Frankie Reads 2011

frankie

BF left town to visit his friend and help with his summer cottage, so I thought this was a good day to go to town and visit some secondhand bookshops, charityshops etc. And it was a great trip!

First I stopped at a secondhand bookshop, the English lit section was a mess as usual so I took off my coat and got comfortable and went through all the books and organised and put them in nice piles (the ones that didn't fit in the bookcases). I spent about 2 hours there .. Happy times! (sounds like the best times ever) I found four Tom Clancy novels for BF (ha, ha .. this reminds me of Stuart ... he wanted the book about him to be more like a Tom Clancy novel :D) he's mighty happy. I also got myself these:

- Ernest Hemingway: Death in the Afternoon (a Finnish edition, but I don't mind at all because all the Hemingway translations I've read so far have been very pleasant to read) Ooh .. interested to know your thoughts on this.

- Stephen King: Carrie (I've read this about 2-3 times but I love the story and had to get it because it was in English) Confession time .. I have never ever read a Stephen King book :o too scared!

- Patricia Cornwell: Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed (I've read this once already but really enjoyed it so had to get it because it was in English and only 2e) ditto above.

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex (an English addition to replace my Finnish copy. Now I can give the Finnish copy away to someone. This new one has a beautiful cover which I've never seen before)

Strangely I saw a copy this week with a different cover but I refrained. I've bought the book umpteen times for other people and have a perfectly good copy myself .. but all the same .. I did lust after it.

Eventhough I was happy about all the books I'd found at the secondhand bookshop, I felt that I hadn't found that much, so I visited this flea market which I don't usually like to visit, just to see if they had anything. And it was worth it, I bought:

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel (haven't read the first novel yet, but had to get this because it was in English) I've never heard of this one, it sounds .. rude :smile2: did they get bored on the boat do you think? :lol:

- John Steinbeck: Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday (in one book) I need to read these also .. good find.

- Daphne du Maurier: The Scapegoat Again, never heard of it, but any Daphne is good.

At this point I thought I'd only visit the Red Cross charityshop (careful, last time I went in one they concussed me and I've not been right since :wacko: .. see!) and then go home because I was pretty happy with having found so many books. From the charityshop I got:

- Patrick Süskind: Pigeon (I've been wanting to read this for ages, having loved Perfume so much) Haven't read 'Perfume' yet but must .. everyone raves about it.

- Dr Spencer Johnson: Who Moved My Cheese? (a Rory book!!) This sounds great .. I love the title. What's it about Frankie?

- Terry Pratchett: Witches Abroad (it's so rare to find any English copies of Terry Pratchett novels that I just had to get it) Yay Pratchett!! I haven't got any of his books on the shelf .. I had a prejudice to his covers for the longest time. I need to put that right.

- Charles Dickens: Great Expectations (this was a Finnish hardback. I rarely even pick hardbacks to see how much they cost, especially if they're such well-loved classics as this, because they're usually very pricey, but this was only 1e!!! And a rather nice edition) Love this book, one of the best classics ever.

- Alexander Masters: Stuart - A Life Backwards (I cannot believe I found this, poppyshake will be so pleased! I can't believe I found it just after having discussed the novel and the movie. It's so rare to find anything decent in English at this particular charityshop that I was particularly surprised to find this. And it was only 1e! Amazing!) I am sooo happy :yahoo: you have eagle eyes!! I hope you enjoy reading it Frankie :D

After having such great luck at the charityshop, I thought I'd visit the flea market next door and give it a go, because I was in such a great mood. And I got really lucky there as well:

- Tuija Lehtinen: Ikkunaprinsessa (a Finnish teen novel, one of my favorites from my teenage, and one that I've been trying to find for ages) I love reading books that I loved as a child/teenager but they always seem completely different when I read them later on.

- Väinö Linna: Under the North Star (I found this in English, which surprised me, because it's a Finnish classic and I'm used to seeing only Finnish editions. It was only 1e and I thought I'd buy it just in case there's anyone here on the forum who's been looking for an English copy of this, for their Around the World -challenge or for other reasons) You are benevolence itself ... thinking of your BCF friends :friends0:

- Ira Levin: Rosemary's Baby (I've read this novel before but loved the story and had to get it because it was only 0,5e) This is scarey .. right?

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät (Oksanen is my favorite Finnish author, I've been wanting to buy all her books for a while now, and I've never, ever found any of her books in secondhand bookshops. But today I got really lucky and found this one, and for only 3e) You deserve luck, you sorted shelves for free.

Well done Frankie, an excellent haul .. I only found one book at the charity bookshops today :(

Apologies for blue writing (which I know is going to be troublesome later) I wanted to infiltrate your post and stamp all over it and it was the only way.

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yay, Kylie approved and patted my head! :D

- Ernest Hemingway: Death in the Afternoon (a Finnish edition, but I don't mind at all because all the Hemingway translations I've read so far have been very pleasant to read)

Yay for Hemingway! Is this one on any of the lists?

It's not but I don't mind, I've loved the few books I've read by him, well apart from The Garden of Eden.

- Stephen King: Carrie (I've read this about 2-3 times but I love the story and had to get it because it was in English)

I really should read this one, although I don't even own it yet and I have several other King novels already on my TBR pile.

