Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

Well, I think we're very much the same in how we pick our next reads, mood is the most important thing. When I finish a book I usually don't know which book to go for next and might end up reading something completely surprising. However, because I'm doing the 1001 Books challenge and the Rory challenge, and I've now started taking part in the reading circles as well, they tend to sometimes dictate which books need to be read at certain times.

We differ in one aspect though: if I'm not 100% into my current read, my mind sometimes wanders around to think about which book to read next :blush: And there's also this very odd trait I have: sometimes the books I want to read the most will be the last for me to read. It's like eating a bag of mixed candy: I usually start with the ones I like the least, and leave the good stuff til the end. So there can be books I'd really loved to read but will savour til later.

And then again, sometimes I just go for the ones that I want to read the most. So there really is no logic!

On another note: my day has improved since last post. I had to go groceryshopping and went to this store where they have gardening stuff, hobby stuff and whatnots for cheap prices. They also have this small flea market section and I haven't been there in ages. Because the secondhand bookshop was closed today, I went to this store on my way to the grocerystore. And tadaa, I found a copy of Lust for Life by Irving Stone! Which is basically a biography of Vincent van Gogh. It's a funny coincidence that peace should just have posted in this thread because I immediately thought of her when I found the book, and because I enjoy biographies I had to get it. It sounds interesting and peace would be proud :smile2:

Ah, I'd forgotten about the challenges and reading circles, Frankie. Otherwise, you're right, we choose our books pretty much the same way. I can completely understand what you mean when you save certain most-anticipated reads for later. It's like saving the best for last! :D Sometimes, like with other things in life, I read the books I'm 'meh' about before some others that I can't wait to read. It's nice to have something to look forward to!

I'm so glad you found Lust for Life, Frankie! I think it's safe to say that you can think of both me AND Kylie when you find a Van Gogh book ;). Plus, you can never find enough books on artists and their tragic circumstances.

I love cooking shows! When I had cable TV I think that's one of the channels (Food Network) that I watched the most. I really like cooking myself, so I always watched shows to get new recipes. I'm not one for competition shows though, just a chef there, behind a counter, showing me how to cook certain dishes is what I like.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha.gifhaha.gifhaha.gif

There is one ep that I sent you and I managed to use all 9 letters! I was so proud of myself until something else happened (I won't spoil it for you; you'll know it when you see it).

!! Was it... vajayjays? :rolol: I'm not sure that's in the dictionary, though.

:giggle2: Can't wait to watch the eps now! And I can't believe that you actually watched one. I'm soooo proud :011:

Ah, I'd forgotten about the challenges and reading circles, Frankie. Otherwise, you're right, we choose our books pretty much the same way. I can completely understand what you mean when you save certain most-anticipated reads for later. It's like saving the best for last! :D Sometimes, like with other things in life, I read the books I'm 'meh' about before some others that I can't wait to read. It's nice to have something to look forward to!

Exactly, saving the best for last! :cool:

I'm so glad you found Lust for Life, Frankie! I think it's safe to say that you can think of both me AND Kylie when you find a Van Gogh book ;). Plus, you can never find enough books on artists and their tragic circumstances.

I'll promise I'll think of the two of you simultaneously, the next time! :yes:

I love cooking shows! When I had cable TV I think that's one of the channels (Food Network) that I watched the most. I really like cooking myself, so I always watched shows to get new recipes. I'm not one for competition shows though, just a chef there, behind a counter, showing me how to cook certain dishes is what I like.

I thought VH1 was your favorite channel?! :giggle: I need a competition, I'd rather read Madame Bovary than watch a normal cooking show. But that's just me again, each to their own :)

!! Was it... vajayjays? :rolol: I'm not sure that's in the dictionary, though.

ohmy.gif Naughty!

Can't wait to watch the eps now! And I can't believe that you actually watched one. I'm soooo proud

I watched most, if not all, of the ones I sent you. I like Letters and Numbers; it's just not high on my list of shows to watch in that timeslot. And the maths chick annoys me.

