Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

12) 'Cuckoo' by Julia Crouch (BOOK RING ~SIGN UP NOW!)

I started reading 'Cuckoo' last night, just a few chapters. I picked the book up again at 6 o'clock this morning. It is now just after nine thirty, and I have just finished the book. Phew, I've got one hell of a headache! :lol:

Gripping doesn't quite do it justice. My jaw aches from the tension I held in it as I read this brilliant book. You think you know what is happening, and you kind of do but with a twisty uncomfortable hint of misdirection. Everything is undercurrent yet the picture and story you are left with feel so thorough and so well described you imagine that the text must have been heavy and deep in description and signposts when it really wasn't. Great story telling.

Subtlety, nuance, creepy creepy sickly realisation, a shared dark past are all here, yet somehow this is a very basic human story that speaks of maternal love, both it's depth to some and it's absence in others. It speaks of the special kind of loneliness that one can experience within a relationship. It speaks of loyalties, desires and resentments, long held and made stagnant.

I had to know what happened here, thank goodness I didn't have to be in work until lunchtime today ~ I'd never have made it in!

ETA DESPITE ENJOYING MY THURSDAY NEXT RE-READ, I SEEM TO BE ON A PATH AWAY FROM THEM. I'M LETTING MY MOJO GUIDE ME, SO THURSDAY WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT!

Chrissy, your great review and Michelle's great review make want to read this book as soon as possible :)

13) 'Something Rotten' by Jasper Fforde

The continuing saga of Thursday Next, recently returned from the world of books to the outside world with 2 year old Friday Next, and without Landen. Religion, (un)Saintly revealments, crocquet, a meandering Hamlet, world domination and an array of assasination attempts all combine to make another swipe at one's sense of self and reality! :D

Great stuff indeed.

I enjoyed 'Something Rotten' too :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14) 'First Among Sequels' by Jasper Fforde

I had a strange sensation when reading this book, as I barely remembered any of it. I kind of knew what was what, but there were a range of surprises in it for me too. Is my book memory that bad? Not sure I can answer that. Love, love, loved this book, as with all of this exceptional series. Thursday's integrity, her intense yet ordinary relationship with Landen, her undercover bookcover activities via Acme carpets. Within the books it's the introduction of her Book World selves, and the ensuing problems. Goliath are naturally a continuing enemy. Such clever, clever and delightful writing.

15) 'One Of Our Thursdays Is Missing' by Jasper Fforde

An intelligent, imaginative and brain slapping read, this 6th TN adventure developed Book World until it felt more real to me than this Outland of ours! I enjoyed reading it, but felt it stood sllightly to one side of the series as a whole.

I HAVE SPOILERED THE FOLLOWING PLEASE DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE ANY INTENTION OF READING THIS BOOK!

I missed Thursday. However appealing and well developed T5 was, she wasn't a strong enough replacement for me, and I spent most of the book waiting for the Thursday I have come to adore to arrive. This meant that for me the book had something lacking, despite being in so many ways a well written and compelling at times read. I also felt that if I was not to have Thursday, I wanted the 'comfort' of time spent with the other characters that have been so fabulously depicted in the pages of the series. There was too little of the Outland characters, and too little of the Book World characters that we know and have a connection with

I will say this though; The map is a joy, as is Mrs Malaprop and Sprocket. You will never think of walking in the same way again, and you will say say "Awww, bless!" when you read what The Lady of Shalott tries to do. You will also discover the meaning of compassion and the hardship a backstory can cause. :wink: Enjoy.

Chrissy, you have summed up my feelings completely on One of our Thursdays is Missing - I decided not to put it in a spoiler quote as I know some people can't resist even if they know they should - but I agree with absolutely everything you've said!

• 2 weeks later...

16) Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

What a brilliant book! So very clever and a wonderful look at an alternative London.

Under the streets of London there's a place most people could never even dream of. A city of monsters and saints, murderers and angels, knights in armour and pale girls in black velvet. This is th city of the people who have fallen between the cracks.

I was gripped from the first page with this evocative and imaginative tale. if you like you books to be clever, quirky and compelling you MUST read 'Neverwhere'.

What a brilliant book! So very clever and a wonderful look at an alternative London.

I was gripped from the first page with this evocative and imaginative tale. if you like you books to be clever, quirky and compelling you MUST read 'Neverwhere'.

I take it you liked this one then Chrissy? :giggle2:

I think I'll add it to my wishlist, I've only read The Graveyard Book by him, but thoroughly enjoyed it ;)

Great review Chrissy :) I couldn't agree with you more, it's definitely my favourite Gaiman and among the top 20 of my favourite books ever .. it's also one of the few books that my hubby picked up and read after I'd finished with it. He finished it in no time which was a great testament to it because he is sometimes a bit of a plodder when it comes to reading and what's more he absolutely loved it.