Yes you should read this one, it's quite short compared to his other novels, and I find it very approachable. And you should get to reading your other King novels sometime too :)

- Patricia Cornwell: Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed (I've read this once already but really enjoyed it so had to get it because it was in English and only 2e)

Huh. I thought Cornwell only wrote fiction. You learn something new every day.

As far as I know this is Cornwell's only non-fiction book. A very good study of the case, she has me convinced of her idea about whodunnit.

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex (an English addition to replace my Finnish copy. Now I can give the Finnish copy away to someone. This new one has a beautiful cover which I've never seen before)

Awesome! Such a great book, and I know you really loved it too.

I know, I was really happy to find it! I think I'll give my Finnish copy to Liisa, my new book group friend.

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel (haven't read the first novel yet, but had to get this because it was in English)

Yay! Three Men in a Boat is sooo good, and this sequel is supposed to be at least as good, if not better. You probably don't need to read them in order (although you might like to check with someone who has actually read both).

Glad to hear you liked TMiaB! I don't know, either, if these should be read in order but I think I will, just in case. The first novel is in the library and in English too, so I won't have any problems locating it.

- John Steinbeck: Cannery Row & Sweet Thursday (in one book)

Excellent! Steinbeck is one of my favourite authors. I don't own either of these. I occasionally find Steinbeck novels in secondhand shops but I can never remember which ones I own. I got rid of one or two before reading them because they were pretty dodgy editions.

CR is on 1001, which I was happy to find out when I came home and checked my reading log. You should keep a list of the books you already own in the series and/or by the authors you collect with you at all times, but you already know that, I've told you like a hundred times :rolleyes: Repetitive ole frankie.

- Daphne du Maurier: The Scapegoat

I haven't heard of this one before. Speaking of du Maurier, I gave my copy of My Cousin Rachel to Mum a while ago, so at least I can borrow it off her if I ever want to read it.

Oh, I'm glad you gave it to your Mum and not to a secondhand bookshop, you can always borrow it. I'm really loving it, I had no idea that Maurier could be so good! Now I'm buying all the Mauriers I can find.

- Dr Spencer Johnson: Who Moved My Cheese? (a Rory book!!)

Woohoo! As you probably remember, I bought this one recently as well.

Yep, I remember! Good on us both :cool:

- Terry Pratchett: Witches Abroad (it's so rare to find any English copies of Terry Pratchett novels that I just had to get it)

Great find! It's hard enough to find secondhand Pratchetts in Oz, so I can only imagine how hard they would be to find in Finland!

I'm kinda bummed that this isn't the first Witches book in the series but I just had to get the book. One of the volunteers at the charityshop was actually just bringing in the book and a couple of others, and when he was placing one book, I noticed the Pratchett copy and snatched it right away! Poor man must've thought 'where did the book go?! Surely I had another one with me just now'. :lol:

- Charles Dickens: Great Expectations (this was a Finnish hardback. I rarely even pick hardbacks to see how much they cost, especially if they're such well-loved classics as this, because they're usually very pricey, but this was only 1e!!! And a rather nice edition)

I loved Great Expectations. Have you read this one before?

No I haven't, and that's also another reason why I was particularly happy to find this copy!

- Alexander Masters: Stuart - A Life Backwards (I cannot believe I found this, poppyshake will be so pleased! I can't believe I found it just after having discussed the novel and the movie. It's so rare to find anything decent in English at this particular charityshop that I was particularly surprised to find this. And it was only 1e! Amazing!)

Wow! I, too, can't believe you found this so soon after it was discussed on the forum! I'm jealous but very happy for you.

Such luck, I still can't believe it. I hope you find a copy soon yourself! :friends3:

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät (Oksanen is my favorite Finnish author, I've been wanting to buy all her books for a while now, and I've never, ever found any of her books in secondhand bookshops. But today I got really lucky and found this one, and for only 3e)

Another great find! How many books has Oskanen written? Is she very prolific?

So far Oksanen has written 3 books, and each one is better than the ones before. She wrote Purge which I bought for you, remember? That novel has been obviously translated into English and the play is also pretty popular I hear, they have it in the States for example. I think she's going to be one of our most famous and successful authors.

I'm glad you had a chance to check out my new purchases before going to sleep, but I wouldn't have minded if you hadn't commented on them today, knowing you have a headache :friends0: I hope you sleep well and feel better tomorrow!

I really enjoyed Three Men on a Boat, I must read this one!

I love Terry Pratchett! I hope you enjoy it!

Ooh, another person who's enjoyed Three Men on a Boat, you guys are more numerous than I thought! :)

Edited by frankie

I found four Tom Clancy novels for BF (ha, ha .. this reminds me of Stuart ... he wanted the book about him to be more like a Tom Clancy novel ) he's mighty happy.

Stuart was hard to please, wasn't he? :D If I'm not hallucinating, I think I remember hearing/reading somewhere that when Masters was writing the book, and Stuart was reading through the original manuscript, he said something like it was boring and it should be constructed in a completely different manner. (Maybe I read this in the Hornby book) I'm not sure but he might've even gone as far as wanting to write the book himself, at least some parts of it. I should check this before I start to claim that yes, that's how it all went down :giggle2:

- Stephen King: Carrie (I've read this about 2-3 times but I love the story and had to get it because it was in English) Confession time .. I have never ever read a Stephen King book too scared!

Oh, really? :huh: Have you ever wanted to try? If you want to read something non-scary by King, you could read the Rita Hayworth story, or was it called Shawshank Redemption, I can never remember. It takes place in a prison, is not scary in itself and there's nothing supernatural. The movie is far better than the novel, though :rolleyes:

- Patricia Cornwell: Portrait of a Killer - Jack the Ripper Case Closed ditto above.

This is a pretty horrendous book, there was a lot of graphic details about the murders so can't really blame you on this one.

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex. Strangely I saw a copy this week with a different cover but I refrained. I've bought the book umpteen times for other people and have a perfectly good copy myself .. but all the same .. I did lust after it.

Aww, that's so sweet of you to keep buying copies of the book to give to friends! I know how it is, just today I once again noticed a copy of The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer and wanted to buy it. Eventhough I have a Finnish copy and two English copies. :blush:

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel. I've never heard of this one, it sounds .. rude did they get bored on the boat do you think?

I confess, I don't know what the word 'bummel' means. I've only ever heard the word when I come across with this novel. From what I know I feel the three men were far too happy a bunch to get bored on the boat :D

At this point I thought I'd only visit the Red Cross charityshop (careful, last time I went in one they concussed me and I've not been right since .. see!) and then go home because I was pretty happy with having found so many books.

Mine was a pretty tame and safe charityshop, fortunately!

- Patrick Süskind: Pigeon. Haven't read 'Perfume' yet but must .. everyone raves about it.

You definitely should, it's mighty excellent! And the movie is great too.

- Dr Spencer Johnson: Who Moved My Cheese?. This sounds great .. I love the title. What's it about Frankie?

It says in the blurb that it's an "amusing and enlightening story of four characters who live in a maze and look for cheese to nourish them and make them happy. Cheese is a metaphor for what you want to have in life - whether it is a good job, a loving relationship, money or a possession, health or spiritual peace of mind"

- Charles Dickens: Great Expectations. Love this book, one of the best classics ever.

I'm afraid Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones spoiled it for me a bit, because before reading that novel, I had no idea what the book is about, eventhough it's a well-known classic. But I've tried to forget as much as possible, because I've been wanting to read this book for so long.

- Alexander Masters: Stuart - A Life Backwards. I am sooo happy you have eagle eyes!! I hope you enjoy reading it Frankie

I knew you'd be pleased! I'm practically over the moon with this find! :lol:

- Ira Levin: Rosemary's Baby.This is scarey .. right?

Yep, very scary!

Am now going to go and check your own reading blog to see which book you found today!

Wow brilliant haul Frankie :D

I have Carrie on my TBR Pile, glad to hear it comes highly recommended :D

You have some great books there, can't wait to hear what you think to some of them :D

Thanks lauraloves, I had a great time and found some truly excellent books! :smile2:Carrie definitely comes with my recommendations :cool:

Today I went to see the uni's free book exchange bookcase and found myself an English copy to replace my Finnish copy of Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island, I'm truly pleased! I also found an English copy of The Journals of Sylvia Plath, which I already have as a later edition with all the previously sensored bits, but I snatched it up anyway in case someone here on the forum wants the copy. I'm going to start my own book swap -thread and list the English titles I'm willing to part with there, along with a copy of my wishlist.

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex

I think I'll give my Finnish copy to Liisa, my new book group friend.

That's so nice of you! I don't really think you can go wrong with Middlesex, so I'm sure Liisa will love it.

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel Glad to hear you liked TMiaB! I don't know, either, if these should be read in order but I think I will, just in case. The first novel is in the library and in English too, so I won't have any problems locating it.

That's good news. I'd recommend borrowing it as soon as you get home. It's a delightful read, and a quick one.

You should keep a list of the books you already own in the series and/or by the authors you collect with you at all times, but you already know that, I've told you like a hundred times :rolleyes: Repetitive ole frankie.

I carry my iPad pretty much everywhere, and that has my lists on it, but I think I either forget or I'm reluctant to take it out in a shop in front of other people.

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät

She wrote Purge which I bought for you, remember?

Of course I remember! It's a treasured book of mine. friends3.gif

I couldn't help but comment straight away on your books, especially seeing as I had just given you grief for not posting them straight away! giggle.gif

Congrats on today's book purchases. I'm glad to see you're finally buying more books. I was getting a bit worried about you! tongue.gif

Edited by Kylie

- Jeffrey Eugenides: Middlesex

I think I'll give my Finnish copy to Liisa, my new book group friend.

That's so nice of you! I don't really think you can go wrong with Middlesex, so I'm sure Liisa will love it.

I think she will like it too! And if not, I'm going to be very suspicious about her taste in books :giggle2:

- Jerome K. Jerome: Three Men on the Bummel Glad to hear you liked TMiaB! I don't know, either, if these should be read in order but I think I will, just in case. The first novel is in the library and in English too, so I won't have any problems locating it.

That's good news. I'd recommend borrowing it as soon as you get home. It's a delightful read, and a quick one.

I'll try! Just have too many books to read... :blush:

You should keep a list of the books you already own in the series and/or by the authors you collect with you at all times, but you already know that, I've told you like a hundred times :rolleyes: Repetitive ole frankie.

I carry my iPad pretty much everywhere, and that has my lists on it, but I think I either forget or I'm reluctant to take it out in a shop in front of other people.

Ah yes, your handy iPad, should've remembered. You shouldn't feel reluctant about taking it out in public. I have my list in my wallet which is inside my backpack and I know I must look really suspicious sometimes when I'm in a bookstore and go through my backpack, but I just think to myself, I have nothing to hide, and if people look at me for a bit longer they must notice that I'm only taking out a piece of paper to look at and compare to the books I'm holding.

- Sofi Oksanen: Stalinin lehmät

She wrote Purge which I bought for you, remember?

Of course I remember! It's a treasured book of mine. friends3.gif

I'm a bit worried that you might not like it, it's not the sort of thing you usually read... But I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And I won't mind if you don't like it. Just don't throw it in the bin, take it to a secondhand bookshop, maybe Oksanen will soon be discovered in Australia as well.

I couldn't help but comment straight away on your books, especially seeing as I had just given you grief for not posting them straight away! :giggle:

Hehe! Well I appreciate it all the same :empathy:

Congrats on today's book purchases. I'm glad to see you're finally buying more books. I was getting a bit worried about you! tongue.gif

I think I've acquired 88 books now. And do you know what? My TBR peaked at 401 two days ago!!!! I was slightly worried. Then I read two books. Haha now I'm at 399 again, phew! :giggle:

Day 02 – A book that you’ve read more than 3 times

According to my goodreads account I've read the following books more than three times:

~ Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (both in English and in Finnish)

~ Anastasia series (#1-5) by Lois Lowry

~ Bridget Jones diaries by Helen Fielding

~ Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

~ The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer by Jennifer Lynch

When I was a kid I used to re-read the same books all the time, but I've recorded the books I've read only since 1998 so I have no records of anything I've read before that. Just going by my memory, I'd say that I've read these following books at least 3 times as well:

~ Misery by Stephen King

~ Adrian Mole diaries (#1-3) by Sue Townsend

~ It by Stephen King

~ Carrie by Stephen King

~ And I Don't Want to Live This Life by Deborah Spungen

~ Little Vampire series by Angela Sommer-Bodenburg

~ The Bill Bergson series by Astrid Lindgren

~ Brothers Lionheart by Astrid Lindgren

~ The Six Bullerby Children by Astrid Lindgren

~ The Dark Room by Minette Walters

~ The Rage by Richard Bachman

Edited by frankie

Today I went to see the uni's free book exchange bookcase and found myself an English copy to replace my Finnish copy of Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island

Love that book, makes me laugh .. everything he says about us is true!!

I love your idea about the bookswap thread Frankie ... genius!

Love that book, makes me laugh .. everything he says about us is true!!

I love your idea about the bookswap thread Frankie ... genius!

Ahaa! So I have your permission to take everything he says as the truth about the Brits. Wohoo! I hope he makes a lot of great observations. I've heard so many great things about Bryson and his books, that I was really happy to find this book, especially since it's in English.

I have no idea why more people don't take advantage of the opportunity of making their own bookswap thread on here. (especially if they live in the UK). It's a great way of giving away your books (you know they'll be going to a great home) and getting new ones to read in return.

Day 03 – Your favourite series

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Who came up with these questions? Have they no idea how difficult it is to choose between so many great series? Have they no idea how many great series there are to be read? Who cares, it's time for the non-annual Frankie Awards!

Winner of the Favorite Foreign Teenage Series: Anastasia Krupnik by Lois Lowry

Winning attributes: main character is superbly witty, intelligent, quirky, lovable and highly literate and happens to have the best parents in the world of literature and the most sweetest little brother anyone could hope fore. Main character is also highly approachable and easy to relate to.

Winner of the Favorite Finnish Young Adult Series: Sanna by Anu Jaantila

Winning attributes: main character goes to US for a student exchange year, and thus frankie learns a lot about America and soon she wishes to spend a year there, herself. Philosophical, linguistic. We also meet chicanos: or rather, Sam, who is every young adult's dream partner.

Winner of the Favorite Foreign Young Adult Series: Making Waves by Katherine Applegate

Winning attributes: learning about the dating code in the US, and getting to read about awfully many young nice guys. Nostalgia!

Winner of the Favorite L. M. Montgomery Series: Emily by L. M. Montgomery

Winning attributes: Emily strives to be an author, despite of numerous obstacles in her path. Good old times, a certain Canadian atmosphere.

Winner of the Favorite Children's Book Series: Tiina by Anni Polva

Winning attributes: A girl who is not an ordinary girl of the 50s-60s: she speaks her mind, she doesn't know how to knit, she isn't afraid to defend the weak, she's a great athlete and she fights like boys and with boys.

Winner of the Favorite Chick-Lit Series: Bridget Jones by Helen Fieding

Winning attributes: The books never get old no matter how many times frankie reads them. Funny, funnier, funniest! And Mark Darcy.

Winner of the Favorite Fantary Series: Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling

Winning attributes: Fantastic stories, wonderful characters, always something new to notice and learn. And Ron, Snape and Neville Longbottom.

Winner of the Favorite First-Seen-on-TV-Then-Read-the-Books series: Trial & Retribution by Lynda la Plante

Winning attributes: Short and to the point, and yet very creepy! Things aren't always what they seem at first. Pure genious.

Winner of the Favorite Children's Detective Series: Bill Bergson by Astrid Lindgren

Winning attributes: Written by the Scandinavian Queen of Literature, Astrid Lindgren. My most favorite young detective with his two friends, who fight the war of the Roses while battling the criminal minds of Sweden. Excellent.

Winner of the Favorite Male Serial Killer Series: Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

Winning attributes: How many serial Killers can you name whose acts can be justified to a degree, and who can turn your socks around?

Winner of the Favorite Female Serial Killer Series: Gretchen Lowell by Chelsea Cain

Winning attributes: it's a nice change to get to read about a female serial killer. The second novel was especially shocking.

Winner of the Favorite Young Adult Series Written in the Form of Diary: Adrian Mole by Sue Townsend

Winning attributes: main character is as neurotic and unfathomable as can be. Includes numerous quirky, incomprehensible characters.

Winner of the Favorite Thriller Series Written by a Woman: Grant County + Will Trent by Karin Slaughter

Winning attributes: Intriguing and scary cases to be cracked by a mixed set of characters, ones that aren't polished to be perfect, machine-like solvers of crimes, but who are every bit as authentic as the the next guy/gal.

Winner of the Favorite Thriller Series Written by a Man: Lincoln Rhyme by Jeffery Deaver

Winning attributes: includes my most favorite quadriplegic character in the history of literature. A mastermind. Incredible storylines and twists that leave your heart pounding. Unputdownable!

Winner of the Favorite Vampire Series: Sookie Stackhouse by Charlaine Harris

Winning attributes: the most desirable vampire character known to man - and vampires. Sassy, scary, sinister,...

Winner of the Favorite TV Show Made into Novels Series: Mr Monk by Lee Goldberg

Winning attributes: Goldberg has taken up a very courageous task of trying to make the famoust TV detective seem just as believable in books. I believe he pulls it off quite nicely, and this makes a fun series to read.

Frankie Hate -award goes to: the publishing team of the wonderful Anastasia Krupnik series, who denied Lois Lowry her wish to publish more Anastasia novels! I'm a hater.

Special Mention goes to Lois Lowry, who took time of her busy author's life to answer to frankie's e-mail in which she celebrated her discovery of four more Anastasia novels that had been published back in the day but had never been translated into Finnish, which is why frankie didn't discover these books until the year 2010.

Okay, but first things first. Just came back from the library and the flea market, and I got the following books:

Daphne du Maurier: The Birds and Other Stories

Väinö Linna: Täällä Pohjantähden alla #1 and #3 (Under the North Star -trilogy)

Honoré de Balzac: Lost Illusions

Annie Hawes: Ripe for the Picking (sequel to Extra Virgin)

Anna Gavalda: Hunting and Gathering

Peter Høeg: The Woman and the Ape

Mary McCarthy: And No Bird Sang

Simone de Beauvoir: She Came to Stay

Thomas Mann: Doctor Faustus

Pentti Saarikoski: Euroopan reuna

Ingmar Bergman: Fanny and Alexander

Now I need to just check if any of these are on any of my lists... I really hope some are.

Oh pony's behind!, this means that I've acquired exactly 100 books so far this year :rolleyes:

Edited by frankie

Ahaa! So I have your permission to take everything he says as the truth about the Brits. Wohoo! I hope he makes a lot of great observations. I've heard so many great things about Bryson and his books, that I was really happy to find this book, especially since it's in English.

I have no idea why more people don't take advantage of the opportunity of making their own bookswap thread on here. (especially if they live in the UK). It's a great way of giving away your books (you know they'll be going to a great home) and getting new ones to read in return.

Yes, I must list some books, the trouble is if I like the book I tend to want to keep it and if I don't I feel mean about offering it for swap. I do have quite a few duplicate copies of books though (don't ask .. I've no idea how that happens) so I must get myself organised.

Bill is great, I think we claim him as British now :wink:

Okay, but first things first. Just came back from the library and the flea market, and I got the following books:

Väinö Linna: Täällä Pohjantähden alla #1 and #3 (Under the North Star -trilogy)

Honoré de Balzac: Lost Illusions

Annie Hawes: Ripe for the Picking (sequel to Extra Virgin)

Anna Gavalda: Hunting and Gathering

Simone de Beauvoir: She Came to Stay

Pentti Saarikoski: Euroopan reuna

Now I need to just check if any of these are on any of my lists... I really hope some are.

shhhhhhh, this means that I've acquired exactly 100 books so far this year :rolleyes:

Let's face it Frankie, you've done more than a bit of freestyling here .. good, I approve :D

mocking.gif Is there a series you haven't listed here, Frankie?

I'd like to hear more about the email Lois Lowry sent you, please!

Yes there are series I haven't listed, you smarty pants! Do you want me to list them now? That's why I invented the different categories so I could mention all my favorite series. I know you're going to cheat in your answers too, and I'll remember this when you get to your answers!! Mwuahahaha :D

I couldn't remember what exactly I wrote to Lowry, so I had to go and check my mailbox. Apparently I rambled on quite a lot! Basically I told her how much I love the series, how I used to read them back when I was just a kid, and how I still read the books every now and then and they still amaze me, each and every time. And how I love all the characters, how her parents are amazing, how I can really relate to Anastasia, and how I used to want all the things she had. She loves lists, oh and I can't continue on because you haven't read all the books. Well there are loads of similar factors in my and Anastasia's life.

I also told Lowry that only the first 5 novels have been translated into Finnish, and it wasn't until the year 2010 that I found out that there are 4 more books to the series, and that I just had to buy them and read them. And it's like meeting an old, dear friend.

This is her reply:

"Dear Sari: What a treat to read your letter! I feel the same way about Anastasia---as if she is an old friend---but sadly, the publisher, some years ago, told me ENOUGH and didn't want to publish any more of them. I think there are nine altogether plus four others about her brother, Sam...but that is all there will ever be. So it is always a pleasure when I hear from someone who loves them!

Lois Lowry "

Isn't that awesome :smile2:

I haven't heard of too many of the books you bought, so I can only comment on a few:

I reckon this will be a great read (I have it on my TBR pile too). The Hitchcock movie is excellent as well. It has really stuck in my mind and I'm reminded of it whenever I see a gathering of birds. huh.gif

What? I thought you didn't like Hoeg any more than I did?! You're too kind; I certainly won't be giving him a second chance.

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. While I am enjoying The Group to an extent, I don't think I'll be in too much of a rush to buy anything else by McCarthy.

I'm nearly certain this is at least on the 1001 list.

What's this about?

Oh pony's behind!, this means that I've acquired exactly 100 books so far this year

That's nowhere near enough, Frankie! Get crackin', girl!

Yes there are series I haven't listed, you smarty pants! Do you want me to list them now? That's why I invented the different categories so I could mention all my favorite series. I know you're going to cheat in your answers too, and I'll remember this when you get to your answers!! Mwuahahaha :D

I wasn't planning on cheating that much! I especially liked that you split 'female serial killers' and 'male serial killers' into their own categories. giggle.gif

"Dear Sari: What a treat to read your letter! I feel the same way about Anastasia---as if she is an old friend---but sadly, the publisher, some years ago, told me ENOUGH and didn't want to publish any more of them. I think there are nine altogether plus four others about her brother, Sam...but that is all there will ever be. So it is always a pleasure when I hear from someone who loves them!

Lois Lowry "

Awww, that is so lovely! I love her even more now. :) I reckon she should tell the publishers where to go and take Anastasia elsewhere. I just know there would be publishing companies who would love to bring Anastasia back. They really are terrific books. I want to review them but I'm so far behind in my reviews as it is. rolleyes.gif

Yes, I must list some books, the trouble is if I like the book I tend to want to keep it and if I don't I feel mean about offering it for swap. I do have quite a few duplicate copies of books though (don't ask .. I've no idea how that happens) so I must get myself organised.

Bill is great, I think we claim him as British now :wink:

Why would you feel mean if you offered a book which you didn't like up for swap? One man's trash is another man's treasure, we all have different tastes.

Hehe, I didn't even remember (or know?) that Bill Bryson isn't British :lol: You should't have said anything!

Let's face it Frankie, you've done more than a bit of freestyling here .. good, I approve :D

I'm having a blonde moment: did you mean that it's quite an ecclectic haul or did you refer to my nasty word being made into something completely different? :blush:

I reckon this will be a great read (I have it on my TBR pile too). The Hitchcock movie is excellent as well. It has really stuck in my mind and I'm reminded of it whenever I see a gathering of birds.

I had no idea it's the story which the Hitchcock movie is based on, holy heck! Now I'm even happier I bought it. It was only 30 cents, can you believe it?? And it's a du Maurier :cool: Oh yep and when I went on goodreads to see what the book is called there, I noticed that you've marked it as to-be-read :smile2:

What? I thought you didn't like Hoeg any more than I did?! You're too kind; I certainly won't be giving him a second chance.

Well, this is a book that my Swedish professor talked about on our Nordic lit course and I felt I had to get it. It was only 1e. (All the novels were for 1e, except for the du Maurier.)

I'll be interested in your thoughts on this. While I am enjoying The Group to an extent, I don't think I'll be in too much of a rush to buy anything else by McCarthy.

I know what you mean, but I feel that now that I know what McCarthy's novels are like, I have lower expectations. And I liked the premise of the novel.

I'm nearly certain this is at least on the 1001 list.

Yeah I'm pretty sure of that too, that's why I got it. I think the de Balzac book might also be on the list, I'm at least hoping it is!

What's this about?

Ingmar Bergman was a famous Swedish director, producer and writer, and this is one of his films, I think it's pretty famous, if not internationally, then at least in the Nordic countries (and maybe Europe). The movie came first, then the novelisation. (googled F&A, aparently the movie received four Academy Awards!)

That's nowhere near enough, Frankie! Get crackin', girl!

