Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (22)

I re read this fabulous book for the June reading Circle read. A fascinating and engrossing story that takes the notion of where is safe and turns it in it's head. I thoroughly recommend this book as an excellent starting point for acquainting yourself with our Neil Gaiman.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (23)

My brother sent me this book ages and ages ago, but my wandering reading mojo meant I had to only read books I was drawn to in the moment. He told me how much I would love it, and he wasn't wrong.

Edited version taken from Wikipedia,

I can only concur with the author Jonathan Carroll in his review of this stunning book when he says, "American Gods is some kind of miracle. Gaiman has managed to tell the tallest of tales in the most heart rending and believable fashion, despite the story's truly mythic scale. It is an important, essential book."

Ain't my big brother the best present buyer? :D

And Big Bro now recommends that little sis reads Life - Keith Richards

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

26) I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett

I have so enjoyed reading the Tifany Aching series of YA books by Terry Pratchett, and I just wish they had beem around when I was younger, as I could have doen with reading their wisdom. In this story, Tiffany faces The Cunning, an evil entity that spreads hate and discord against witches. He has targetted Tiffany and she must face him, in addition to dealing with the emergence of a new witch, Roland's marriage and the Baron's death. I have heard that this is the last of the series, and although I appreciate an author stopping at a great point where the future awaits the characters and we are in hope, I am sad to say goodbye to this remarkable character.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s been an odd few weeks of reading recently, including some books stemming from Torchwood and Doctor Who which is unusual for me.

27)The Torchwood Archives by Warren Martyn

The central premise of this book is that an investigative journalist has got hold of archive documents from the Torchwood Hub, and has brought them together. I really enjoyed this book, looking at the events of series one and two from an outsider’s point of view. It’s composed of notes and archive material completed by Jack and Ianto, with additional ‘bits’ contributed by the other Torchwood characters. Great stuff, and a fab read for a fan!

28) Torchwood ~ Firstborn by James Goss

The characters Rhys and Gwen from the television series are in hiding, and end up staying in a small Welsh village. They are a strange lot in the village, and they all seen to show an uncomfortable interest in Gwen and Rhys’ baby daughter.

I enjoyed this Kindle read. It was a strange tale with lots of atmosphere and action, but as I already knew the characters of G & R it was easy to slip into the story. James Goss captures the spirit of the two main characters very well, and the banter from the tv series has been ‘transplanted’ to great effect into this book.

29) The Unremarkable Heart by Karin Slaughter

This short story from one of my favourite authors was compelling from the start. It is the story of the last day of a dying woman. June is not a particularly likeable person, and carries herself through the story as a martyr. Her sorry tale is told in pieces until we get to the end, when the last sentence slams home a truth.

I would recommend this as a great piece of taut and intense writing, that takes the reader from a position of “What a bl**dy cow”, to “Poor love” and back again often in the same paragraph.

30) Doctor Who ~ Dead Of Winter by James Goss

What a story this was! I realised early on in my reading of it that I had to just relax into and let it take me where it wanted, otherwise I would just get all confused and uncomfortable.

In a remote clinic in 18th-century Italy, a lonely girl writes to her mother. She tells of pale English aristocrats and mysterious Russian nobles. She tells of intrigues and secrets, and strange faceless figures that rise from the sea. And she tells about the enigmatic Mrs. Pond, who arrives with her husband and her physician. (From Amazon.co.uk)

Having made that conscious decision to ‘go with the flow’, I became quickly engrossed and had difficulty putting the story down, resented interruptions and felt a tad empty when I had finished. The sign of a good read!

31) Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith

Here is what I wrote in the Book Activity thread upon finishing this fabulous book;

I finished Ali Smith's 'Girl Meets Boy' today and was frankly blown away by it. What an extraordinary book that is so alive and lyrical and vibrant and textured and compelling.

It would be almost impossible to describe this book, as all I can do is list some of it's elements; sisters, family, responsibility, poetry, politics, myths and legends, womanhood and womankind, the modern and the ancient, nature, music, humankind, and most especially it's about love and how it captures us. All I can really say is read this book if you want to be spoken to intelligently by a voice that has a strong tale to tell where nothing and eveything happens, and you are left breathless and reeling from the impact. All this in such a short book (only 161 pages).

Chesilbeach, you are wonderful. Thank you so much for giving me this now always to be treasured book.

There is nothing I can add to this, other than to say that the story is yet to leave my thoughts and heart.

32) Prophecy ~ Child Of Light by FE Heaton

This was recommended by a certain Charm-ing forum member. I am happily about to start the second in this trilogy. A well paced story of star crossed love, prophecies, destinies, trust, mistrust, vampires, witches, werewolves and truth seeking. All the right ingredients for high drama, intense ‘moments’ and demonic romps.

• 5 weeks later...

It's been a while since I updated in here, and despite great plans to keep to my current TBR list, I have read books (both tree and Kindle) that have grabbed my interest in the moment. So here goes

32) Prophecy ~ Child Of Light by FE Heaton

33) 'Prophecy ~ Caelestis & Aurorea' by FE Heaton

34) 'Propecy ~ Dark Moon Rising' by FE Heaton

These were recommended by a certain Charm-ing forum member. A well paced story of star crossed love, prophecies, destinies, trust, mistrust, vampires, witches, werewolves and truth seeking. All the right ingredients for high drama, intense ‘moments’ and demonic romps.

I did enjoy this trilogy. It had enough action and ongoing plot to hold my interest throughout, and the scenes and characters were well described so I had the running image in my head from beginning to end. It is an easy to read book, that takes quite big plot points and puts them across well so you never feel lost. I only have a few very minor criticicsms about the books. The first is that a few aspects of the 'back stories' weren't given enough emphasis at times, so that later when they became more relevant I had to rack my brain to remember their context. I also felt a bit thrown by the lack of introduction to Venturi, his introduction was sudden and jarring when it needn't have been.

These aren't works of stunning literature, but they are very readable and do add to the genre. I wouldn't say they are YA though ~ the scenes of *cough* a private nature are quite graphic, although well written.

35) 'Broken' by Karin Slaughter

I am a big fan of Karin Slaughter. I love her characters (even the ones I hate), and I find her plots are always taut and well tied together. 'Broken' takes place in Grant County but with the addition of Will Trent *sigh*. Sara Linton and Will Trent are thrown together through the murder of a student from the local college, the suicide in custody of the main suspect and the murder of yet another student. There is potential police corruption, Sara's ongoing hatred of the troubled Lena Adams and a bundle of mixed signals, messages and meanings. A good story that takes the reader further down the road in the characters lives.

36) 'Fallen' by Karin Slaughter

I stayed with Ms Slaughter for my next read, and by the time I had finished this I gave a satisfied sigh for the story, it's execution and the development for the characters. Will Trent's partner Faith arrives at her mother's house to collect her daughter to find a body, a hostage taking, her mother missing and her daughter hidden in the garage. This is all the more complicated by the fact that Faith's mother is a retired police officer, who lead a team that was ultimately investigated and jailed for corruption. There is a nosey neighbour that takes curtain twitching to extreme and often helpful lengths, and the continued presence of Sara Linton and Will. I defy any Will fan NOT to be delighted by the closing chapters.

I would advise that you start with her first book 'Blindsighted'. The books aren't for the faint-hearted as all injuries are graphically described in every book, especially since the central characters are a police chief and a doctor/medical examiner, but the plots are tight and the characters are really well drawn. :)

I would advise that you start with her first book 'Blindsighted'. The books aren't for the faint-hearted as all injuries are graphically described in every book, especially since the central characters are a police chief and a doctor/medical examiner, but the plots are tight and the characters are really well drawn. :)

Yes my DD said they were a bit full on :)

Wow Chrissy, check you out, epic reader! :)

Me, an epic reader? I am definitely 'up' on last years reading, but epic I ain't! :lol: Whereas, you my dear are epic in reading and personality! :friends3:

Yes my DD said they were a bit full on :)

That would be a tad of an understatement. :giggle2: I actually enjoy them enormously, but I am careful about recommending them as they are eye-wateringly grim at times.

• 2 weeks later...

37) Syren by Angie Sage

This was a re read of the Book Five in the Septimus Heap series in anticipation of Book Six's arrival. I had rushed through my last read of this story, and had not given it the attention and time is really deserved. The book starts immediately following the events of Book Four 'Queste'. In 'Syren' through numerous events Septimus and others are shipwrecked / dragon wrecked on a mysterious Island, and they uncover a plot that threatens the castle.

All the ususal characters are found in this action packed story, as well as some new stunningly well depicted new characters. I so enjoyed reading this properly, and is set me up perfectly for teh arrival of 'Darke'.

38) Darke by Angie Sage

'Darke' opens with a breathtaking mistake that brings tragedy to all. Septimus and Jenna both come of age, and this means different things to them both, but brings with it profound realisations and responsibilites. Things are in shadow from the beginning, and just head deeper into the dark as the story develops. There is humour in the mix, with betrayal, restored trust and great inner resources to be found within the pages.

A great sixth outing for these wonderful characters.

• 1 month later...

I do like them Mau, they have a fascinating 'feel' to them and are tales well told. Septimus is a lovely character, and like all the main characters is so well depicted in the books you can almost smell him! :lol: The stories are unusual and original despite often using familiar concepts at times. A fabulous and colourful series contained in such lovely designed books.

• 1 month later...

39) The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde

I have started but not finished this, but I wanted to include it in 2011's list ~ heck I need to get my numbers up any way I can!

Not the best reading year for sure. I have bought so many books, both tree and Kindle versions. I just hope that 2012 alows me to get through the many many books I have waiting for me. :smile:

• 1 month later...

I don't know how I missed this, but oh, oh, oh how I *loved* this book as a child! Several years ago (BBCF*!) I bought a copy of the same version I had (a gorgeous pink cover) and I'd completely forgotten about this until I read your post! For some reason it's in the wardrobe upstairs with a few other books I'd forgotten about. I've dug it out now and simply have to re-read it again!!

*Before Book Club Forum!

It isn't there. sad.gif I know I bought it - I wonder where I've put it. Grrr!

Aw, Janet I will keep my eyes open for a copy. I know the one you mean as it was the same cover that I had. :smile:

I just found it! :doowapstart::yahoo:

Luke told me that the bookcase in his room (which used to be his sister's room and bookcase) still had loads of old books on it - I just went to have a look to see what kind of books and there are loads from when they were little, and in amongst them was Gobbolino The Witch's Cat - I'm so pleased! :D