*sighs* I wish I had Neil Gaiman's brain.

If I had it I'd keep it in a big pickling jar inside a beautiful antique birdcage! :lol:

if I had it I would keep it as far away as possble from the one labelled A. B. Normal just so I don't get them mixed up when creating my monster :D

Glad you enjoyed the book it is brilliant like all his books.

I am so pleased you enjoyed 'Neverwhere' Chrissy, it is very cool :)

17) 'House Of Silence' by Linda Gillard

(How is it possible that a writer of Linda's calibre struggles to get published? Why are they not clamouring at her door to bid for her shopping list, let alone her books? It baffles me.)

Houses are rarely silent forever, their bricks, mortar and timber ultimately creak with truths and lies and half truths. Mystery, emotion and the unravelling of a family are brought together beautifully in this intricate and perfectly paced story that speaks of how the very best intentions can lead us to punish all those around us, and how redemption can be found through the simplest of acts.

All families have secrets don’t they? Gwen has known tragedy and hurt yet she holds her past as an open book, unwilling to pretty the uncomfortable truths of it away. With Alfie and the family Gwen is about to meet, it is a completely different story.

You know from early on in the book that things aren’t quite what they appear to be and the ghosts from the past of each sit waiting to be called upon. Nothing is ever black and white in a Linda Gillard book, with the heroes and villains never quite as heroic nor villainous as they first appear, and ‘House Of Silence’ is no exception.

These are characters that you not only come to like, but you come to understand their complexities and their motivations. You are compelled to read on from those early pages because the characters draw you in almost instantly. I needed to know how this would unfold. I had a vested emotional interest in them. They became so vivid in my mind I was dreaming of them last night. I think they may haunt my dreams tonight too, especially now I know their secrets.

Thank you for this great review, Chrissy.

I wanted to read this anyway, as I loved Emotional Geology so much, and after reading your review I know I would love it.

I do so hope it comes out in paper format. I usually only buy paperbacks, but I would even get this one in hardcover if I had to.

I already have Linda's other three books on my shelf, and I would love to add this one. :)

• 2 weeks later...

18) 'City of Fallen Angels' by Cassandra Clare

I had meant to read a different book, but this was the one that grabbed my interest, so onward I read. This book is set once again in New York, a few months after the climatic events of 'City Of Glass'. I enjoyed that the focus stayed mainly with Simon, with Jace and Clary taking an intense but quieter back seat until near the close.

It would have been easy for CC to make this series a kind of 'The Adverntures Of Jace & Clary', but she hasn't and is allowing the stories of the other characters to develop and gain greater depth. All the characters we have met until now are here, with a few new but very old ones thrown in for good measure. If you have enjoyed the previous three books, you will enjoy this one and will be left just a tad anxious for the publication of the next Mortal Instruments tale.

• 2 weeks later...

19) Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

This is one of the (many) books I had recently downloaded to my Kindle and was a great holiday read. A young adult book that tells the story of Sky a young girl with a traumatic but forgotten past who moves to the US with her adoptive parents. She meets the local bad boy with his own secrets and this supernatural / fantasy reveals a new twist on the girl-meets-boy scenario. Worth reading if you enjoy a story with well drawn characters and an intriguing plot.

20) Aberystwyth Mon Amour by Malcolm Pryce

Local school children are missing and presumed dead, the local druid mafia claim no knowledge, meanwhile the local femme fatale breathily asks for PI Louie's help. This is a black comedy that takes the reader through legend, mayan tea cosies, a far flung location that was once in conflict, and many people of dubious background.

Having stayed away from Malcolm Pryce because he was always recommended to Jasper Fforde readers (yes, I get perversely stubborn about these things), I wish I hadn't. I have always been partial to Raymond Chandler and the pulp/hard boiled novel, and the character of Louie Knight is a homage of Welsh origin to this genre. Quirky, original, funny and at times deeply moving I am certain to read more Mr Pryce.

Hi Chrissy - I've read both City of Fallen Angels and Finding Sky in the last week as well, and agree with you on them both!

But, I can't agree about Aberystwyth Mon Amour, which I didn't really get on with at all. I read it a couple of years ago, but I think I'd set it up too highly in my own expectations, and it fell flat. I was hoping it would do for the detective story what The Eyre Affair did for the classics, but I struggled to find a sense of the period it was set in, and the surreal elements grated on me. Ah well, we can't all like the same books, eh? ;)

It may well have helped that I was in Wales at the time of reading, so I read it with the accent surrounding me. :lol: I had avoided the series for so long because it was always recommended to Jasper Fforde readers and I just thought "Uh oh, that'll be a dud." but thought I would give it a try when I saw it so cheap for the Kindle. I was tired from castle yomping and slipped into the story really easily each time I picked up my kindle to read. It is a totally absurd read, but I liked it.