If you mean to imply I should keep up with your pace, you are going to be very disappointed!

I wasn't planning on cheating that much! I especially liked that you split 'female serial killers' and 'male serial killers' into their own categories. giggle.gif

Well they do have the male lead AND female lead etc. in the Academy Awards, for example, right? :giggle2:

Awww, that is so lovely! I love her even more now. :) I reckon she should tell the publishers where to go and take Anastasia elsewhere. I just know there would be publishing companies who would love to bring Anastasia back. They really are terrific books. I want to review them but I'm so far behind in my reviews as it is. rolleyes.gif

Yep, Lowry's the coolest. I'd love to read more about Anastasia, maybe how she's doing in her thirties, forties and so on. It would be fantastic!

Edit: Wohoo, Doctor Faustus and Lost Illusions are both on the 1001 List, like I thought they might be!

Edited by frankie

Why would you feel mean if you offered a book which you didn't like up for swap? One man's trash is another man's treasure, we all have different tastes.

Yes, you're right .. but you know it's hard to pass a book on without a recommendation. It's like 'here, have this ... I thought it was codswallop but you might like it :D '

Hehe, I didn't even remember (or know?) that Bill Bryson isn't British :lol: You should't have said anything!

He's originally from Des Moines,Iowa but he's lived here, on and off, since 1977 .. and we're very glad to have him :D

I'm having a blonde moment: did you mean that it's quite an ecclectic haul or did you refer to my nasty word being made into something completely different? :blush:

I meant I couldn't see many of them on your list :D but I missed the two from the 1001, so apologies :flowers2:

I see from my Goodreads update that you loved 'My Cousin Rachel' ... does it have a bit of an ambiguous ending? only I was listening to it being read on the radio, over a couple of days, and it sort of ended without me really knowing what happened .. I thumped the radio a few times to see if it was at fault but no, there was the lady announcer telling me that a new story would begin the following day. Is it one of those endings where you have to make your own mind up or did I miss an important clue? (I am a bit obtuse when it comes to endings .. I need them spelt out loud and clear or I start looking for missing pages :lol: ) I was so hooked up to that point that it made me miserable to think that I hadn't properly understood it.

I love Annie Hawes books, frankie! I've read her first three, and have A Handful of Honey on my TBR shelf. I think it's because I'm having a secret love affair with Italy, and love reading travel books and memoirs set there.

I never knew Fanny and Alexander was a book - we have an old VHS box set of it, and I'm going to get round to buying it on DVD at some point. It's an amazing film though.

What a lovely response from Lois Lowry. I love it when authors are receptive to correspondence from readers, it's such a wonderful experience to be able to communicate with someone whose work you've enjoyed.

Yes, you're right .. but you know it's hard to pass a book on without a recommendation. It's like 'here, have this ... I thought it was codswallop but you might like it '

I think you could do it all without saying it's codswallop in your opinion :lol:

He's originally from Des Moines,Iowa but he's lived here, on and off, since 1977 .. and we're very glad to have him

I thought that surely if he's not British, he must be Australian, or maybe Canadian. An American? That I had not even considered for some odd reason.

I meant I couldn't see many of them on your list :D but I missed the two from the 1001, so apologies :flowers2:

Ah yes :giggle: Well truth be told, I hardly ever find any books from my wishlist when I'm bookshopping at the library sale or flea markets. So I just have to sort of... let my hair down and go for the stuff that I like the sound of. I guess I could've stated more firmly my reasons behind all the books I bought.

McCarthy: And No Bird Sang - The Rory Group is reading The Group by McCarthy at the moment and her works are mentioned in the show and I thought since she was a controversial author during her time I should look into her other books as well, if I have the chance. And I do, now.

Hawes: Ripe for the Picking - I've always wanted to read Hawes's books about her staying in Italy because, like chesilbeach, I have a secret soft spot for Italy and travel books set there. It wasn't on the wishlist because I knew I could borrow the books at the library whenever.

du Maurier: I'll buy any du Maurier from now on out, having liked My Cousin Rachel so much. Just haven't added all her novels in my wishlist because I think she's a prolific writer and it would take me ages.

de Beauvoir: She Came to Stay - I thought that this might be in the 1001 list. And even if it isn't (which is the case), I think Simone de Beauvoir is one of the authors I'll by anything by. I haven't read anything by her yet, but for some reason I think she has a lot to say. And I'm not sorry that I bought the book, because according to wikipedia: "She Came to Stay is a "fictional account of her and Jean-Paul Sartre's relationship with Olga Kosakiewicz and Wanda Kosakiewicz." So almost like an autobiography! And we know how much we like those, aye? :cool:

Saarikoski: The Edge of Europe - Saarikoski was one of Finland's most influential poets and translators in his time, I've so far read one of his diaries and one of his wife's (who is an author herself) autobiographical book about her and Saarikoski, which I absolutely loved. And wiki also says: "According to Saarikoski, he was the only person in the world having translated both Homer's and Joyce's Ulysess – a statement that probably holds true even today. Moreover, it only took two years for him to translate Homer's Odyssey from Victor Bérard's edition, which is thought to be a rather fast accomplishment. Other notable translations include Poetics by Aristotle and Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger."

