Nici's Reading

Nici

Finished Before the Storm tonight and loved it! You can find out my thoughts here

I am about to start another review book, Lost and Found by Jacqueline Sheehan

Synopsis from Amazon:

Roxanne Pellegrino's world collapses when her husband dies unexpectedly. The only way she feels she can deal with her all-consuming grief is to run away from her life. She leaves her home, her career and her friends, heading for Peaks Island, a tiny speck off the coast of Maine. A former psychologist, she finds herself taking a job as an animal warden and reinventing her past so it doesn't include the tragedy of her husband's death. But despite Roxanne's best efforts to cut herself off from her emotions and people in general, she finds herself drawn to her quirky new neighbours. And then Roxanne meets Lloyd. Lloyd is a stray dog, a large black Labrador retriever who clearly has been woefully mistreated. And so begins a remarkable friendship between a wounded woman and a wounded dog. And as both slowly begin to heal, Roxanne begins to deal with her grief and discover that happiness can be found in unexpected places...

This sounds like a good little book and am looking forward to it. :lol:

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped reading Lost and Found yesterday as it wasn't really my type of book and instead I am now reading A piece of cake - Cupcake Brown and I am already 123 pages in as it is really good!

Synopsis from Amazon

This is the heart-wrenching true story of a girl named Cupcake and it begins when, aged eleven, she is orphaned and placed in the 'care' of sadistic foster parents. But there comes a point in her preteen years - maybe it's the night she first tries to run away and is exposed to drugs, alcohol, and sex all at once - when Cupcake's story shifts from a tear-jerking tragedy to a dark, deeply disturbing journey through hell. Cupcake learned to survive by turning tricks, downing hard liquor and ingesting every drug she could find while hitchhiking up and down the California coast. At just sixteen, she stumbled into the terrifying world of the gangsta, dealing drugs, hustling and only just surviving a drive-by shooting. But, ironically, it was Cupcake's rapid descent into the nightmare of crack cocaine addiction that finally saved her. After one four-day crack binge she woke up behind a dumpster. Half-dressed and half-dead, she finally realized she had to change her life or die on the streets - another trash-can addict, another sad statistic. Astonishingly, Cupcake turned her life around and this is her brutally frank, startlingly funny story.

Unlike any memoir you will ever read, "A Piece of Cake" is a redemptive, gripping tale of a resilient spirit who took on the worst of contemporary urban life and survived it. It is also the most genuinely affecting rollercoaster ride through hell and back that you will ever take.

Right I have decided on Stephen King - Bag of Bones

Synopsis from Amazon:

When Mike Noonan's wife dies, he is drawn to their summer home in the town of Sara Laughs. He finds the town in the grip of millionaire Max Devore, who is hell-bent on getting custody of his deceased son's child. Kyra and her mother turn to Mike for help, but there are sinister forces in their way.

I haven't read any Stephen King since The Stand which was ages ago so I quite fancied one of his books. Shouldn't really be reading it though as I have four review books and eight of your books here as well..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Bag of Bones last night and really really enjoyed it.

It was a bit of a slow burner but I stuck with it and glad I did. A good ghost story which scared me in places. One big twist in it that I really was not expecting and it really quite upset me! Full review of the BCF Blog and my Blog by the end of today.

Next I will be reading an Elizabeth Chadwick book when I meet up with Michelle tomorrow - can't wait! :)

Edited by Nici

You can't wait for the book, or you can't wait to shop with your wonderful friend?! :gl:

Did you two know each other before the forum or just met on here?

Did you two know each other before the forum or just met on here?

We met here and i'm jolly glad we did! :D

I am about to start Daughters of the Grail - Elizabeth Chadwick :gl:

Synopsis from Amazon:

Thirteenth century France. Bridget has grown up mastering the mystical gifts of her ancestor, Mary Magdalene, whose unbroken female lineage has kept a legacy of wisdom alive for a thousand years. But the all-powerful Catholic Church has sworn to destroy Bridget for using her healing talents and supernatural abilities. Bridget's duty to continue the bloodline leads her into the arms of Raoul de Montvallant - a Catholic. But when the Church's savage religious intolerance causes Raoul to turn rebel, a terrible vengeance is exacted by Simon de Montfort, the unstoppable Catholic leader of a crusade against peaceful 'heretics'. As war rages on, it is the children of these passionate souls, Magda and Dominic, who must strive to preserve the ancient knowledge for future generations - and find the love and courage to endure...

