The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, New in Town it was! I like Renée Zellweger. Harry Connick Jr, I never knew his name, but when I started watching the movie I thought he seemed familiar. The beard threw me off, but I really liked it on him. It took me a while to place his face but then it hit me: Will & Grace, of course! I just IMDB'd him and found out he was also in Bug (a pretty disturbing movie!), but I don't remember him in it. But what's curious is that I watched Revolutionary Road a few days ago and wham, Michael Shannon was in it, and of course I remember him best from seeing Bug. Now, that man creeps the living F out of me!! :hide: (Because of his performance in Bug). He can act his ass off, I really, really admire him. He's a bit like that actor in Pet Sematary II and the James Bond movie, you know? The big, creepy, prominently jawed fella, you know?

Sorry I haven't replied to this earlier, Frankie! I've always loved Harry Connick Jr! He's been around forever and is an amazing piano player and singer. We used to play his music all the time in my parent's music store, since they were both jazz fiends. He started out in music way before his acting took off. One of his earlier movies, Memphis Belle is really good and you should try and check it out. He was also sweet in Hope Floats.

When I watched the movie I was actually thinking about the accent and you. I think it was a bit like in Fargo, they really pushed the envelope with the talking, didn't they? I mean they got as hillbilly with the accent as they could get :D I did notice while the credits were rolling that there was someone who did the casting in Canada, and that was a bit odd because the movie takes place in the States? So I was wondering if they'd gone for actors who got the accent the fullest, and went really over board, pun intended :giggle2:

And don't worry, I won't think you all talk like that :D And also I know they were taking the hillbilly aspect very far with the characters, too, I promise I don't think you are all like that! Besides, you know how our climate is very much the same in the winter, so the lake getting frozen and people going on it with cars to do ice-fishing and whatnot was very familiar to me :D Although I have to say, we don't have those little booths you guys seem to have, at least in movies. We just go and stay out.

I have to also say, that when Renée's character first got out from the airport, to the wintery Minnesota, and was like Fuuuu it's cold, and ran back in, I thought that's probably what Kylie will do when she comes and visits me in Finland some day :lol:

Yes, movies set in Minnesota, especially the ones that take place 'up north' really go over the top as far as our accent is concerned. Luckily the Coen's are from MN and one of their last movies, A Serious Man, didn't have over-accented characters in it. ASM is a really good movie, btw, you should check it out if you can.

You guys don't have ice-houses on the ice when you fish? A lot of people here do just go out onto the ice and sit on a bucket in front of their fishing hole, but people also go all out and get a little house. They are nice and toasty inside and some are really decked out with TVs, a fridge - the works! :lol: It gets to be quite a community out on the ice. There are roads and houses out there all winter long some years.

I also half-watched Stranger than Fiction the first time, about a year ago, but that was only because stupid digibox had not recorded the whole thing, and I was so gutted when it finished half way through, because I really liked it! It was so inspiring and creative, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is superb in that movie. And Will Ferrell is for once a serious character. Oh and Emma Thompson... Just an excellent, excellent movie!

All the actors in Stranger Than Fiction were great, I agree! Except for Saturday Night Live, I much prefer Will in a serious role (except for Elf) and really wish he would've gotten recognized as' Harold Crick' more.

There is one film he did where he got divorced from his wife and was very bitter about it. I can't remember the name but he takes all of his belongings and moves them out to the front yard and basically lives there. I loved it.

Ruth, I watched Christmas in Connecticut over the holidays too! We watched it out in CA last month and then bought it when we got home. Do you have it on DVD? If so, have you watched the little short film that's a bonus on it? It's really very sweet and touching. It's basically a re-telling of the night Jesus was born in Bethlehem.

I saw and absolutely loved Lincoln. I also finally saw Breaking Dawn 2 (I know, I'm such a bad fan to wait so long), and it was a fitting end to the series. I watched Being Flynn last night and it was just okay. Robert DeNiro was excellent, but it was pretty depressing and sort of over-the-top melodramatic, if that makes sense. It was a true story though, so I guess I can't be too critical.

I'm going to see The Hobbit tomorrow! Hopefully the future Mr. Peacefield will appreciate my being there ;)

Watched two Steve Carrell films in a row - Crazy, Stupid, Love and The 40 Year Old Virigin. Both such funny films.

