight bracelet :)

My best friend and I stumbled into Twilight be accident and I my have created a vampire-addict.

I really enjoyed this series, but I'm not sure it's as wonderful as everyone makes it out to be. Of course, I was in love with the wizards before ... and I wasn't ready to leave that bandwagon for another.

All in all I thought they were a great read ... not just for teens, but for all ages who enjoy a romance story with drama! :lol: