The Last Film You Saw ~ Part 2

Chrissy

Watched What's Your Number last night, it was a bit rude, actually very rude in parts, but very funny and appealed to my very low grade sense of humour, don't judge me people! Another bonus was that I got to ogle Chris Evans of Captain America fame (phwoar!!!) :D Well, Steve is away for long stretches! :)

I saw that quite recently. It's actually pretty good.

I saw The Machinist the other day. I thought it was amazing!!! Very interesting and non-run-of the-mill psychological thriller. Christian Bale is excellent in it. Loved it!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I rewatched Love, Actually last night. Brilliant little film - sappy, yes, but also very feelgood. Well, mostly. Dunno why some people don't like it!

Love, Actually will be on TV here tomorrow night. Even though I have it on DVD, I'm looking forward to watching it on TV. I never get sick of it and can't imagine anyone not liking it!

Moonrise Kingdom, finally. Really good! Up to his usual standard, highly recommended, especially if you liked Royal Tenanbuams or his other films.

I bought the Moonrise Kingdom DVD over the weekend, Timstar. Lovely little film! Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors by far :)

I watched Anatomy of a Murder the other night (excellent!) and this weekend I'm hoping to see Lincoln. Gotta love Daniel Day Lewis!

Billy couldn't scare anyone if he tried, he's only dangerous in that he gets sooo excited he sometimes forgets his strength and hits his hard head on my shins!

:D Fun loving, pokey dogs rule!

I must look out some good doggy movies, so hard to find ones that aren't sad though!!

Speaking of which, I have a Finnish dog movie (where the dog actually has a big part in the movie), I could re-watch it during Christmas and then I could send it to you, if you like? It says on the DVD that there are English subtitles but I want to make sure. And it's a movie for the whole family, your kids could watch it with you :) If you're interested, PM me your details!

I watched The Talented Mr Ripley. Not a bad adaptation.

I had no idea you hadn't seen the movie. It's a pretty good one, yep!

I watched another movie yesterday, The Object of My Affection. 'twas okay. I think I might watch a movie tonight, too, I'm thinking I have a Renée Zellweger movie that might do the trick. Just checked it on imdb, and hello, another movie located in Minnesota :D Peacefield would be proud! :giggle2:

I had no idea you hadn't seen the movie. It's a pretty good one, yep!

I saw it once many years ago, but I remembered little of it (just that I was surprised by the level of violence in it). Having just finished reading the book, I had to watch the movie again to see how it would compare (not bad). I always bought the sequel, Ripley's Game, which has different actors, but I won't watch that until I've read the book. :)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (parts one and two) in one hit last night - first screening in Blu-Ray.

I do think they did a good job with these films, but the 19 years later bit on the end (as in the book) shouldn't be there, in my opinion.

I saw it once many years ago, but I remembered little of it (just that I was surprised by the level of violence in it). Having just finished reading the book, I had to watch the movie again to see how it would compare (not bad). I always bought the sequel, Ripley's Game, which has different actors, but I won't watch that until I've read the book. :)

How many of the sequels (of the book) do you have then? I've thought about reading at least the second title, too, to see if it's as good as the first. I think it's a novel that has surprised a few people on here in how good it was. :) I'll be looking forward to hearing how you like them!

I watched Misery last night. The years have done nothing to it, it's just as creepy and good as it used to be. Damn that Kathy Bates is brilliant! I should re-read the book soon, too.

I think I might watch a movie tonight, too, I'm thinking I have a Renée Zellweger movie that might do the trick. Just checked it on imdb, and hello, another movie located in Minnesota :D Peacefield would be proud! :giggle2:

Another movie located in MN? What other films have you been watching based here, Frankie?? The one with Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr? I think it's called New in Town? Pssttt I think I remember not quite enjoying that one, but you never know, you might fancy it! Just remember we don't ALL talk like we're from Fargo ;)

I half-watched Stranger Than Fiction last night while I was making banana bread. I own the DVD so have seen it dozens of times and it's still one of my favorites.

Another movie located in MN? What other films have you been watching based here, Frankie?? The one with Zellweger and Harry Connick Jr? I think it's called New in Town? Pssttt I think I remember not quite enjoying that one, but you never know, you might fancy it! Just remember we don't ALL talk like we're from Fargo

Remember I watched Fargo a year or two back? And I swear there have been some other movies after that. If I were to go back in this thread to read my notes or read my reading log, I could remember some other stuff. Oh, and Minnesota was featured in another thing I watched this week, but that was on TV and a true crime case :( There was a TV show about old murder cases and one of the two I watched was the Weepy-Voiced Killer, from the early 1980s.

Yep, New in Town it was! I like Renée Zellweger. Harry Connick Jr, I never knew his name, but when I started watching the movie I thought he seemed familiar. The beard threw me off, but I really liked it on him. It took me a while to place his face but then it hit me: Will & Grace, of course! I just IMDB'd him and found out he was also in Bug (a pretty disturbing movie!), but I don't remember him in it. But what's curious is that I watched Revolutionary Road a few days ago and wham, Michael Shannon was in it, and of course I remember him best from seeing Bug. Now, that man creeps the living F out of me!! :hide: (Because of his performance in Bug). He can act his ass off, I really, really admire him. He's a bit like that actor in Pet Sematary II and the James Bond movie, you know? The big, creepy, prominently jawed fella, you know?