I'll promise I'll think of the two of you simultaneously, the next time! :yes:

I bet you're sorry you ever told us the story!

I'd rather read Madame Bovary than watch a normal cooking show.

Aha! I won't forget this. I think this piece of information will come in handy one day. Mwahaha!

Edited by Kylie

I've been having a miserable week, I'm PMSing in a really bad way, So I couldn't watch my guilty pleasure, Come Dine with Me, which I'm absolutely obsessed about nowadays, :blush:

Ohhh I love that too Frankie. Along with Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Food. I am quite hooked!

I thought VH1 was your favorite channel?! :giggle: I need a competition, I'd rather read Madame Bovary than watch a normal cooking show. But that's just me again, each to their own :)

No way, man! VH1, like MTV and MTV2, only play music now for about an hour a day :rolleyes:. Not that I don't get to watch them, since I only get about 10 channels on my TV... I've never read Madame Bovary, but you're definitely right - to each their own! Tbh, you don't want to be around me if I'm lucky enough to watch a cooking channel and a competition show comes on. I swear up a storm! :lurker: For basically the same reason I get mad at the Travel channel for airing shows about water parks and the most luxurious gigantic campers out on the road.

I'm another who loves Come Dine With Me! Purely for our commentator, Dave Lamb. I'm a fan of him on Facebook! :giggle2:

ETA: I was - the page appears to have gone!

ETA (Again!) - but there appear to be 100s of other pages devoted to him!

Edited by Janet

I watched most, if not all, of the ones I sent you. I like Letters and Numbers; it's just not high on my list of shows to watch in that timeslot. And the maths chick annoys me.

I'll try and remember that you don't watch the show NOT because you don't like it. (My English professor wouldn't be happy about that sentence, I think). The maths chick rules, beauty and brains, killer combo! Although she comes second to the dictionary wizard, letters and words intrigue me far more than numbers. And the host is so warm, charming, sophisticated... ah :)

Aha! I won't forget this. I think this piece of information will come in handy one day. Mwahaha!

Crikey!!

Ohhh I love that too Frankie. Along with Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Food. I am quite hooked!

BF's watched an episode of Bizarre Food, I asked him yesterday what it was like and he said 'bald'. I guess he didn't find it very fascinating and that was all he remembered about it :rolleyes:

No way, man! VH1, like MTV and MTV2, only play music now for about an hour a day :rolleyes:. Not that I don't get to watch them, since I only get about 10 channels on my TV... I've never read Madame Bovary, but you're definitely right - to each their own! Tbh, you don't want to be around me if I'm lucky enough to watch a cooking channel and a competition show comes on. I swear up a storm! :lurker: For basically the same reason I get mad at the Travel channel for airing shows about water parks and the most luxurious gigantic campers out on the road.

Yeah what's up with VH1!! I tell you, ever since that Megan Hausermann show fiasco they've stopped making all those excellent TV reality shows. I'm so mad at the guy :( Yep, I can't remember when was the last time I actually heard/saw any music coming from the MUSIC tv. I remember the days in the 90s when my cousin's family had MTV and we didn't, and I always looked at what their channel had to offer, and almost died when I saw there'd be a documentary about Nirvana and I couldn't watch! :irked:

I'm another who loves Come Dine With Me! Purely for our commentator, Dave Lamb. I'm a fan of him on Facebook! :giggle2:

ETA: I was - the page appears to have gone!

ETA (Again!) - but there appear to be 100s of other pages devoted to him!

What's not to love about the show :D Although I have to say, I'm pretty gutted that you guys can't watch the Swedish version. I tell you it's better. The commentator is such a cheeky little bugger, and has more variety in his jokes than the British one who only seems to resort to sarcasm.

On another note: Wohoo, I finally finished Howards End, thank goodness! I'm going to BF's today so will need to now think about which books to pack with me, which books would I like to read. It's going to be a tough task, yet again.

The maths chick rules, beauty and brains, killer combo!

