Chrissy's Books 2011

Chrissy

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (22)

I re read this fabulous book for the June reading Circle read. A fascinating and engrossing story that takes the notion of where is safe and turns it in it's head. I thoroughly recommend this book as an excellent starting point for acquainting yourself with our Neil Gaiman.

American Gods by Neil Gaiman (23)

My brother sent me this book ages and ages ago, but my wandering reading mojo meant I had to only read books I was drawn to in the moment. He told me how much I would love it, and he wasn't wrong.

Edited version taken from Wikipedia,

The central precept of the novel is that gods and mythological creatures exist because people believe in them. Immigrants to the United States brought them from elsewhere. However, the power of these mythological beings has diminished as people's beliefs wane. New gods have arisen, reflecting America's obsessions with media, celebrity, technology, and drugs, among others.The boo k follows the adventures of ex-convict Shadow.

I can only concur with the author Jonathan Carroll in his review of this stunning book when he says, "American Gods is some kind of miracle. Gaiman has managed to tell the tallest of tales in the most heart rending and believable fashion, despite the story's truly mythic scale. It is an important, essential book."

Ain't my big brother the best present buyer? :D

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 25 ~ A character who you can relate to the most

Who do I choose? A classy heroine from a classic? A sassy girl from something more recent?

Had I had more children, I like to think I would have been a bit of a Molly Weasley; all chaos, cooking, laughter & love, but with a core of steel. She loves her family fiercely and extends her blanket of love to Harry without hesitation. Given the same set of circumstances, with an Arthur at my side and I would be delighted to be a Molly. I dread to think that some may consider me more akin to Aunt Petunia! :o

I think you'd make a lovely Molly Weasley, Chrissy. I found her very appealing too. There is absolutely nothing of Aunt Petunia in you whatsoever!!! Let 'em try and say so! :motz:

Another mother I found absolutely delightful was Gerald Durrell's mother in 'My Family and Other Animals'. Have you met her?

Edited by poppy

One day, maybe one day! :lol:

Day 24 ~ A book you wish more people would read

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching series of books, specifically leading them to the fourth book 'Wintersmith'. I am soon to read the latest/last book in this series, 'I Shall Wear Midnight' and cannot wait. :D

My reson for wishing that more would read this series is for them to enjoy the double whammy of great humour and daft situations combined with old wisdom wrapped in the wonderful central character that is Tiffany Aching herself. Terry Pratchett draws his characters so well, giving them thorough personalities with all the strengths and frailties we can all have. I think he depicts his Discworld Witches the best , and Tiffany is no exception. She starts as a young girl and we walk along side as she learns the craft to which she was destined. There are so many truth gems to be found in these books, and I defy anyone not to feel a tingle when they read of the Dark Morris.

I read the first book in the series, 'The Wee Free Men', I love Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegles, Chrissy, you have definitely encouraged me to read the rest of the books, thank you. :)

Another mother I found absolutely delightful was Gerald Durrell's mother in 'My Family and Other Animals'. Have you met her?

I am embarrased to say I have not read any Gerlad Durrell. :blush: Although I think we have one or two here. Oh dear, my TBR shelves just got fuller.

Ah, American Gods is one of my favourite books of last year; I thought it was absolutely fantastic.

It's such a hard book to describe isn't it? But wonderful, so so good. :)

I read the first book in the series, 'The Wee Free Men', I love Tiffany and the Nac Mac Feegles, Chrissy, you have definitely encouraged me to read the rest of the books, thank you. :)

They are definitely recommended. The first book is very young in lots of ways, enjoyable but young. The late books take on and offer greater depth I found. I will be reading the last 'I Shall Wear Midnight' soon, and I am so looking forward to it.

Day 27 ~ The most surprising plot twist or ending

I had a few contenders for this one, and have settled for two, contrasting books. The first is JK Rowling's 'The Order Of The Pheonix' and the

death of Sirius Black. This caught me totally by surprise and I was initially gobsmacked that the author would have torn away such a significant person in poor Harry's life.

Later it made greater sense to me in it's contribution to galvanising Harry's position, but at first reading it was shocking. I am really good at NOT picking up on things, and although I started reading the HP books later than many, I had no inkling as to where the series was heading. In this instance it definitley worked in my reading favour.

The second book I choose for here is 'Praying For Sleep' by Jeffrey Deaver. It all begins on a dark and stormy night, and takes a downturn from there! :lol: Mr Deaver is the master of twist and turns, and this book had a few knots that lead to the mighty twist near the end that turned it all on it's head for the reader. I will not say what the twist is, as it would really spoil the book. As an aside, I can also say that despite knowing the twist I would read this book again as it is that good.

Chrissy, I'm enjoying your list sooooo much. Most of the books you are listing are ones I love, or ones that I share your feelings about, and the ones which I have not read, I can definately put on my tbr list, as I love your reading choices! :) Thanks for sharing.

They are definitely recommended. The first book is very young in lots of ways, enjoyable but young. The late books take on and offer greater depth I found. I will be reading the last 'I Shall Wear Midnight' soon, and I am so looking forward to it.

