The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

A Jane Eyre adaptation starring Samantha Morton and Ciaran Hinds. Woeful, unfortunately. Morton played Jane like an impudent upstart, and Hinds turned my beloved Rochester into nothing more than a shouty bully :( Plus they cut out loads of the book. After watching several adaptations of Jane Eyre, I am of the opinion that a two hour film cannot do the story justice! Probably why I am such a fan of the Ruth Wilson/Toby Stephens mini-series (might be time for a re-watch, now that I mention it!)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kylie, please tell me you've read the book-version of The Shining before seeing the film-version??

I love The Holiday, but sometimes grow tiresome of all the conversations and talking between Jude and Cameron. Not that I want them to be in bed every minute, but there's so much thinking and agonizing over relationships. I like much better how Kate and Jack are great friends but with the possibility of something more, you know? I do love the little house in the Cotswolds, and I also love the LA house. I would love room-darking blinds in my bedroom and hello! A wall of movies to watch! That'd be fun :D

I watched Dark Shadows last night. Not something I'd watch again, unfortunately, but I did love the music!

Went to see The Life of Pi (in 2D) tonight - I had low expectations, but actually wasn't too bad, and I was worried that at 2 hours 7 minutes it would drag, but was surprised how quickly it went by. Also, Rafe Spall is in it, albeit in a small role, it's always lovely to see him on screen. Cinema itself - plus point, only two other people in our screening, minus point, they still managed to talk and rustle sweet papers, and the cinema was flipping freezing so we sat there in woolly jumpers, gloves and scarfs!

Kylie, please tell me you've read the book-version of The Shining before seeing the film-version??

Umm.... :lurker:

I usually like to read the book first, but I don't even have a copy on my TBR pile, and I've been so curious about the movie with all the talk here, so I just had to check it out. I'll read the book one day, though!

Dead Man Walking. I remember watching this with a friend years ago, and we both just sat there in stunned silence afterwards. Naively, I naively thought that watching it now, knowing the ending before it happened, I wouldn't be so affected. WRONG! I blubbed my eyes out for most of the film. It's very very well done, and beautifully acted by all. Just fantastic.

I usually like to read the book first, but I don't even have a copy on my TBR pile, and I've been so curious about the movie with all the talk here, so I just had to check it out. I'll read the book one day, though!

oh my......please please read the book! You must!

I just watched The City of Ember. It was amazing, and I now want to read the book! :readingtwo:

I've had this book on my TBR list for awhile now...I didn't realize there was a movie...I'll have to move the book up my list so I can look for the movie :D

I just watched The City of Ember. It was amazing, and I now want to read the book! :readingtwo:

My mum mentioned that to me before it was on, and I remember reading the book - and yet I can't find a record of it anywhere! :o I recall it being quite close to the book, but there was more to the instructions she found. I enjoyed both. :)

My mum mentioned that to me before it was on, and I remember reading the book - and yet I can't find a record of it anywhere! :o I recall it being quite close to the book, but there was more to the instructions she found. I enjoyed both. :)

I just had a look on goodreads, and the book is actually part of a series of 4 books. I just read the prologue of the book, and I already can't wait to get around to reading it :P

I've had this book on my TBR list for awhile now...I didn't realize there was a movie...I'll have to move the book up my list so I can look for the movie :D

I watched the film first because I though I probably wouldn't be bothered about reading the book. However, the film changed my mind :P

Plus the film was on the sky+ box, and my dad is obsessed with deleting things ;)

Edited by ashleighjane

:icon_eek:

Kylie.

I don't... what were you... *sigh*

I have no words.

I watched Red Riding yesterday and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason on Sunday.

Now I'm trying to watch Mamma Mia! (because there's Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård and Amanda Seyfried) but all the singing and Abba songs are doing my head in :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I don't think I can finish the movie. Just tell me,

who's the father? It's the man played by Pierce Brosnan, isn't it?

I watched Red Riding yesterday and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason on Sunday.

Now I'm trying to watch Mamma Mia! (because there's Meryl Streep, Colin Firth, Stellan Skarsgård and Amanda Seyfried) but all the singing and Abba songs are doing my head in :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I don't think I can finish the movie. Just tell me,

who's the father? It's the man played by Pierce Brosnan, isn't it?

It's a fantastic movie! Watch it and see? If not I can pm you the answer, though I can't believe there's anyone who wants to watch it who hasn't seen it already!!

I finished watching The Descendants last night, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped but pretty good, and I did have George Clooney to drool over... :D

It's a fantastic movie! Watch it and see? If not I can pm you the answer, though I can't believe there's anyone who wants to watch it who hasn't seen it already!!

I don't know if I want to continue watching, head hurts :D If you could PM me and tell me, or post on here in spoiler tags, that would be great :blush::giggle2:

I saw Hugo yesterday, that was pretty interesting. It's about a young boy in the 1930's (looked it up since I didn't know the exact year). The boy is an orphan and he tends to the clocks on a train station in Paris (he also lives on this station). He steals to get food. I don't want to spoil too much. It was quite nice. I didn't know much about the film before I started watching it, my boyfriend saw it was on TV (on the film channel) and said it sounded interesting. Apparently it's based on a book, will have to look into that.

I liked Mamma Mia!, it's not a brilliant film imo but it's good.

I like The Descendants too, it's a great film although I prefer the book (but that's the case most of the time).

Drive angry, Funny. Thankfully Cage's dialogue is is kept to a minimum. I really like the actor who plays the accountant, he's good.

I saw Hugo yesterday, that was pretty interesting. It's about a young boy in the 1930's (looked it up since I didn't know the exact year). The boy is an orphan and he tends to the clocks on a train station in Paris (he also lives on this station). He steals to get food. I don't want to spoil too much. It was quite nice. I didn't know much about the film before I started watching it, my boyfriend saw it was on TV (on the film channel) and said it sounded interesting. Apparently it's based on a book, will have to look into that.

Is it a French movie? Sounds interesting :)

I watched Raising Arizona yesterday. It was decent :D Very Coen. A lot of familiar actors ;)

Is it a French movie? Sounds interesting :)

Well it's situated in Paris but most people speak English with a British accent. It's kind of weird at first, text in the film (ie. a book) is all in French yet the characters speak English, but once you get over that it's quite a good film. The music is French-ish, though I don't know if any French people helped make the film (the film is based on some real characters btw, I mean people who actually lived in the 1930's).