Charm's Choices ~ 2011

Charm

Thanks for the extra input, guys. I am going to wait until after the school holidays (I think) in case I need to spend any extra money, but I've decided I'm definitely going for it - the £111 jobby (£99.90 from Tesco with staff discount) and a cover to go with it. :D

Yay! Good for you. :D Can't wait to see how you get on with it and if you contract the kindilitis disease! Beware, there's no known cure .. :giggle2:

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan

Dark Prince

Synopsis

Raven Whitney is a psychic who has used her gift to help the police track down a serial killer. Now she is determined to escape the glare of recent publicity for the peace and quiet of the Carpathian Mountains. Despite her own emotional fatigue, Raven finds herself connecting psychically to another wounded individual somewhere close by. Prince Mikhail Dubrinsky is the leader of his people but, as his ancient Carpathian race grows ever closer to extinction, he is close to giving in to the heavy weight of loneliness and despair. Then a female voice enters his mind and tries to console him. Intrigued, Mikhail becomes obsessed with finding this unusual human female. From the moment their minds touch, Raven and Mikhail form a connection. But there are those who incorrectly view all Carpathians as vampires, and are determined to give their extinction a helping hand ..

This is the first in a rather large adult series about vampires. It's set in the Carpathian mountains making the general atmosphere of the book dark and gothic. Each book concentrates on one main character from a large family of vampires and how they find their mate. I liked the characters in this installment and enjoyed reading about their relationship, even though Prince Mikhail was rather dominating, the character of Raven still remained strong. The storyline was interesting with plenty of action which kept it moving on nicely. The start of a great little series that I will definitely continue with.

8/10

Dark Desire

Synopsis

Seven years ago, Dr Shea O'Halloran experienced an unexpected and horrendous pain unlike anything she had ever known. It felt as if she were being tortured. Eventually the pain disappeared, but Shea never forgot. She has since devoted her life to trying to understand the cause of the rare genetic blood disorder that is slowly killing her. The answers to some of Shea's questions start to reveal themselves when she is approached by two men, who accuse her of being a vampire. Shea runs for her life and - following a feeling she can't explain - her desperate wanderings lead her to Romania. The ancient one known as Jacques Dubrinsky can explain. Seven years ago, Jacques was captured, tortured and buried alive by several humans and a Carpathian betrayer. The years of extreme pain and lack of sustenance that followed have nearly driven Jacques insane. He has been using what is left of his powers to psychically draw Shea to the region. But is Shea to be his healeror his prey?

Dark Desire wasn't just as good as the first book for me. I think it was because I didn't really like the main characters as much. Still a good storyline continuing on from the first book and I still ended up enjoying it.

7/10

Dark Gold

Synopsis

Alexandria Houton will sacrifice anything to protect her little brother. But when they both encounter an unspeakable evil in the swirling San Francisco mists, Alex can only pray for their deliverance...And out of the darkness swoops Aidan Savage, a being more powerful and more mysterious than any other creature of the night. This ageless Carpathian male has saved them both from a hideous fate. But is Aidan truly Alexandria's salvation...or her ultimate betrayer? And if she surrenders to Aidan's savage, unearthly seduction is Alexandria in danger of sacrificing more than her life?

This book moves the scene from the Carpathians to San Francisco, which kinda takes the gothic element out of it. I liked the characters of Aiden and Alex though and am lookin g forward to seeing if they pop up in future books. This has been my favourite so far.

9/10

Please note! These books contain expicit sex scenes and are most definitely NOT young adult! :blush:

Moon Trilogy by C L Bevill

Black Moon

Synopsis

Donovan is a werejaguar sworn to fight against his enemies, the dreaded werewolf clan - the Whitelaws. Isabella is an uncommon librarian, a member of the Committee. When she faces down the Whitelaws to retrieve a very dangerous book, she encounters Donovan and their lives will never be the same.

This is a novella of about 13,000 words and the first book in the Moon Trilogy, and was a quick little read. The storyline is based around 3 artifacts which, when brought together can give the owner the power to destroy the world, this book concentrates on the first artifact. The characters are likeable and author has packed quite a bit into such few words, making the story interesting and readable. Not a bad start to this series.

6/10

Amber Moon

Synopsis

Mirie has been sent to watch a handsome elvish prince because he's alleged to have the mysterious Eyes of the Amber Moon, an artifact that can destroy the world. Instead she becomes embroiled in elvish politics and has to guard for her life, even while she attempts to discover who she really is.

This is a novella of about 23,000 words and part 2 of a trilogy, concentrating on the second artifact. The series is progressing nicely and this installment was even better than the first. We know the background of the story now and it was nice to see other characters emerge and read how they are all connected. Another short but enjoyable read.

7/10

Silver Moon

Synopsis

Jack Drake must discover what the secretive third part of the moon relic is and destroy it before it can be used to decimate the world. The equally mysterious Asta is hot on Jack’s tail, eager to gain his trust and find the Silver Moon’s Mystery. Together the pair must endure a trial of fire, dragons, and werewolves to stop the enigmatic Elijah Whitelaw from carrying out the blackest of Unseelie Fae magicks.

This is a novella of about 19,000 words and is the third part of a trilogy. Concentrating on the final artifact, this book has been my favourite so far. We already know most of the characters and it was great to see them all work together. I love the character of Asta and really enjoyed how her relationship with Jack developed. My only complaint is the books aren't long enough and if developed more could be a fantastic series.

8/10

Note: Contains scenes of a sexual nature :blush:

Ignore me, I'm not really here, and I'm not adding any more books to my wishlist. :lurker:

Glad you're enjoying your reading Charm. I downloaded some free books by Autumn Dawn today and I noticed you have one of her books on your TBR list - have you read any of hers before?

Edited by chesilbeach

Ignore me, I'm not really here, and I'm not adding any more books to my wishlist. :lurker:

Glad you're enjoying your reading Charm. I downloaded some free books by Autumn Dawn today and I noticed you have one of her books on your TBR list - have you read any of hers before?

:haha: I seeeee youuuuuuu!

I don't think you'd like the Carpathian series Chesil, it's very like the JR Ward books and I know you weren't overly keen on them. The Moon Trilogy short stories isn't too bad, although I think you'd prefer 2 & 3 ;)

I have a couple more Autumn Dawn books now, the ones I have are The Charmer, Scent of Danger and The Golden Bell but I haven't read any yet. I will be be posting another review of books I think you would really enjoy though :D (I haven't finished yet ;) )

Edited by Charm

Vampires Realm Series by F E Heaton

Prophecy: Child Of Light

Synopsis

A vampire unlike any other, Prophecy lives life in the dark until the night she encounters Valentine, a gorgeous vampire who is both her enemy and the man who will change her life forever.Convinced that the prophecy about her is wrong and unable to ignore the vision of them that he saw in her blood, Valentine goes against his orders to execute Prophecy and kidnaps her instead. The attraction between them grows as they search for the truth behind the prophecy, battle a dark evil that threatens to destroy the world, and attempt to evade their families and the Law Keepers.When the truth about her is revealed, will Prophecy be strong enough to face it? Will they discover a way to save the world from Hell? And will they finally see past the hatred bred into them by their families and surrender to their love?

The first novel in the Vampires Realm series, Prophecy: Child of Light is part one in an epic tale of love and war that is sure to capture your heart and leave you craving more.

I read this quite a while ago but didn't want to write about it until I had read the next 2 installments in the trilogy, which I have now done. I found this little gem at a very cheap price on Amazon kindle store and was hooked from the very beginning. It is well written with a modern gothic atmosphere which I adore, the storyline also takes the characters throughout historic Europe as they follow the trail in search of the prophecy and the answers they need to help them.

The two main characters of Prophecy and Valentine are well thought out with plenty of back history to make them both interesting and believable. There are of course plenty of nasty characters who pop up regularly and help to keep the storyline action packed and exciting. This is a series full of vampires, werewolves, demons and magic with a touch of adult content thrown in. Highly recommended!

10/10

Prophecy: Caelestis & Aurorea

Synopsis

The final battle draws closer. Prophecy's world becomes darker and more dangerous, pushing her to the limit and testing her strength and her heart, almost breaking her. Old friends turn their backs, leaving her to fight with the help of an unlikely ally and forcing her to call on the devastatingly seductive and powerful Lord Hyperion for assistance. Struggling to rescue Valentine from the malicious hands of her blood brother, Arkalus and the lord of Aurorea, Kalinor, Prophecy discovers just how powerful she is and how far people will go to stop her from fulfilling her destiny. Lives are lost, battles are won, and the scroll foretelling the prophecy is finally completed, but nothing can prepare them for what lies ahead.

When her visions show her the path that must be taken, will Prophecy be able to do what is necessary? Are Prophecy and Valentine ready to command the power they'd never thought would be theirs? And are they strong enough to fight the evil of their true enemy? Following on from Prophecy: Child of Light, the tension rises and love grows in Prophecy: Caelestis & Aurorea, a thrilling second part to this story that draws you into a dark, dangerous world of vampires, magic and the war to end all wars.

The second in this series just sees the adventure get better and better. Prophecy is starting to learn to control her magic better, but she receives help from an unlikely source to complete her mission, this however adds to the anguish she feels in her heart where her love is concerned. Another exciting, fast paced, roller coaster of a read which introduces even more intriguing characters to the mix, again while travelling across Europe.

Again I was totally engrossed in this book and couldn't put it down until I had read every last page.

10/10

Prophecy: Dark Moon Rising

Synopsis

An enemy with unimaginable power and bloodlines with centuries of hatred bred into them, two things that threaten to tear Prophecy and Valentine apart as they fight for their lives and their future together. Their vain attempt to join their houses into one army drains the last of their strength, leaving them more vulnerable than they've ever been. The tension escalates between the bloodlines, and, more dangerously, between Valentine, Prophecy and Venturi. As everything crumbles around them, defeat seems inevitable.

In one decisive move, their enemy turns the tables against them, taking what is most important to Prophecy and leaving her to fear that the terrifying visions she's been having are coming true. An enemy becomes a friend, guiding her in her time of need, and a friend becomes an enemy. Death, destruction and danger surround her, but the help of an old ally brings her the army she needs and the dark moon brings her the power to fight the legions of Hell.

When the time comes, will Prophecy be able to do what's necessary or will the sacrifice she must make be too painful to go through with? Does she have the strength to stop Hell from being unleashed into the world and save the ones she loves at the same time?The dramatic conclusion to the Prophecy story, Prophecy: Dark Moon Rising is a gripping tale of love and war that will take hold of you, set your heart racing and not let you go until the very last page.

The final installment in this exciting trilogy brings to the fore the prophecy at last. Prophecy has come into her own, with the control of her magic and those she loves around her, she prepares to battle a deadly and powerful enemy who wants to bring hell to earth. However, nothing is ever that easy and this thrilling read brings together the adrenaline rush of battle and the emotional highs and lows. A fantastic conclusion to an epic story!

If you're a fan of gothic style, supernatural books you should enjoy this trilogy.

10/10

NB: Be aware, contains adult sexual scenes ;)

Can you post the names, so others know to avoid? :)

Anyway, I was just popping in to say I'm half way through Black Swan Rising, and I think you'd LOVE it! :)

Oh now that's what I like to hear! I will keep an eye out for your review :D

I will make a note to post the names of those others, you're right, it would warn others :)

All I can say is :P

pops of to download stuff onto kindle quietly ..........shhhhhhhhhhhhh charm will do a victory dance if she see's me

Hah!! I can see and hear you!!!!

:boogie::boogie: :boogie: :boogie::giggle:

Ok, these are some books I've read which I don't recommend.

R Martin - The Laws of Wicca: The Guide to Wiccan Laws, Practices & Principles - Long winded and boring 1/10

Reena Jacobs - Control Freak - Total utter drivel 0/10

Ciana Stone - All in Time - I only finished it cause it was so short 2/10

Edited by Charm

• 2 weeks later...

I accidently .... *ahem* ... added 7 more books to my TBR pile :unsure:

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called

Patricia Briggs - Blood Bound

Patricia Briggs - Iron Kissed

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking

Kim Harrison - Every Which Way But Dead

Kim Harrison - A Fistful of Charms

Kim Harrison - Where Demons Dare

Now how did that happen I wonder?! :o

I accidently .... *ahem* ... added 7 more books to my TBR pile :unsure:

Patricia Briggs - Moon Called

Patricia Briggs - Blood Bound

Patricia Briggs - Iron Kissed

Kim Harrison - Dead Witch Walking

Kim Harrison - Every Which Way But Dead

Kim Harrison - A Fistful of Charms

Kim Harrison - Where Demons Dare

Now how did that happen I wonder?! :o

HA!! she can't tempt me this time I have read all of these :P

YAY for the Patricia Briggs books! :D They're the ones I've read so far and I loved all three.

I was at the checkout of The Works, getting art stuff for my daughter, when I spied these under a table at the bottom of a huge pile. I had to hold up the queue while I got the shop asstant to climb under the table and rescue them for me, 3 for a fiver! :D Of course when we were leaving I spied the Kim Harrison ones too and had to go back for them ;)

HA!! she can't tempt me this time I have read all of these :P

Pah! I know you have, so has Chesil. :irked: Don't you worry, I haven't done my Tess Gerritsen review yet :D *rubs hands evily*

Pah! I know you have, so has Chesil. :irked: Don't you worry, I haven't done my Tess Gerritsen review yet :D *rubs hands evily*

I haven't read the Patricia Briggs books, but they are on my wishlist already thanks to pickle.

I may be lining up a couple of reviews you might like though - one book I finished yesterday and one I've started today which is very promising so far :D

Fortunately, I don't like the crime books, so I won't be tempted by the Tess Gerritsen reviews :P

I haven't read the Patricia Briggs books, but they are on my wishlist already thanks to pickle.

I may be lining up a couple of reviews you might like though - one book I finished yesterday and one I've started today which is very promising so far :D

Fortunately, I don't like the crime books, so I won't be tempted by the Tess Gerritsen reviews :P

:o I thought you had read Patricia Briggs, in fact it was both you and pickle I thought of when buying them. Oh well, I'll shall make sure and let you know what I think, especially if they're good ;):giggle:

Shame you don't like crime books, you're missing out on some cracking reads :(

Tess Gerritsen is on my wishlist...and I will be getting it soon......(very soon)

I have just been reading G A Aiken - Dragin books about 4 of them so far with a 5 being released in Sept, I am pretty sure you will like them, they are quite funny but with a certain amount of adult content......I do like the female characters they are quite feisty...will add onto my book list eventually.

Tess Gerritsen is on my wishlist...and I will be getting it soon......(very soon)

I have just been reading G A Aiken - Dragin books about 4 of them so far with a 5 being released in Sept, I am pretty sure you will like them, they are quite funny but with a certain amount of adult content......I do like the female characters they are quite feisty...will add onto my book list eventually.

Oh my, these sound interesting! I'll keep an eye out for your book blog update ;) ... and there was me thinking I was doing well striking 7 books off my wishlist ... I really should know better by now :rolleyes:

Ha ha I have just realised its The Killing Place you are reading by Tess Gerritsen although I am assuming you have read it now? I have already read that one a great series I am contemplating getting the new one The Silent Girl....my fingers are hovering over the buy button on Amazon...I am reading far to much at the moment.

Well at least it's keeping your mojo happy, Charm - look at all these books you're devouring!

It's the most I've read in a year so far, I'm a happy bunny! :D

Ha ha I have just realised its The Killing Place you are reading by Tess Gerritsen although I am assuming you have read it now? I have already read that one a great series I am contemplating getting the new one The Silent Girl....my fingers are hovering over the buy button on Amazon...I am reading far to much at the moment.

Yeah, I finished it yesterday. I so want to get The Silent Girl too, but am gonna wait for it on paperback to match the rest of the series ;) Push that button hun, you know you want to :giggle2: Besides, you can never read too much!

I'm reading Blood Vines by Erica Spindler, have you read any by her?

Yeah, I finished it yesterday. I so want to get The Silent Girl too, but am gonna wait for it on paperback to match the rest of the series ;) Push that button hun, you know you want to :giggle2: Besides, you can never read too much!

I'm reading Blood Vines by Erica Spindler, have you read any by her?

I am tempted but I have spent so much recently....I have read quite a few Erica Spindler including Blood Vines not her best IMO a bit weak I prefer some of her earlier ones.

I am tempted but I have spent so much recently....I have read quite a few Erica Spindler including Blood Vines not her best IMO a bit weak I prefer some of her earlier ones.

I've only read 3 chapters so it's early days yet, Cause For Alarm has been my favourite so far along with In Silence, which reminded me of Karin Slaughter books.