Anna Gavalda: Hunting and Gathering - This book is one that I've read before and loved, and had to snatch it!

Ingmar Bergman: Fanny and Alexander - Apparently the movie won 4 Academy Awards, and I've been wanting to see it now for a while, and I had to get the book when I had the chance.

Väinö Linna: Under the North Star - This isn't on my wishlist because I don't have any of my Finnish must-have-books on my wishlist. Next to Unknown Soldier (by the same author), this is one of the most classic Finnish novels there are. I read Unknown Soldier maybe two years ago (shameful to have left it unread for so long!) and really loved it eventhough it's a war novel and I thought those books don't go well with me. So have been wanting to read this series ever since then.

Thomas Mann: Doctor Faustus - This is on the 1001 List. Also, the blurb was pretty convincing, the novel has to do with the protagonist of a classic German legend, Faustus (which I admittedly didn't know about until just now :blush:)

Edited by frankie

Poppyshake: In my opinion there was nothing ambiguous about the ending (regarding My Cousin Rachel). There was one aspect that seemed a bit ambiguous to the main character, about another character's personality, but I, as a reader, had no problems making up my mind about it. And that part wasn't even at the end of the novel. So I think you could read the book to get it right, and because it was a good one :D

I love Annie Hawes books, frankie! I've read her first three, and have A Handful of Honey on my TBR shelf. I think it's because I'm having a secret love affair with Italy, and love reading travel books and memoirs set there.

Yay, I'm happy to hear someone has enjoyed her books! Like I already told poppyshake, I have a secret crush on Italy as well, and would like to read books that are set there, be they memoirs, travel books, or even just non-fiction of other sort. I still need to either buy the first book in the series or borrow it from the library before getting into this one, but no worries, the library's always there :)

I never knew Fanny and Alexander was a book - we have an old VHS box set of it, and I'm going to get round to buying it on DVD at some point. It's an amazing film though.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't seen the film. For some reason I always thought that Ingmar Bergman was one of those really hard to understand directors, a bit like Lars von Trier or David Lynch. Then this one time I caught a glimpse of the movie and it seemed straightforward enough :D And even interesting. I couldn't watch the whole movie then, I was on my way somewhere, but ever since then I've wanted to watch the movie and now I have the book as well. We'll have to see how I like it.

What a lovely response from Lois Lowry. I love it when authors are receptive to correspondence from readers, it's such a wonderful experience to be able to communicate with someone whose work you've enjoyed.

I agree, I was astonished that she replied to my e-mail, especially since I was rambling on. I just had so much to say to her because I love her Anastasia books. And she replied during that same day, even!! I was well impressed :)

I just took a look at what kind of question Day 4 has to offer (Day 04 – Favourite book of your favourite series) ...

mocking.gif Is there a series you haven't listed here, Frankie?

... and I think I'm in trouble.

Edited by frankie

I think you could do it all without saying it's codswallop in your opinion :lol:

Yes, but there's that worry isn't there? that they'll think it's codswallop too and resent you for lumbering them with it :lol: I know, I know .. I'm being too super sensitive about it .. people are wise enough to make their own decisions.

Ah yes :giggle: Well truth be told, I hardly ever find any books from my wishlist when I'm bookshopping at the library sale or flea markets. So I just have to sort of... let my hair down and go for the stuff that I like the sound of. I guess I could've stated more firmly my reasons behind all the books I bought.

I know, it's enormously difficult to find the exact books you want. I almost never find books, locally at any rate, from my wishlist .. the library is the only possibility. But then it's good not to be so regimented ... some of the best reads are books you come across by accident

du Maurier: I'll buy any du Maurier from now on out, having liked My Cousin Rachel so much. Just haven't added all her novels in my wishlist because I think she's a prolific writer and it would take me ages.

I've only read Rebecca which I loved. I have a vague understanding of My Cousin Rachel and Jamaica Inn but must read them because I'm sure they'd be even better than the abridged readings I've heard of them.

Poppyshake: In my opinion there was nothing ambiguous about the ending (regarding My Cousin Rachel). There was one aspect that seemed a bit ambiguous to the main character, about another character's personality, but I, as a reader, had no problems making up my mind about it. And that part wasn't even at the end of the novel. So I think you could read the book to get it right, and because it was a good one :D

Ahh it must have been the adaptation then, I will read it because you say so :D and also because I liked the sound of it.

What a treasure Lois Lowry is and what a lovely reply. I've not read any of her books but I will seek them out. Perhaps if you encouraged all BCF members to read them then the publishers might think again!:D

Re: Hans Christian Andersen/Dickens: I lost respect for Dickens when I read about how he treated his wife :o I admire his novels tremendously but, the more I read about him, the more my opinion of him sinks :(

Yay, I'm happy to hear someone has enjoyed her books! Like I already told poppyshake, I have a secret crush on Italy as well, and would like to read books that are set there, be they memoirs, travel books, or even just non-fiction of other sort. I still need to either buy the first book in the series or borrow it from the library before getting into this one, but no worries, the library's always there :)

You should definitely look out for two Tim Parks books called Italian Neighbours and An Italian Education if you haven't already read them - two of my favourite books on living in Italy.