That's why I don't like her. I'm jealous of people who have both. It's not fair. :(

On another note: Wohoo, I finally finished Howards End, thank goodness! I'm going to BF's today so will need to now think about which books to pack with me, which books would I like to read. It's going to be a tough task, yet again.

How was Howard's End? Was it a tough read or were you unimpressed by it?

Have fun choosing your books!

Psst...take Cloudstreet!

That's why I don't like her. I'm jealous of people who have both. It's not fair. :(

It's not fair, but I don't see why you complain, because you possess both qualities! :yes: And no I'm not just saying that. Besides, she seems like a really nice lassie, not one to brag about her excellence.

How was Howard's End? Was it a tough read or were you unimpressed by it?

Have fun choosing your books!

Psst...take Cloudstreet!

Howards End kept dragging sometimes, Forster could've gone straight to the point, but then I also found myself very immersed in the story at times. So not my favorite read ever, no way, but definitely better than I expected. And there were a couple of unexpected twists which I admired. I expected it to be another uneventful boring story. I gave it a 3/5.

Cloudstreet is an excellent suggestion! However, I was hoping to choose books that I'd like but not enough to keep to myself, I'm planning on visiting BF's uni's free book exchange bookshelf and will donate the books I manage to read during the trip to ones that might interest me there. And I definitely don't want to give up my copy of Cloudstreet!!!

It's going to be a difficult decision. Hmph!

I just went to the library to take back some books, then signed up for the voluntary work for the Ilosaari rockfestival this July. Then I visited a couple of bookshops, I almost bought a biography of Hitler, it was only 15e and it was a huuuge book. But didn't in the end. And I almost bought the collected stories by Edgar Allan Poe, the book was nice and only 10e, but it was in Finnish and because of that I decided to leave it there. Maybe I'll buy it another time. Oh and I found a copy of J. D. Salinger's new biography by Kenneth whatshisnam, only 17e, and a hardback too! Hehe the Finnish translation was somewhere around 30e. It's just incredible how expensive books can be.

It's not fair, but I don't see why you complain, because you possess both qualities! :yes: And no I'm not just saying that.

Good grief! You crazy, blind woman. tongue.gif

Howards End kept dragging sometimes, Forster could've gone straight to the point, but then I also found myself very immersed in the story at times. So not my favorite read ever, no way, but definitely better than I expected. And there were a couple of unexpected twists which I admired. I expected it to be another uneventful boring story. I gave it a 3/5.

Hmm. I'm mostly curious about reading it because of Susan Hill's book and because it's on the 1001 list, but I guess I won't be in too much of a rush.

Cloudstreet is an excellent suggestion! However, I was hoping to choose books that I'd like but not enough to keep to myself, I'm planning on visiting BF's uni's free book exchange bookshelf and will donate the books I manage to read during the trip to ones that might interest me there. And I definitely don't want to give up my copy of Cloudstreet!!!

Good point! Be sure to let us know what you decide on! And I can't wait to see what goodies you find on the book exchange shelf. :)

Then I visited a couple of bookshops, I almost bought a biography of Hitler, it was only 15e and it was a huuuge book. But didn't in the end. And I almost bought the collected stories by Edgar Allan Poe, the book was nice and only 10e, but it was in Finnish and because of that I decided to leave it there. Maybe I'll buy it another time. Oh and I found a copy of J. D. Salinger's new biography by Kenneth whatshisnam, only 17e, and a hardback too! Hehe the Finnish translation was somewhere around 30e. It's just incredible how expensive books can be.

Gosh yes, they're all so expensive! Thank goodness for cheaper online bookstores, hey? :D

Edited by Kylie

Okay, I've made my decision, and this odd selection is going with me:

Rhonda Byrne: The Secret

Daphne du Maurier: My Cousin Rachel

Pirkko Saisio: Punainen erokirja

James Herbert: Haunted

Gaile Parkin: Baking Cakes in Kigali

Boris Akunin: don't know the English title, a thriller

I approve. :)

I'll be very interested in what you think of The Secret.

I think I used to have My Cousin Rachel on my TBR pile but eventually gave it away because I have several other books by du Maurier and knew I wouldn't get to this one for a while. Have you read Rebecca or anything else by du Maurier?

I've heard good things about James Herbert and have been interested in reading something by him. I haven't known where to start though, so if you enjoy this I'll be sure to add it to my wish list. :)

Okay, I've made my decision, and this odd selection is going with me:

James Herbert: Haunted

I hope you enjoy 'Haunted' Frankie, its one of my favourites by James Herbert, looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

Good grief! You crazy, blind woman. tongue.gif
Who are you calling blind?! I was the one who spotted you at the airport, that's pretty remarkable for a blind person, aye?

Hmm. I'm mostly curious about reading it because of Susan Hill's book and because it's on the 1001 list, but I guess I won't be in too much of a rush.

Don't go by my word, who knows, maybe you'll really like it, we did disagree on MB, for example.

Good point! Be sure to let us know what you decide on! And I can't wait to see what goodies you find on the book exchange shelf. :)
Don't expect too much, it's usually a pretty weak selection. The last time was a success which might never repeat itself again.

Gosh yes, they're all so expensive! Thank goodness for cheaper online bookstores, hey? :D

Indeed! I don't know why I ever bother going to the local bookstore, all the English titles in the fiction section are the same old, same old, never ones that are mentioned and recommended on here, for example. The biography section is pretty good, but it usually takes a miracle to find an English copy.

I'll be very interested in what you think of The Secret.
Me too, I'm not expecting very much from it, I bet there's nothing there that hasn't been said before, but because I've been so stressed lately I thought I'd take it with me, it might do me good and maybe I'll get an epiphany or two :D

I think I used to have My Cousin Rachel on my TBR pile but eventually gave it away because I have several other books by du Maurier and knew I wouldn't get to this one for a while. Have you read Rebecca or anything else by du Maurier?

This will be my first du Maurier. I've been wanting to read Rebecca for a while and I think I'll quite like it, but it's not one that I think I'll be giving away. So instead, I picked My Cousin Rachel because the copy I have is a rather ugly hardback and even if I end up liking the book, I'd rather give my copy away and buy an English copy. There is a logic to every book I decided to take with me, see? :giggle:

I've heard good things about James Herbert and have been interested in reading something by him. I haven't known where to start though, so if you enjoy this I'll be sure to add it to my wish list. :)

I hope you enjoy 'Haunted' Frankie, its one of my favourites by James Herbert, looking forward to reading your thoughts :)

Coincidentally I started reading this when I got on the train, I had 2,5 hours on me and another 1,5 hours while waiting for the bus/while on the bus. I don't really know what to say... I like the story just fine, no problems with that. However, my copy is in Finnish and the translation is horrendous. I was cringing half the time! And I actually had to text some of the worse quotes to BF while I was reading it. I don't know if there's anything wrong with Herbert's own style, it's really hard to say because I don't have the original copy, but the translation is really effecting my reading. I sometimes had to read a sentence 4-5 times to understand the structure of the sentence. At one point, one of the characters raised her glass of brandy to her 'bosoms'. !! How many bosoms does a lady have?! :Tantrum:

So yeah, I suggest you Kylie go by other people's reviews because mine's not very helpful. Weave has enjoyed it, and I think Nollaig has too, so go by them!

Edit: Don't mind the weird bolding, BF's keyboard is acting up and I can't bother to try and get it sorted.

Edited by frankie

Day 01 – Best book you read last year

This is a very difficult choice but in the end I have to go with The Last Family in England by Matt Haig (5/5). Here's my review from last year's reading log:

"An excellent read! This story's told from the point-of-view of a dog, which I always enjoy. The Labradors have made a pact to do anything in their power to protect their Families, in order to be able to go to doggy heaven in afterlife. Some dogs think that this pact is a load of rubbish. Prince, however, is determined to follow the rules of the pact and keep his family safe. Which turns out to be quite difficult because there is a lot of trouble heading their way... The book is funny and sad and really clever. It made me think of The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. When I read TAoRinR I was really sad because I knew I would probably never get to read anything like that again, but now I found it's match. In my opinion at least. A definite favorite which I'll be rereading in the future! I would recommend it to anyone who likes pets and dogs in particular."

Bubbling under:

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Gold by Dan Rhodes

Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

The Dirt by Mötley Crüe

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

Freaky Friday by Mary Rodgers

Sellevision by Augusten Burroughs

Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs

Edited by frankie

Hi Frankie! I saw Daniil Harms in your list and you encouraged me to read it. In my daughter's library we have child poetry of Daniil Harms and I would say that it differs strongly form other child poetry, but interesting and funny )

Hi Frankie! I saw Daniil Harms in your list and you encouraged me to read it. In my daughter's library we have child poetry of Daniil Harms and I would say that it differs strongly form other child poetry, but interesting and funny )

Daniil Harms is one of the oddest, most hilarious authors I've read, I'd love to read more of his stuff and want to buy some of his books. I definitely recommend him, you're in for a great treat! :smile2:

Daniil Harms is one of the oddest, most hilarious authors I've read, I'd love to read more of his stuff and want to buy some of his books. I definitely recommend him, you're in for a great treat! :smile2:

Yes, ODDEST the right word for Daniil Harms :rolleyes:

BF left town to visit his friend and help with his summer cottage, so I thought this was a good day to go to town and visit some secondhand bookshops, charityshops etc. And it was a great trip!

First I stopped at a secondhand bookshop, the English lit section was a mess as usual so I took off my coat and got comfortable and went through all the books and organised and put them in nice piles (the ones that didn't fit in the bookcases). I spent about 2 hours there :lol: Happy times! I found four Tom Clancy novels for BF, he's mighty happy. I also got myself these:

- Ernest Hemingway: Death in the Afternoon (a Finnish edition, but I don't mind at all because all the Hemingway translations I've read so far have been very pleasant to read)

- Stephen King: Carrie (I've read this about 2-3 times but I love the story and had to get it because it was in English)

- Patricia Cornwell: Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed (I've read this once already but really enjoyed it so had to get it because it was in English and only 2e)

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex (an English addition to replace my Finnish copy. Now I can give the Finnish copy away to someone. This new one has a beautiful cover which I've never seen before)

Eventhough I was happy about all the books I'd found at the secondhand bookshop, I felt that I hadn't found that much, so I visited this flea market which I don't usually like to visit, just to see if they had anything. And it was worth it, I bought:

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel (haven't read the first novel yet, but had to get this because it was in English)

- John Steinbeck: Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday (in one book)

- Daphne du Maurier: The Scapegoat

At this point I thought I'd only visit the Red Cross charityshop and then go home because I was pretty happy with having found so many books. From the charityshop I got:

- Patrick Süskind: Pigeon (I've been wanting to read this for ages, having loved Perfume so much)

- Dr Spencer Johnson: Who Moved My Cheese? (a Rory book!!)

- Terry Pratchett: Witches Abroad (it's so rare to find any English copies of Terry Pratchett novels that I just had to get it)

- Charles Dickens: Great Expectations (this was a Finnish hardback. I rarely even pick hardbacks to see how much they cost, especially if they're such well-loved classics as this, because they're usually very pricey, but this was only 1e!!! And a rather nice edition)

- Alexander Masters: Stuart - A Life Backwards (I cannot believe I found this, poppyshake will be so pleased! I can't believe I found it just after having discussed the novel and the movie. It's so rare to find anything decent in English at this particular charityshop that I was particularly surprised to find this. And it was only 1e! Amazing!)

