Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

2) The Hunger Games ~ Catching Fire

I finished book two of the Hunger Games trilogy last night, and wouldn't allow myself to even get book three ready for today, as I thought I would ignore my bed for the night and just carry on reading.

Despite having been shopping, and to the doctors, and having changed a headlight on my car, I have still managed to get halfway through this third and final installment. Admittedly, I haven't washed up or done anything vaguely domestic, but hell, my mojo's on fire! :D

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

What a ride! This is a fast paced ,important and thrilling read that is often quite touching and at times harrowing. With well defined and described characters and scenes tautly but evocatively described this is a compelling book. As I read the last word on the last page I was already getting up from the sofa to grab the 2nd book in the trilogy, 'Hunger Games ~ Catching Fire'.

I could spend all day and beyond recommending this book, telling you how brilliant Katniss is as a central character, how I my head is still there, as well as my heart. I could, but I won't. Just read it.

Oh, and for those who already have read it....The tears really flowed when the flowers had been draped and a gift of bread arrived. Oh dear me, I choked.

So glad you've given this book such a great review as I've bought it for my son, must say I'm tempted to read it before him now though :D

3) The Hunger Games ~ Mockingjay

I gasped in horror, gulped with fear, sputtered in consternation and wiped away tears of such sadness, and other tears that spilled through the sheer poignancy of the book. This one closes the trilogy of Katniss. Such a powerful trilogy of books. There are no dull points, no pages that demand skimming rather than reading. These are three taut and passionate books that tell such a compelling and thought provoking tale.

War, love, betrayal, trust, power, government, humanity, responsibility. You name it, this trio provide it. Action aplenty; brutal, cruel and imaginative. You will have your heart ripped out and your emotions stomped on repeatedly when you read these books, but I do urge you to read them. What a ride!

I had to give myself a day or two before I felt ready to get into another book following 'The Hunger Games', and pondered just what to have as my next read. Along came 'The Small Hand' by Susan Hill, sent to me as part of a Book Ring set up by Alison10. It was the perfect book to read next. :D

4) The Small Hand

A short creepy mysterious ghost story that subtly grabs your attention so that you are compelled to read on and on. You think you know what's what at different stages, and although close, there was just enough difference to make me exclaim '"Huh!" once or twice.

It's not a book of dramatic twists and turns, and we the reader know no more than the central character of Adam Snow at any point, but it's his steady and almost dull approach to his experiences that makes this a more powerful story. You are not having the plot shoved at you, you are beaing lead to it and it reveals itself as and when.

I would look out for more by Susan Hill, I like her style.

I have to admit I went on a crime spree after I finihsed The Hunger Games because I wanted something very different too. I think I have only read one Susan Hill though a long time ago not even sure what it was obviously didn't make that much of an impression :rolleyes:

I'm so glad you started a reading list, Chrissy. I'm really enjoying your reviews. :)

The Small Hand is on my wish list and sounds great. I'd highly recommend Hill's The Woman in Black. It's brilliant!

3) The Hunger Games ~ Mockingjay

I gasped in horror, gulped with fear, sputtered in consternation and wiped away tears of such sadness, and other tears that spilled through the sheer poignancy of the book. This one closes the trilogy of Katniss. Such a powerful trilogy of books. There are no dull points, no pages that demand skimming rather than reading. These are three taut and passionate books that tell such a compelling and thought provoking tale.

War, love, betrayal, trust, power, government, humanity, responsibility. You name it, this trio provide it. Action aplenty; brutal, cruel and imaginative. You will have your heart ripped out and your emotions stomped on repeatedly when you read these books, but I do urge you to read them. What a ride!

Fantastic reviews Chrissy! I am so pleased you enjoyed the trilogy, the whole series is an absolute roller-coaster of emotions, I felt so protective of Katniss and Peta by the end. :) Long may your mojo continue hen. :bookworm:

5) 'The Clockwork Angel'

I became quickly engrossed in this story that starts a series of 'prequels' to Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series of books.

Victorian London; we have fighting, parties of dubious repute, a girl with very special powers, and the usual collection of fiesty females and mysterious males ~ what more could you want from a story? I could almost smell the River Thames emanating from the pages. Between the supernatural elements and the action I loved the way the book tackles the incredibly complex concepts of what defines a person, from the outside, and from the inside. A book worth reading on many levels.

Hey Chrissy, glad to see your reading is going well this year so far. I noted a couple of pages back that American Gods by Neil Gaiman was on your list of 11 books you were considering for a next read. I don't know if you caught my comments on this novel at the back end of last year, but it was one of my favourite reads of 2010, and I must insist that you push this up list; it really is a fantastic read and I'm sure you'll love it. Anyway, happy reading. :friends3:

Edited by Ben

Great summing up of Clockwork Angel Chrissy. I read it on holiday - we were staying near a market town with lots of Victorian architecture and shopping area had been pedestrianised, given the town a Dickensian feel, and it suited my reading of this book perfectly! I actually liked it more than the Mortal Instruments series (which I still enjoyed a lot), and can't wait for Clockwork Prince to come out. :smile2:

Great review of 'The Small Hand' Chrissy :) I read it recently and enjoyed it. Like you, I like Susan Hill's style of storytelling and the way she sets up her stories .. more like the ghost stories of old.

A great little book to read in Winter.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mum and sister have both now read the first three in Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series, and her 'Clockwork Angel', and my Mum is on Book 3 of 'The Hunger Games' trilogy, and loving it to death. I have given my sister Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' trilogy to move onto to keep her reading juices flowing......I already have more books lined up to quietly "This one's quite good, why not give it a try?" nudge in their direction. Mwahahah! :lol:

Having enjoyed all these books myself, my mojo decided to have a wobbly. Amidst the wobble, I kept being drawn to Japsper Fforde's 'The Eyre Affair'. Such a clever and witty book. My mojo is gurgling with enjoyment at this re read. It may lead to my ploughing my way through the whole series again in one major Nextian heap, but so long as my mojo is happy, so am I. :D

6) 'The Eyre Affair' by Japser Fforde

I love Thursday Next, she is a literary hero of mine. I just adore this series of books, and from the first page of my re read I was swept away. To try and describe these books to anyone is almost an impossibility without making them sound weird and lame, but they are such original and clever books. I chuckled my way through them, catching pun names and nuances. No part of the story gets lost in the books cleverness. You have a great plot that unfolds before you. The only requirement of the reader is to accept the you are in an alternate reality. The quality of the writing however does make you ponder at book's end whether Thursday resides in the real reality, or you do though.

Is it too much that I think Kylie would make a brilliant Literary Detective, pet dodo included? :lol:

6) 'The Eyre Affair' by Japser Fforde

I love Thursday Next, she is a literary hero of mine. I just adore this series of books, and from the first page of my re read I was swept away. To try and describe these books to anyone is almost an impossibility without making them sound weird and lame, but they are such original and clever books. I chuckled my way through them, catching pun names and nuances. No part of the story gets lost in the books cleverness. You have a great plot that unfolds before you. The only requirement of the reader is to accept the you are in an alternate reality. The quality of the writing however does make you ponder at book's end whether Thursday resides in the real reality, or you do though.

Is it too much that I think Kylie would make a brilliant Literary Detective, pet dodo included? :lol:

Great review Chrissy, 'The Eyre Affair' is a great read and I can see our Kylie as a Literary Detective with a dodo :D