Was that a coincidence or are you a Steve Carell fan? I think he's fabulous :wub:

I gave my Dad a box set of 4 Baz Luhrmann movies for Christmas. Strictly Ballroom is, of course, among them. :)

Really? You didn't give him a box set of Doris Day movies?

:giggle2:

Sorry I haven't replied to this earlier, Frankie! I've always loved Harry Connick Jr! He's been around forever and is an amazing piano player and singer. We used to play his music all the time in my parent's music store, since they were both jazz fiends. He started out in music way before his acting took off. One of his earlier movies, Memphis Belle is really good and you should try and check it out. He was also sweet in Hope Floats.

No worries, I thought you'd get to replying when you had the time if you would :) After writing that post on the movies and HCjr, I googled him some more (or did I already say that in my previous post, I can't remember) and found out that he also sings :o I was a bit stunned. I searched him on Spotify and there were loads of CDs by him :) I had no idea that he was doing music way before he got into serious acting. Thanks for the movie titles, I've written them down!

Yes, movies set in Minnesota, especially the ones that take place 'up north' really go over the top as far as our accent is concerned. Luckily the Coen's are from MN and one of their last movies, A Serious Man, didn't have over-accented characters in it. ASM is a really good movie, btw, you should check it out if you can.

I wrote that title down, too. I should start a thread on movies recommended by you and watched by me :D

You guys don't have ice-houses on the ice when you fish? A lot of people here do just go out onto the ice and sit on a bucket in front of their fishing hole, but people also go all out and get a little house. They are nice and toasty inside and some are really decked out with TVs, a fridge - the works! It gets to be quite a community out on the ice. There are roads and houses out there all winter long some years.

No, we seriously don't! So how do those houses get to be on the ice? Are new ones built every year, and who the heck hauls them on the ice, or do they use the same ones year in, year out? I think the first time I came across with an ice-house was on Frasier, when Martin took Frasier and Niles ice-fishing. It seemed they did a lot more than just ice-fish, I think they did a bit of drinking :D I can't believe you guys have TVs and fridges and stuff in them, that's just... pretty well equipped!

All the actors in Stranger Than Fiction were great, I agree! Except for Saturday Night Live, I much prefer Will in a serious role (except for Elf) and really wish he would've gotten recognized as' Harold Crick' more.

After seeing STF I think I also prefer Will in serious roles. I haven't been a huge fan of his funnier stuff, except for Blades of Glory, but that was also because that Heder dude was in it. (Napoleon's still the dynamite :cool:)

Was that a coincidence or are you a Steve Carell fan? I think he's fabulous :wub:

It was a coincidence that they were on television one after the other, but no coincidence that I watched them - I ADORE him! Absolutely love him, he's great. Have you seen Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World? I dislike Kiera Knightley but I enjoyed that film.

It was a coincidence that they were on television one after the other, but no coincidence that I watched them - I ADORE him! Absolutely love him, he's great. Have you seen Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World? I dislike Kiera Knightley but I enjoyed that film.

It is so freaky you should mention this movie! I was at a store earlier this day and noticed that same movie in the DVDs section and picked it up solely because Steve Carell was on it and memorized the title because I so want to watch it, the plot sounded good as well! I didn't have the money to buy it but I'm definitely going to look out for it eventually. I also dislike Keira Knightley, but to hecks with her, I'm not going to let her bother me as much as to stop me from watching the movie.

I assume you've watched The Office, US version? Carell is simply superb in that. Amazing.

It is so freaky you should mention this movie! I was at a store earlier this day and noticed that same movie in the DVDs section and picked it up solely because Steve Carell was on it and memorized the title because I so want to watch it, the plot sounded good as well! I didn't have the money to buy it but I'm definitely going to look out for it eventually. I also dislike Keira Knightley, but to hecks with her, I'm not going to let her bother me as much as to stop me from watching the movie.

I assume you've watched The Office, US version? Carell is simply superb in that. Amazing.

Haha if you ever forget the title, just ask me about the Steve Carrell film where the world ends. XD It's a good film. Not amazing, but thoroughly enjoyable, I think, for any fan of Carrell.

I haven't seen much of The Office, actually, just because I'm very slow to sit down and watch new shows, so I've been working through his filmography first! But I will watch The Office, when I have a chance, because I've seen bits and loved them!

Haha if you ever forget the title, just ask me about the Steve Carrell film where the world ends. XD It's a good film. Not amazing, but thoroughly enjoyable, I think, for any fan of Carrell.

Thanks for that, but I've made sure I wouldn't forget about the title, I kept chanting it to myself after I left the store so I would remember it and I've now actually written it down so I can get a hold of the movie :D

I haven't seen much of The Office, actually, just because I'm very slow to sit down and watch new shows, so I've been working through his filmography first! But I will watch The Office, when I have a chance, because I've seen bits and loved them!

Understandable. But I do urge you to start watching the series, it's amazing! I mean I loved the original UK version to begin with, and I usually dislike it when the Americans make their own version of British stuff, but the US version of The Office is the exception to the rule. Not only is Steve Carell amazing in it, but there's also Jim & Pam (the equivalent of Tim & Dawn), and they're great, and there are just some really amazing characters. One of my all time favorite shows, I never grow tired of it.

Oh and I just love the fact that you've seen parts of it and love it, eventhough you are closer to the UK and therefore possibly biased. Whenever I start talking about the US version people cringe because they love the original and can't even imagine liking the US version.

An interesting note: The Swedes have also made their own version of the show, the Swedish version aired over here in Finland last week :lol: It's so weird, seeing a third version of the same show. It's not quite the same as the US and UK ones, but there's potential.

Oh and I just love the fact that you've seen parts of it and love it, eventhough you are closer to the UK and therefore possibly biased. Whenever I start talking about the US version people cringe because they love the original and can't even imagine liking the US version.

I've actually been told by a reliable source (i.e. a friend of mine with similar comedy tastes to mine) that the US Office is better than the UK office. By which he means, he found it funnier and I probably will too. :D

Really? You didn't give him a box set of Doris Day movies?

:giggle2:

OMG! My Mum asked me virtually the same question after he unwrapped his present! And I'll say to you what I said to Mum: 'I can't believe I didn't think of doing that!' I know my Dad secretly loves Doris Day movies. :D

I've actually been told by a reliable source (i.e. a friend of mine with similar comedy tastes to mine) that the US Office is better than the UK office. By which he means, he found it funnier and I probably will too. :D

Cool, I hope you can catch the show soon! :D

OMG! My Mum asked me virtually the same question after he unwrapped his present! And I'll say to you what I said to Mum: 'I can't believe I didn't think of doing that!' I know my Dad secretly loves Doris Day movies. :D

Haha, high five Kylie's Mum! Hehe you should totally buy him DD movies :giggle2: And the autobio!

Haha, high five Kylie's Mum! Hehe you should totally buy him DD movies :giggle2: And the autobio!

I'll keep it in mind for next year.

Bridesmaids. Absolutely loved it. Thought it was hilarious. :D

I saw that recently too, and I agree! Very funny movie.

I saw Les Mis last night. I've never seen the theatre show before and knew very little of the story, although I recognised a couple of songs. I thought it was brilliant! Bawled my eyes out a couple of times.

The Lady, about Aung san suu kyi and her fight for human rights in Burma.

I don't remember hearing about that one - I will have to look out for it.

The last film I saw was The Life of Pi - I had already seen the trailer many months ago and read the book ages ago, but the film was stunning - especially in 3D, which for me is usually a gimmick.

Edited by Talisman

The last film I saw was The Life of Pi - I had already seen the trailer many months ago and read the book ages ago, but the film was stunning - especially in 3D, which for me is usually a gimmick.

Is the film quite faithful to the book?

I watched a good fun lads film last night Kill Zombie! which just about about tells you all you need to know. It is set in Amsterdam (so is subtitled) but unusually the heroes are all immigrants (Morrocan and African) who team up with a Dutch police girl to try to get to the Safe Zone. But Aziz gets a desperate text from a girl who smiled at him before he got fired asking him to come and rescue her. He thinks he may be in with a chance to impress her so he has to give it a shot. Only trouble is their old office building is now zombie central.

This was a lot of fun.