When I watched the movie I was actually thinking about the accent and you. I think it was a bit like in Fargo, they really pushed the envelope with the talking, didn't they? I mean they got as hillbilly with the accent as they could get :D I did notice while the credits were rolling that there was someone who did the casting in Canada, and that was a bit odd because the movie takes place in the States? So I was wondering if they'd gone for actors who got the accent the fullest, and went really over board, pun intended :giggle2:

And don't worry, I won't think you all talk like that :D And also I know they were taking the hillbilly aspect very far with the characters, too, I promise I don't think you are all like that! Besides, you know how our climate is very much the same in the winter, so the lake getting frozen and people going on it with cars to do ice-fishing and whatnot was very familiar to me :D Although I have to say, we don't have those little booths you guys seem to have, at least in movies. We just go and stay out.

I have to also say, that when Renée's character first got out from the airport, to the wintery Minnesota, and was like Fuuuu it's cold, and ran back in, I thought that's probably what Kylie will do when she comes and visits me in Finland some day :lol:

Anyhow, I liked the movie. The people were really sweet and homey to me.

I half-watched Stranger Than Fiction last night while I was making banana bread. I own the DVD so have seen it dozens of times and it's still one of my favorites.

I also half-watched it the first time, about a year ago, but that was only because stupid digibox had not recorded the whole thing, and I was so gutted when it finished half way through, because I really liked it! It was so inspiring and creative, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is superb in that movie. And Will Ferrell is for once a serious character. Oh and Emma Thompson... Just an excellent, excellent movie!

I have watched a few films lately...Out of the Past (aka Build My Gallows High) with Robert Mitchum. Brilliant - but I do really enjoy watching Robert Mitchum in just about anything.

Also, As You Like It - Kenneth Branagh's adaptation from 2006, which I enjoyed a LOT!

And a few films which I have seen before...Force of Arms - one of my favourite films ever, starring one of my favourite actors, William Holden, Monkey Business - with Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers, and Singin' In The Rain. The last two were films that I watched on the plane to and from the USA. All three films are in my top ten films of all time :)

And OH and I watched Ted which was extremely funny, and it was great to watch the last bit which was filmed in Fenway Park - we did two tours of Fenway while we were in Boston, so it was nice to see and recognise the places on screen.

Edited by Ruth

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (parts one and two) in one hit last night - first screening in Blu-Ray.

I do think they did a good job with these films, but the 19 years later bit on the end (as in the book) shouldn't be there, in my opinion.

I feel the same...the Epilogue just shouldn't be there.

---

I just finished watching Four Lions. It was different than I had expected, thought it was quite good.

If nothing else, it ties hands if they want to made any more films (or Rowling wants to write any more books).

Definitely. Although I don't think I'd want more HP books anyway, I felt the ending was enough. And with the books if the Epilogue was okish, with the movies it just didn't fit at all.

^ Harry didn't fix his wand, either.

(That sounds totally wrong . . .).

:lol: There's a lot that can sound wrong in HP.

I put below under spoiler, mostly cause I've never used the feature before, but also cause I suppose it's a spoiler.

I thought he would die at the end of the books...for real. I was one of those people who would bet that he would die, because I thought it fit.

I have watched two movies half way through: Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (based on the play by Edward Albee which I read earlier this year and enjoyed), and A Single Man. The first one I've really enjoyed so far, I think it captures Albee's play wonderfully, but due to not having enough time I haven't been able to finish the movie. I started watching A Single Man yesterday and while I think it's okay, it was a bit too depressing and slow going for a Friday night :blush: Sorry, Colin Firth!

I bought the Moonrise Kingdom DVD over the weekend, Timstar. Lovely little film! Wes Anderson is one of my favorite directors by far :)

I watched Anatomy of a Murder the other night (excellent!) and this weekend I'm hoping to see Lincoln. Gotta love Daniel Day Lewis!

Also love Anderson, The Darjeeling Limited is still my favourite. I'm interesting in seeing Lincoln, let us know what you think of it.

Just watched Chronicle, I quite enjoyed it which I wasn't really expecting too, it started off quite slow and a bit annoying but the second half was much better and made great use of the 'found footage' subgenre. At only 80 mins I would recommended for a short evening film.

Just watched Chronicle, I quite enjoyed it which I wasn't really expecting too, it started off quite slow and a bit annoying but the second half was much better and made great use of the 'found footage' subgenre. At only 80 mins I would recommended for a short evening film.

Been wanting to watch Chronicle for ages now, my friend really enjoyed it and I thought the trailers were interesting enough. As for Lincoln I'm really excited to see that. I love Daniel Day Lewis and it's seemingly lined up for all sorts of awards.

Yes, I thought it was a pleasant surprise, too :smile: