Nici's Reading

Nici

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished No Time for Goodbye last night and thought it was great!

My thoughts:

Brilliant! A excellent thriller that I finished in 3 days. So many twists and turns that apart from one character I really had no idea how the book would end! Very well written and you can imagine what it must have been like for the Cynthia, the daughter.

I would definately recommend this book. 10/10

No doubt I will scare myself silly but tonight I will be starting Sarah Pinborough - Breeding Ground.

Synopsis from Sarah Pinborough's website:

Life was good for Matt and Chloe. They were in love and looking forward to their new baby. But what Chloe gave birth to isn't a baby. It isn't even human. It's an entirely new species that uses humans only for food - and as hosts for their young.

As Matt soon learns, though, he is not alone in his terror. Women all over town have begun to give birth to these hideous creatures, spidery nightmares that live to kill - and feed.

As the infestation spreads and the countryside is reduced to a series of web-shrouded ghost towns, will the survivors find a way to fight back? Or is it only a matter of time before all of mankind is reduced to a... Breeding Ground?

Well isn't that just typical...I get a few pages into Breeding Ground and one of my review books turns up in the post this morning!

So I have put Breeding Ground to one side and am about to start The Sitting Swing - Irene Watson

Synopsis from Amazon:

Irene Watson's pretentious life could go no further until she faced her past. Her moving and inspiring memoir begins at the end, in a recovery center, where she has gone to understand a childhood fraught with abuse, guilt, and uncertainty. Two distinct parts of the book look at abusive child rearing and the process of recovery years later. This story shows change, growth, and forgiveness are possible. It gives hope and freedom to those accepting the past and re-writing life scripts that have been passed down for generations. It's never too late to change your life, never too late to heal. Praise for The Sitting Swing "Watson's memoir recounts her fearful, highly sheltered years as she uncovers the childhood wounds leading to her personality crisis. This is an earnest memoir, well structured." -PUBLISHERS WEEKLY "The Sitting Swing is the poignant story of the author's successful journey to transcend the patterns sculpted by her parents and childhood experiences. I loved it!"-NANCY OELKLAUS, PHD, LIFE COACH AND AUTHOR OF JOURNEY FROM HEAD TO HEART: LIVING AND WORKING AUTHENTICALLY "As a teacher of transformational principles for self-discovery and the treatment of addictions, reading The Sitting Swing inspired me to a richer new voice, infusing my lectures with a deeper level of meaning.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished The Sitting Swing, the refer will be on the blog shortly.

Now I am starting another review book:

My Lady Judge by Cora Harrison

Synopsis from Amazon:

In the sixteenth century, as it is now, the Burren, on the western seaboard of Ireland, was a land of grey stone forts, fields of rich green grass and swirling mountain terraces. It was also home to an independent kingdom that lived peacefully by the ancient Brehon laws of their forebears. On the first eve of May, 1509, hundreds of people from the Burren climbed the gouged out limestone terraces of Mullaghmore Mountain to celebrate the great May Day festival, lighting a bonfire and singing and dancing through the night, then returning through the grey dawn to the safety of their homes. But one man did not come back down the steeply spiralling path. His body lay exposed to the ravens and wolves on the bare, lonely mountain for two nights ...and no one spoke of him, or told what they had seen.And when Mara, a woman appointed by King Turlough Don O'Brien to be judge and lawgiver to the stony kingdom, came to investigate, she was met with a wall of silence ...'An excellent historical novel with a most original leading character...A true Celtic feast.' - P. C. Doherty.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't get into My Lady Judge so I Have passed it onto Kate to review for me (thanks you Kate!)

So I thought I would try something that I have never tried before and decided on a classic! So I am now reading Jane Eyre and I tell you what, I am really enjoying it!!

Someone told me that I now have 'the bug' and will read them all! :blush: Certainly I have requested some from Book Mooch!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have just finished A House at Riverton - Kate Morton and really really enjoyed it. Such a sad tale which brought a tear to my eye at the end. I didn't see the end coming at all so it was tense right until the last page.

I loved the way it was written and was engrossed from the first page.

10/10

• 2 weeks later...

I started Little Women ~ Louisa May Alcott a few days ago and am really enjoying it. It seems to be quite a lovely story. I know it is classed as a Childrens Classic but I am enjoying it nevertheless! :lol:

From Amazon:

Little Women has remained enduringly popular since its publication in 1868, becoming the inspiration for a whole genre of family stories. Set in a small New England community, it tells of the March family: Marmee looks after daughters in the absence of her husband, who is serving as an army chaplain in the Civil War, and Meg, Jo,Beth, and Amy experience domestic trials and triumphs as they attempt to supplement the family's small income. In the second part of the novel (sometimes known as Good Wives) the girls grow up and fall in love. The novel is highly autobiographical, and in Jo's character Alcott portrays a strong-minded and independent woman, determined to control her own destiny. The introduction to this edition provides a fascinating history of the Alcotts,and of Louisa Alcott's own struggles as a writer.

• 2 weeks later...

I was really looking forward to reading A Christmas Carol this Christmas but unfortunately I have completely lost my reading mojo. I can't seem to concentrate at all.

I think I might try a non Christmas book as I'm not feeling as festive as I normally would because of mum.

I was really looking forward to reading A Christmas Carol this Christmas but unfortunately I have completely lost my reading mojo. I can't seem to concentrate at all.

Funny I have lost mine too and its been lost for about 3 weeks now :motz:I hate it when that happens :) Hope I get it back soon my TBR read pile has grown immensly since I joined this place :(

Know how you feel about your Mum though, for me its my Dad at this time of year :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading Sepulchre ~ Kate Mosse.

Synopsis:

An elderly priest brutally murdered. The body of a young man floating in the River Aude. A nervous woman sitting in a damask-draped room. A smiling man in the shadows. Four different people, scattered across France, scattered across the ages. The only link, the painted tarot cards they hold... SEPULCHRE is a spellbinding adventure that carries us back from the present day in the French spa-town of Rennes-les-Bains, first to the 19th century, and then further back into the stories of the ancient kings buried there with their treasure. For those who stumble upon the cards, unravelling the mystery of the painted deck will take them on a treacherous journey of forbidden knowledge, the power of the church and the pull of the occult. A tale of strange music, personal ruin, murderous greed and age-old secrets - prepare yourself to turn over the cards...

My thoughts:

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I couldn't put this book down. At a whopping 739 pages I was hooked right until the end.

The characters were brilliant and the two stories of Meredith and Leonie merged wonderfully. Lots of twists and turns and even though some of them were predictable it was still a very enjoyable book.

Fab!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am reading two review books at the moment, one during the day and one in bed at night!

Touch of a Dark Wolf ~ Jennifer St Giles (book 1 in the Shadowmen series)

Jennifer St. Giles begins a dazzling new series that takes you into a world of seductive shape shifters and mystical beings, and into the hearts of a band of heroic warriors known as The Shadowmen. . . .

Yesterday, Erin Morgan worked for a pioneering Manhattan medical center. Today, she's on the run, witness to a chilling conspiracy. Fleeing for her life in the Tennessee mountains, she is run off the road by a mysterious beast . . . and things only get stranger when she wakes the next day to find a naked Adonis sprawled on the hood of her car.

For centuries, Jared has been a shape shifter, sworn to protect mortals like Erin. But in saving her, Jared has damned himself, for the poison from his battle wound stirs a terrible blood lust. Determined to protect Erin, Jared stays by her side and discovers a sensual rapture beyond imagining . . . and a love that can change his fate. But can Jared overcome his savage thirst and protect Erin from the beast within?

Nightswallow ~ Bronwen Winter Phoenix

Night Swallow is dead. A former travel journalist, she lost herself in beautiful worlds far from the London apartment where she was murdered. Following a series of dark events on an isolated island, she must face her face as she is forced to learn the ways of the spirits around her. As things start to spiral out of control, she is sucked deeper into a world she no longer recognises to battle the unstoppable force she uncovered on her travels. With help from mesmerising spirits along the way ~ Magnus, a mysterious loner; Gabrielle, an extravagant former theatre actress and Leon, an unusual librarian with a penchant for seeing the dead ~ Night has to stop her killer from destroying all that she loved. But will her unfinished business lead her to the final answer?

Edited by Nici

Finished, last night Touch of a Dark Wolf ~ Jennifer St Giles

Synopsis:

Jennifer St. Giles begins a dazzling new series that takes you into a world of seductive shape shifters and mystical beings, and into the hearts of a band of heroic warriors known as The Shadowmen. . . .

Yesterday, Erin Morgan worked for a pioneering Manhattan medical center. Today, she's on the run, witness to a chilling conspiracy. Fleeing for her life in the Tennessee mountains, she is run off the road by a mysterious beast . . . and things only get stranger when she wakes the next day to find a naked Adonis sprawled on the hood of her car.

For centuries, Jared has been a shape shifter, sworn to protect mortals like Erin. But in saving her, Jared has damned himself, for the poison from his battle wound stirs a terrible blood lust. Determined to protect Erin, Jared stays by her side and discovers a sensual rapture beyond imagining . . . and a love that can change his fate. But can Jared overcome his savage thirst and protect Erin from the beast within?

My thoughts:

A very easy and enjoyable book. Quite sexy in places, a perfect bed time read!

I thought the characters were described well and I visualised them all very easily in my mind. A good mix of excitement and romance with a supernatural twist of vampires and werewolfs. Really looking forward to the second book, Lure of the Wolf which I will be starting tonight.

If you want a sexy and exciting supernatural romance, this is the book for you!