Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 15

Janet

I am now on my 20th book for the year, which I know isn't that many compared to many people on here, but is a lot for me. I seem to be reading a lot more of late, getting through almost a book a week, which is good in many ways, although it is expensive. I will have to get that Kindle I keep promising myself!

I finished Joshilyn Jackson's Gods in Alabama then last night - it was one of those books that was recommended to me as one that others had bought when searching on Amazon. It lived up to the reviews with a twist ending that I definately did not see coming. I will look out for some of her other works. The next one though will be the new book by my favourite Icelandic author, Yrsa Sigurdadottir which is entitled The Day is Dark. It is about 2 Icelanders who go missing in Greenland, and if its anything like her previous 3 will be a superb read. I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances with Thora, the lead character, but do wish they would stop putting those awful stickers all over Yrsa's books stating that she is the Icelandic Stieg Larsson - her writing is nothing like his !

Edited by Talisman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next one though will be the new book by my favourite Icelandic author, Yrsa Sigurdadottir which is entitled The Day is Dark. It is about 2 Icelanders who go missing in Greenland, and if its anything like her previous 3 will be a superb read. I am looking forward to renewing acquaintances with Thora, the lead character, but do wish they would stop putting those awful stickers all over Yrsa's books stating that she is the Icelandic Stieg Larsson - her writing is nothing like his !

I read it a while ago and loved it, it inspired me to go and find out stuff about Greenland as even though I have always known about it I had never even thought about it as a country...if that makes any sense. I agree about the Stieg Larsson moniker though it is nothing like his books but they seem to be in the habit of doing that at the moment to sell more books.

Have been reading lots lately (light books that are easy to get through when kids are shouting and playing!) This morning I finished Stealing Phoenix by Joss Stirling, as good as the first in the series, so looking forward to the next! Have just picked out four books to take on holiday tomorrow, probably a little optimistic but I'd rather have too many than too few. :D

I read it a while ago and loved it, it inspired me to go and find out stuff about Greenland as even though I have always known about it I had never even thought about it as a country...if that makes any sense. I agree about the Stieg Larsson moniker though it is nothing like his books but they seem to be in the habit of doing that at the moment to sell more books.

No, that does make sense - a lot of people would probably say the same thing. I was lucky enough to have the chance to go to Greenland, although only for a day, when I visied Iceland for the 2nd or 3rd time (can't remmember which) in the early 90's. It was worth the cost and effort and some day I would like to go back for a proper look. One of the other books I read earlier this year was about 2 huys who did an unsupported journey across the Greenland icecap (The Long Haul by Alex Hibbert). I would highly recommend if if you have't already read it.

I'm really enjoying it so far, am going to pick it up again tonight so I might even get it finished tonight as its quite fast paced!

I'm off to look at Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms now, as it contains both the words 'Lists' and 'Bookworms!'

I took a look at the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge thread just now, now I know why you have a copy of the book :D I've sent them a request for myself and I'm now having a very difficult time choosing the 4 books in case they let me do the reviewing on here. Such a difficult time that I might not even be able to get Black Swan Rising, there are books that seem more interesting to me. And BSR is maybe a bit too fantastic for me.. Have fun finishing the book! :smile2:

Curious Lists is a great book, I'm enjoying dipping into it every night before going to sleep :wink:

My TBR 'pile' has just grown a bit ...

Fallen Idols by Neil White

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter

The Infidel by Bob Shepherd

The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro

The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman

Damn Amazon and their Kindle sale :mad::lol:

Add The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons to that list, although that one wasn't in the sale

Yay for big pile of books! I've heard a great deal about The Hunger Games, it's supposed to be really good, I want to read it myself some day. Enjoy :smile2:

Haven't been able to read for a couple of days, but have finally managed a couple of chapters today. Hoping that I'll read a bit more this afternoon.

I hope you got more reading done and mojo's back for good :empathy:

I finished A Man and His Dog today and started reading The Dog Who Rescues Cats by Philip Gonzalez and Leonore Fleischer. Seems like a really enjoyable read.

Yay for big pile of books! I've heard a great deal about The Hunger Games, it's supposed to be really good, I want to read it myself some day. Enjoy :smile2:

Thanks - it was only £1.99 so I didn't think I could lose, really :)

Now reading Emphyrio by Jack Vance - another one where I spent the first few pages thinking I wasn't going to like it, and then it really took off :)

My TBR 'pile' has just grown a bit ...

Fallen Idols by Neil White

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter

The Infidel by Bob Shepherd

The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro

The Bones of Avalon by Phil Rickman

Damn Amazon and their Kindle sale :mad::lol:

Add The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons to that list, although that one wasn't in the sale :rolleyes:

I highly recommend The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo del Toro

Have also started reading Literary Trivia - Over 300 Curious Lists for Bookworms by Aubrey Malone (thanks Kylie! :smile2:)

You're welcome!

My book activity these days comprises reading (and rereading) documents for editing. It doesn't leave much time for reading for relaxation, but I'm still managing to get through Reading Lolita in Tehran. I think I'm nearly halfway through it.

Edited by Kylie

I'm now a few chapters into Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky, which looks like it's going to be a very enjoyable read.

That's on my TBR pile so will look forward to hearing what you think of it Roland.

I've just finished a great book called Russian Winter - a novel about a prima ballerina in the Bolshoi during the Stalin years. I'm now starting on 1066 - The Aftermath which is looking to be quite exciting.

I took a look at the Transworld Book Group Reading Challenge thread just now, now I know why you have a copy of the book :D I've sent them a request for myself and I'm now having a very difficult time choosing the 4 books in case they let me do the reviewing on here. Such a difficult time that I might not even be able to get Black Swan Rising, there are books that seem more interesting to me. And BSR is maybe a bit too fantastic for me.. Have fun finishing the book! :smile2:

Curious Lists is a great book, I'm enjoying dipping into it every night before going to sleep :wink:

This was one of the ones that I had to think about, but I'm glad that I picked it! The hardest thing for me was picking the 4 books, and I have another 4 or so on my wishlist now too!

Each to their own with the book choices though, I've not seen two lists that are the same yet!

Curious Lists does look like a book to put on the shelf and dip in and out of!

I'm now a few chapters into Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky, which looks like it's going to be a very enjoyable read.

Hope you enjoy all of it, I thought it was excellent, and I've read another of her books since which I enjoyed even more, and intend to read some of the others in the future too. :)

my amazon order arrived a day early :D

I received:

Before I go to Sleep-S.J. Watson

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children-Ransom Riggs

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea-Barbara Demick

also picked up The Seance-John Harwood at B&N this evening

and managed to finally put a small dent in A Discovery of Witches