• 3 weeks later...

I have had to put Daughters of the Grail to one side since mum passed away as I have well and truly lost my reading mojo.

Instead I got a magazine yesterday to read and there was a review for a book called Angels watching over me - Jacky Newcomb. This book seemed to almost jump out at me wanting to be read so today I got it. I am finding it comforting as I believe in this sort of thing. :lol:

Synopsis from Amazon:

The souls of our loved ones take a keen interest in our lives here on earth. "An Angel Watching Over Me" offers a glimpse into the magical stories of communication between our world and the next. These messages will bring comfort and healing to anyone who has lost someone close to them, whether recently or long ago. In this book, Jacky Newcomb illustrates the power of real-life spontaneous afterlife experiences and how they show that life goes on after we leave the physical realm. These stories have much in common with the classic angel experience, and show that the souls of your loved ones watch over you as you live your life.

I don't normally read two books at once but today I have started Healing Grief - James Van Praagh.

I am also still reading Angels watching over me, both of these books are giving me comfort and are beautiful books to read.

I finished Healing Grief - James Van Praagh this morning and feel really comforted by it. A beautiful book after life after death from a mediums perspective. I have always believed in mediums and this has reinforced my views.

Really lovely.

I will probably finish Angels watching over me - Jacky Newcomb this afternoon. I brought a copy of this book for my sister as well as I thought it would comfort her and she has finished it already! She loved it! :lol:

I feel like reading some fiction again but nothing too challenging so I have decided on Hope - Lesley Pearse.

Synopsis from Amazon

Somerset, 1836, and baby Hope is cast out from a world of privilege as living proof of her mother's adultery...Smuggled away from the Harveys and Briargate House to a nearby village, Hope grows up in the arms of the warm and loving Renton family, unaware of her true identity. But fate has harsh plans for Hope and a chain of events sees her forced to lead a vagabond's existence until she finds the courage to fight back and prove herself a fearless and able nurse, a vocation that takes her to the horrific battlefields of the Crimea. But, the secrets of the past are not yet done with Hope Renton and she must return to England to face the legacy of her birth...With the storytelling magic that has won Lesley Pearse millions of fans, "Hope" is the portrait of a remarkable woman who will never let the world - or injustice - bring her down.

I am afraid that I just can't get back into Daughters of the Grail at the moment but I will try again at some point in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished Hope - Lesley Pearse on Tuesday and loved it!

This is the second of her books that I have read and enjoyed this one just as much as the other one.

Brilliantly written with great characters. I thought her descriptions of the cholera outbreak were very well written and you could imagine being there.

Super! :D

Started No Time for Goodbye - Linwood Barclay this evening. So far so good! :D

Synopsis from Amazon

On the morning she will never forget, suburban teenager Cynthia Archer awakes with a nasty hangover and a feeling she is going to have an even nastier confrontation with her mom and dad. But when she leaves her bedroom, she discovers the house is empty, with no sign of her parents or younger brother Todd. In the blink of an eye, without any explanation, her family has simply disappeared. Twenty-five years later Cynthia is still haunted by unanswered questions. Were her family murdered? If so, why was she spared? And if they're alive, why did they abandon her in such a cruel way? Now married with a daughter of her own, Cynthia fears that her new family will be taken from her just as her first one was. And so she agrees to take part in a TV documentary revisiting the case, in the hope that somebody somewhere will remember something - or even that her father, mother or brother might finally reach out to her... Then a letter arrives which makes no sense and yet chills Cynthia to the core. And soon she begins to realise that stirring up the past could be the worst mistake she has ever made...