I've been meaning to read Neverwhere for a while now, as I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's American Gods and I love his style of writing. I also enjoyed the collaboration he did with Terry Pratchett with Good Omens. In any case, hope you're having a good day and it's good to see you're reading some great books.

Thanks Ben, I would recommend 'Neverwhere' with it's perfect amount if intrigue and creepiness. Strangely enough 'American Gods' is calling me for a read, so that may well be my next book! :D

21) 'The Declaration' by Gemma Malley

I occasionally stil hear people mutter about the quality of YA fiction (no-one on here, as we all know better), and all I can do is reel off a long (and ever increasing) list of some of the fabulous YA books I have read in recent years. I am loathe to even point out that they are YA, as it really has made zero difference to the exceptional quality of plot, characterisation, description or the level of (wait for my new word......) unputdownableness!

The Declaration is up there with the best of these. In a world where ageing and dying are no longer inevitable, but where resources are now stretched beyond capacity, those selfish enough to bring new life into the world must sign 'the declaration' that will give them the right to have children, but no rights to an unageing and unending existence. Those found to exist when the declaration has not been signed are considered 'surplus'. Anna is a Surplus. She lives in a home where she is taught to know her place, to know she was not and isn't wanted by the world in which she lives. Her sole purpose therefore is to be as inconspicuous and as useful as possible. These are lessons that Anna has learned well, until one day a boy arrives at the home, a boy who carries questions and demands and possibly hope with him.

The story unfolds alongside your mounting sense of horror at the central premise. The characters and scenes are so well depicted that I instantly 'saw' them in my mind, I could smell the place, I could touch the roughness of the walls, feel the meagre cover of the blankets, feel the sorry sorry hopelessness of these poor children. It hurt to read it times, but I had to know what happened next, I had to know how it would turn out. This book should be better known, this book should be read.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, a slow mojo is making reading a bit tricky right now. I am quietly reading 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman to refresh my mind on the story for the Reading Circle.

Meanwhile, I will be 'doing' the list that Frankie has shared with us all. It's the first of the month, so what better day to start?

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

Day 03 – Your favourite series

Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series

Day 05 – A book that makes you happy

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

Day 07 – Most underrated book

Day 08 – Most overrated book

Day 09 – A book you thought you wouldn’t like but ended up loving

Day 10 – Favourite classic book

Day 11 – A book you hated

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore

Day 13 – Your favourite writer

Day 14 – Favourite book of your favourite writer

Day 15 – Favourite male character

Day 16 – Favourite female character

Day 17 – Favourite quote from your favourite book

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

Day 26 – A book that changed your opinion about something

Day 27 – The most surprising plot twist or ending

Day 28 – Favourite title

Day 29 – A book everyone hated but you liked

Day 30 – Your favourite book of all time "

Day 01 ~ Best book you read last year

I wasn't keeping note of last year's reading, but the stand out book for me was Sebastian Fitzek's 'Therapy'. A stunning, startling and unsettling rollercoaster of a read that thrilled me. I had no clue to as to what was going on through most of the book, but the writing kept me reading on with relish. This is the madness of fatherhood when a child is lost. Even a year later, the book still holds me.

Day 01 ~ Best book you read last year

I wasn't keeping note of last year's reading, but the stand out book for me was Sebastian Fitzek's 'Therapy'. A stunning, startling and unsettling rollercoaster of a read that thrilled me. I had no clue to as to what was going on through most of the book, but the writing kept me reading on with relish. This is the madness of fatherhood when a child is lost. Even a year later, the book still holds me.

'Therapy' sounds excellent Chrissy, I have added it to my wishlist :)

Day 2 ~ A book that you have read more than 3 times

This was tricky as there are quite a few, so I will just have to name a few!

Marge Piercy's 'Gone To Soldiers'

Anthony Burgess's 'Earthly Powers'

Carol O'Connell's 'Judas Child'

Audrey Niffenegger's 'The Time Traveler's Wife'

And this is aside from book series that I have run through a few times, such as Phillip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials', JK Rowling's 'Harry Potter and the...'

Day 3 ~ Favourite series

Another tricky one to answer with just one answer, especially in my favoured genre of crime fiction, but one series that kept popping back into my mind when I came to answer this one is Carol O'Connell's Mallory series of books. Carol O'Connell is an exceptional writer. Her characters are so well drawn it hurts, and the stories themselves are thrilling, intelligent and brought to a close with brilliant conclusions.

Notable mentions;

Jasper Fforde, Terry Pratchett, Peter Robinson, Manda Scott, Val McDermid, Jeffrey Deaver, James Clavell & Karin Slaughter. :cool: