Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5) 'The Clockwork Angel'

I became quickly engrossed in this story that starts a series of 'prequels' to Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series of books.

Victorian London; we have fighting, parties of dubious repute, a girl with very special powers, and the usual collection of fiesty females and mysterious males ~ what more could you want from a story? I could almost smell the River Thames emanating from the pages. Between the supernatural elements and the action I loved the way the book tackles the incredibly complex concepts of what defines a person, from the outside, and from the inside. A book worth reading on many levels.

Another great review :) I have this one on my TBR pile :)

Kylie, as in you. :P Who else could I mean? :lol:

giggle.gif It just took me by surprise. I'm not sure that I could be a literary detective. I have a lot more reading to do first! But I wouldn't mind having a dodo plocking around my house all day. :)

Thank you very much for the compliment though. smile2.gif

I think you share some of Thursday's qualities (I reckon you would kick the bad guy's butts and still fit in a good read) , and add those to her literary leaning and an Aussie TN you are! :lol:

I feel so cool right now. cool.gif Thanks Chrissy (and Weave, for backing Chrissy up!)

7) 'Lost In A Good Book' by Jasper Fforde

I think this re read is wonderful. Instead of the whizz through of dazzled synapses of the first reading I have been able to relax into the story being told and just truly enjoy the words, without having to take on board the fabulously original concepts being thrust at me. Chronoguard and time travelling concepts? Got it down. The notion of book travelling and JurisFiction? Doddle to understand.

'Lost In A Good Book' takes the story of Thursday Next from her days merely working as a Literary Detective with occasional outings with other Spec Ops departments and follows her as she becomes apprenticed as a PRO ( Prose Resource Operative). Things have changed professionally and personally for Thursday, but she keeps soldiering on. What a gal!

As a quote on the cover says " Don't ask. Just read it. Fforde is a true original'. Couldn't agree more. :D

7) 'Lost In A Good Book' by Jasper Fforde

I think this re read is wonderful. Instead of the whizz through of dazzled synapses of the first reading I have been able to relax into the story being told and just truly enjoy the words, without having to take on board the fabulously original concepts being thrust at me. Chronoguard and time travelling concepts? Got it down. The notion of book travelling and JurisFiction? Doddle to understand.

'Lost In A Good Book' takes the story of Thursday Next from her days merely working as a Literary Detective with occasional outings with other Spec Ops departments and follows her as she becomes apprenticed as a PRO ( Prose Resource Operative). Things have changed professionally and personally for Thursday, but she keeps soldiering on. What a gal!

As a quote on the cover says " Don't ask. Just read it. Fforde is a true original'. Couldn't agree more. :D

Great quote hen, I'm glad you are enjoying your re~reads :)

Great review Chrissy, couldn't agree with you more .. Jasper's a genius and Thursday's just remarkable .. I want to be her.

You and me both! :D

I am enjoying my re read so very much, I just wish that the rest of the world would just disappear for a day or two so that I could stay in the books until I'm done. :blush:

You and me both! :D

I am enjoying my re read so very much, I just wish that the rest of the world would just disappear for a day or two so that I could stay in the books until I'm done. :blush:

That would be lovely Chrissy, I'm almost finished 'Shades of Grey' and so tempted to re~read the Thursday Next books (apologies if I have said that before :blush: ) :)

I have got 'Shades Of Grey' on the shelf. I'm not sure when I'll read it though, as I am taking the very scientific approach to my reading this year, and 100% letting the mojo vibe guide me. :lol: It seems to be working for me so far!

I can thoroughly recommend a re read of the TN series though. I am enjoying it so much. :)

I have got 'Shades Of Grey' on the shelf. I'm not sure when I'll read it though, as I am taking the very scientific approach to my reading this year, and 100% letting the mojo vibe guide me. :lol: It seems to be working for me so far!

I can thoroughly recommend a re read of the TN series though. I am enjoying it so much. :)

Sounds like a plan, a good one! :)

8) 'The Well Of Lost Plots'

Thursday is hiding out in a novel, trying so very hard (with the help of Gran) to REMEMBER!

A great story with action, depth, humour and tragedy. It works so well amidst the series, and I was totally gobsmacked by how much I had forgotten about the story since I first read it. Such a clever clever series of books. Reading 'Great Expectations' and especially Miss Havisham, will never be the same again for me. :D

9) 'Switched'

10) 'Torn

11) 'Ascend' The Trylle Trilogy by Amanda Hocking

Switched was a free kindle book that I had downloaded, and I went on to pay £2.98 (:o ) for the other 2 of the trilogy!

A diverting and active story. Aside from a hint of repetition, for example hands often touch thighs, tendrils of hair are gently brushed from one's face and there's more 'flutters' of emotion then I would generally care to read, it is an imaginative and fast moving story. It's not stunning or brilliant or a shout from the rooftops trilogy, but I woud say it is a quick read that is great for evening reading when you are tired and don't want to have to concentrate too hard.

Now I must get back on track with Thursday Next in 'Something Rotten'. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've added this trilogy to my wishlist, as I'd been considering them anyway, but I thought if Chrissy likes them, they must be worth a go! I've just read an interesting article in the Guardian about authors self-publishing ebooks for the Kindle and Amanda Hocking is one of the authors interviewed - quite incredible the number of ebooks she's sold! (Article if you're interested is here ... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/feb/27/kindle-ebooks-amazon-stephen-leather)

I've added this trilogy to my wishlist, as I'd been considering them anyway, but I thought if Chrissy likes them, they must be worth a go!

*gulp* :lol:

Thanks for the link Claire, I have noted it for later. You always get the juicy marrow out of things ~ I wish I had your eye for the articles (or the wherewithal to note the shortcut!). :D

12) 'Cuckoo' by Julia Crouch (BOOK RING ~SIGN UP NOW!)

I started reading 'Cuckoo' last night, just a few chapters. I picked the book up again at 6 o'clock this morning. It is now just after nine thirty, and I have just finished the book. Phew, I've got one hell of a headache! :lol:

Gripping doesn't quite do it justice. My jaw aches from the tension I held in it as I read this brilliant book. You think you know what is happening, and you kind of do but with a twisty uncomfortable hint of misdirection. Everything is undercurrent yet the picture and story you are left with feel so thorough and so well described you imagine that the text must have been heavy and deep in description and signposts when it really wasn't. Great story telling.

Subtlety, nuance, creepy creepy sickly realisation, a shared dark past are all here, yet somehow this is a very basic human story that speaks of maternal love, both it's depth to some and it's absence in others. It speaks of the special kind of loneliness that one can experience within a relationship. It speaks of loyalties, desires and resentments, long held and made stagnant.

I had to know what happened here, thank goodness I didn't have to be in work until lunchtime today ~ I'd never have made it in!

ETA DESPITE ENJOYING MY THURSDAY NEXT RE-READ, I SEEM TO BE ON A PATH AWAY FROM THEM. I'M LETTING MY MOJO GUIDE ME, SO THURSDAY WILL JUST HAVE TO WAIT!

Great review of Cuckoo Chrissy, certainly sounds intensely intriguing and I think I'll be adding it to my wishlist thanks to your strong recommendation.

13) 'Something Rotten' by Jasper Fforde

The continuing saga of Thursday Next, recently returned from the world of books to the outside world with 2 year old Friday Next, and without Landen. Religion, (un)Saintly revealments, crocquet, a meandering Hamlet, world domination and an array of assasination attempts all combine to make another swipe at one's sense of self and reality! :D

Great stuff indeed.