:)

Day 27 ~ The most surprising plot twist or ending

I had a few contenders for this one, and have settled for two, contrasting books. The first is JK Rowling's 'The Order Of The Pheonix' and the

death of Sirius Black. This caught me totally by surprise and I was initially gobsmacked that the author would have torn away such a significant person in poor Harry's life.

Later it made greater sense to me in it's contribution to galvanising Harry's position, but at first reading it was shocking. I am really good at NOT picking up on things, and although I started reading the HP books later than many, I had no inkling as to where the series was heading. In this instance it definitley worked in my reading favour.

The second book I choose for here is 'Praying For Sleep' by Jeffrey Deaver. It all begins on a dark and stormy night, and takes a downturn from there! :lol: Mr Deaver is the master of twist and turns, and this book had a few knots that lead to the mighty twist near the end that turned it all on it's head for the reader. I will not say what the twist is, as it would really spoil the book. As an aside, I can also say that despite knowing the twist I would read this book again as it is that good.

I'm quoting myself as I wanted to add that I had a third book that gave me the biggest reading shock of all, but I have mentioned it so many times, I didn't want to use it again. If anyone has read 'Judas Child' by Carol O'Connell they will know what I mean. :wink:

I have been really enoying doing this list. I have 'gone with my gut' on the answers mostly, and have actually been surprised by some of my answers. :lol:

Day 25 ~ A character who you can relate to the most

Who do I choose? A classy heroine from a classic? A sassy girl from something more recent?

Had I had more children, I like to think I would have been a bit of a Molly Weasley; all chaos, cooking, laughter & love, but with a core of steel. She loves her family fiercely and extends her blanket of love to Harry without hesitation. Given the same set of circumstances, with an Arthur at my side and I would be delighted to be a Molly. I dread to think that some may consider me more akin to Aunt Petunia! :o

That's so lovely :) I've always had a soft spot for Molly because she was ready to take care of everyone. And nooooo...definitely not Aunt Petunia!

It's such a hard book to describe isn't it? But wonderful, so so good. :)

Yes every time someone recommends it and I try explain any details I always find myself struggling with the exact thing to say. I thought it was fantastic, though.

Day 28 ~ Favourite title

Is it going to be a clever Japser Fforde? Maybe Salman Rushdie? It's tricky, so I went for a title that conjured up so much when I first saw it, and I went onto adore the book.

Step forward Carol O'Connell and her fabulous 'Flight Of The Stone Angel'.

ETA The title drew me to the book and the author Carol O'Connell, but I think that upon reading the book I appreciated the subtlety of the title, and the many layers this enigmatic title conceals. Admitedly stone angels do get to fly in the book, but the flight, the stone and the angel taken separately hold greater meaning to me.

Day 29 ~ A book everyone hated but you liked

I can't think of any book that fits this criteria.

I quite enjoyed the much slated Dan Brown's, although as they are best sellers I don't think they can be considered 'hated'. There may be books that others loathe that I have read and enjoyed, but I am not aware of them. So, for once in this month I am pretty well stumped. :cool:

Day 28 ~ Favourite title

Step forward Carol O'Connell and her fabulous 'Flight Of The Stone Angel'.

ETA The title drew me to the book and the author Carol O'Connell, but I think that upon reading the book I appreciated the subtlety of the title, and the many layers this enigmatic title conceals. Admitedly stone angels do get to fly in the book, but the flight, the stone and the angel taken separately hold greater meaning to me.

This sounds interesting, might have to check it out at some point.

I think the one that makes me heave a little girl sigh is 'Gobbolino The Witch's Cat' by Ursula Moray Williams.

I don't know how I missed this, but oh, oh, oh how I *loved* this book as a child! Several years ago (BBCF*!) I bought a copy of the same version I had (a gorgeous pink cover) and I'd completely forgotten about this until I read your post! For some reason it's in the wardrobe upstairs with a few other books I'd forgotten about. I've dug it out now and simply have to re-read it again!!

*Before Book Club Forum!

Day 30 ~ Your favourite book of all time

As I haven't finished my reading life, I was going to leave this blank, as perhaps my favourite book of all time is out there waiting for me. In the meantime, I have made mention one or two of my favourite reads already in this 30 day challenge. How wonderful that I have a fizzing anticipation of all the fabulous books I am yet to read and fall in love with. :D

I don't know how I missed this, but oh, oh, oh how I *loved* this book as a child! Several years ago (BBCF*!) I bought a copy of the same version I had (a gorgeous pink cover) and I'd completely forgotten about this until I read your post! For some reason it's in the wardrobe upstairs ...

It isn't there. :( I know I bought it - I wonder where I've put it. Grrr!

Aw, Janet I will keep my eyes open for a copy. I know the one you mean as it was the same cover that I had. :)

Aww, bless you - thanks. :hug: I've got my Mum on the case too!

One good thing has come out of this - I took everything out of the centre section of the wardrobe where I thought I'd put the book and sorted it out, so at least I have a tidy cupboard out of it!

I'd have settled for a messy one and finding the book though! :giggle2: