New Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire released!

Lumo

NEW Kindle, Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire released

They look good to me (well not so sure about the Kindle Fire), what does everyone else think?

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wi-Fi-Ink-Display-Screensavers/dp/B0051QVESA/ref=amb_link_357628522_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03GGADNH8GNWSC4XDBQM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1321401782&pf_rd_i=133141011

I'm in the US at the moment and am tempted to buy the $79 version...

KT-slate-main-novid-lg._V166806601_.jpg

Kindle Touch:

amazon-official-kindle-touch.jpg

Kindle Fire

KO-slate-main-lg._V166806822_.jpg

Edited by Duncan

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£89 and available from 12th October. This could be what I've been waiting for! I was hoping for a Kindle for Xmas, but at £111 I thought it a bit much to think about. This is FAR more affordable and so sleek and pocket-sized! :)

I think they look great. I don't really use the keyboard on the Kindle, so it wouldn't be missed. I don't know about the Kindle Fire though. It's more of a tablet than an e-reader, so I think they shouldn't have used the name 'Kindle'. I wouldn't use it as an e-reader, simply because it doesn't use the e-ink technology that is so easy on the eyes. I'm sure I could use it for loads of other things though. :smile2:

£89 and available from 12th October. This could be what I've been waiting for! I was hoping for a Kindle for Xmas, but at £111 I thought it a bit much to think about. This is FAR more affordable and so sleek and pocket-sized! :)

That seems to be the new Kindle rather than the Kindle Touch, I wonder how much the Kindle Touch will be...

EDIT: various news sites are saying there is no release date for the Kindle Touch in the UK yet :-(

Edited by Duncan

That seems to be the new Kindle rather than the Kindle Touch, I wonder how much the Kindle Touch will be...

EDIT: various news sites are saying there is no release date for the Kindle Touch in the UK yet :-(

Yeah, I saw that. Seems a strange decision not to bring the Touch to the UK.

Also, the £89 version has shorter battery life and less memory than the existing Kindle 3. The cheaper price point is a winner, though.

Edited by Karsa Orlong

Yeah, I saw that. Seems a strange decision not to bring the Touch to the UK.

Also, the £89 version has shorter battery life and less memory than the existing Kindle 3. The cheaper price point is a winner, though.

Yes, it would be surprising if the touch never comes to the UK, and as the Kindle is likely to be a popular christmas present it would be odd if they didn't release the touch in the UK until after christmas, but one never knows.

• 4 weeks later...

I am hopefully getting a Kindle for Christmas - am wanting the £149 one with the Wi-fi and 3G. Would I be better off waiting a while, or are these new versions not coming out yet?

I hate it when I buy something then a newer version comes out.

I also think I will get one of these for Christmas. While the new Kindle is out in the UK, the new Kindle Touch (with a touchscreen for selecting books, turning pages etc) is not out yet. I think the Kindle Touch looks like a good improvement over the standard Kindle and I would rather wait and have that one than settle for the standard Kindle. It will have WiFi but not sure about 3G. The Kindle Touch also has a headphone socket for audio books and has some other features which, erm, I can't remember right now ;-)

The Kindle touch is released in the US in mid November, I don't think there is a date set yet for release in the UK. However, I would be surprised it if were not released before Christmas as I imagine it would be a popular present and therefore would be odd for Amazon to release it after christmas. I think I'll call in a favour and get someone to bring me one from America, they are generally a bit cheaper there anyway.

My mum & dad will be buying mine for me, so I am wanting to try to get the most value for money. I am not that fussed about touch screen, although I would love an iPad2 which I plan to get at a later date anyway so I'm thinking that the £149 Kindle would be best for me anyway.

I'll see if Amazon announce anything in the next couple of weeks though about the Touch

I've just checked Amazon.com and the 3G Touch will be $149 with adverts or $189 without. The pricing of the new ones seems to be about the same or sometimes better than the older ones, maybe when it's released in the UK it won't be more than the £149 3G one?

iPad2 does look nice...

I'm getting rather confused with all the different Kindles around. They've only just starting selling Kindles over here and stores seem to be out of stock all the time. However, Dad managed to snag one for Mum's birthday. I can't believe she'll be getting a Kindle before me!

So, does the Kindle touch have a colour screen as well, or is it only the tablet-like Kindle Fire that has colour? Ideally, I'd like a colour touch Kindle, and I'm prepared to wait (reluctantly).

The new Kindle and the Kindle touch both have the same resolution of black and white screen, the main difference being the Touch has some kind of touchscreen layer over/in/under it (I don't know how it works). The Touch version also has a longer battery life and more storage space than the new Kindle (but not sure how it compares to the Keyboard Kindle).

The Kindle Fire tablet is indeed the only one to have a colour screen.

The Touch version also has a longer battery life and more storage space than the new Kindle (but not sure how it compares to the Keyboard Kindle).

It's about the same as the Keyboard, by the looks of it - there's a comparison table if you scroll down this page:

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-eReader-eBook-Reader-e-Reader-Special-Offers/dp/B0051QVESA/ref=amb_link_357727622_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=0BSDVXTHFGE09VB4XEAZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1322986102&pf_rd_i=507846

Curious that the capacity for books is 500 less, though :huh:

The Kindle Fire sounds and looks good, but is not available as yet in the UK. As it is not that long since I bought my regular Kindle (with the keyboard) I will wait for a year or two anyway, to see how the technology changes and hopefully how the price comes down !

The issue I'd have with the Kindle Touch is the constant wiping off of the screen! The thing I like about my normal Kindle is that I don't have to touch the screen, and I keep it in a case, so I don't have to wipe off fingermarks at all - I'm constantly cleaning my iPad screen :lol:

Bobblybear

I have a Kindle too,and have to agree with you, I could totally go without the typing area below with the letters. Kinda useless for me .

To tell the honest truth,when I first got it, I was so excited to have one,but have found that I still prefer a book to a kindle .Not sure quite why,maybe the FEEL of the book ?

The only time I like having a Kindle is if there is a new book coming out that I REALLY want. Our libraries in our state have had many cuts in funding,so new books aren't as easily available as they once were. I put myself on a waiting list for one, but I was number 138 ..... I wont live long enough to wait that much time !

So, I do like it to get a brand new book quickly .We live in the sticks,so a new bookstore is quite a jaunt from here .