After having such great luck at the charityshop, I thought I'd visit the flea market next door and give it a go, because I was in such a great mood. And I got really lucky there as well:

- Tuija Lehtinen: Ikkunaprinsessa (a Finnish teen novel, one of my favorites from my teenage, and one that I've been trying to find for ages)

- Väinö Linna: Under the North Star (I found this in English, which surprised me, because it's a Finnish classic and I'm used to seeing only Finnish editions. It was only 1e and I thought I'd buy it just in case there's anyone here on the forum who's been looking for an English copy of this, for their Around the World -challenge or for other reasons)

- Ira Levin: Rosemary's Baby (I've read this novel before but loved the story and had to get it because it was only 0,5e)

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät (Oksanen is my favorite Finnish author, I've been wanting to buy all her books for a while now, and I've never, ever found any of her books in secondhand bookshops. But today I got really lucky and found this one, and for only 3e)

Edited by frankie

First I stopped at a secondhand bookshop, the English lit section was a mess as usual so I took off my coat and got comfortable and went through all the books and organised and put them in nice piles

Good girl! *pats on head*

- Ernest Hemingway: Death in the Afternoon (a Finnish edition, but I don't mind at all because all the Hemingway translations I've read so far have been very pleasant to read)

Yay for Hemingway! Is this one on any of the lists?

- Stephen King: Carrie (I've read this about 2-3 times but I love the story and had to get it because it was in English)

I really should read this one, although I don't even own it yet and I have several other King novels already on my TBR pile.

- Patricia Cornwell: Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed (I've read this once already but really enjoyed it so had to get it because it was in English and only 2e)

Huh. I thought Cornwell only wrote fiction. You learn something new every day.

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex (an English addition to replace my Finnish copy. Now I can give the Finnish copy away to someone. This new one has a beautiful cover which I've never seen before)

Awesome! Such a great book, and I know you really loved it too. :)

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel (haven't read the first novel yet, but had to get this because it was in English)

Yay! Three Men in a Boat is sooo good, and this sequel is supposed to be at least as good, if not better. :) You probably don't need to read them in order (although you might like to check with someone who has actually read both).

- John Steinbeck: Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday (in one book)

Excellent! Steinbeck is one of my favourite authors. I don't own either of these. I occasionally find Steinbeck novels in secondhand shops but I can never remember which ones I own. I got rid of one or two before reading them because they were pretty dodgy editions.

- Daphne du Maurier: The Scapegoat

I haven't heard of this one before. Speaking of du Maurier, I gave my copy of My Cousin Rachel to Mum a while ago, so at least I can borrow it off her if I ever want to read it.

- Dr Spencer Johnson: Who Moved My Cheese? (a Rory book!!)

Woohoo! As you probably remember, I bought this one recently as well. :)

- Terry Pratchett: Witches Abroad (it's so rare to find any English copies of Terry Pratchett novels that I just had to get it)

Great find! It's hard enough to find secondhand Pratchetts in Oz, so I can only imagine how hard they would be to find in Finland!

- Charles Dickens: Great Expectations (this was a Finnish hardback. I rarely even pick hardbacks to see how much they cost, especially if they're such well-loved classics as this, because they're usually very pricey, but this was only 1e!!! And a rather nice edition)

I loved Great Expectations. Have you read this one before?

- Alexander Masters: Stuart - A Life Backwards (I cannot believe I found this, poppyshake will be so pleased! I can't believe I found it just after having discussed the novel and the movie. It's so rare to find anything decent in English at this particular charityshop that I was particularly surprised to find this. And it was only 1e! Amazing!)

Wow! I, too, can't believe you found this so soon after it was discussed on the forum! I'm jealous but very happy for you.

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät (Oksanen is my favorite Finnish author, I've been wanting to buy all her books for a while now, and I've never, ever found any of her books in secondhand bookshops. But today I got really lucky and found this one, and for only 3e)

Another great find! How many books has Oskanen written? Is she very prolific?

A brilliant haul, Frankie! Enjoy cataloguing your new books. biggrin.gif

Edited by Kylie

First I stopped at a secondhand bookshop, the English lit section was a mess as usual so I took off my coat and got comfortable and went through all the books and organised and put them in nice piles

Good girl! *pats on head*

I really enjoyed Three Men on a Boat, I must read this one!

I love Terry Pratchett! I hope you enjoy it!